Her Kingdom Is In Flames

Her Kingdom Is In Flames

A Chapter by SilverInk
"

Carli retreats to her safe place - more secrets are revealed.

"

Carli was running home, tears flying from her lashes. Stop it. Stop it right now. But the tears wouldn’t stop. The bus stop seemed farther from home than it ever had.  The scent of roses soon arrived, and she knew she was home.

Here it was. The smallest library in California. Her mother’s.

“Home” never referred to the place she lived. Even when her father asked her where she was, she would say “I’m home” and he would come get her from the library.  

Carli hadn’t been to the library in a year, not since...

It smelled of roses and cinnamon and fresh ink. The good kind, too. Her mother never hesitated to supply her library with the best of the best.

Carli made her way to the left corner of the library, where her life had changed forever.

It was a year and a day ago.

Carli slumped to the carpeted floors. I love you, mom.

Sobs.


Mom, where does this one go?” Carli asked.

*Carolina took the book and placed it on a high shelf. “Those go at the  top.”

“Why can’t they be lower? I read those the most.”

“The best things in life don’t go on the bottom shelf, for everyone to see and touch. They go on top, where they are safe.”

That was the last thing Carolina Starr* Sr. ever said.



© 2017 SilverInk


Author's Note

SilverInk
*"Carolina"* refers to Carli's mother, not Carli. They have the same name.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love the suspense, the flashback. In fact I love your style

Posted 5 Years Ago


very nice, story is intriguing. Will definitely read more when I have more time.

Posted 6 Years Ago


SilverInk

6 Years Ago

Thanks for your review, Julia!
Julia

6 Years Ago

no problem
Ah! The emotions! I love this chapter! It's so strong, and with the flashback..it makes me want to cry T-T

Posted 6 Years Ago


SilverInk

6 Years Ago

Happy to know that I made a reader feel something. Thanks for reading!
This is good! I like how you hinted at the mom being dead, but didn't reveal it until later. You are keeping thing a mystery and that is what keeps people reading. Can't wait for more chapters!

Posted 6 Years Ago


SilverInk

6 Years Ago

Will do. Thanks so much!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

251 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on December 9, 2017
Last Updated on December 13, 2017


Author

SilverInk
SilverInk

New York, NY



About
This account is no longer active. more..

Writing
My Guest My Guest

A Poem by SilverInk