Chapter Four

Chapter Four

A Chapter by Elina
"

Joenek and Edileth must learn to deal with one another, as they begin their travels together.

"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter Three

 

Why did I agree to this stupid scheme? The agitated elf grumbled under his breath.

As Joenek traipsed along beside the determined she-elf, he continued to bemoan his circumstances. Thrice, now, he and Edileth had exchanged heated words of argumentation.

And it’s only been two hours since we left La’el. Joenek thought, grimly. And that wasn’t even the worst of it. After a two-day journey to some unknown location, they would be stuck waiting for who-knew-how-long, with naught but each other for company.

The seething roth swore under his breath.

Ugh! She’s so stubborn! With that thought, Joenek returned to musing over the events that had transpired after the Elaborathin attack.

 

 

After the humiliation of having been bested by a female, Joenek had been led to the Canopy Inner. He had walked along the elaborately designed houses and wondered at why the rothnak would have led him to so luxurious a place. She had escorted him along and finally stopped at a somewhat simply-designed home. She had knocked upon the door and awaited an answer. When a tall, aging elf opened the door she had smiled before stepping into the sparsely-furnished house. Once inside, the roth spoke with the female.

“What’s this, Edileth? Do mine eyes deceive me, or has this young roth outdone you?”

Joenek had seen her look of contempt and bruised pride before she had concealed it and spoken.

“My good sir, Repind, what you speak is true…in part.” At her last two words, a smirk had played on Edileth’s lips. “This…cad received his reprimand, yet still he refuses to relinquish the Orb.”

Once more, her anger had shown as clear as day.

Repind had given a quiet chortle and put his hand upon one of Edileth’s shoulders. He had looked down at her rigid form with smiling green eyes and spoken gently to her, almost as a father would.

“Well, my dear, it would seem that Feridh has much in store.” Here the roth had paused, as though to make certain of something. “You shall take this young roth with you.”

At Edileth’s look of dismay and gasp of derision, the auburn-haired elf held up his hand.

“Save me your arguing, child. I can see that he must go. I know, not, what role he shall yet play, but this is as it should be.”

“Can we not simply force the Gredhe from him, and rid us of his nuisance?”

“Uh…hello? I’m right here.” He had stated in irritation.

What am I, a stone wall?

The older roth had smiled and turned his gaze on Joenek.

“Forgive us…” The question hung in the air.

“I am Joenek Vaernson, sir.”

Repind had nodded once and smiled warmly.

“Edileth is a very willful young rothnak, though she has a good heart. We did not intend to exclude you.

“Joenek, son of Vaern, of La’el, you have an important decision to make. Before I give you your options, I would ask that you listen carefully to each proposal. Think on what I say, and go where Feridh guides you.

“Now, you can give Edileth the Gredhe Orb and continue your life here in La’el, and be rid of trouble. Or…you may choose to join Edileth in her travels and be forced to journey through rugged terrain to distant lands. You will be forced to eat little, and sleep less. You would be in hiding and on the run from things far worse than the Elaborathin. Your life would be at risk; you, constantly living in peril. However, you would have the opportunity to do a great thing for La’el, for our world, and for Feridh, himself.”

Here he had paused to allow his words to sink in.

“What would you choose, Joenek? To continue your life as it is, or to have your life drastically altered, without guarantee that you would live to see your next summer?”

Joenek had made his decision as soon as he had heard the word “or.”

“Sir…” he had begun. He had then glanced down at the patterned tree-bough floor and taken a deep breath, as though thinking it over.

“I will go with the lady Edileth.”

In response, she had given a snort of disgust. The rothnak then stormed out of Repind’s home.

 

 

“Watch where you’re going, you imbecile!”

Edileth’s vehement outburst jolted the elf from his thoughts.

“You have a perfectly good set of eyes. Why don’t you use them?” He spat back with arrogance seasoning his voice.

She gave another one of her agitated huffs and moved on without another word. She needn’t say anything; her hatred was like a blazing wall of fire. He could feel the heat of her anger as she walked along.

Ugh! What is wrong with this rothnak? So, what, is everything my fault? Now you can’t even take responsibility for your own actions? What does she have against me, anyway? He swore, yet again, as he thought of Edileth. She’s almost as bad as those Elaborathin.

Joenek’s thoughts returned, again, to La’el as he remembered the bestial half-elves.

 

 

After Edileth had left the company of the two rothni, the aging elf had spoken further with Joenek.

“She still has much to learn, that one. I assure you, behind that harsh exterior, she is desperate for the same things as any other rothnak.”

Joenek had merely stood silent and disbelieving. Oh, yes, I’m sure…whatever you say.

Repind then smiled and had walked over to where Joenek stood.

“Go, lad, and pack your things. You will be going on a journey with Edileth, spending countless days in her company. You may want to prepare yourself mentally, as well. Edileth has a mind of her own and tends to be a bit overbearing.” Repind had chuckled before continuing.

“You will need much patience. And remember, finding the True Path is never easy; open your mind to Feridh and let Him guide you.

“Now hurry, Joenek. Your destiny waits.”

Joenek had packed some clothing and other necessities. He had pulled his cloak off its hook, and gathered his assortment of throwing knives. Next, he had slung his bow and quiver across his back and checked his new sword from Arun.

He had then made his way to where Edileth was said to be. He found her kneeling beside her deceased companion who had been laid upon a bed in the local infirmary. From where Joenek had stood, he could see the side of her face. For a moment, her countenance had softened, and sorrow had been clearly seen in her features. However, as quickly as the emotion had come, she had covered it. She had given the quietest of sniffs, and stood up rigidly.

As the blonde rothnak had neared him, he could see her rebuilding her defenses. She stood before him with hands on her hips, once again, and looked over him with a critical eye.

“Well…I suppose you’ll have to do.”

She had then stepped past him, picked up her pack, and their journey had begun.

 

 

And now this never-ending bickering! Joenek thought with regret. He sighed and continued his fast-paced walk through brush and tree branches. A gentle breeze licked his face and his spirit settled a bit. The weather, at least, was decent for traveling in.

So, I have to deal with a psychotic, raging she-elf; at least I have an adventure underway. No more boring life in the dismal town of La’el.

Joenek wanted to laugh and run through the forest, leaping about like a stag. He realized, though, that it would only give Edileth something else to complain about. He wondered if she ever looked at the bright side, or if she was always the cold, pessimistic rothnak that now walked beside him?

So, what if she mocks me? Who cares? I am so excited…I have to let it out.

Without a second thought, Joenek did precisely that.

The elf leapt over a low-lying bush and ran to a tree. Crouching down, he tensed his muscles and pounced onto one of the lower limbs. Using the strength of his arms, he hoisted himself onto the branch and leapt onto another. Keeping his balance, Joenek gave a little hop and caused the limb to sway up and down. Using the momentum of the bough, he vaulted onto a branch above.

Next, he reached up with his long, well-muscled arms and swung on a limb from them. Gathering as much momentum as he could muster, Joenek flung himself forward and into another tree, giving a whoop of joy as he sailed through the air.

Now what are you doing, you idiot? Get down from there, before you break your neck; this is serious!” Edileth stood below him, hands firmly planted on her hips, a look of fury reddening her otherwise pale face.

“Oh, come on, Edileth. Have you ever allowed yourself some fun? Why, it’s no wonder you’re such a sour, stuck-up old hag.” He bellowed with laughter, as he saw her look of rage. Finally, with the grace befitting an elf, he skittered his way down the tree and landed at her side. He casually draped his arm around her shoulders and continued his teasing.

“Aw, it’s quite alright, my dear. I can handle this. Go back home to your cooking and sewing. Let a roth handle this oh-so-serious task.”

“Don’t touch me, you pile of dung!” She quickly maneuvered her way out of his half-embrace and slapped his arm aside. “You wouldn’t know serious if it spat in your eye.”

With a great harrumph, she moved away from the snickering roth, and continued her determined pace.

“We’ve many days of hard travelling ahead of us. I suggest you preserve your enthusiasm for when you will desperately need it. Now if you don’t mind, I would like to make proper use of our time.”

 

*                       *                       *

 

Hundreds of birds were twittering and warbling and squawking. A light scratching sound made its way through all the calls, as one little bird skittered up and down the trunk of a tree. His silver-grey head tilted to one side as he listened for bugs walking beneath the surface of the bark. The bird gave a few tentative pecks and flew away as two figures neared.

A bushy-tailed squirrel began chattering in protest a few trees over. Her tail bobbed up and down with every chirp that left her furred lips.

Countless bugs clacked and droned and let out whining hums. Little flying insects could be seen floating hither and thither amongst the tree branches. Grouping together they looked rather like a cloud of dust motes. A few large, intricately-winged insects fluttered sporadically in search of the last few blossoms of the year.

Joenek inhaled deeply, his nostrils flaring as they took in the scents of the earth. It was the strange period of time between two seasons. One season was nearing its end, and another was preparing to begin. Thus, the world was caught in the middle, not quite either season, but rather, an odd combination of both.

The forest was still rather green and rich with life. Yet, already, the leaves on certain trees were beginning to change, and the vegetation was not quite as lush.

The earth was already littered with leaves and pine needles. Thousands of pine cones had been gnawed to their cores and cast to the ground by squirrels and other seed-eating rodents.

Again, Joenek inhaled, taking in the smells of the forest. The rich, musky scent of decaying plant-life was beginning to take over. The dry earth almost had a stale sort of smell to it. However, that would soon change as rain would become more prevalent. Then the earth would be moist and smell rich and intoxicating.

A faint smile of satisfaction touched Joenek’s lips as he enjoyed the nature around him. He chanced a glance at the rothnak beside him. She continued her hastened pace and seemed unaffected by the beauty surrounding her.

They were nearing the edge of Vel Siron. The seemingly endless trees were beginning to thin, and Joenek could catch an occasional sight of the world beyond the forest which had been his home for years. A stir of excitement caused his heart to race and his stomach did an odd little flop.

The two elves continued their rigid pace until, after a few moments, the trees seemed to cease, altogether. At this point, Joenek stopped and stared out at the world he had never seen. The roth gazed at the vast openness before him and felt slightly ashamed at his ignorance.

It’s all so big, he thought with wonder.

To the north were vast plains, filled with naught but long, blowing grasses as far as his elven eyes could see. Directly ahead of him was a landscape with similar grasses, although there were also a few scattered clusters of trees in addition to numerous groups of scrub brush and rocky hills. Beyond the rolling grasslands, Joenek espied, what he assumed was, Riddaein Lake. Past it was a dark line of trees; the edges of a greater forest than Vel Siron. Directly south of the glassy surface of The Riddaein was a collection of mountains, whose name he could not recall. If he was remembering correctly, though, that was the mountain range in which Edileth and he would be staying. What they were meant to do afterwards had not, yet, been revealed to him.

That prig probably doesn’t think she can trust me with such “important” information. Bah!

After taking in the sight of his new surroundings, Joenek realized that Edileth was running up to him from a distance. Apparently, she had continued without him, and now decided she needed to reprimand him like a child.

“Are you quite finished gawking?” Her eyebrow was raised and her lips were pursed with impatience. “If you don’t mind, I would quite enjoy continuing. We’ve only a few hours more of travel, and then we can rest for the night.”

“Why, of course, Your Majesty.” Joenek gave an exaggerated bow, and continued. “Forgive me, my lady, for enjoying new sights. I had quite forgotten that you are hopelessly stubborn and cannot bear the sight of beauty.”

Edileth took a deep breath as if to calm her emotions and merely waited for Joenek’s taunting to cease. Unfortunately, after approximately nine hours of continuous travel at a rushed pace, Joenek was in the mood for arguing.

“Now…I wonder why that is? Why, exactly, does ‘Her Majesty the Queen’ hate beauty so much?” Here the irritable roth put his index finger to his lips and rolled his eyes skyward, as though he were thinking thoroughly. “Ah! Could it be jealousy? Yes, I think it must be. You are so hopelessly unattractive and none can stand to be near your rotten personality, and for that reason you hate all beauty. Yes, that must be it.”

Joenek looked to the subject of his taunting, and expected to see her boiling over in rage, preparing to beat all sense out of him. Instead, he saw a distressed elf, pale and seemingly on the verge of tears, standing before him like a statue. Her eyes were wide and glossy, and her mouth hung slightly open in shock.

However, she quickly recovered, clamping her mouth shut and throwing a swift punch at his arm. Joenek took the blow, but hardly noticed. He was lost in his thoughts of shame and regret. The young roth watched as Edileth began to trot in an easterly direction, heading slightly toward the lake.

Like a dog with its tail tucked between hind legs, Joenek loped after her. He caught up to the blonde, and matched her speed. She soon sped up to their previous pace and they finished the remainder of their day’s journey in complete silence.

At last they ceased. Edileth looked about with a critical eye, and moved to a large cluster of brush. Outside the little ring of shrubbery were a few smallish trees. Here she lay down her pack and began setting up camp.

Joenek made his way over, and eased his load from his aching shoulders. He let out the faintest of sighs as he knelt over his parcel. The drained young elf untied the leather straps which held his bedroll in place, and proceeded to unroll it. As he continued getting settled, Edileth cleared her throat, and Joenek looked quizzically in her direction.

“If you would be so kind as to gather some wood, I would truly appreciate it.”

Joenek merely stared at her, as though he had yet to meet the young rothnak. Never had she spoken so kindly to him. And her voice, which usually held a tone of superiority, was laced with fatigue. Even the way she stood was unlike the elf he had traveled with the entire day. It was as though she was simply too weary to hold up her walls of indifference.

Again, Joenek felt the pangs of guilt rise in him. He still felt poorly for having spoken so harshly to her. In an attempt to assuage the friction between them, Joenek acquiesced.

“Of course.”

He straightened himself and walked away from the temporary camp. Before he left the area entirely, he turned to watch the pig-headed rothnak.

She prepared her place, laying out her blanket as he had done, and then settled onto it. Edileth sat up straighter, arching her back to relieve some of the pressure which had built up. Next, she cocked her head, stretching the muscles of her neck and shoulders. Unaware of Joenek’s gaze, she let her shoulders droop, and lay back against a boulder. The weary rothnak brought her hands up and began rubbing her temples.

Joenek was reminded, then, that she had been sent through the window of High Spirits -- after which, she had proceeded to fight the Elaborathin. A thought came to mind, which he had not previously considered.

How did she recover so quickly? She smashed into all sorts of things, and yet she came running to kill the Elaborathin.

The young elf turned from the camp and made his way through the hilly rock formations, picking up fallen branches along the way. He pondered Edileth’s new-found placidness while he walked quietly among the greenery. The air was still and cool. The darkness was rapidly growing, and Joenek turned to head back to where they would be staying the night. Clouds had rolled in, and the moon was hidden behind them. The light grew dimmer and the roth strained to see where he was going. As he drew nearer to where their camp was located, he had the strange premonition to stop walking.

Gradually, Joenek came to a halt. He stood in silence, listening to the sounds of the land around him, or lack thereof. The hair on the back of his neck rose, as the elf noticed how quiet the surrounding area had become; nothing stirred. He whipped his head around to look behind him, having the eerie feeling that he was being followed or watched. A faint, warm breeze stirred, and Joenek felt goose bumps rise on his flesh; the shrubbery around him sat perfectly still, as did the branches of the few lone trees in the distance. He wished to move back to the camp, but something held him in place. A sound came upon the breeze, one which sounded quite like a gentle whisper. Immediately Joenek tensed up and became alert.

The “voice” continued for a few short moments, but disappeared as quickly as it had come, and the wind with it. Spooked by the strange wind, Joenek hastened to where Edileth sat.

She was cross-legged, with her head bent, and her hands in her lap. Edileth was very still, her eyes closed, and the only movement was that of her lips.

What is she doing? Joenek thought with curiosity.

Her mouth moved as though she was speaking, but no voice issued forth. Finally, as Joenek approached, she ceased her silent talking and looked up at him. One corner of her mouth dipped down and the blonde squinted her eyes the slightest bit as she looked upon him.

The uneasy roth set his collection of dead twigs and branches down, and began organizing them. As he did so, Joenek thought back on the unusual breeze and the whisper which had come with it.

“That breeze felt good.” He stated simply.

“What breeze?”

“A little bit ago, there was a breeze.”

Edileth looked at him with a puzzled expression, but said nothing. She pursed her lips and gave a slight nod.

“Did you hear anything while I was away?”

At his question, Edileth’s head jerked up. She looked him in the eye, fully alert and focused.

“No.”

Her reply was simple, but Joenek heard the catch in her voice.

Hmm. Maybe she’s not so invincible, after all, he thought. However, Joenek simply nodded his head as though it didn’t matter to him, one way or the other.

“I was only curious.”

They set fire to the dry grasses and wood and settled onto their bedrolls. Each ate without speaking, too caught up in his or her own thoughts to bother with conversation.

Edileth offered to take the first watch, and made her way up one of the few trees. She stayed upon one of the lower branches, straddling the limb, and keeping a wary eye out.

Joenek settled in, pulling the light-weight blanket up to his chin. As he lay there, slowly drifting into sleep, the memory of collecting the wood returned.

He knew he had heard a voice, quiet and gentle, upon that other-worldly breeze. He could not get it from his mind. Someone, or something, had spoken to him. The elf shuddered as he remembered what he had heard.

Joenek, the voice had said.

That single word, whispered by so kind a voice, had unnerved him.

Joenek…come to me…

Before finally succumbing to sleep, the last words the voice had spoken flitted through Joenek's mind.

...my son.



© 2020 Elina


Author's Note

Elina
Please feel free to critique.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Seems the second chapters...is befitting of a rather intangible...
relationship between two personalities...
the adventure begins...and the longing task of finding...
each others differences takes a toll...
the scenery --- in which you break up the middle...
fits the visionary aspect of this narrative...
I do like the inner thoughts you give the characters...
gives us as a reader an added measure of their persona...
Again...just as the ending is coming to a close...
you give the question mark as who the voice is in the distance...
Interest is rising...

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Elina

10 Years Ago

Thank you for the review.
Glen Yumang Manese

10 Years Ago

You're welcome...its easy to review when the work is done well...I'll be back for more...soon...just.. read more



Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Sam
Oh boy. What's going to happen next? Never mind, don't tell me. I'll find out soon enough.

Posted 9 Years Ago


I love that you have your characters on a journey together. They play well off of each other which makes your story so easy to read. Your details are very gripping and I can easily see everything going on. I'm impressed with this story so far and I can't wait to continue reading!

~Stefanie

Posted 10 Years Ago


Elina

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much. I'm glad you are enjoying it.
This chapter seemed to develop the characters quite well. Edileth seems rather mysterious and hopefully Joenek will begin to understand her better now that he sees her more vulnerable. A fantastic teasing ending to the chapter that makes the reader want to continue on reading. I look forward to seeing not only the characters' developments, but the story line as well. Very well done.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Elina

10 Years Ago

Thank you for the review.
Seems the second chapters...is befitting of a rather intangible...
relationship between two personalities...
the adventure begins...and the longing task of finding...
each others differences takes a toll...
the scenery --- in which you break up the middle...
fits the visionary aspect of this narrative...
I do like the inner thoughts you give the characters...
gives us as a reader an added measure of their persona...
Again...just as the ending is coming to a close...
you give the question mark as who the voice is in the distance...
Interest is rising...

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Elina

10 Years Ago

Thank you for the review.
Glen Yumang Manese

10 Years Ago

You're welcome...its easy to review when the work is done well...I'll be back for more...soon...just.. read more
Nice, I am stuck reading this now and it is a joy. I love the charecter development. The end is marvelous. I would write a longer review, but I am going to the next chapter. The names are really good, somehow they fit the charecters so well.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Excellent chapter. The long odious trip causing emotions to erupt, the relationship to grow, and then the voice...calling. Very well done. Reading on now.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

646 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 25, 2013
Last Updated on May 22, 2020
Tags: action, adventure, elves, fantasy, journey, love, quest, elf, evil, magic, magik, sorcerer


Author

Elina
Elina

About
A child of the Living God, I incorporate my beliefs into my writing. I am quite old-fashioned for my age, and often feel that I ought to have been born in a different era. I am a major bibliophi.. more..

Writing
Part One Part One

A Chapter by Elina



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Elina


Chapter 4 Chapter 4

A Chapter by Elina


Chapter 5 Chapter 5

A Chapter by Elina