A Drive Into the Darkness

A Drive Into the Darkness

A Story by Janice

 

Every night I travel the same road home, but only until tonight have I really paid attention to it, and I do mean really paid attention!  Perhaps it was the way the sky lit the highway up in such an incredibly beautiful yet haunting way. Or maybe it was the serenity I felt in awe of its exquisiteness and the absolute silence of it all. All that do I know, was that it seemed that all I could imagine was myself traveling into “The light at the end of the tunnel”, and I was driving straight towards it, or so it seemed. The serene setting put me into a profound and deep daydream.

 

My imagination ran wild as my mind played flashbacks of my iniquitous life before me.  I envisioned all of the so called, important things that I’ve done, roles I’ve played, and how my actions affected all those who were a part of my life, both large and small. Tears began to roll down my cheeks and moisten my lips with despair.  I broke the intense silence as I began to weep like a lost child.  Through out my visions I realized that the road I traveled thus far was becoming bumpy, or more so, as if it was under major construction.

 

 The image of my daughters faces were now etched deep inside my thoughts.  This was the look of extreme disappointment, not in themselves, but in the lack of love and the extreme disappointment, in thier so called mother. I felt the pain and hopelessness of my deceased husband, who took his own life in fear I was leaving him, for someone other, for someone better.

I felt the frustration of my brothers and sisters who were always there for me, but I could never seem to find the time for them. I experienced the hurt that I caused the little old lady who took to long to pay for her food in the checkout line and the snide comments I made to her; which she still so painfully remembers to this very day. I felt my dog’s hunger eating away at the pit of my stomach, the same hunger she felt when I was to lazy to feed her for days at a time.  I felt the wind blow in my face, the same cold, brisk wind from the door I so quickly slammed in the face of others who were once so easily able to open it.

 

All of the sudden I felt a huge bump in the road, an enormous hole that sent my car spiraling into a compete tailspin.  It awoken my senses and brought me back to reality in a hurry as I struggled to keep it from spinning out of control. My head began flailing about as I struggled to take control of the wheel once again. My eyes followed its uncontrollable path when I couldn’t help but notice the sky that was once illumined by such a brilliant and intense light had some how completely vanished into the obscurity of total gloom and darkness that had so abruptly set in.

 

 

 

© 2010 Janice


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

the only word i have to describe this is: amazing. Please, keep writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wow, I have to say I LOVE the imagery in this piece. I could see everything you described perfectly. I just hate how abruptly it ends. I understand why its that way though, so I dont expect you to change it. Great piece.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

155 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 13, 2010
Last Updated on January 13, 2010