3. Chapter Three

3. Chapter Three

A Chapter by Sinbulvinter
"

Frey meets someone who his Monster finds "interesting."

"

Warning: Chapter contains Murder, Violence, Blood/Gore, Disturbing and Dark Themes and Subject Matter, Thoughts of Suicide, Themes and topics that may disturb, upset, or trigger a sensitive reader... and sparkly puppy dogs and rainbow colored unicorns!!  Okay... No puppies or unicorns...


-Frey-


Days went by and winter hit even harder than it did last year, and the clothing I had wasn't really fit for this kind of weather. I hadn't eaten in days and with the freezing cold, I was in a horrible mood. The lack of sleep was also beginning to mess with my head �" starting to make me see things again, hear things that came from nowhere, and have vivid flashbacks invade me. I felt like I was constantly half awake and half asleep.


It was dead in the middle of the night and in order to keep myself from sleeping, I stumbled through the city streets until I reached the outskirts and crossed the bridge. I found myself wandering down the long country roads outside of the city.


I walked until my legs burned and I was surrounded by trees. I knew I had walked for at least a couple miles until a car slowed and stopped beside me.


"Excuse me!" It was a woman, by herself in the car. She rolled the window down, "Sorry, I'm not from around here, and I'm way lost. I'm looking for the city, but I think I made a wrong turn somewhere." She seemed nervous, twirling her fingers in her blond hair. "My phone died and I was wondering if you could give me some directions."


I didn't look at her, kept my head down with my hood up so she couldn't see my face. Most people got freaked out by the sight of my scars, and I didn't want to scare her off. I wanted to f*****g kill her.


I walked over to the car, pretending to look at the map she was holding. Quickly, I took out my knife and flipped it open. She was too busy rambling annoying human s**t to even notice me holding the blade until it was too late and I got ready to stab. In shock, she put her hands up to protect her face and neck. I opened the door and yanked her out of the car.


Blood fell onto the show, eyes wide with terror as she crawled backwards. I moved slowly, observing how the blood ran down her arms as I stalked her.


"What are you doing?" She questioned in a shrill voice, "What do you want? Money? I have money!"


I shook my head, my knuckles white as I held the knife. I wanted to cut her into shreds, bleed her dry, watch the life drain with all the crimson. I didn't know why exactly �" I usually preferred to kill men, but with the rage I was feeling I didn't care who my victim was �" I just needed someone to destroy.


"Stop!" She screamed at me when she realized I didn't want any money or material items. "Don't, please!" She screamed at me, panting and gasping for breath. I could almost taste her fear lingering in the air. "You don't have to do this!"


"You're wrong."


She didn't understand. People in this world were stupid, dense. They didn't understand anything. They didn't even know how much of a waste they were.


"Why? Why are you doing this?"


I eyed the cross necklace around her neck. "God told me it was your time." I didn't even believe in a god, and it was a sick joke, but I couldn't help but smirk a bit at her confusion. "You wanna go to that f****n' heaven ya all talk about, right? Ya'll ramble on about being saved and goin' to some f****n' place in the sky with golden roads and s**t to make you feel better about dying. So why you all still so afraid to die?"


She crawled backwards, eyes darting around her surroundings. Her chest rose and fell quickly. "What are you talking about?"


"Ya know that religion trash is bullshit, right? No God's gonna save you, or anyone for that matter. This world is f****n' pointless. Life is f****n' pointless. There's no f****n' purpose to it. No God." I spat in hatred. I studied her somewhat offended expression, becoming more and more amused by it.


She just stared at me, wide doe eyes staring into mine. "What happened to your face?" I couldn't believe her nerve. "Did someone do that to you? What happened?"


I bit into my lip, my amusement quickly turning sour. It was all fun and games until the f****n' b***h decided to open her mouth. I clenched my fists, replying in a snarl.


"You've been hurt. I understand. You're acting out of anger and pain. Think about what you're doing. You don't wanna do this." The woman tried to calm her breathing, swallowing hard. "You can stop, before it's too late."


I clenched my teeth. This wasn't fun anymore. She was getting under my skin. "It is already too late." I growled at her.


"No, Honey, it's not. You can get help!" She said desperately. "I'm a therapist. I can get you help!"


I shook my head, laughing so bitterly it hurt my chest. I held up the knife, my hands shaking with anger. "There ain't no help for me. There's no help for any of us."


Without even giving her a chance to react, I stabbed her in the chest. She screamed and it echoed through the woods. I just kept stabbing and stabbing, focusing on the squishing sound of the blade crunching through flesh, bone, and muscle. Blood gushed from her open mouth, out of her wounds, pouring all over her clothes and the snowy ground. I stabbed until my rage was gone and all I felt was emptiness.


I dragged her body deep into the woods, throwing it in a ditch and then cleaned the blood off my hands with the snow afterwards. I stumbled back to the road, heading back to the city. It took at least an hour, and by then it was surely after midnight.


I was exhausted and stopped at the bridge, looking over the edge and down at the river under it. I wondered if jumping would kill me... If it did, what would happen after? Would I go to hell? Maybe I'd just stop existing... I kind of liked the idea of that. Everything just ending... It sounded so peaceful.


I pulled myself up to stand on the concrete ledge, feeling the cold wind against my face as I looked down at the waves. I could jump and die and no one would even notice... Not a single person would care... I didn't know if that was a good thing or a bad thing... I never had a positive relationship with a person to know if it was something I even wanted.


This world was cruel, hateful, and blind. The people were wasteful and stupid, completely asleep to the real way this place was. The world was hell in my eyes, and I didn't know how to see it any other way. I wanted to leave it... I didn't have any purpose here. All I had was murder, it was the only thing I was good at and the only way I knew how to do... I was nothing but a nameless, faceless shell of a person without a single memory of whoever I was before I ended up in that basement...


I sighed and sat down, hanging my legs over the edge. I lit a cigarette, just pondering... Thinking to myself.


"Don't be foolish, Frey. Don't jump." The Monster told me, voice tight.


I smirked, "Why?"


It growled in reply, "You're taking the cowardly road. Why would you want to kill yourself anyway? You're more free than you have ever been."


I scoffed, "This whole fucked up place is rotten, full of meaningless s**t and I'm surrounded by f****n' idiots. This life got no meaning, for me or anyone here." I spat, "And I ain't free."


"You are ungrateful, Frey... After all this time and all the work we have done, you just want to give up and die like a coward? You really are weak, just like he said."


I ground my teeth together, exhaling heavily. "Shut yer mouth." I mumbled to the voice.


The Monster ranted on in my head �" calling me names and insulting me, trying to discourage me from ending my own life, probably for its own purposes. It couldn't live without me, it needed me as much as I needed it. I ignored it and just stared at the water below until a drunken female voice broke through my trance.


"'cuse me!"


I glanced over, trying to see the owner in the dim lighting. It was a girl, probably in her early twenties with red hair and freckles, dressed in skimpy clothing. She held a brown bag in her left hand, stumbling toward me. I looked back toward the water.


"You happen to have an extra smoke?" She asked in a slurred voice, "I've had a rough day... Left my pack at work..."


I thought for a minute, the idea of slashing her throat and throwing her over the bridge flashing through my eyes.


"No, Frey... This one is interesting..." The Monster told me.


I narrowed my eyes, questioning it in my head.


"Trust me..."


I sighed and handed her a cigarette and a lighter, hearing her thank me and sigh as she leaned against the wall. I glanced at her again, noticing the smeared make up on her face from crying. She seemed so drunk she could hardly stand. It made me want to kill her more for some reason.


"It's freezing out here..." she said, her voice loud in my ears.


I ignored her, hoping she'd go away, but I felt her eyes on me, looking me over. It made me uncomfortable.


"You're drenched..." She said softly, "aren't you cold?"


I was. I was shivering, I was so cold, but I wasn't gonna tell some drunken s**t that.


"It's the middle of winter," She said with a small giggle. "Your clothes aren't really suited for the cold."


I shot her a glare, gesturing lazily toward her mini skirt and tank top, only shielded from the wind with a jacket. "Yer one to talk." I muttered.


"Well... I wasn't planning to walk out here... Needed to clear my head. Like I said, rough day." She gave a small, sad smile and her hazel eyes fell. "What about you? What are you doing out here?"


I stared down into the river, watching the waves crash against the rock. "Was thinkin' about jumping." I said bluntly, keeping my voice as empty as I felt.


I saw her jerk to look at me out of the corner of my eye. Her eyes widened a bit, then her shoulders slumped forward. "Why?"


I shrugged. I didn't even know why I was telling her this, she didn't need to know and I didn't need to tell her. I just felt so empty, I just didn't care.


She looked me over again, swallowing and chewing on her bottom lip. For a few moments, she was silent before she spoke up. "Are you homeless?"


My shoulders tensed, crushing my cigarette between my teeth. Again, I thought about grabbing her by the throat and throwing her off the bridge.


"Don't, Frey... Trust me... This one is useful." The Monster told me again.


I nodded in reply to her question.


She sighed and I felt pity flowing off her. She pushed the dirt around with her foot, eyes darting at me and then back at the ground. "You wanna get something to eat? Some coffee... I'll buy... You look freezing and you probably haven't eaten in days... It's the least I can do."


I didn't say anything, just stared forward, debating either agreeing or murdering her in cold blood.


"Then you can come back and jump if you really want, at least you'd die with a full stomach!" She said, a dark sense of sarcasm in her voice. No doubt she was trying to lighten the mood.


I groaned in annoyance, rolling my eyes before I turned and hopped down onto the sidewalk and began following her as she lead me into the city. I observed her as we walked, trying to figure out why the monster didn't want me to kill her. What was so special about her? She seemed like any other stupid woman in this city.


She took me to a 24-hour dinner, ordered two cups of coffee and two bowls of soup. I didn't realize how hungry I was until I started eating. I hadn't eaten in so long, my mouth couldn't chew the food fast enough for my stomach. I knew she was watching me, but I didn't care.


"What's your name?" She asked.


I narrowed my eyes at her, "What's that matter?"


She flinched at my harshness, shrinking back a little before she straightened and crossed her arm, looking away. "Just curious... Geez."


I inhaled slowly, "Frey." I answered, "My name is Frey."


She looked over, her face relaxing a bit and she smiled softly. "Nice to meet you, I'm Rema."



© 2017 Sinbulvinter


Author's Note

Sinbulvinter
This whole chapter ended up being in Frey's POV only... For some reason... I was going to write the bridge scene and on from Rema's POV but then I was like "Nahh" and wrote it in Frey's... So yeah...

Frey murders a therapist (because we all hate those) who's lost and stupid enough to ask him for directions, then thinks about jumping off a bridge before Rema shows up.
In the original version that was posted, the readers didn't know Frey's first impression of Rema since their first meeting was in Rema's POV, but Yes, now you know Frey actually wanted to murder Rema the moment he met her and it was "The Monster" who told him not to.
The Monster is a bit of a complex character (if you can call it that), it can be viewed as an altered state of Frey's mind, a part of split personality that holds thoughts that he normally wouldn't think - or as a demonic, supernatural force with a will of it's own. It's up to the Reader to determine which.

I am extremely grateful for any feedback, reviews, and comments, as well as constructive criticism and corrections of any spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors. I am working to improve my skills, and maybe get published one day, so any advice and feedback I am very thankful for!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

For a fleeting moment when I was reading the female asking for directions from Frey, I thought it really was Rema there and that you had changed the scene of how they met lol but reading on, I remembered haha :p
So yeah, it's kinda interesting seeing how he wanted to kill her first and the monster being interested in her lol
Really love the way you have rewritten this chapter too! Excellent! (:

Posted 6 Years Ago


Sinbulvinter

6 Years Ago

Yumna!! Yay! Thanks for the review!
Hah, interesting to think about. Though, I doubt Rema w.. read more
Wow, the characters are complex like actual people. it seems like Frey struggles against his inner demons like a real person, when you describe how he's feeling before killing the woman It felt very realistic!
Nice Job!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Sinbulvinter

6 Years Ago

Thanks for reading and reviewing. I'm very glad you find the characters and their reactions realist.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

172 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 3, 2017
Last Updated on August 3, 2017
Tags: Tasteless, Novel, Book, Horror, Thriller, Serial Killers, Murder, Death, Dark Themes, Disturbing, Psychological


Author

Sinbulvinter
Sinbulvinter

Ephrata, PA



About
I am a Twenty-Five year old Writer and Mother of a Two Year Old Daughter and pregnant with a little boy on the way! I am a shaman, too empathetic for my own good, and a Major Horror Junkie who is obs.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..