How to Make Your Own Cocktail Shrub

How to Make Your Own Cocktail Shrub

A Story by Strongwater Spirits & Botanicals
"

Buy herbal bitters and shrubs hand-crafted in Colorado. We sell rare botanical bitters, herbal shrubs and health tonics from the Rocky Mountains.

"
In this article,we will tell you how to make a cocktail shrub. There are few different methods that we will go over ,and how you concoct your own cocktail shrub will be based primarily on your personal preference. But before we get to that point, we should  address what a cocktail shrub is.

What is a Cocktail Shrub?

It sounds like something in your yard that you can dip in cocktail sauce. It's not! In reality, a cocktail shrub is a delicious syrup created from a few general ingredients: vinegar, sugar, and usually some kind of fruit. They also sometime go by another name, “drinking vinegars”. Now, despite the fact that neither of the names sound too appetizing, believe us when we say that cocktail shrubs are delicious! You can mix them with alcoholic beverages (as is most commonly done) as well as clear sodas. They can make your evenings out more enjoyable, in addition to making you look just a bit fancier.

Making a Cocktail Shrub

Now, before making cocktail shrubs, you may want to consider what you prefer in your drinks; do you like them to be super sweet or with a little bit of zing? Do you prefer one fruit flavor over another? Once you have some idea of what kind of shrub you might like, we can then get started with making your cocktail chrub.

What Goes in a Cocktail Shrub?

Vinegar- Vinegar, or in some cases red wine, is definitely the signature ingredient that makes a cocktail shrub different from all other drink additions. What kind of vinegar doesn’t matter here, but you may want to consider one with some flavors that will pair well with the other ingredients. Personally, I like to use apple cider vinegar in my cocktail shrub because it has a very distinct taste that I enjoy.

The Sweet- This is a pretty obvious choice but essentially anything sweet can be tested in a cocktail shrub. Throw some maple syrup in there to make a shrub that our neighbors up north would be proud of. Use brown sugar to make a robust sweetness to compliment that balsamic vinegar you may have used. Or just use plain old cane sugar for a basic sweet taste.

Fruit- Any fruit is a great addition to a shrub and I always base my choice based on what vinegar or wine I used. I like apples with apple cider vinegar and blackberries with red wine, but the possibilities are really endless and completely up to you.

Something Extra- Now this is where you can really get experimental with your cocktail shrub. You can add cinnamon for a delectable apple cinnamon shrub. You can throw in some mint leaves to add a little flavor to an average shrub and make it extraordinary. The world is your oyster when it comes to this and we encourage you to get creative and find what works for you!

Finally, cocktail shrubs deserve to be everyone’s new obsession; from their delicious variability to their easy formation, cocktail shrubs should be your new drinking staple. Share ideas with your friends, have a cocktail shrub party, or just make your own cocktail shrub laboratory!

© 2017 Strongwater Spirits & Botanicals


Author's Note

Strongwater Spirits & Botanicals

If you enjoyed this article about Cocktail Shrub then don’t forget to check out this website for more information https://www.sipstrongwater.com.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

44 Views
Added on October 17, 2017
Last Updated on October 17, 2017
Tags: Colorado Bitters, Apothecary Cocktails

Author

Strongwater Spirits & Botanicals
Strongwater Spirits & Botanicals

Denver, CO



About
Strongwater provide apothecary drinks, shrubs, handcrafted spirits, infused apple cider vinegar, old fashioned cocktail, organic bitters, rocky mountain cocktails for health in Denver Colorado. Our sm.. more..

Writing