Hiding

Hiding

A Story by Persona
"

Part 2 to "Running" but from the woman's perspective. For teens and older

"
Lila had been alone when she'd heard a loud knock on her door. She opened it without thinking.
That decision would leave an emotional scar for the rest of her life.
An imposing stranger stormed into her apartment, ranting indeterminable words as he looked around. The hairy thing burst through before she could put the chain over the door and as Lila turned away from the brute, she noticed his forceful thrust had flung the door wide open and made a dent on a pure white wall from the door handle.

The man advanced. He said something about money - she was sure he had the wrong person.

Before she knew it, this hulking monster of a man cornered her, his pounding steps guiding her away from her door and straight against the wall of her apartment. His hand shoved her dainty body, slammed it against the wall with the fierce aggression of a lion about to attack.

Lila screamed - hoping someone would hear. It was unlikely, the young people that lived there would be out partying till dawn and the elderly were too deaf.

The evil man drooled - his eyes glazing over white. Frightened, Lila turned her head away so that she wouldn't have to look into those soulless eyes. Lila breathed slowly, preparing herself for whatever this ghostly eyed creature had in store for her.

He withdrew a small shirt from his pocket and shoved it into her mouth. She spat it out, screamed again. Lila would not let some vicious beast win! He practically snarled at her, like she'd disgusted him by refusing to be gagged. Angrily, he stuffed the shirt into her mouth, almost to the back of her throat. 'No more you little b***h. You owed me that money!' He shouted, a booming tone that made Lila shrink against the wall, a helpless victim.

Her curtains moved. Fluttered up and back down again - but it wasn't that windy...Lila's eyes instinctively followed the flurry of movement. She swore she saw a black shoe, probably belonging to a man.

The madman lifted her from the ground. Lila felt choked, her eyes met his and he could read the fear in them. Through the white blindness that had struck him, she could she through his angry, wrinkled brow that he was not pleased with her for accepting her fate. He obviously wanted her to squeal and squirm, be a defenceless prey animal that he could enjoy hurting.

'Oi, who’s there?'  The man asked, his fingers tightening around her neck.

I said, who’s THERE?!'

No response.

Grumbling, he dropped her. Lila, winced as she thudded against her carpet. Bruised and shaky, she was glad to be free. She fled to her bedroom and slammed the door shut. Locked it. Lila dared not move - she hoped that if she froze the man would forget about her.

The giant brute stomped his way around her living room. She heard his steps crush her carpet as his voice grew slightly quieter with distance.

She heard running, her saviour, his normal footsteps barely audible
compared to the assailer. She heard the ripple of her curtains, the frantic patter of footsteps, the loud shattering of the coffee table as the glass was smashed.

She heard heavy impacts - like a fight. Some it sounded excruciatingly painful, as one voice breathed 'ooh.' She identified that one as her saviour. He was obviously trying his best to conceal the divide between him and the attacker, but it was clear to Lila that the monster was larger.

'That money's mine.' The monster said. So far her saviour hadn't spoken. Lila took it as a bad sign.

'She's mine. You have no right-' she wondered why he hadn't finished speaking. She imagined her saviour thrusting a chair over the attacker's head and knocking him unconscious.

A few quiet moments passed, but Lila's heart sunk when the brute spoke again, 'You're pathetic. You f*****g idiot.'

A scream. Lila crossed her fingers, hoped it wasn't the saviour's. She hated to think that the brute would murder the man and come thundering into her room, regardless of the lock, and do as he pleased.

'Ah! Are you f*****g nuts?' The assailer shouted. Lila wondered - maybe he was, why else would an average sized or small man try to save a woman from a callous, beefy giant?

She heard tumbling. Someone fell. Then again, a few moments later. Had the little saviour been slammed against the floor like Lila against the wall?

'She'll take too long. They won't be here by the time you're dead, and I'm gone.'

They who? Was her saviour smart enough to have called the police before he entered her apartment? That would explain it - why else would a little or average man tackle a large one?

Physical impacts. Someone being hit, again and again. The poor saviour was probably being battered to a pulp and here Lila sat, doing nothing. She heard gasping. Part of Lila tried to push her to her feet, swing open her door and launch at the attacker. But logic took over. If the saviour would die, then Lila would only be risking her own life. She decided the best thing to do was reach for her phone. Normally she left her mobile by her bedside table, but when she looked, it wasn't there.

The coffee table.

She hadn't any control the whole time. Lila quietly, but quickly, started looking around for a dagger. She kept one in a drawer, in case a situation like this ever arose. She was warned when she moved into this kind of neighbourhood - but the rent was cheap.

Lila rummaged around her drawers, and found it wrapped in a thick towel. She knew that had been a clever, safe choice. She thought one day when she was in a hurry she'd need to get the dagger - and try her best not to cut herself in the process.

But then she heard the pummelling of feet on her carpet and whooshing, as if someone was escaping out the window with speed. Sirens came whirring up the street, so Lila decided it safe to unlock her door and face her poor beaten saviour.

Wielding the dagger, she carefully walked into her living room. She realised it was the attacker, lying on his back. But he had become furrier, like a dog. In fear, Lila stabbed him. Just once.

She didn't need to. As she drew the dagger back, its glistening in the light of her nearby lampshade, Lila realised the attacker was dead regardless. The dagger was bloody up to the handle, but even if she had pushed it into him that far, it wouldn't have killed him.

The blood on the dagger began turning purple, shocking Lila. The attacker was inhuman. He or it, actually was. Had her saviour been human at all? Lila considered this as she gripped the dagger's black handle, like the nails on the attacker's...paws. Its shiny, reflective steel surface had now become darkened and gloopy, the blood on it thickening.

Lila placed the dagger down on the sofa, wanting to not touch it, in case this odd blood was infectious.

Lila looked around her apartment. The walls had been painted red, streaks and splats of it deepening, staining on her walls. Looking down, the coffee table had collapsed, its wooden legs laying flat with glass spread out everywhere. On her carpet, a hacked looking piece of flesh. Lila jumped back at that, the flesh apparently looking bitten, like the teeth marks of a werewolf.

Lila shook with fear, clutching her arms to comfort herself.

People began racing up her stairs. Either the police, or paramedics, had arrived. How would Lila explain this to them?

© 2013 Persona


Author's Note

Persona
I hope this story has been entertaining, and if not, you can always tell me why below!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I thoroughly enjoyed your piece. It was captivating and fast paced. My only critique (and not meant to be harsh, merely constructive) is that at times I felt as if you made use of adjectives unnecessarily. For example, I felt that the word "dainty" when describing your protagonist was a bit on the nose, you could have described her body type during the confrontation without having to "tell" your readership. Also, the vividness with which you painted your piece already had me believing that the attacker was "evil". It comes across as talking down to your readers. But all in all, a wonderfully gripping piece of writing. Kudos to you:)


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I really enjoyed it, it was well written and seemed to really allow us to get to know the character through her actions.

Posted 9 Years Ago


I thoroughly enjoyed your piece. It was captivating and fast paced. My only critique (and not meant to be harsh, merely constructive) is that at times I felt as if you made use of adjectives unnecessarily. For example, I felt that the word "dainty" when describing your protagonist was a bit on the nose, you could have described her body type during the confrontation without having to "tell" your readership. Also, the vividness with which you painted your piece already had me believing that the attacker was "evil". It comes across as talking down to your readers. But all in all, a wonderfully gripping piece of writing. Kudos to you:)


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The scene is discribed well, providing vivid imagery for the reader. The action is fast and dramatic, keeping the reader engaged. I will have to read part one out of order. There will be more?

Posted 11 Years Ago


Persona

11 Years Ago

The other is called 'Running.' No, not out of order, just from different perspectives. I haven't wri.. read more
Nicely written, enjoyed it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Persona

11 Years Ago

Thanks
Wow.. Engaging... Great imagery... Kept me on the edge of my seat... Please finish I want to read more!!!
Awesome :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Persona

11 Years Ago

Thank you for reviewing EileenMarie!
wow, very unique, please write more :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Whoa. I am not entirely sure what to think about this. I feel my thoughts turn sideways as I slide down a row of options and opinions. Whoa. This was (excuse me for a moment) epic! I usually don't speak like that online. For a few moments I wondered what was happening outside of the locked door. Was it really a group of police who had arrived? So many questions. Nicely penned.
Best regards,
Dell

Posted 11 Years Ago


Persona

11 Years Ago

Than you very much! an ambulance. It's the woman perspective on my story "Running" where what happen.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

679 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 3, 2013
Last Updated on March 10, 2013
Tags: hiding, running, werewolf

Author

Persona
Persona

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom



About
I really appreciate people who review and will happily return the favour. Look at 'Make a Move' as I am primarily a story writer. I give honest reviews because I want to help people improve their w.. more..

Writing
Make a Move Make a Move

A Story by Persona



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Beauty Beauty

A Poem by Tori Hughes