The Mirror of Altered Reality

The Mirror of Altered Reality

A Poem by {REDACTED}

The reflection in a mirror is not a reflection of reality. However, it is a reflection of our perception of reality.

 

 

Tonight is nothing more then another night in hell.

I sit at the foot of my mattress staring blankly at the wall ahead of me.

The hole in my core becomes greater; the bottomless pit of grief and despair grows.

I would like nothing more then to feel comfort and liberation from this horror that I must endure on a daily basis;

The horror of my own mind; the dread of my own being.

 

The mirror projects an image of lifelessness; it shows the pathetic likeness of a lost soul.

A devious smirk appears across the face in the reflection.

Indicating a change in presence,

A manifestation of what’s inside; a manifestation of what drives this lost cause.

The image speaks in a deviant tone, inducing a sense of deflated self worth.

An illustration of my repulsiveness is replicated in front of me.

 

A withered man, with deteriorated youth stares back.

Eyes sunken and vacant, smile long departed.

Skin coloured a pasty white, bones emerged from the shallow interior.

Lips and skin all cracked and shrivelled.

Suddenly the representation fades to nothing more then a transparent silhouette.

 

The obsession with the mirror is nothing more then a fixation with perfection.

My entire existence revolves around what is projected from this object.

However, I cannot see that the truth is embellished and manipulated by my depression.

The reflection is a figment of my imagination, rather then an authentic likeness of what I really am.

This mirror is not a reflection of reality; rather it is more a reflection of my perception of the truth.

 

I am the mirror; the mirror is not me.

© 2011 {REDACTED}


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You have captured one of the darkest moments of any human. You have captered the reader, and have, in a sence, forced them to reflect. I too, am included in that. Your description sets a somber, yet scared emotion to the reader, as they realise that what you say is true. That the truth is only our perseption, our obsession with perfection.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

You have captured one of the darkest moments of any human. You have captered the reader, and have, in a sence, forced them to reflect. I too, am included in that. Your description sets a somber, yet scared emotion to the reader, as they realise that what you say is true. That the truth is only our perseption, our obsession with perfection.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

you take the reader deep into the substrata of identity in an intelligent manner that begs the audience to self examine~
the sharp descriptive imagery itself is captivating~ the nuances reveal threads within the composition of classic sewn through experimental flawlessly~
in my library it ges for this one is meditation in precise action~

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

484 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 10, 2010
Last Updated on February 4, 2011
Tags: Poetry, Mirror, Self-Esteem

Author

{REDACTED}
{REDACTED}

Ontario, Canada



About
Im a very busy person so I apologize if it takes a long time for me to get back to you. Good day to you all. And enjoy. more..

Writing
Who I am Who I am

A Story by {REDACTED}