Through Her Eyes Lies the Life of Another

Through Her Eyes Lies the Life of Another

A Story by Sky Lemmons

(YEAR 1491)

Journal Entry #1

My name is Tiger Eye and I will be writing about my day. The first that happened today was me and my sister, Wonder, played on the lake outside our house. People thought that I was acting like a kid because I was playing with my little sister. She’s only one year younger than me, I’m thirteen and she’s twelve years old. It was so fun, we played with a ball that we found in the water. Wonder threw it so far that it hit a boat in the middle of the lake. 

I told her to get it, but she was too scared. I didn’t know why.She said she saw a really big and scary fish, but I thought she just didn’t feel like swimming. After a while we got bored of chasing each other around, so we went back inside. She wanted to play more, but I was just too tired. I wanted to go to bed, and relax.

As soon as I went to sleep, my sister sat next to me and told me to get up. I asked her why, and she told me to get up and follow her. I got up, put on my shoes and sweater, and left. All she wanted to show me was an animal that was sleeping on the sand. She asked me if we could bring it inside, I said, “NO!”

At that moment she looked at me like she didn’t know who I was. I told her that since I was in charge, I couldn’t let anything happen to her. I didn’t know anything about that animal or what it was doing there. I told her to go back inside and try to get some sleep. That was when I could see that she wasn’t going to talk to me for the rest of the night.

All last night I was trying to talk to her about when dad was coming back. However all she did was make weird noises. I think that it’s because mom left us when we were young. Sometimes she didn’t want to talk about dad because she was mad that mom left us. Our dad travels to different mines and comes back with things like gold and food.














Journal Entry #2

Today I thought that Wonder would still be mad at me, she wasn’t. She woke me up with a big smile on her face and said, “ WAKE UP!! Let’s play a game!!” I told her that I was too tired to play any games with her. When I saw her face as I told her that, I felt so bad. So I 

said, “Ok. Let me get ready, then we can go.”

While she was waiting for me outside, she had her eyes on a bird.  As soon as I opened the door, the bird flew right in. I wanted to go after it, but Wonder told me to just leave it alone. I kept walking towards her, and the closer I got, the more I thought about the bird inside the house. That’s when I looked back and looked around for the bird, however it was nowhere to be found.

She asked me what I wanted to play since she was holding a ball in her hands, I thought she wanted to play ball.  So I said, “ Let’s play ball!!” She looked at me like she was about to jump for joy. I wanted to go chase down that bird but I couldn’t because my sister would cry. When I came closer I saw that the “ball” was really a turtle looking for a home. That’s when I said “Let’s keep it!!!! It looks sad and hungry, we should feed it!!”

As soon as she saw me pick the turtle up she opened her mouth to say something, however nothing came out. She wanted a pet so badly. When she felt like she needed to say something, she just said that she loves me. I took it inside the house. Wonder and I cut some fruit up and tried to feed it to the turtle. I named it Lucky. Lucky and I were going to be best friends forever! I could tell Wonder, Lucky and I were going to do everything together. I went around looking for food for Wonder, Lucky and I that entire week. We needed our nutrition as well as Lucky.



















Journal Entry #3

Today we found some leaves for Lucky, we thought that by getting leaves we were helping to shelter him. We were still looking for some fruit for Wonder and I, because like Lucky we needed food. On the tree right beside our house there were all kinds of fruit, I cut them up while Wonder climbed different trees for more fruit. One day she yelled my name so I ran outside and asked what was wrong, she said that it was nothing but I was worried. She yelled my name to show me that the tree had fallen.  I didn’t know why it had fallen and I didn’t want to know why, I was just happy that it was a lot easier to reach the fruit. That night we ate a feast of fruit before going to sleep.   I woke up the next morning and saw my dad   right there, in the yard, I ran towards him and opened my arms and yelled “DADDY!!!!!”

I was so happy to see him back home, then I thought to myself, “Who is that girl with my dad, and that boy with her?” I was so confused...

Then that’s when I remembered her face. That’s Beauty Girl!!!!!!! My mom!!!!! But who’s the kid? I said, “hi” she said “hi” back. It was so awkward.

She went inside to go say hi to Wonder, but all Wonder did was walk away. My mom told me to sit next to the boy, so I did. Then she told me that the boy was my brother. His name is Hunter and he is 14 years old!!!!! What in the world!!! That means that he was born before me and I’m just finding out that I have a brother!!!! I went upstairs and sat down next to Wonder and told her. She looked so mad when I told her but she had the right to know about her own brother. She asked if I could just step out of her room for a second. 

While I was out I heard that Hunter has been helping our dad work at the mines. And turns out that he was so much help to our dad. This secretive relationship turns out has been happening for quite some time now. How could he not tell us? Right now I feel like our whole family is based on a lie!!! I wanted to run down stairs and tell everybody to sit down and wait for me to come back with Wonder. When I came back with Wonder, everybody wanted to know why I brought them there. I said “ We are going to sit here and say all the things that we hid from each other. Our family cannot live like this, you can’t lie to us one minute and expect us to take the truth easily the next.” I  spoke.

After me and Wonder told them that we had to discuss the issues that our family have been going through we sat down. The reason we sat down was because we wanted to brace ourselves for the information that was going to come out of their mouths. They have hid a brother from me and Wonder so all we wanted to know was what else they were capable of. We didn’t really wanted to know about all of this information, but we felt like it was necessary. Even though the adults were very confused they knew that they couldn’t hide anything from us anymore. They told us about how long they have been hiding these secrets, how old our brother was, when he started working in the mine, why our mother left, and all other questions that we asked them.





















Journal Entry #4

`

Even though me and Wonder have had a very eventful and sad day we still have to work. The reason that we have to work is very easy to understand, we need to survive. If we didn’t hunt and gather we wouldn’t have any food. Of course me and Wonder don’t hunt since we are children, but my dad and my new brother did. Me and Wonder decided to gather only berries for tonight because we didn’t want any nuts. We went to the nearest berry bushes to get the most amount of berries. After we were finished gathering the food, we went to the kitchen washed our hands in the big barrel of water. We were done gathering for the day.

After gathering it was time for us to prepare the food. It’s not that preparing the food is hard it is just really annoying. Wonder loves to cook because she has the easy job. While I skin the deer or any other game that the men of the family caught she grabs a well sized piece of wood to put the meat on and puts it over the fire. After I am finished skinning the game I put the game on the wood over the fire so that it is ready for Wonder to rotate it. While Wonder does that I have to clean the skin so that it can be used for clothes. Everyone in our tribe loves the clothes that I make because when people aren’t looking I die the skin with berry juices making it different colors. After the clothes are done I hang a piece of clothing on each teepee. 

Finally the food was ready, so me and Wonder went upstairs to wash up. We didn’t have much water nearby so we could only use a barrel filled with water for each of ours baths. It was soothing to just sit in the water, however I never had time to do that. Before I could enjoy my bath I had to walk two miles to get the water and bring it back. After I got back I would always have bruises on my shoulders from the heavy load. When I got home I was usually so relieved but I was not done. The water that I got was usually filled with bacteria and dirty so I would have to boil the water. After I did that I could finally relax, that was about time to eat though. 

The food that me and Wonder cooked was absolutely delicious and I loved it. Even though I usually was not very hungry because I was the one who saw the food before it was cooked I ate. I thought that it was amazing, and so did the family. So that was why me and Wonder had to cook again the next week.

When I finished eating I decided that I didn’t want to clean or do anything. I had a very big day of work, and I had absolutely no time to play with anyone. Now that I think about it I didn’t want to either because I didn’t like what had become of our “family” I couldn’t take it anymore so I just went to sleep. 




Journal Entry #5



Everything was going well so far, we were all very happy. Even though me and Wonder didn’t know that we had a brother until a couple days ago, we got along very well. It has been a very stressful week so I just want to relax. I am just glad that we still have food left from the feast that me and Wonder prepared the other day. I did not want to repeat what we had done that day, on a day when I just want to relax.

Me and Wonder slept very late today. We have nothing scheduled for today. We don’t have to cook, or clean, or even deal with animals. Finally we have the day off and all Wonder wants to do is play, I couldn’t say no so I told her that I had to jump into the bath first. I am getting ready to get into the bath. I’ve already gathered the water and boiled it so all I need to do know is to bathe. 

I am all clean and warm now and me and Wonder have decided to go by the water and play with the ball. I am not in the mood to do that but I can’t help it my sister is just so cute. I am really tired right now so I think that I am going to go back in for a second. I’m going to play for twenty more minutes, so that Wonder won’t get angry. I know that the last time that she got angry she didn’t talk to me the rest of the night.

It was the scariest thing, I am breathing so hard right now. It went by so fast I couldn’t breathe. Why, why do these things have to happen to me, when me and Wonder were by the river she threw the ball really hard so I went to go get it. When I went to go get the ball I saw three ships, these ships were very large. I thought that they were ships that were coming to give and trade things with my tribe. When they began to come closer, I started waving my hands above my head, yelling come here, come here. After that the boat docked and I saw many white men get off of the boat.

I began to run away to tell my tribe about the invaders, my sister didn’t know any better and she went up to them and began asking questions. “Where are you from? Why have you come? Can my people do anything to help you?Can you do anything to help them? Are you going to trade with us? We need more food, fresh water, and clothing. Are you going to be our friends?” I couldn’t let this happen so I ran and grabbed her arm, however before I could pull her one of the three men grabbed her other arm. They pulled her onto the ship and she screamed my name, I was so scared. Even though I wanted to run on the ship after her I knew that I shouldn’t so I ran back to the camp, and I began to scream. “Invaders, there are invaders and they took Wonder.” We were a mess of noise and worry, I didn’t know what to do. Oh no there outside they’ve invaded and they have these long wooden things that shoot things. I have to go help Wonder!! 

“My little sister  was taken by a man!! WE NEED TO HELP HER!!”

“That man’s name is Columbus.” said the psychic old lady. “He is here to get slaves and gold in order to go back to the Queen and King and get what he was promised. He was promised by the Queen if he returned with slaves and gold he would be granted power over the places he invated.So we need to run and hide from him and his men!”

“NO!!” I yelled,” We need to go save my little sister...We need to hide the kids and then we have to fight together in order to save my sister!!”

“No!! I’m sorry but they already have her...we need to hide everyone else. We all need to run for our lives, so get over here and let’s go!!” Some women spoke.

“I’m not going to let them take my sister and use her as a slave for god knows what!! I’m going to go get her weither you guys will help or not. I know shes scared and it’s my job to make sure she’s safe and loved. So you guys go. I guess I can do this myself. If they capture me at least I know that I tried to save someone I love very much and at least we’ll be together, instead of apart.” I said while crying.

Did I let this happen? Now i know that it’s my job to go save her..

© 2015 Sky Lemmons


Author's Note

Sky Lemmons
Please let me know what you think of it!!!!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

28 Views
Added on July 22, 2015
Last Updated on July 22, 2015

Author

Sky Lemmons
Sky Lemmons

NYC, NY



About
I am a Very passionate writer. I have a great imagination for I feel like writing is a wonderful why to express yourself. more..