Deep Waters

Deep Waters

A Story by Skylar
"

Ever have the feeling that you didn't belong? That has been the story of Robyn's life. She never could put her finger on the reason, but when she meets a beautiful stranger, her life that changes...

"
Loneliness is a pretty empty existence. Only the water can cure my desolate heart. Sitting on the edge of the pool, I took in the crisp blue water as the smell of chlorine infiltrated the air. Kicking my feet, I watch the splashes and movements. I pushed off and dipped into the pool. Oh, so peaceful as I felt the cool water against my skin. Over and under, I moved my arms while pumping my legs over to the deep end. I reached the wall and stepped out of the pool and up the ladder for the adventure of my life, the dive. I looked around admiring the view, I inhaled then suddenly, Mr. tall, dark, and handsome interrupted my dip from the board. Swinging open the door, slightly scanning my bathing suit. My body. Becoming aware of his gaze, I wrapped my arms around my stomach, which did little dances with each stare.
“Sorry Miss, it’s after hours. You’re not allowed to be in here.” His voice was calm and kind, easing my nervousness.  I wondered what else was under that gorgeous exterior.
“I’m sorry, sir. Can I please just take this one dive?” I placed one finger in the air, pleading. He waved his hand, nodding.
“Go ahead.”
I dipped one, two, push, plunge--exhilaration. I wiped the water from my eyes and swam back to the edge. When I got there, he waited, stooping, holding my white Terry Cloth towel. I retrieved it from his hands.
“Thank you.”
He threw me a side smirk. Whoa, my heart jerked. He stood up and I begin drying my pulled back hair and dripping body. I become self-conscious as I noticed him silently watching me with a raised eyebrow. I looked at him raising my eyebrows in question.
“Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to stare.” He chuckled and his smile brightened me inside. Extending his hand, I shook it.
“Elliot.”
“Robyn.”
“Nice to meet you.”
“You too.” We glanced at our clasped hands. Noticing they were still wrapped into one another, we dropped them.
“I would let you swim longer, but it’s after hours in the community center.” He rubbed the back of his neck.
“It’s okay. I understand.” We started walking toward the locker rooms.
“I’ve seen you around,” he said.
“Yeah. I volunteer here in the evenings. I love helping kids.”
We stood in front of the locker room. “That’s great.” We gazed for a moment.
“Well, see you around,” I said.
“Let me walk you to your car.”
I exhaled with jubilation. How could I refute such a beautiful creature?
“Okay, sure.”
His lips curled into a smile. I went inside to change my clothes. When I returned, he walked with me outside to the starless night sky. Suddenly, I watched him collapse as a man hit him across the head with a metal object. I started screaming while placing my hands over my mouth.
“Look lady, I don’t want to hurt you just give me your money,” said the threatening gruff voice.
He slid his hand in his jacket pocket without taking his eyes off of me, pulling out a combat knife. Throwing the cover off of it, he squatted over Elliot’s body, searching his pockets. When he briefly looked away, my foot met his face. He fell backward, wiped his face, and bounced back up. He dashed toward me with the sharp object, looking at my bag. I forcefully kicked it out of his hands. Still coming toward me, he grabbed it. I forcefully jabbed him in the side with a closed fist. He grunted, holding it as he backed away. Then my size six sneakers thrusted into his chest and his distance increased. He bolted down the street, holding his chest. I started after him. Catching up with him, I tackled him to the ground. Struggling, he fell onto his back. Landing on top of him my body became heavy. I sat up anchoring down while my fist continuously crashed into the side of his face. Trying to grab my hands, he missed the swift speed. He began shouting for help. I snapped out of my haze of violence and called 911.  I stayed seated on the assaulter. His face was badly bruised and swollen. Unable to move, he lost consciousness. The police came within five minutes. I explained everything that happened to the cops. A few of them rushed over to Elliot while a couple of them placed the cuffs on the assaulter. The paramedics came and took him away on a stretcher, while another arrived, dashing over to Elliot’s side--who by then had awakened. He was clutching the back of his head, groaning. I touched him on the shoulder. He looked at me furrowing his eyebrows. The paramedics picked him up, and placed him on a stretcher. I told him I would follow them. They shut him in and drove away.
When I arrived at the hospital, I stopped by the gift shop and picked up a get well card along with Daisy’s in a vase. I knocked on the door before entering the room. He looked in my direction telling me to come in. I placed the flowers down on an empty counter.
“Aww thanks you didn’t have to do that,” said Elliot.
I smiled, handing him the card. He beamed and my pulse quickened. If he kept that up they would have to carry me out on a gurney. After he read the card he said, “thank you.”
“You’re welcome,” I replied.
“I guess I needed you to walk me to my car instead of the other way around.”
I chuckled.
“Really. When I tried to raise my head, you were booking after that guy. Wow! you’re fast. After that, I passed back out until the cops arrived. Do you take track?”
“No. I’ve always been fast. But I’ve trained in various self-defense classes to protect myself.”
“I might need to keep you around.”
Just then, there were voices entering the room. Pulling our eyes from one another, we looked towards the door. There was a middle aged woman walking towards the bed along with a younger stranger.
“Robyn this is my mom and sister.” He directed his hand to each one.
The older woman had flowers. She placed hers next to mine. His sister had a get well balloon. He smiled at her. They directed their gaze at him, then to me.
“Mom, Sarah this is the woman that saved my life.”
They looked at me then walked over to me, taking me in their embrace.
“Thank you,” said his mom with a shaky voice.
“You’re welcome.”
“You’re always welcome to our place, and by the way he’s single.” She winked in my direction.
“Mom,” he said, exhaling deeply.
I smiled in his direction.
“Wow, look at the smile Elliot.” She cupped my face.
“I know isn’t she beautiful.” He ran his hand nervously over his head, lowering it. I looked at him sheepishly through my lashes.
“Yeah. She is Elliott,” said his sister.
His mom took my hand. “And look she’s not married.”
She eyed me; then walked closer to her son’s bed.
“I’m going to go.” I informed them.
“Thank you,” he said.
We gazed at one another as I stepped further from the bed.
“So you’re gonna let her go like that, son?”
“Mom, please,” he pleaded.
“Okay. I’ll lay off.” She placed her hands up surrendering.
“Robyn can you come here?” he asked.
His mother and sister distanced themselves from the bed. I strolled closer to it. I wrapped my arms around his neck and he slipped his arm around my waist, pulling me in. His touch felt warm and inviting. My heart throbbed, and I didn’t want to release him. I think he felt the same.
“Aww.” His mom clapped her hands together snapping us out of our daze. we released one another, and I back away.
“See you around,” I said.
“Yeah. I will.”
We took one last gaze, then I turned and walked out the door.

                             To Be Continued...

© 2016 Skylar


Author's Note

Skylar
Please enjoy and let me know what you think. Your critiques and reviews are welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I want to know more about the story of Robyn and Elliot, that's for sure. I never expected the attack in the parking lot and certainly did not expect Robyn to save Eliot's life and catch the bad guy. A very sweet love story is starting....and I liked it. One tiny edit, "arrived, dashing over to Elliot’s side--who by then had awaken." That should be "awakened"....a small typo for sure. Great job. Lydi**

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Skylar

8 Years Ago

Thanks for reading and reviewing the first chapter of my story. I took your advice and changed it.



Reviews

I want to know more about the story of Robyn and Elliot, that's for sure. I never expected the attack in the parking lot and certainly did not expect Robyn to save Eliot's life and catch the bad guy. A very sweet love story is starting....and I liked it. One tiny edit, "arrived, dashing over to Elliot’s side--who by then had awaken." That should be "awakened"....a small typo for sure. Great job. Lydi**

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Skylar

8 Years Ago

Thanks for reading and reviewing the first chapter of my story. I took your advice and changed it.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

206 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 20, 2016
Last Updated on April 20, 2016
Tags: fantasy, love, romance, swim, mermaids, chapter, romance novel, heart, misfit, loner

Author

Skylar
Skylar

About
I'm a writer and author.. more..