Imaginary -Chapter 1-

Imaginary -Chapter 1-

A Chapter by Adam M. Snow
"

Imagine you’re this woman who was living an ordinary life. Always caring, never hurt anyone in your lifetime. One day while you lie asleep in your bed, you heard a noise coming from within your house.

"

-Chapter 1-
Everyday Life

The dawn of morning ember greets me with its sunlight peeking through the oaken trees into my bedroom. It is as if Mother Nature was kindly telling me that it is time to awake. I arose from my bed, I glanced swiftly at my clock hanging on the wall; it wasn't even a minute past six. The house was dead quiet, and a gentle draft swept through the halls, passing the many bedrooms, all of which had been empty for many years.

So I head to my closet and I put on my white silk blouse along with my black pressed jeans. I grabbed my tan leathered coat and I proceeded to go downstairs where Scarlet greeted me. Scarlet is my retriever; she is only nine yet she still acts like a pup from time-to-time. She can be so hyper in the morning; in fact she kind of reminds me a lot of myself when I was a child.

 

I walk to the kitchen counter to where I saw my brush sitting on my T.S. Elliot poetry collection. I grabbed my brush and my book off my kitchen counter; I pressed the brush to my head as I stroke it downward brushing softly my silky long dark hair. I just finish putting on my make-up as I proceeded out the front door with Scarlet by my side. I continued my way to my garden outside, near the angel statue, a bench to where I sat.

I must have read for hours for the time was now nine. I had just finished reading “A Road Not Taken” when I was greeted by my good friend Rachael as she was heading off to the West Side Diner. Rachael and I have been good friends since we were in high school; she’s my baby sister. We’ve always gone to the West Side Diner together every morning; it was part of our daily routine. We’ve always walked there together. I know sure with the money I have, we could drive there or arrive there in a limousine, but that’s just not us; we've always been old fashion, I guess.

“Hey Rose!” Rachael called out for me from the other side of the fence.

Rose has always been my nickname since as long as we've been friends. “Oh hey Rachael, come on in the gates’ unlocked.” I replied as she entered the garden through the gate with great anticipation; she was greeted by Scarlet who tries to jump up onto her. She pets Scarlet, showing her some gentle love. Rachael looks up at me sitting here on the bench, with joyous spark in her eyes as in mine. We then begin to talk.

“I hope you’re having a good morning?” said Rachael.

“Oh, I am.” I replied as I gave a slight giggle.

“Are you ready to go?” she asks me as I had put my book into my bag.

“Sure, let’s go.” I said as I gave a friendly nod right when I put my tan leathered bag over my right shoulder. I got up to join Rachael's walk out through the gate; when I turn around to lock up, I notice Scarlet giving me those sad eyes again.

Joining Rachael, we proceed to walk. I notice a white delivery van driving past us. I turned my head to see where it was heading but it didn’t go too far; instead it had parked across the street from my house. I thought nothing of it, perhaps just dropping off a package for me or someone else. Rachael and I continue to talk as we were walking to the subway. We were laughing with joyous jest as we were having the time of our lives, like always. People would say how Rachael and I are like sisters whenever we get together. We hardly fought or show remorse towards one another. Well, I guess I could say that she's the only family I got.

 

Finally arriving at the diner, we sat down at our normal seat by the bay window facing the Statue of Liberty. Like always, Rachael and I ordered the bacon, eggs and hash brown meal with coffee. While we were eating, Rachael began telling me about her new job at Early Life Preschool. She carried on telling me that in a year she’d be able to work at an elementary school teaching English. That was a dream Rachael always wanted. But with me, with the fortunes my family had left me, I didn’t really have to work. But when I do work, I work managing my Antiques and Books store.

 

Rachael and I hugged as we departed separately; she went to her new job just five blocks from where we were at, I went to mine. As I went my way I turn my head toward Rachael, she had just got into a cab and was heading north; I continued southward. Arriving at my store; I reach into my pocket, I grab my keys. I move my hand inward as I unlock the doors to my store.  I have been working for two hours shelving my new books, I heard a voice, that of a man.

 

“Excuse me miss?” he called out. Slowly I turned, responding to the deep voice. The man it belonged to was very handsome, tall with broad shoulders, his eyes was that of the ocean blue. He had to at lease be in his thirties, no later.

As my eyes wandered down I noticed a small child, merely four years of age. Shy little thing she was, seeing her hiding behind her father’s legs. She had the cutest dark curly locks; her eyes were that of her fathers, she looks just like me when I was her age.

“Can I help you?” I ask in response.

He asks me if I could help him find, 20,000 Leagues under the Sea by Jules Verne. I went on to show him where that book was, we began to talk. He told me his name is Thomas and his daughter’s name is Emma and that he lost his wife when Emma was born four years ago. As we continue talking, he offered to take me out that night. Nervous and stuttering, I gladly accepted his dinner offer. After he had left with his daughter, I called up Rachael right away and told her everything. She was ecstatic to hear that I would be going on my first date in many years.

 

Later that evening while I was finishing getting ready, I heard the doorbell followed by a knock. “Was that him?” I said to myself nervous and afraid.

“Be right down!” I said as I grabbed the balusters and proceeded down stairs. With great uncertainty, I reach for the door and as I open it; standing there was Thomas with a bouquet of red roses.

While fretfully he said, “I do hope roses are your favorite?”

In response I nodded and said, “They are utmost beautiful, they are in fact my favorite.” After looking downward at the roses, I gaze up into his beautiful blue eyes as I thank him for the flowers. He extended his hand outward towards me, with a slight smile on his face. With his voice deep as it is, he asks if I was ready to go. I nod my head as I grab my coat off the coat rack by the door. I turn ever-so-slightly to lock up. His hand still extended towards me, I place my hand ever-so-gently into his as we proceeded to his car. Being the gentleman he is, he opened the door for me. We went on our way to the Flaming Flamingo.

 

As we arrive there, we got out of his car and continue our way inside where we were guided to our table. We were laughing and talking, just having a wonderful time as we ate. He had a steak medium rare; his drink of choice, a glass of wine. I had the poached fish with a side of salad and a glass of water. As we finished our meal, we were still talking and just enjoying our time together. Across the street from us was Central Park. We decided to leave the restaurant and take a stroll through the park. The moon was full and was at its highest; we continued our walk through a garden. He was telling me that he was once in the military, but was given an honorable discharge after getting shot in his right leg six years ago. He told me he was a corporal.  I was telling him how I lost my family when I was a child. We proceed to swap stories until arriving at my front door. We continued on for a good five minutes. My heart pounding as he stares into my eyes, he moves slowly closer to my lips and gently pressed his lips onto mine; he had kissed me.

“Until tomorrow?” he said with calmness in his voice.

I nodded in response, “Until tomorrow.”

 

The time is late and I carried myself up the stairs. I proceeded onto my room where I undressed to slip on to something more comfortable to sleep in. It was now a minute past midnight, I gently got into my bed anxious to tell Rachael about my night. I was too excited that I could not sleep, so I grab my T.S. Elliot poetry collection and began to read a little before falling asleep.

 

CRASH!” I sat bolt upright in bed, my T.S. Elliot poetry book tumbling to the floor. The clock on my table read 2:37am. What in the world was that?



© 2011 Adam M. Snow


Author's Note

Adam M. Snow
***Imagine you’re this woman who was living an ordinary life. Always caring, never hurt anyone in your lifetime. One day while you lie asleep in your bed, you heard a noise coming from within your house. Could it be your dog knocking stuff over again? That’s when you get out of bed and take a look and see. But what you saw would be the very last thing you’d ever see, will alive anyways. You were just living your own life when your life was stolen from you, for what? What else money. Now you’re dead yet you cannot rest until your killers are found but the thing is, the only one who could see you now is a little girl not an age past five. This is what happened to Serenity, a woman who lost her life over money. Now this little girl is Serenity’s last hope but the thing is, her single father thinks that Serenity is her imaginary friend. What would you do if the only person you must rely on is but a kid, and the only way for your spirit to be at peace is through her?***



This is actually a book that I'm working on but the thing is, I've never written a book before. So I decided to upload what all I have so far and get some help and advice from you guys on trying to make it better.... So that's why I ask, "Is this a good start for a book and is there anything that I should fix or correct with this?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You said "Is this a good start for a book and is there anything that I should fix or correct with this?"

The idea is wonderful. Execution, however, you could use a few tips on.

#1 Punctuation is important. Check your commas, periods, and paragraphs. Remember, stories are nothing like poems; these items take much more structure. Each line of dialogue should be it's own paragraph. Commas are used where a speaker would normally pause (a rule of thumb, when in doubt).

#2 Double check your spelling/word use. This is where it's similar to poetry. Word use is very important to convey not just images but smells, emotions, and sounds. Keep the description that you use in your poems.

#3 Keep the flow. Not just in the story, but as you write it. Don't worry about the grammar or revisions. Go with the flow (which you did here!) and edit later. Maybe send the work to a few other people on here for tips and ideas when you finish a chapter, but before you post it.

Overall, though, amazing for someone with little novel experience!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

a little fast, work on your flow

Posted 11 Years Ago


so far so good

Posted 11 Years Ago


You are really pulling me into this story. Your development of the main character is giving her an old fashioned air that gives her a certain vulnerability and charm. I am feeling suspense, perhaps due to your lead in and knowing that this is not going to be a happily ever after for Serenity and her new beau. I am already a bit saddened by that...that is good because it means that I already care.

Other reviews are fantastically helpful, so I will only offer that you keep your tenses in agreement. There were several places where you started out in the present and then, went to past and then back. Won't do examples here, but if you want them I will be happy to point out. This is great and you obviously have a natural talent for storytelling!

I'll eagerly be back soon. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Adam M. Snow

11 Years Ago

Thank you
On to the next chapter !

Posted 11 Years Ago


Cant wait for more

Posted 11 Years Ago


Amazing story :))

Posted 11 Years Ago


Once again, beautiful imagery. Very well written.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I think this is great as it is... i love how you wrote his, so etiquette like and romantic... yet whats to come, you added a nice ending to this chapter.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Love the story so far found kinda romantic and it amused me to some degree and left me with wondering on where we are going to take it. Event though I do not like first person and do my best writing in third person as 98% are written this way. I try to stay objective as possible and think how the story can be better. Not finding any errors I move on to the next chapter.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It's good, But make sure that you start a new paragraph every time someone speaks. For example:
"I hope you're having a good morning?" said Rachael.
"Oh, I am." I replied as I gave a slight giggle.
Also, make sure you indent your paragraphs. Work on flow, your chapter sort of drags on and sounds mechanic. I always go by the saying "Show, don't tell." Paint a picture in your readers mind. For example:
Instead of saying, "As I turned around, that’s when I notice a handsome man appeared to be in his early thirties; he had a child with him. The child was that of a little girl, who got to of been at least four years old."
Say something like: Slowly I turned, responding to the deep voice. The man it belonged to was very handsome, tall with broad shoulders (include further description of what you picture him to appear as here) and appearing to be in his early thirties. As my eyes wandered down I noticed a small child, a girl with (include description of her here) and merely four years of age.
See the difference? You want the audience to picture the story, don't just tell them what happens, make them use their five sences (sight, hearing, touch, smell, taste) by giving a detailed description of what is happening. It will make it more fun and intriguing to read. This technique is called a Snapshot.
When you have someone think something to themselves, like you had "Was that him?" I said to myself" Make sure that if they are not saying it out loud that it is in italics, that is called a Thought shot. Also, make sure that the very last puncuation mark goes inside the very last quotation mark.
It is a very good start, keep it up.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe




Author

Adam M. Snow
Adam M. Snow

Phoenix , AZ



About
"The writer’s mind, can surpass even the most intellectual minds." –Adam M. Snow I keep my work clean, I write to inspire others. Some people would even call me a philosopher, but w.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..