SECOND CHANCE

SECOND CHANCE

A Story by Solitaireman
"

I wrote this essay when I was a trainee at the LDS Humanitarian Service Center. I had an instructor give me an assignment to describe the place where I worked.

"

Have you ever said to yourself: "I could have done something with my life if only I had the chance." It may surprise you to learn there is such a place where second chances are the norm. The place I am referring to is the Latter-day Saint Humanitarian Service Center.


Originally, the building was constructed as a munitions manufacturing plant. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints now uses it as a sorting and dispersing facility. Some may say it has been transformed from a place of destruction to a place where not only inanimate objects are given a second chance but human beings as well. People from many diverse ethnic backgrounds, including those within our own shores, find their way to this special place. Some are refugees, others have disabilities. But, they are all seeking a better life for themselves and their families. Unlike the infamous Ellis Island, the Humanitarian Center actually makes a concerted effort to integrate these people into American society.


With the exception of the staff who are actually employed by the Humanitarian Center itself, a majority of the worker are referred to as 'trainees', and are given a multitude of tasks to perform. The work may appear routine and tedious. The program helps them to form necessary work habits they will need for their new lives.


Education is greatly emphasized. For the trainees who are non-English speaking, the center offers them "English as a Second Language" or "ESL" classes. There are also classes for those who wish to upgrade their job skills, or who want to learn a valuable trade. College courses are offered through the local community college. The staff and missionary volunteers will bend over backwards to help trainees achieve their ultimate goal.


The purpose of the center is neither charity nor welfare. The trainees are required to put forth a significant effort towards their own futures. The Latter-day Saint Humanitarian Service Center does provide a hand up rather than a handout.


A small benefit that many seem to overlook is the rather unique opportunity to meet people from all four corners of the globe and making this world a better place for everyone. From my perspective, this is the center's greatest blessing.

© 2015 Solitaireman


Author's Note

Solitaireman
I wrote this nearly thirty years ago so it may not be politically correct. If anyone has any suggestion to improve it, I am listening.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

i wish i had knowledge of this so i could add to your essay... this pace seems like a great place for opportunities but its so far away from me... great essay

Posted 8 Years Ago


I don't find this politically incorrect, and it is very well written, but of course it's a bit dated now.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Solitaireman

8 Years Ago

I understand what you mean by it being outdated because I wrote it over twenty years ago.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

348 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 30, 2015
Last Updated on May 30, 2015
Tags: LDS, humanitarian, second chance

Author

Solitaireman
Solitaireman

Salt Lake City , UT



About
I started writing after I discovered I had something in common with Mark Twain. Our respective births were announced by natural phenomenon. His was the passing of Halley's Comet while mine was the cre.. more..

Writing