This Is What I Do.

This Is What I Do.

A Story by Sonakshi Arora
"

You'd want to do it too. 🎗️

"
Hi! I'm Sonakshi and let me take you on a hypothetical journey.

Imagine yourself being told that your child has cancer. That's not the end, he/she has 11 months to live because we don't have medicines and we are failing your child .

By the time you'll absorb these two lines, a child will be diagnosed with cancer. The time in which you take in this fact, another child will be diagnosed with cancer. By the time you'll contemplate all these two paragraphs, 43 kids will enter a fight not meant for them. And the moment your day ends, the numbers will hit an unprecedented 700. One year later when this strikes you ,it'll be 40,000.

This is childhood cancer. And that's not the end of the odious facts. Only the end of some children.

Imagine having headache every single day of your life but being given only three limited medications even though you know it won't cure it.

Three

Three is the number of drugs developed for kids fighting cancer in the last 20 years.

Now for the worse, imagine that you are given to understand that your government gives only 4% of its entire federal funding to pediatric cancers.

It's time you now come out of this imagination I've put you through because it's the reality. These are what some families go through everyday. These are what the kids go for 5 years maximum. Not because they are cured after 5 years, it's because they DIE.

Neil Armstrong's daughter died of terminal brain cancer in 1962. It's 2018 and that cancer still has no cure. She had nine months back then. Kids still have nine months now.

And so I stand up to raise awareness for these kids. To be a voice for them.
I write poetry and essays for them and for you to understand their plight. And trust me, it's something.

Read about childhood cancer and you'll scare yourself to death.

Go gold for these kids. Do the slightest bit you can.

Raise your voice.


© 2018 Sonakshi Arora


Author's Note

Sonakshi Arora
I do understand this piece is harsh but so is the reality. Thank you for reading and do drop in comments. Join the movement if you want.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

That's a strong write on a topic all people need to be aware about. Today itself I read about some cancer movement in the newspaper, where you could donate 6 inches of your hair or get a purple streak to show your participation. That's a good initiative.
I appreciate you writing and sharing this with us. Thank you!
(A spelling error..."federal funding to 'paediatric' cancers")

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sonakshi Arora

6 Years Ago

Thank you Zoe :)
(Actually we follow the British rules so it's just a plain 'e' for us😅)
Zoya

6 Years Ago

Man, I suck, don't I. Lol. Sorry for that. And you're welcome!
Sonakshi Arora

6 Years Ago

Haha no issues ! :)



Reviews

That's a strong write on a topic all people need to be aware about. Today itself I read about some cancer movement in the newspaper, where you could donate 6 inches of your hair or get a purple streak to show your participation. That's a good initiative.
I appreciate you writing and sharing this with us. Thank you!
(A spelling error..."federal funding to 'paediatric' cancers")

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sonakshi Arora

6 Years Ago

Thank you Zoe :)
(Actually we follow the British rules so it's just a plain 'e' for us😅)
Zoya

6 Years Ago

Man, I suck, don't I. Lol. Sorry for that. And you're welcome!
Sonakshi Arora

6 Years Ago

Haha no issues ! :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

130 Views
1 Review
Added on January 10, 2018
Last Updated on January 10, 2018
Tags: Childhood Cancer, more than four, go grey go gold

Author

Sonakshi Arora
Sonakshi Arora

Navi Mumbai, India



About
This is going to be a bit long but I swear it is funny please read it don't go.... Hello fellow writers! I once wrote a poem which somehow got selected for my school magazine. Then I wrote a poem w.. more..

Writing
Love Love

A Poem by Sonakshi Arora


Brave Brave

A Poem by Sonakshi Arora