Night Songs

Night Songs

A Story by Star
"

Make a joyous noise.

"

It's 11:30 PM

 

It's dark across from this shopping center.  The traffic is heavy.  The moon is 3/4 full or thereabouts.

 

I am sitting in my car, just posted a blog.

 

I keep hearing this noise, it sounds like sirens coming from the lake across the intrastate.

 

It's very dark over there.

 

It dawns on me.  

 

They aren't sirens

 

They're coyotes.

 

OMG they are coyotes!  I used to live about a mile from here and I knew there was a mother and kits right there.  I almost lost my dog to the mom because he found the den and she was in it.  No harm done, she was startled but I pulled him away before she really decided to fight.  She was nursing so stayed with the kits as long as we were backing up.

 

I have never really heard coyotes before.  This is Chicago, we've killed them all with expansion and the need for ever increasing space and safety for children and pets.

 

And I listen.

 

Oh Joy!  I listen!

 

It's an adult and kits.  They are yipping, and calling and yipping.

 

And I listen.

 

They are moving closer, the yips fade....

 

And I listen and they start again.

 

This time, it doesn't sound like a 'Where are you?" cry, it sounds like an "I am here baby, I am here." and "Oh Mama, we missed you!" sound.

 

And I listen......

 

And they sing! 

They sing! 

They sing of joy and love and freedom!

 

*wiping tears* I never knew they really sing.  I thought it was romantic cowboy BS.....but they do, they sing.  I swear!  It is a beautiful song.  I wish I could have recorded it to share. 

© 2009 Star


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

coyotes are awesome and so is your voice on paper. Just sayin

Posted 10 Years Ago


This is a wonderful wirte...
I really enjoyed it!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is indeed a glorious sound, I am a big nature fan, grew up in the country on a farm. So have heard coyotes and wolves many times. Nice write.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

312 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 10, 2008
Last Updated on February 1, 2009

Author

Star
Star

Chicago, IL



About
Hi everyone! How bout that choosing what genre you write in thing? I would think most of us felt a bit of singe on the ol'dendrites with that. I know I couldn't pick just one genre and several fit .. more..

Writing
Reentry Reentry

A Poem by Star


I Danced I Danced

A Poem by Star



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..