Moving On...

Moving On...

A Story by Stargirl

I sat there, under the flickering street lights of Hummingbird Ave, watching the blood from the crease of my forehead roll down my pale skin and onto the jagged road. It was all so alive in my eyes, every second, every minute, haunting me. Slowly, I closed my eyes and gently rewind to what had happened.

I was at Jesse’s house that repulsive night finishing a science project or, at least, that’s what I had told my parents. The truth was that I was actually going to a party. It wasn't like I wanted to go or anything - I mean I’m not the type of guy who goes to these things, but if I didn't attend this one my social life would be ruined. You see, Jesse was the popular kid; what he says goes and I don’t want to be the nerd of the school or the goody two shoes. That’s why when Jesse “invited me” to his party I had to go or else what would he have thought of me? Just another geek, the lowest of the high school food chain - that’s what he would have thought.

I would have been that even if I did attend this party. When I arrived, I understood that the only reason Jesse had invited me was to make fun of me. That’s right - to make fun of me! He played the video. The one he promised not to put on YouTube, but, decided to play at his party, right in front of me!

The video was from about a week ago in lab class. Jesse had asked me how two solutions could change colour to help him for the upcoming lab report. Out of all the others, I felt glad that he had asked me, so I put my lab coat on and started to show him. He started videotaping it so, he could remember it. As I started to mix the two solutions together, I didn’t know that someone had added baking soda and vinegar to both of them. As I poured them together, waiting for it to change color, I leaned forward to see why it was taking so long.  Then all of a sudden the blue color from the mixture exploded on to my face. My face was pure blue from the mixture and Jesse just started laughing and began to walk out the door, as if he already knew it was going to happen. All of a sudden the joy of being selected had vanished.

 I couldn’t let him do this.  I knew he would upload it onto YouTube and that would be humiliating. I couldn’t show my face ever again in high school. My legs quickly lifted me into the air. My heart raced with the thought and I started to run after him.

“Jesse!” I called out the top of my lungs. 

I begged him to not put the video on the internet - I had even promised to do his lab report for him if he didn’t upload the video. To my relief, he promised he wouldn’t upload it. But this, it wasn’t fair. I felt like I had been played, played as a fool.

The laughter of that cold room turned my face bright red. I felt like punching Jesse in the face but I resisted. Of course I couldn’t do anything to them. My palms were soaked in sweat of humiliation and a cold chill ran down my spine. With that, I quickly grabbed my coat and ran out the door.

Outside was cold but not as cold as the people inside. My vision blurred from the tears that filled my eyes. I stopped running and started to wipe my face. It was dark and dim outside - the only light coming from the flickering street lights overhead that were usually turned off. There was a cold autumn chill, and the sound of fallen leaves crunching with every step I took. I felt as if the night was warning me, that something terrible was about to happen.

 Across the road was the bus stop to go home. There weren’t any traffic lights and so I slowly started walking across the pebbly road when I suddenly stepped on my shoe lace. That’s when I realized that my shoe was untied. I crouched down to tie my shoe lace in the middle of the road. My hands were cold, from the sweat of embarrassment. They were shaking so much that I couldn’t even make the first knot.

All of a sudden, I heard a car coming; it wasn’t any car, it was a death car you could say. It sped faster than a train in full speed.

 The lights got closer. My head turned to the sound and my legs quickly lifted me up and I started run to the other side but it was too late.

My heart was beating with its last beats, my breath quivering with the sight.

 I tripped over my shoe lace and my head slammed on to the stony road with a force that had landed me on my back.

 The light of the speeding car blinded me. I let out my last breath, my heart beating its last terrified beats. I closed my eyes for the very last time.

 CRASH!

When I woke up, I was here under the flickering lights of Hummingbird Ave watching the blood from the crease of my forehead roll down my pale skin and onto the harsh road. The bloody tracks of the tire that ran through my body, not caring to stop in its haste, were shown on my white shirt over my unzipped black coat.

Now that I think of all this, being the geek of the school would have been much better than where I now ended up. Dead. That’s right, dead on the rough road of Hummingbird Ave, not having a soul to help me.

Can you believe it, I was about to be a big brother, a role model, someone to look up to for my new baby brother or sister... That thought kept stirring in my head.  All my life I had been an only child, watching others talking, playing even arguing with their siblings while I just stood there and watched. My parents were always there for me but I couldn`t expect them to act like siblings for me. They had their own roles to play. I was always alone without anyone to depend on or even talk to.

 I remember that day my mom said we needed to talk. Of course, I thought that I had done something wrong and tried to find an excuse for what I had done as soon as possible. However, I just couldn’t think of anything. I had been absolutely good for the past few weeks. Anyway, I sat beside my mom on our sofa in our living room.

“Andrew,” she started to say. “I don’t know how to say this to you so, I am going to come right out and say it. I am sorry if this is to fast but...” her voice trailed off and I stated to apologize trying to find out why but she continued to speak so I listened.

“Andrew, you’re going to have a baby brother or sister.”

I could see the sparkle of happiness in her eyes. But, I just couldn’t believe it; I mean not that I didn’t want a sibling, it was just so fast.  I couldn’t even look at my mom. “Andrew! Wait!” I heard her say while I quickly scurried off to my room not saying a word to my mom. I shut the door behind me and lay on my bed and pulled the covers over my head. I closed my eyes and tried to calm myself down. I was feeling happy, surprised and confused all at the same time. A guy can have that feeling right? The happy and surprised came to me; well, because I was going to be a big brother. I could finally have someone else that I can talk to in my life and, I know this sounds weird, but, I could have someone in my life to yell at and blame stuff on. Then again I was feeling confused. Would my mom stop loving me as much? How was my life going to change?  But that was the most unimportant thing to think about. I mean, I was going to be a role model, have some to look up to me and say “that’s my big brother” and well... somebody to love. Now, I sound like Justin Bieber.

 “This day couldn’t get any worse,” I muttered.

                Now I won’t even be there, my brother or sister will have to grow up the way I did, not having a sibling or a person to depend on. Someone like me shouldn’t be called an “only child” but a “lonely child.” It’s not fair that my sibling has to replay my life, I wanted the best for them but now...

 What would my parents think of their son now? That thought also stirred in my head - the thought of my parents.  How would I ever make it up to them? I know I’ve made mistakes in life but I would always get the chance to apologize, until now. 

I felt a warm tear rolled down my cheek as an autumn breeze flushed through my face, trying to soothe me from the thought, but there was no use. How could I leave this world without letting my parents know how sorry I am, how I wouldn’t ever do it again. They could punish me as much as they want but I don’t want to leave them, not like this, not now, not ever... That’s it, I don’t care. I am not going to move on. I want to stay here on earth. I won’t go, I can’t go.

Even though my mom could get in my head sometimes, she was still my mom. She loved me and cared about me and now I couldn’t see her again! I would do anything to stay with her for a second more of my life even though my life has come to an end. Even my dad, I know he can get strict on me but, that’s because he loves me and wants to make me into a better person than I already am. But now, would they still love me as much as they did? When I look back at my life, I feel so lucky, I had everything a guy ever needed and now I had to leave them all behind. I just couldn't.

As I looked above me, I could see the light starting to break through the thick clouds. I could feel more dreadful tears rolling down my cheek. As much as I wanted to stay, I know I couldn't. If I did then I would have just stayed here wandering not being able to do anything about my past. Is that what I want? I sat down on my knees, bowed my head forward and stayed still for a while thinking, just thinking, not knowing what to do next.

                I could feel the light from the sky touch my face. It felt as if petals of roses had washed over my skin. I knew I had to move on to the light. However, before I moved forward, I whispered under my breath, “I’ll be there for you.” For this message wasn't for my parents but for someone special in my heart who I will always be there for, no matter where I am. I’ll be watching over and protecting them until it’s time for them to come where I am.

I took one last look around me and lastly at my body, hoping my new sibling wouldn't lay where I once did. Then, I started to move forward and into the light, once step at a time. 

© 2013 Stargirl


Author's Note

Stargirl
Please ignore the grammar problems, it's my first try at a short story. Feel free to tell me any suggestions you may have. Every comment is greatly appreciated!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I did as you asked, just didn't switch grammar tracking on and let my subconsciousness happily rewrite sentences before giving them back to consciousness. At some point I needed to switch assuming on ( just accept that what is said in text is how it is supposed to be, in consideration to school life and it's consequences), but otherwise OK. I think others could have big problems with that nevertheless.
Good and moving writing. Really sad. It's too often when we realize things only when something big happens. I really liked the ending, how he was thinking about what he had lost. At some places “me” started to talk - “Oh, him running away could be a big misunderstanding”, “No, don't stop on the road, car will hit you” - which would be good in novel. Levitation thing felt a bit throwing out of the feeling.
Oh right! I think, I shouldn't write this because you could like him and could get me wrong, but when you mentioned Justin Bieber I was like noooo, he has found me here too, I need to run away. But if jokes away then mentioning some kind of celebrities, movies or books can limit how much of readers will understand you correctly.
A tip – this editor tends to change “-” to “ " ” sometimes, so check after posting your work haven't it. I saw it did in some places. And there was one line break in one of the paragraphs splitting it in mid sentence, you should delete that.
It's always awkward to ask and you can ignore this, but do you have a younger brother? Like only some years younger? Just asking to get some things right together...awkward.

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Stargirl

11 Years Ago

Thank you for your review! I'm not a Justin Bieber fan but, I just wanted to add some humor to this .. read more
janiksxxl

11 Years Ago

Then you are even better writer. I sometimes read autobiography's, it helps to better understand why.. read more
Stargirl

11 Years Ago

aha that's very interesting ^.^ Why did you think that? Did my story relate to it?



Reviews

Wow! Love this!!! I'm thirteen too and really into art-ish stuff, like writing, drawing, but NOT ACTING!!! I have horrible stage fright. Cool icon BTW :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Stargirl

11 Years Ago

Im fourteen now :P and Same HERE! I have a bad case of "stage fright" as well, you're not alone in t.. read more
You get better by recognizing problems and learning how to correct them, otherwise this merely becomes an exercise in telling a person how great they are. So what am I to say. I read your short story. It's a short story. It has correctable flaws. It has a fair theme.

Everyone makes mistakes, that is why editors make a living - correcting us. It is hoped that as we continue writing we will make fewer mistakes ...sometimes I wonder about that because with my fumbly fingers I still have to go back and correct comments prior to pressing reply - nearly every time.

Good luck with your writing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Stargirl

11 Years Ago

I understand, but I thank you for your critic. This was my first shot at a story but, not a successf.. read more
Chris

11 Years Ago

You'll do fine, just give yourself a chance.
Oh this is such an incredible write... WOW... you have allot of talent Star girl...what a story..bulling is such a sad affair.... its makes me so upset.... and my son's name is Eric... but would never bully.... I felt your emotions in this and you should keep writing... I'll keep reading... really a great piece !!! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Stargirl

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much! You have a lot of talent yourself Debbie! And I am glad to hear that! Thanks Agai.. read more
Wow! This was very well done, great imagery! Awesome story!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Stargirl

11 Years Ago

Thank you Owlgirl!
I did as you asked, just didn't switch grammar tracking on and let my subconsciousness happily rewrite sentences before giving them back to consciousness. At some point I needed to switch assuming on ( just accept that what is said in text is how it is supposed to be, in consideration to school life and it's consequences), but otherwise OK. I think others could have big problems with that nevertheless.
Good and moving writing. Really sad. It's too often when we realize things only when something big happens. I really liked the ending, how he was thinking about what he had lost. At some places “me” started to talk - “Oh, him running away could be a big misunderstanding”, “No, don't stop on the road, car will hit you” - which would be good in novel. Levitation thing felt a bit throwing out of the feeling.
Oh right! I think, I shouldn't write this because you could like him and could get me wrong, but when you mentioned Justin Bieber I was like noooo, he has found me here too, I need to run away. But if jokes away then mentioning some kind of celebrities, movies or books can limit how much of readers will understand you correctly.
A tip – this editor tends to change “-” to “ " ” sometimes, so check after posting your work haven't it. I saw it did in some places. And there was one line break in one of the paragraphs splitting it in mid sentence, you should delete that.
It's always awkward to ask and you can ignore this, but do you have a younger brother? Like only some years younger? Just asking to get some things right together...awkward.

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Stargirl

11 Years Ago

Thank you for your review! I'm not a Justin Bieber fan but, I just wanted to add some humor to this .. read more
janiksxxl

11 Years Ago

Then you are even better writer. I sometimes read autobiography's, it helps to better understand why.. read more
Stargirl

11 Years Ago

aha that's very interesting ^.^ Why did you think that? Did my story relate to it?

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

327 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 11, 2012
Last Updated on June 1, 2013

Author

Stargirl
Stargirl

About
Hi I'm stargirl, I'm 14 years old and I love to write poetry. I don't enjoy poetry that rhymes and all those kid-ish kinds but the one that set your emotions free and make you feel something beautiful.. more..

Writing
Don't Be Don't Be

A Poem by Stargirl