Dear Outer-self

Dear Outer-self

A Poem by S. Taylor
"

My Dear Outer-self pieces are more like heartfelt journal entries in which I reflect on my surroundings.

"
Dear Outer-self,
There was another report on the news today of yet another tragic loss;
one more tortured soul was taken away too young.
Gone are the days we knew how to deal with our problems.
Now we just throw more pills at them and hope they go away.
Instead, they just pile up higher and higher as we slip deeper and deeper into disrepair.
Dear Outer-self,
We don't know how to talk about our problems anymore;
we just stare at our smart-phones, getting dumber and dumber, until they suck all the "smart" out of us.
Mean while, our world is spiraling further and further out of control.
No one seems to notice the young woman sitting alone in the corner feeling rejected.
She has white lines drawn on the insides of her wrists,
battle scars from all the times she felt she didn't matter.
Well, her existence didn't matter until she became one more tragic news report,
seemingly loved more in death than she ever was in life.
Dear outer-self,
Too many people fail to see their inner beauty.
They live their lives in their own little worlds clouded by judgement and ugly lies,
never realizing how loved they truly are.
Dear Outer-self,
This used to be me,
and some days it still is.
Today is different, outer-self.
Today, I am going to love myself and others before it is too late.
Today is the day I take back my life and fight for those who are so close to giving up.
Today we all matter.
       Love,
       My Inner-self

© 2016 S. Taylor


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Engaging and very true. It's lovely and sad at the same time. I couldn't stop reading it once I'd started and I enjoyed every bit of it. Thank you for sharing it and keep on writing.

Posted 7 Years Ago


This is an amazing piece of well thought out poetry... Everything you said are very true, and I'm glad to see your observations about this modern well developed so called society... This world is depending more on pills, and with each and every pill the situation is getting more worse.... Nowadays outer beauty is more important than the inner beauty, there is no place for love... You did a fabulous job with such observations and presenting them here....

Regards
Dhiman

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

167 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 12, 2016
Last Updated on April 12, 2016
Tags: journal, suicide, tradgedy

Author

S. Taylor
S. Taylor

Celoron, NY



Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..