The patient in 34

The patient in 34

A Story by Strawberry Evil



”Do you remember that young boy, that was a patient in 34?” a young nurse asked from her collegue.

”Ah, yes, somehow. A sad case…” The nurse handed out a browcovered book.

”I found his diary.” The older nurse grapped the book and looked at it with a sad face. The patient of 34 wouldn't be easily forgotten.


Dear Diary.

It's my second day at the hospital. I called mother yesterday and asked her to visit.

”I'm not coming to a stincking hospital! I bet you jumped in front of that bloody car on purpose!” mother yelled at me. It wasn't like that, you believe me right? I was on a walk with my dog, when the car just suddenly came out of nowhere. The hospital is suprisingly nice compared to home. As you know, father died a year a go and mother is always drunk. Oh, the fairies followed me here, you know. They are keeping me company, so I won't feel alone. They talk about father a lot, reminding me of tht night.


”He often talked about the fairies”, the young nurse interrupted. The older nodded and continnued.


What night, you ask? Well, the one we went fishing with father. I was holding a smelly fish in my hands, when he slipped, hit his head to a rock and fell from the shore to the water. I can still see his pale face, and smell the fish, I've hated that smell my whole life. That's when mother started drinking and turned all weird on me, blaming me for father's death. You know, I think the smell of that fish is in the hospital too…


The nurse's voice shaked. The younger one took the diary and kept reading on her behalf.

”The next day”, she noted.


The fairies talk more to me that usually.

”A few broken bones won't slow you down!” One of them told me.

”We'll take care of you”, other whispered. I like the fairies really much. I believe what they tell me, because they are my dear, and only friends.


I've been in the hospital a week already. My other arm is this in plaster cast and they are making me eat weird pills. The smell of fish has gotten stronger. It makes me sick, but the fairies cheer me up. Mother hasen't visited, but my classmate visited yesterday. The nurses said I'd get home soon. I don't want to go home to mother's... It's scary


The fairies are complitely silent today. One is sitting on the gable of my bed, watching me closely. Other's are sitting on the edges of the ceiling light, chatting. I asked the nurse, if she sees them. She just shook her head and told me it could be a side effect from the pain meds. I didn't believe her, but it's okay. It might be hard for her to see them.


”You were the one he asked about it, right?” the older nure asked. The younger nodded.

”But pain medicine can cause hallusinations”, she noted. The older one nodded and continnued reading for a change.


It's evening already. The fairy on the end of my bed is still looking at me. Finally I asked what was wrong.

”What is your biggest deam?” she asked. I told her that I dremt of having wings, so I could fly away. I would run away from home, escape the smell of fish. The fairy smiled and flied up to the rest. If only I could get away...


”How can someone so young be so sad”, the nurse sighed. The other one nodded and abstactedly turned the page.


I woke up suprisingly early today. The fairies were giggling around me. I asked them what was so funny.

”We can make your dream come true”, one giggled. It filled me with exitement, I'm still shaking! They promised! The fairies promised to help me fly!


The nurse closed the book. It was the final writing on it.

”Everyone said he fell by accident”, she whispered. The other one nodded and shooked her head.

”He jumped…”
”Thinking he could fly.”

© 2015 Strawberry Evil


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

wow. just.
this was such a beautiful story. it paints such a lovely picture of innocence yet framed by something darker. i like how you made it so that it was not just a diary but also a dialogue between the nurses. while there are a few spelling / grammar errors ('a young nurse asked from her collegue.' should be 'a young nurse asked her colleague.') they are minor and do not distract from the story.

the ending was absolutely perfect. i think this was an amazing write and i hope to see more like this in the future! c:

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Strawberry Evil

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your review! And yeah, I'm not the strongest person with grammar :D
I'.. read more
hannah y.

8 Years Ago

you're very welcome! c:



Reviews

This was a fantastic read. You put every necessary detail into it perfectly. The ending is a beautiful tragedy which I can't help but to think that he did get to fly.
There were a lot of grammatical problems, but they were very easy to get passed. Very well done

Posted 8 Years Ago


Strawberry Evil

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much! And I'm sorry about the grammatical errors *bows*
wow. just.
this was such a beautiful story. it paints such a lovely picture of innocence yet framed by something darker. i like how you made it so that it was not just a diary but also a dialogue between the nurses. while there are a few spelling / grammar errors ('a young nurse asked from her collegue.' should be 'a young nurse asked her colleague.') they are minor and do not distract from the story.

the ending was absolutely perfect. i think this was an amazing write and i hope to see more like this in the future! c:

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Strawberry Evil

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your review! And yeah, I'm not the strongest person with grammar :D
I'.. read more
hannah y.

8 Years Ago

you're very welcome! c:

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

367 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 29, 2015
Last Updated on October 29, 2015

Author

Strawberry Evil
Strawberry Evil

Turku, Finland



About
I love writing. Poems, stories, lyrics... It's the way to express myself and.. well.. be me. I love writing both poems and stories. more..

Writing