The Lesson

The Lesson

A Story by Tyson

A student and his teacher were training on a mountain side. The younger man had great discipline and his teacher was well pleased with his progress. One day, the student arrived to find his master holding a large bucket.


“Fill this bucket.” The old man said, pointing to a stream nearby. “But do not use the bucket to scoop the water. Only use your hands.” The student was confused, but he went about the work dutifully as his teacher walked away and out of his sight.


Hours later the teacher returned and found his student exhausted sitting next to a full bucket. The teacher simply nodded and said “You are excused for the day.” He turned his back and walked away from a stunned pupil.


The next day went much the same, except this time, the student arrived to find his teacher standing next to a large pile of rocks. The pile was as tall as the bent over elder.


“Move this pile, there” Said the teacher, pointing to a patch of grass to his left. He then turned his back on his student and walked away. Again the student was left alone for a handful of hours, and again he came back to find that his student had performed his task dutifully. This time the older man looked at the pupil for a long time and almost appeared disappointed as he said “You are excused” Without another word, he left.


The next day the student was angry, but determined to maintain his self control. When he got there, his teacher was on all fours, examining a flower. “There is a breeze today.Watch this Lilly” said the teacher, “And count how many times the wind moves it while I am gone.” The student was furious at this busy work, but bit his tongue as his teacher once again left him.


When the teacher came back, he found the student on all fours, straining to keep his eyes open. The old man sighed as he walked towards the young man, who stood up and disdainfully gave his final count.


“I dont care.” Said the old man to the student's dismay. “And neither should you”


“What do you mean?” shouted the younger man


The elder smiled and looked at the youth with warmth “Why have you been doing these tasks?”


“Because you told me too! I’m doing as you asked.” said the student, exasperated.


“What is my job, my child?” Asked the teacher.


“To make me stronger, wiser, better.” Said the student


“Are any of these tasks making you stronger?” He asked “Or wiser? Or Better?”


“No sir!” Said the student.


“Then you owe me nothing. You don’t owe it to me to accomplish them.” When he was that his student was confused, he put an arm around him.


“I won’t always be here.” Said the old man. “And when I am gone you will meet many people who want to use you. For good. For evil. For amusement. You must find out who you are. You must find what is important to you, what YOU hold dear and hold on to it. I cannot tell you how to live. I can only teach you how to tell yourself how to live. Focus first on purity of intention. Then,  when you have truly achieved wisdom, you will move when you are determined to move, and for no other reason.”

© 2018 Tyson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

100 Views
Added on April 14, 2018
Last Updated on April 14, 2018