One

One

A Chapter by Amanda
"

The first chapter in my new book, Post Mortem. I hope it will make you want to keep on reading (:

"
Preface
“You can only live so long cheating death, boy.” His white, white arm seemed to strengthen and become more solid by the second. His fingernails stabbed into my neck, making it hurt even more to breathe. Breathing already made hard by the fingers wrapped around my neck, holding me up off of the damp ground.

I knew when I came here that I would be subject to crappy monologue and all kinds of pain. I also knew that no one would come to save me. Not this time.  

I love you, Natalie.

Ajax grins, his brown hair becoming more vibrant and voluminous. His eyes will never change back to exactly the color they were before he died.  Death makes his once bright blue eyes a shade paler, looking slightly milky. The rest of his features will be the same though, and I can tell he was strong when he was alive.

I’m sorry, Drew.

The Secret is working, he is no longer a walking memory, a ghost. Ajax is alive. That’s bad news.

Mostly because I, Isaac Payne, am about to die.

                                    ONE

I sipped my chocolate milkshake through a straw, sitting at a round little table with my best friend, Drew. He was picking at a small bowl of hot fudge sundae with a spoon, not wasting a single drop of it. “I bet you I can make a girl’s day better than you can,” he said offhandedly.

“Yes,” I snorted, shaking the covered cup a bit, “because you are every girl’s wet dream.”

Drew laughed at that, waving his spoon pointedly at me. “I’ll have you know I’m none too shabby with the ladies. Just ask your mom.”

I rolled my eyes, looking at the mall around us. We were outside a café on the outskirts of the food court. The mall was teeming with people today, and the ages varied. Most were about our age. “Fine, we each pick out each other’s. What are the stakes?”

There are always stakes when it comes to Drew. My best friend and I were similar in many ways, but we balanced each other out in differences, too. He had shaggy blond hair and blue eyes that were almost grey. I had messy chestnut hair that I could rarely do anything with. Brushing it and running a hand through it had the same effect, and no matter what I did, at some point in the day it would come out kind of spiked with locks all pointing skyward.

While I was sort of serious, Drew was not. The only thing he was dedicated to was working out and the garage he worked at. I was a caretaker at our cemetery, and I lived in a small cottage far back in the graveyard.

“Great,” he grinned again, and narrowed his eyes. “Whoever makes the girl the happiest gets to enjoy the loser publicly embarrassing himself!”

I rolled my eyes again, a trait I have perfected when it comes to Drew. “Alright, Mr. Creative, let’s do this.”

“Fine…her.” The girl he picked out for me was facing away from us. She had long, dark hair that ending in curly ringlets. It was the darkest shade of brunette I’d ever seen. She had skinny jeans and a blue hoodie on.

I looked around the mall and saw a girl with straight dirty blonde hair wearing cutoff shorts and pink flip flops. She was waving her hands around as she ranted about something. Perfect. “Her.”

“Alright, may the best man make the girl the happiest,” he grinned and we slapped hands together. I got away, sipping my chocolaty goodness still. I really like chocolate milkshakes, especially from McDonald’s.

I walked up to the girl and tapped her on the shoulder. When she turned around , I was shocked. She had green eyes that were so dark they looked like a forest of trees. “Yes?”

“Oh, hi. I’m here to make your day.” I said in a singsong voice, shaking the cup again. It was almost empty, unfortunately.

“That is the worst pickup line I have ever heard,” She frowned, both of her hands tucked into her pockets.

I frowned, too. “It’s not a pickup line. I’m going to make your day.” I could see she was confused so I explained. “My best friend and I are making girls’ day today. And you’re a girl, so…”

The girl laughed, which made her look even prettier. “How do you know?”

I thought for a moment. “The way you laugh. Guys never laugh like that, I don’t even think it’s possible. Plus you’re too pretty to be a guy.”

Her cheeks color and I decide to get this ball rolling. “So how can I make your day today, ….?”

“Natalie,” she supplied, rolling her eyes. Ooo, me likey. Okay, wow, did I honestly just think that? “I don’t know…hmm, see that guy over there? It would make my day if you kissed him on the cheek. I love to see a guy’s sensitive side.”

I never would have done it if she hadn’t pointed to Drew. But because I am a fool, and I love Drew, like a brother mind you, it was okay. Especially since she thought he was a stranger to me. So I walked up to Drew and muttered, “Making her day,” before I put my hand on his shoulder.

He looked past me and I knew he knew what I was going to do. Being the idiots we are, I could easily bet he would make a show out of this. I pretended to whisper something in his ear, and then I gave him a light little tap on the cheek.

Ew. Even if he was my best friend and I’d do anything for him, it was still gross. “No homo,” I added a second after.

“Finally!” Drew exclaimed loudly, clutching his chest. “I’ve been crushing on you for years. Always watching from afar, never being able to just… take. I love you, Isaac!”

I couldn’t stop my eyes from rolling, as he crushed me to his side. Just then we heard two girl’s voices call out to us. “I knew you were always boning for him, Drew!”

We laughed and looked at two of our good friends, Cara and Ashley. “How could he not?” I smirked, showing off my ‘muscles’, “I am pretty damn fine.”

Ashley sauntered over to me and laid a hand on my arm. “I have to confess, here and now. I have always been boning for Isaac! I truly love him, not Drew!”

Drew gasped in shock, “Oh, the horror! Get your claws off of my man, Moore!”

The four of us were having fits of laughter by then, clutching our sides. “I never got your name, by the way,” a voice said from behind me. I instantly straightened and turned.

“Ah, Natalie…” Why did I feel so stumped around this girl? “This is Drew, Cara, Ashley, and I’m Isaac…”

“Well, er…” She glanced at the two other girls, “It was nice meeting you. And you definitely made my day.” Natalie rolled her eyes again.

As she was walking away, Drew exclaimed, “Mine!” and when she turned around, he pointed to me and mouthed it again, mimicking slicing his throat. Natalie’s eyes widened.

“Wow, great job, Drew.” Rolling my eyes, I turned to the two girls. “What’s up, ladies?”

Cara shrugged, flipping her hair back, “Same as you two, I guess. What’s been up?”

“Yeah, I haven’t seen you in a while,” Ashley said to me, looking confused. My phone went off before I could answer her. It was only the alarm going off, telling me I needed to get back.

I looked around apologetically, “I got to go, guys. It was nice seeing you. You’ll have to publicly embarrass yourself later, Drew.”

As I walked away, I heard their chorus of goodbyes for a moment. “Why does he spend so much time working?” I heard Cara ask.

Drew was trying to be quiet, but I still heard him. “He’s doesn‘t really have...a lot of friends.”

I didn’t feel hurt by what Drew had said, because I knew he only said it because he knew it as true. In high school I’d been sort of a loner, especially after…the accident. After the accident, I’d realized that I related with people of a…different crowd.

For some reason, I fit in with them, more than I did with the people at school or anywhere else.

I’d never believed in fate before, but after the accident, I came to accept what I now knew as my destiny.



© 2012 Amanda


Author's Note

Amanda
Well, I hope you like it and want to read more. I'm not sure how often new chapters will be posted, but I don't think it will be too long.
TTFN.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I enjoyed this quite a fair bit. The dialogue was what really drew me in - you have a talent for making the characters' conversation interesting, and, coupled with your 3rd-person-in-thought writing style, makes it a good page-turner... or, well, scroll-downer, in this case. Look forward to reading more!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

The concept is interesting, and I like how you started out. The only thing I would recommend is making sure that your male characters act like men, not females :) The way they think and speak is a bit more feminine (not to be sexist). It was a bit difficult to differentiate between each character that was speaking.

I'll be reading more!

Posted 11 Years Ago


This first chapter is great! Your preface is dark and mysterious, definitely grabbing attention. The chapter was so funny and we get a feel for some of the characters! Great job, I'll be reading on :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


awesoem first chapter Amanda! I love it! :D on to the second chapter! :D

Posted 11 Years Ago


I enjoyed this quite a fair bit. The dialogue was what really drew me in - you have a talent for making the characters' conversation interesting, and, coupled with your 3rd-person-in-thought writing style, makes it a good page-turner... or, well, scroll-downer, in this case. Look forward to reading more!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

In love with this, like, so much. If I could marry it, I would.
Seriously, is it illegal to marry inanimate objects?

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Amanda

11 Years Ago

Thank you very much, dude (you're gonna have to get used to hearing that all the time again :P).

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

251 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 11, 2012
Last Updated on August 21, 2012
Tags: loner, Isaac, beginning, first chapter, friends, chocolate


Author

Amanda
Amanda

MA



About
i haven't been on this website in like three years??? oh my god everything is so s****y??? body, a:hover {cursor: url(http://cur.cursors-4u.net/others/oth-8/oth704.cur), progress !important;} more..

Writing
Love Stories Love Stories

A Poem by Amanda


War War

A Poem by Amanda


Heartbreaker Heartbreaker

A Poem by Amanda



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Two Two

A Chapter by Amanda


Happiness (One) Happiness (One)

A Chapter by Amanda


Devon Devon

A Poem by Amanda