Four

Four

A Chapter by Amanda
"

The fourth chapter. Strangeness and secrets

"

Tomorrow is the Meyers’ burial, so I prepare for that for a few hours. By lunch time I’m still bored and Julie hasn’t showed up, which is weird. Come to think of it, this place is pretty dead today…no pun intended.

 

After shooing a few incessant birds away, I began to get slightly worried. It’s not like I can call around though, I mean, that would be weird. Hello, yes, I’m searching for my teenage ghost friend that only I can see. That would surely go well.

 

I’ve considered telling Drew about my secret, really I have, but every time I come close I stop myself. Drew Hanson has been my friend for over ten years, but there’s still some doubt that he won’t think I’m crazy. He won’t understand, I know that for sure. How can he? I don’t even understand it.

 

Before I can disappear into a dark place where my mind wanders ever so often, I get a text. It’s from Ashley.

 

AshNash: Hey, can we talk? Please

 

That makes me curious. I even stroke my imaginary goatee wondering about the cause. Today’s getting pretty unusual.

 

Isaac: what about? Everything okay?

 

AshNash: Just meet me at the diner.

 

Isaac: Pushy, pushy… I’ll be there in fifteen minutes.

 

She doesn’t text back, so I assume that’s fine. The diner is the hotspot that we liked to frequent when we were all in high school. They made pretty good milkshakes too. I wondered what was up with everyone today. Was it a full moon or something? I mean, I was in a pretty good mood, but everyone else seemed to be in a solemn mood.

 

I sang along to the radio all the way to the diner, making my throat a bit coarse. Ashley’s bright red car was there, so I just went right in. She was a sight to behold.

 

Usually Ashley started trends and used just enough makeup to cover up unfriendly blemishes. But I found her sitting in a booth wearing a large and loose grey sweatshirt with the hood pulled over her head. Her eyes, usually accented with whatever girls use to make them ‘pop’ were smudged and a bit puffy.

 

“Ash, what’s wrong?” I asked, concerned. Sliding into the booth, I covered one of her hands with mine. She didn’t answer me at first, just kept swallowing. I realized she was crying.

 

“Isaac?” She finally sniffled, looking up at me from dark eyes with mascara smudged into a half circle under her eyes. “I…I’m sorry, b-but you’re the o-only one I know who knows how it feels…”

 

“Ashley, what’s wrong?” I demand, glancing around the diner. Hestia, the usual waitress, glances at us frequently. F**k off. All I’ve ever known her to do is gossip.

 

“I…Michael’s hurt, Isaac. That stupid, stupid man b-beat him a-and now he’s so b"b-broken.” She bursts into sobs, “I can tell the doctors think he’s not going to m-make it.”

 

In a flash I’m on her side of the booth, an arm around her. “Hey…hey, Michael’s a tough little boy. What happened?”

 

Michael Nash was Ashley’s little brother. They shared the same mother, but his dad is an alcoholic and Ashley’s dad is a great man. Her mum is married to the alcoholic, the ‘stupid, stupid man’ that Ashley’d been referring to.

 

“He has three broken ribs and a serious concussion,” she moaned, her face falling into her hands. I catch something along the lines of, “Not even awake.”

 

“Ashley…I don’t know how to help you. All I can say is I’m sorry, I’m really, really sorry.”

 

“I-Isaac, what am I going to do if he…if he d-dies?” That was why she’d called on me to be the consoler. Ashley knew I could relate to death. I didn’t let that affect me, though. A friend needed me and I know what it’s like to be alone.

 

“He’s not going to die,” I said firmly. “Michael is a tough little boy and he’s going to make it through this. You know how I know?” I nudged her and finally she uttered a coarse ‘how?’

 

“Because he’s got an amazing big sister to take care of him, and he knows that. So there’s no need to be crying,” I said softly, thinking about Elenor.  

 

“I’m sorry, Isaac.”

 

“Don’t be,” I said softly. “Can I tell you something?”

 

I’m so close to telling her my secret. So damn close.

 

Stop, I tell myself, you can’t even tell yourself the truth, how can you tell her? And who’s to say she won’t tell Drew? My heart’s beating too fast.

 

“Sure,” she says, looking up at me, confused. I have to decide, now.

 

“I…I can…” I decide. “I’m always here for you. Can I come and visit Michael later?”

 

She nods and the frenzy that is my insides begins to calm. I’ve been keeping secrets for what seems like eternity. In a moment of weakness, I may tell my friends a secret that you already know. But I figure maybe if I tell you a secret that they already know, we’ll be a bit even.

 

When I met the dead, I found that they were more friend to me than most of the people in my life had previously been. That’s why I’m always glad to see Juliette, even if she is annoying. She accepts me. I hope that you can too.

 

The reason that everyone started to walk on eggshells around me, treat me differently, and generally avoid me is because…

 

Because…

 

Why is this so hard to say? It’s the truth and I know it. I just have to say it, I don’t have to be so dramatic about it. Here we go again, for the last time, because…

 

Because I, Isaac Payne, the guy who sees dead people, am supposed to be among them.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yeah, you heard right. I’m supposed to be dead; it’s a miracle that I’m not. For a while, that meant nothing to me; that I was alive while the others were not. That’s why Drew will never understand, why no one- not even me- will understand what my past means for my future.

 

No one understands Death, not even the ones that have gone there and brought back souvenirs….like me.  



© 2012 Amanda


Author's Note

Amanda
Okay, I'm sorry this is such a shoddy chapter. It began under the influence of One Direction, then Sarah McLaughlin and ended under Beethoven's influence. I hope it makes a bit of sense.

Keep Calm, Carry on, cause when you review, all my bad days are gone :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great ending! I love Isaac's personality.
"That makes me curious. I even stroke my imaginary goatee wondering about the cause." I absolutely love that line haha This is such an amazing story and I can't wait to read on :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


More please! I loved this chapter, I didn't think it was choppy at all

Posted 11 Years Ago


Amanda

11 Years Ago

Are you sure you want more? There will be character deaths...
Sophie

11 Years Ago

I figured considering its a book about death
Amanda

11 Years Ago

Okeydokey....

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

191 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 20, 2012
Last Updated on August 21, 2012


Author

Amanda
Amanda

MA



About
i haven't been on this website in like three years??? oh my god everything is so s****y??? body, a:hover {cursor: url(http://cur.cursors-4u.net/others/oth-8/oth704.cur), progress !important;} more..

Writing
Love Stories Love Stories

A Poem by Amanda


War War

A Poem by Amanda


Heartbreaker Heartbreaker

A Poem by Amanda



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


One One

A Chapter by Amanda


Two Two

A Chapter by Amanda


Five Five

A Chapter by Amanda


Six Six

A Chapter by Amanda


Three Three

A Chapter by Amanda