Remember Me

Remember Me

A Story by Amanda
"

I just want to be remembered

"
“Look, Jamie, there’s a chance that you can get over this. With the right treatment, you could be going home in about three weeks,” Dr. Lisa Inops tried again to convince the young woman. Her patient, Jamie Recordor, had been refusing the treatment for her disease.

Jamie was going to die, soon, if she kept refusing treatment. “I…I don’t have a home.” Her face was white and her brown hair was matted to her forehead from sweat. Her lips were chalky and shook as she spoke.

“You have a home, Jamie. I know for a fact you do, you said the same thing last week. Jamie, you’re going to die. I’m sorry, but that’s the truth if you won’t take the medicine.”

Lisa couldn’t believe it. Jamie smiled. “That’s okay.”

“What?” The doctor choked.

“I said,” she had to take another stuttering breath, “it’s okay.”

“Jamie-” Lisa started, a hand on her chest.

“Ahhh!” Jamie convulsed on the bed, pain shooting from her body from God knows where this time. It left Jamie breathing hard and shallow, more so than she already was.

“Jamie, you’re in pain! We can make the pain go away!” Dr. Inops pleaded.

The woman shook her head on the bed, “I’ve never felt better, Doc.”

“So that’s it? You’re just want o die in pain? You’re going to do that to your family?” Lisa decided to try tough love, maybe that would work.

“The family…The family I got left don’t want me.” And then from her shaky lips she drew a laugh that could have broken an angel’s heart. “Doc, I just…” she cut off and clutched her stomach in pain. “…I just want to be remembered.”

“What?” Lisa asked, caught off guard. “You will be remembered.”

“No, I won’t. Not if I don’t die here and now. I’ll disappear like I never was.”

Lisa felt tears sting the backs of her eyes. “No…no, you won’t. You’ll get better and you’ll be able to live and do the things you wanted.”

“I’ve already done all I can do,” she coughed.

“How does you refusing treatment make you remembered?” Lisa asked, confusion and sympathy touching her voice.

“It doesn’t.” Jamie looks at the ceiling. “How much longer do I have?”

Lisa clenched her fists against the tear’s that were threatening to spill. “If you don’t take the treatment, you’ll probably die in a bout three hours.”

“Three hours.” Jamie tried to give a sad smile. She whispered, “Three hours and then I’m gone.”

With a sudden bout of strength, she grabbed the doctor’s hand and pulled her closer. “Doc, please remember me. Please!” Her voice was so desperate.

“Of course I’ll remember you.” A tear slid down her cheek. Jamie Recordor would be her first patient to die. “You don’t need to die for me to remember you.”

“Yes. I’ll be the patient that died in gripping pain that you couldn’t stop. If for nothing else, you’ll…you’ll remember me for that…” Jamie began to fade out. Seconds later her body began to spasm wildly.

“We need a crash cart in here!”

                       ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Doctor Lisa Inops woke crying in her sleep. “Baby, you okay?” Her husband mumbled sleepily.

“Yeah. I’m fine,” she sniffled. “Just a bad dream.”

“You need to talk about it?” He rolled over to face her.

“No, Danny. I’m fine, sweetie, go back to sleep.” She smiled softly. It became a frown again when she thought of Jamie. She’d went flat after that seizure and never woke up again.  On her tombstone it read,

Forever Remembered In Our Hearts

She’d visited the grave a few times and placed flowers. Lisa would always remember Jamie Recordor, until the day she died.




I will remember you, will you remember me?
Don't let your life pass you by,
Weep not for the memories

© 2012 Amanda


Author's Note

Amanda
Just a little something that was stuck in my head

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A nice, Sorrowful tale....

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is a very bittersweet tale. I feel bad for the doctor, and I feel worse for Jamie; she must've been without love in her life; that's not right. No one should be without love.

Posted 11 Years Ago


You should play the online game called "All That Matters". This story reminds me of that game. I do enjoy the emotion you put into this. Sad stories aren't really my cup of tea, yet your choice of words made me appreciate the story. My only suggestion would be to give a little bit more information on why Jamie isn't accepted by her family. Without it, the story feels a bit like a cliche (please don't take that the wrong way) That's the only reason I may rate this kind of low. Was she a criminal? Was she just unloved? Was her family evil and she was the only one who went against them? Other than that, you have done a great job. Keep up the good work.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Amanda

11 Years Ago

What is the game for (i.e. PC, Xbox, PS)? I'm always up to new suggestions
The Great Brain

11 Years Ago

It's an online game. For your convenience, here's a link: http://www.kongregate.com/games/sihirbaz/a.. read more
Amanda

11 Years Ago

Thanks
Love it! Very emotional!! Powerfully worded and very well written! Amazing job!

Posted 11 Years Ago


I love the change in perspective. It made it more dramatic and enticing. The only criticism is that there were a few conventional mistakes, but it didn't matter once I was hooked. This is a very hard topic to write about, and you did it masterfully! Great work!

Posted 11 Years Ago


i seriously cried. that story was pure emotion. great write!!!!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Great story/tribute to a lost friend. The dialogue is fast-paced and emotions intense, the reader views the scenes from the word choices and sequence of conversations. The title and the ending wrap it up well and leave a lingering tinge of deep sadness.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I really love this, it brought tears to my eyes. This is amazing. Just really, really wow.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

435 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 29, 2012
Last Updated on September 13, 2012

Author

Amanda
Amanda

MA



About
i haven't been on this website in like three years??? oh my god everything is so s****y??? body, a:hover {cursor: url(http://cur.cursors-4u.net/others/oth-8/oth704.cur), progress !important;} more..

Writing
Love Stories Love Stories

A Poem by Amanda


War War

A Poem by Amanda


Heartbreaker Heartbreaker

A Poem by Amanda



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Just me Just me

A Poem by Amanda


The Family The Family

A Poem by Amanda


Just a Stage Just a Stage

A Poem by Amanda