A Day Out

A Day Out

A Chapter by Swetha

                                    

 

 

 

          A DAY OUT

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

           

             

 

"When will you be back"? asked Sapna.

"I am not sure Sapna but will try to come as soon as possible", I assured her.

"Only a month left now Sunil.  Is it really necessary for you to go at this time"?

"You know it is important and I want to try every possible way".

"You have been trying from past three months.  What difference would it make now"?

"It would because this time I would be personally trying and don't you worry Sapna I will be back on time".

"You don't know anything about her.  How will you be doing it"?

"I don't know but I am sure I will find her".

"My parents will be coming here to Madikeri next week.  What if they ask about you"?

"Do I have to teach you to handle these situations?  You are good at it".

"You take care and drive safely.  Keep updating me, ok"?

"As per your command Mam".

"I want you here at least a week before the wedding".

 

 

 

I had to be back.  After all how could I miss my own wedding.  But finding her was also more important to me.  She had completely changed my life.  Sapna was right, I was trying to find her from past three months with no luck.  So now I have set out on my own with little information I had about her.

 

I am Sunil, aged 34, 6 feet tall, light brown eyes, fair complexion, medium built, short light brown hair, living in Bangalore.  I am a business man running my electronic industry that I inherited from my father many years back.  But over time I have worked really hard and built my own empire.  Lately I have also been awarded as the best businessman.

 

I had lost my mom when I was 5 years and about 10 years back I lost my dad as well from where I took over his business.  I never liked people who didn't take life seriously until I met her.  She changed my perspective about life.  From a angry young man she had changed me to a soft hearted and caring person.

 

 

 

"Ok Sapna, I will call you once I reach Bangalore.  I know you will take care everything over here".

"Be back soon Sunil.  Love you".

 

Sapna is a wonderful person and best companion anyone could have.  She has brown eyes, black hair falling onto her shoulders, 5.8 tall, fair complexion and slim built.  She is aged 32, a successful interior decorator and runs her own firm.  I know her for past 5 years now and she has supported me in every aspect of my life.

 

Her dad is a well known advocate in Bangalore and her mom is a social worker.  Sapna has one elder brother who is into navy.  They all are wonderful people and always considered me one in their family.

 

I could have lost all this for the person I was if not for her.  That one day had a deep impact on me.  The memories from that day are still embedded in me.

 

                     ***************

 

 

"What!!! The flight got cancelled, but how"?

"They had some issues which I am not sure of.  They have arranged for next flight but it's in the evening Sir", said my assistant Anurag.

"No use of it.  The meeting is at 3.  I will go by car".

"Ok Sir, I will ask the driver to...."

"No need Anurag.  I will drive myself.  Its 8am and it takes at least 5 hours to reach Chennai.  I can't rely upon the driver".

"But I guess it would be stressful for you.  He can drive you before 2 Sir".

"I said no Mr Anurag.  I hope its clear to you.  This meeting is very important to me and I don't want to take any chances.  After so many attempts, the client has finally agreed for this meeting".

"Yes Sir, I will let the Chennai people know about your changed plan".

"That would be better and also ask them to make some arrangements for my stay tonight".

"Right away Sir".

"One more thing, this meeting is very confidential".

"Got it Sir".

 

Nothing was going right for me from past few days.  I was going through some crisis on personal front which was indirectly affecting my professional life.

 

This one client had kept me hooked for a long time but today I would finally get him under my contract and I am hoping all goes fine.

 

I was a typical businessman with no time for unnecessary attachments.  I had been engaged to Sapna.  She wanted me to spend more time with her but I used to be fully involved with my work.  Its not that I didn't love her but I was not the type to keep telling it hundred times a day.

 

She is a very emotional kind of person like any other girl who wanted me to do all those things that a boyfriend would normally do.  We started to have frequent fights.  Last night also I had a big fight with her.  She wanted to spend this day with me as it was our anniversary but this client was very important to me and I couldn't afford to cancel this meeting.

 

"Excuse me, Hi!! If you don't mind can you give me a lift, thanks". A girl asks and jumps into my car while I was waiting at the signal.

"Hey what do you think you are doing? Just get out".

"Now come on dude, you just have to drop me a bit further.  There is such a traffic today.  I couldn't find a single bus you see", she says again.

"But I have some important work.  I can't change my route to drop you".

"No need of changing your route.  You go on your way.  I will get down at one point".

"But where do you want to go"?

"For now I just want to get out of this traffic.  See the signal has also cleared now.  Just move man".

 

That girl had a blue eyes, fair complexion, about 5.6 tall, slim built and very short hair.  She had covered her head with a scarf.  She was wearing a blue jeans with a red top.  She had one small tote with her.  She had earphones hanging from her ears.  With her looks she seemed like some student and may be in her early 20s.

 

"Now will you tell me, where will you get down"? I asked her.

"Just keep on moving.  Anyways which way are you going"?

"That's none of your business".

"Ok ok, angry young man huh"?

"I am stopping now.  Now just get out".

"Hey dude, have you not been taught how to talk to a girl"?

"Look I am getting late and I don't have time for your silly talks".

"Ok fine.  I am going and dude get some life".

 

She gets down and goes her way.  I move on.  Bangalore traffic was getting so bad.  It seems all the population has stuck at one place.  With worst start in the morning and then getting stuck with that girl, there was still more to come.  It started raining heavily.  There were water blocks everywhere and the traffic didn't seem to move at all.  With slow moving traffic, I see that girl again.  She was standing under some tree fully drenched in that rain.  I usually don't bother about people who don't matter to me but somehow I felt like helping her.

 

 

"Hey, you still here"? I asked and moved my car next to her.

"Does it matter to you"? she says in a bit angry tone.

"Well I thought if you want to go still further"?

"Are you sure? I don't want to get kicked out again".

"Get inside".

"Thanks dude.  Sorry all your car is wet now".

"No issues.  Where do you want to go"?

"I was supposed to meet a friend but now she has ditched me.  I don't want to go back home".

"So what do you want to do"?

"Where are you going? Now don't say its none of my business".

"Chennai for a business meeting".

"Wow, can I accompany you.  I promise I won't disturb you".

"You want to come to Chennai that too with someone you don't know at all.  Don't you need to ask your parents"?

"They are out of town.  No one at home.  So am I coming with you"?

"I don't think its a good idea".

"No worries.  Sometimes we should go by the bad ideas you see", she winked at me.

 

I was not very comfortable about her coming with me to Chennai but somehow I didn't feel like stopping her.  This was may be because I was meeting someone of this strange character for the first time in my life.  Her attitude had surprised me. 

 

"Dude, what are you thinking"? she asked me seeing me lost.

"Nothing".

"Then come on lets make a move".

"Are you totally sure about coming with me"?

"Of course, I am 110% sure.  It will be a nice adventure for both of us".

"I am not here for any adventure.  I have an important meeting to attend".

"Ok ok, it will be an adventure for me.  Happy"?

"As it suits you".

 

                     

                     ****************

 

 

 

 

 

 

All the memories of that day was coming back to me.  She was a totally carefree bird.  Till date I never understood how did she managed to come with me, a total stranger.  But now when I think I am glad that she came with me.

 

I had set out to search for her with ample information I had about her.  I know finding her is not an easy task but I also know that it is not an impossible task either.  I didn't had her photo, didn't know where she lived in Bangalore, didn't had her contact number but still I hoped to find her.

 

"Hello"? I answered my phone.

"Hello Sir, Anurag here.  What time would you be reaching Sir"?

"I would be reaching around 5pm Anurag.  If you have any work, just the leave the house keys in my cabin.  You don't have to wait for me'.

"I will be here till 6pm Sir".

"Ok Anurag, see you then and I want those list of colleges as well".

"Its ready Sir.  Not to worry".

 

 

Anurag is a sincere and capable employee.  I had never recognised his hard work but he always did his job without any complaints.  He is very good at his job and managed everything very well.

 

Anurag is in his late 20s, 5.9 feet tall, medium built, not very fair complexion, black eyes, black hair short and trimmed and always well dressed.  He is basically from Kerala.  He is not married but is into relationship from past 7 years.  The girl is from different caste which is creating a problem in both of their families.  She is also working in some bank.  Anurag is the only son to his parents and belonged to middle class family who had come to Bangalore to have a better life.

 

I had told Anurag everything about her and even he had tried every possible way to find her with no luck.  But now I would turn the luck in my favour and track her down. 

 

             

                     *****************

 

 

"Oh man this traffic is not going anywhere", I told to myself.

"Why are you getting so tensed? Just chill dude", she said.

"I have an important meeting at 3 in Chennai.  Its already 9:30 and we have not yet crossed the city.  You are asking me to chill at this point".

"See you can't do much about this traffic.  Instead of getting frustrated, just have a look outside.  Study others, try to figure out what's going on with them, enjoy this weather and.....".

"Oh will you please keep quite now.  You can't even imagine how important is this meeting for me".

"What will happen, at the worst you might have to bear some loss.  What's the big deal? You will still be having enough to survive.  Some have to struggle just to have one meal, you know that".

"Look I can't help that and I don't have enough time to think about all that.  Right now this meeting is very important to me and I just want to get out of this traffic right away".

 

She gave me a stare for a while and went back to listen to her music.

"You can still think about it.  Do you really want to come with me"?

"Of course.  I am not in a hurry".

"Hey wait a minute!!! How will you be coming back"?

"With you of course".

"Are you out of your mind.  I will be staying there tonight and no way you would be staying with me".

"Chill dude, don't worry.  I will take a train or bus back".

"Instead you better get off somewhere.  You can do something better instead of getting stuck here in traffic".

"If you want to get rid off me, its fine.  But I don't have anything much to do".

"As you wish.  What do you do"?

"I thought you will never be asking.  I am Neha doing my final year graduation in Commerce and you"?

"I am Sunil.  I run my electronic business".

"Hmm nice, you do look like a businessman in all this formals, blazer and all".

 

 

Finally the traffic was clearing.  We were almost out of the city when suddenly my car stopped.

"Oh damn, what now? Why this damn thing not starting now"?

"I guess water might have got into that".

"Damn, where will I find a garage now"?

"Lets leave the car here and find a mechanic.  There must be one, after all every corner has one or the other mechanic".

"Ok, lets go".

 

We started in search of a mechanic.  Rain had stopped finally.  We were walking for quite a while and finally we found one garage.

"Hey you, my car has broken down.  I need you to fix as soon as possible.  Don't worry about the money, just fix the damn thing", I said to the mechanic in a very irritated tone.

"They may be lower than you but that doesn't mean you own them.  This is not the way you speak to them", she whispered to me.

 

She then asked that man in a very polite manner to fix my car and he agreed to come with us to have a look.

 

"Water has got into it.  There is also some problem in engine.  Have to take it to the garage", the mechanic said.

"Ok but how long will it take"? I asked him.

"At least three hours Sir".

"What!!! Three hours. Can't you fix it right now"?

"I am a mechanic Sir not god".

"But......", before I could complete

"Ok you take the car to garage.  We will come back later.  Note down his number and give a call when the car is ready", Neha said and gave him my number.

"Now how I am going to reach Chennai.  Its already 10:40 now".

"Just chill dude, we will take a bus.  We can find so many on that highway.  Come on lets go".

"Bus.. are you serious? I have never travelled on bus".

"There is first time for everything.  Now come on.  He will take care of your car", she pulled me to make me move.

"Wait, I would better call my assistant.  He can arrange something".

 

 

I started to dial his number but Neha took away my phone.

"What are you doing girl? Give me back my phone", I almost yelled at her.

"See you would never get such a chance again.  Just enjoy this moment.  Feel like a common man and come with me.  I promise you won't regret".

"But I don't think we will be able to reach on time".

"Don't worry. You will be fine.  I will show you the essence of life.  Now come on dude".

"You are not understanding.  This is not a joke.  You are just a college kid.  Once you are out, you will realise the true meaning of struggle".

"Are you sure you will be alive to see tomorrow.  Nothing is permanent.  Just live life to fullest man.  I promise you, you will never forget this day.  Mark my words".

 

 

                     ***************

 

 

 

 

 

Lost in my thoughts I was about to hit a tree now.  She was right about enjoying the life to fullest.  Who knows what's in store for us.  Her simple words had a deep meaning within.  The way she used to talk, it was hard to believe she was only 20 years old.

 

I was around 14 years elder to her but still didn't know the exact meaning of life.  That one day spent with her taught me the essence of life.

"Hello"? I answered my call.

"Hey, how far to go"? asked Sapna.

"Another two or three hours".

"You didn't stop anywhere to revive"?

"Well I didn't feel like.  The road was awesome to drive".

"But still Sunil, you must give breaks.  Stop for a while and then start".

"Ok ok, I will stop at some dhaba or small hotel to eat something".

"Good, do stop ok.  Don't stress yourself".

"Sure, you take care.  I will call you once I am there".

 

                     *************

 

I don't know how she managed to convince me but I was with her waiting for a bus.  I had never travelled in a bus that too like this where there was no clue whether we will find one or not.

"Look over there, some bus is coming.  Lets wave our hand", she said.

"That looks like yuck......" I said.

 

The bus stopped for us.  She asked if it goes to Chennai for which he said it goes only till Vellore and we have to take another bus from there.

"There is no way I am going in this bus", I said to her.

"Do you have any better option? Now stop this drama and get into the bus", she said and pulled me to come with her.

 

The bus was packed to full.  There were people everywhere, inside, near the driver and top of the bus.  I had never seen so many people in a bus in my entire life.  With great difficulty the conductor arranged two seats for us as Neha requested him seeing my plight.

 

 

"Oh my god, what a bus.  Its so congested", I said.

"Why do you have problem with everything"? she asked me.

"Don't you think its way too congested"? I asked her.

"It is but why do you have to blabber about it now.  You managed to get the seat, that's a big deal now".

"Ya ya.  I still don't understand why are you with me or why I am with you"?

"May be we were destined to meet".

"Ha, I don't believe in such things".

"But still you are in one such situation now".

"Ya damn, don't believe this.  But you created this situation.  Why is that"?

"What to do, I have fallen for you", she winked at me.

"What!! Hello, I am engaged".

"See how soon you came to conclusion.  Don't be judgemental and hey I was only kidding.  You are way too old for me".

"I know that, you are only a kid".

"Stop calling me kid every now and then ok.  I have more knowledge than you".

 

 

But somehow that bus journey was not as bad as I had thought.  She was talking non stop and slowly I started to enjoy her company.

"What do your parents do"? I asked her.

"They run orphanages and old age homes".

"Oh nice.  Very good deed though".

"Yes, what about your parents"?

"Well I lost my mom when I was 5 and my dad died in an accident 10 years back.  After that I took over his business".

"Oh that's bad.  So you don't have any brothers or sisters or other family"?

"No I don't have any siblings.  My other family members had left me alone after my dad's death thinking I might depend on them financially.  Now I don't need them.  I have worked hard enough to earn what I am today".

"But don't you feel like having a family or......".

"I was busy setting up my business.  Never felt like having anyone.  More over I have my fiancee and her family now".

"Wow that's good.  When are you planning to get married"?

"Don't know, not yet thought about it.  There is still so much to achieve before I settle down".

 

 

The bus had stopped for a tea break.

"Why aren't you satisfied with what you have"? she asked me.

"But what's wrong in having more"?

"There is nothing wrong in having more.  But how much do you contribute towards the society"?

"What do you mean? I pay all my taxes".

"That's your duty.  But have you ever helped anyone in need or at least fed anyone in hunger.  Have you helped any blind to cross the road, you know, some petty things".

"Well I have always helped those who have asked for any favour".

"That means you have always waited for someone to ask.  You yourself have never realised it".

"Well how can one know if they don't talk about".

"Let alone others, do you know your own staff.  Have you ever listened to their concerns.  Have you ever had a friendly chat with them.  I guess no because the way you spoke to that mechanic made it quite evident about you as an individual".

                           ***********

 

I started from the hotel after having some snacks as the lunch time had already passed and it was 3:30pm.  I would be reaching Bangalore in another hour and a half from where I would be starting my search for Neha.

 

She was right, I had never helped anyone until someone had come to me in seek of any help.  I had never shared a friendly relationship with my staff.  I always considered them as subordinates working for me.  I never tried to understand their problems.  I had never stopped by to help some blind or an old age person cross the road.  When there were people begging near my car at any traffic signal, I never cared to open my car window and offer some help to them.  Let alone help I never cared to have a look at them.

 

These were some petty things we don't think about but when someone makes you realise these things, it affects you deeply.  It makes you think for a while what you are as an individual, which forced me to think that day.

                    

                     ************

 

To add more to my day, the bus's tyre punctured and our bus stopped just few kilometres away from Vellore.  "Looks like everything has to happen on one day.  What next now"? I asked Neha.

"Its just about 2kms from here.  Lets walk.  There is no point in waiting".

"I guess so.  Lets do this also".

"As I promised you, this will be a memorable day for you".

"With so many things happening, how could one forget this day".

"You are complaining again"?

"There is no point in complaining now.  I don't think I would be able to bag that deal".

"Memories are far more precious than any deal Mr Sunil".

"You can say that as you are still in college".

"The way you are I don't think you were carefree during your college days".

"I had lot of responsibility.  There was no time for these things".

"We should always make time for what we like doing about.  Live like there is no tomorrow.  Responsibilities can always be taken care of".

 

 

With all that talking we reached Vellore.  She insisted if we could go inside the golden temple.  It was already 12:45pm and I had realised there was no point in hurrying.  I called my team in Chennai and asked them to check if the meeting could be postponed.  I agreed to go with her to the temple.

 

Vellore golden temple was a spiritual park situated at the foot of a small range of green hills in a place known as Malaikodi.  The name golden temple itself says that the temple was made with gold covering.  Every single detail was manually created.  The salient feature was the Lakshmi Narayani Temple or Mahalakshmi temple.

 

I had always heard about this temple but never been though I had travelled this route several times.  Sapna always insisted to go here but due to my busy schedule it never really happened.  But now I was here in some unimaginable situation with a girl about whom I don't have any clue at all.  God knows when and how to call us to him.

 

 

"Wow!! What a beautiful place.  Have you ever been here"? asked Neha.

"No this is my first time". I said.

"What!! You are I guess about 33 or 34 years and in these many years, you have not at all been to this temple even once"!!!

"What's so odd in it? Never had such occasion.  Even for you its a first time".

"With me its different.  But you had all the privilege.  Anyways, come on lets go inside".

"Make it bit fast.  I have to reach Chennai also".

"Ok ok, but don't you think its bit too late now".

"Ya I know but I have postponed for an hour.  So I still have chance".

"Hmm, but first enjoy this moment here.  Its so divine.  Don't you feel relaxed here".

"It sure does and I am grateful for you that you got me here".

"Anytime dude.  Wow everything is so beautiful here.  Hey we will have the prasadam and go ok".

"But I don't have enough time for that".

"Then make time, I am super hungry you see.  Can't wait any longer now".

 

 

We stood in a line for prasadam.  All this was a whole new experience for me.  She was showing me a world which I never thought existed.

"Yum, isn't it wonderful"? she asked.

"Sorry I didn't realise you were hungry".

"Its ok dude.  No complaints now though.  The food is so delicious".

"You know you are one typical character.  With all your cool type looks I thought you are one spoilt, careless brat but you are so different Neha".

"Wow thanks if that was a compliment.  Well you are also not that bad as you pretend to look like".

"Oh really, thanks for that.  Shall I ask you something"?

"Go on, you can ask me anything".

"Why have you kept your hair so short? I mean normally girls love long hair right"?

"Ho ho, how many girls you know Mr? Anyways I like looking different from others.  You just now said that I am one typical character", she winked at me.

 

                     **************

 

I reached Bangalore as per my plan around 5:15pm.  Anurag was waiting for me with the keys at my office.

"Here are your keys and this is the list of colleges you had asked for Sir", says Anurag.

"Thank you Anurag.  I really appreciate it.  You can now leave".

 

I call Sapna to inform about my safe arrival.

"Hello Sapna"?

"Did you reach"? she asks me.

"Yes just now.  Going home now.  Will start from there tomorrow".

"Hmm, all the best Sunil.  Hope you find her".

 

Yes, I needed those best wishes very badly.  I was trying to find someone only with a hope in my heart.  I had always been adamant on things I wanted.  This was one such thing.  I wanted her at any cost, either by hook or by crook.  I was not going to let go this time.  She had to be with me while going back from here.  Bangalore is not at all a new place for me and I was sure about finding her.

 

                     **************

 

We finished our prasadam. We had god darshan and then proceeded towards the bus stand from where we had to catch the bus for Chennai.

"It was very nice.  Thanks", she thanked me.

"Why are you thanking me"? I asked her surprisingly.

"To bringing me here.  I am so grateful to you".

"Well I didn't get you, we came by chance you see".

"Hmm but still, you were the reason for it.  Had I not met you today, then I might have never come here".

"Well, which college you study"?

"Looks like someone wants to know everything about me huh"?

"Nothing like that.  Just keeping on with the conversation you see".

"Then lets talk something about you".

"Like"?

"Hmm, what are your hobbies"?

"Well, good question.  No one ever asked me this in a long time now".

"Now don't say you don't have any hobbies dude".

 

 

I decided to hire a car from Vellore as the bus would take a long time for us to reach there.

"Luckily found this car.  I had to urge him to let me drive by paying more.  Thank goodness for that", I said after hiring a car.

"Why do you want to attend this meeting so badly"? she asked me.

"Because I have been trying for this deal from quite a long time now.  Finally they are ready to meet me".

"Do you know something, the more we urge for something, the more we get disappointed.  Just let it go and do your work, if you are destined to get then no matter what you will get it".

"But I don't like giving up.  I will try and try until I win".

"Are you in a race with someone here.  Why do you want to win, what or to whom do you want to prove anything"?

"It gives me pleasure.  I feel happy".

"Without enjoying life's best moments with your loved ones, what's the use even if you win an entire empire.  You can always earn money but you can never get those special moments back".

 

It again started raining but not heavily though.

"How did you meet your fiancee"? she asked me.

"She is an interior decorator.  We met during one of her workshop event where I was the guest".

"Was it love at first sight"?

"What!! No, I mean I liked her work.  She is really good at her job.  So I gave her contract for one part of my office which I wanted to renovate".

"So you started to meet daily, spend more time with each other and finally you were in love right"?

"Not exactly.  We started to meet daily of course but our conversations always included only work related matters.  She was seeing someone at that time".

"Oh, then how did it clicked between you"?

"For few days she took off from work.  I mean her workers were there but she was not coming to check the work".

"And.......".

"You want to know all the details, don't you"?

"Only if you want to".

 

 

I then started to tell her about my love story.  Sapna had took off from work for few days.  I gave her a call to check if everything was fine.  She didn't answer my calls.  So I directly went to her house to check with her.  She was in a terrible state.  Her eyes were all red and swollen.  It seemed like she was crying for a long time.  I then asked her about the matter.  She initially tried to brush off but when insisted she opened up.  She said how her boyfriend had ditched her to get married to someone from the States so that he could settle overseas.  She was seeing him for about an year and also been physical with him.  She cried and cried hugging me.  I consoled her saying not to worry and there is no point in crying for someone like him.  It was the first time I had ever talked to any girl like that.  She was shocked to hear that I never had any relationships.  I was so involved with my work and business I never really found time for emotional bonding.  We then regularly started to see each other and I started enjoying her company.  Then after about 2 years I finally proposed her.

                           ***************

 

"Yes Sapna, I am on my way to check with the colleges", I answered on phone.

"Ok but there are so many colleges in Bangalore Sunil".

"I know but there is no other way.  I don't want to leave any stone unturned".

"Ok, keep me updated".

"Sure sure".

 

I still remember the day when I had proposed Sapna.  She was so happy and excited.  She is a very easy person to talk to.  She always gave me my space.  But still I have hurt her so many times.  I never understood her at times but she was always there for me.  The first time we made love I was totally lost in her.  She is every man's dream but I am the lucky one to have her.  If not for that day I would have lost Sapna.

 

Now I was on my way to first college in Bangalore hoping for some luck.  I didn't even know her family name.  This would be the biggest challenge for me. 

 

                      ************

 

"Wow, amazing but bit of boring love story", said Neha once I had done with my story.

"Boring, what's so boring in that"?

"Well, not very romantic.  Do you go on regular candle light dinners or celebrate your love anniversary or something of that sort"?

"I don't have time for all these things you see.  We do go out on dinners.  In fact today is our third anniversary".

"What!!! Are you serious"? she jumped from the seat.

"Hey cool, this day comes every year.  What if we celebrate after two days or so.  This meeting was very important to me as well".

"Dude, if I were your girlfriend, believe me I would have left you by now.  I mean I understand work is important but what's the use of earning so much when you don't have time for the one you love".

"These all look good in movies.  Actual life is totally different.  You are living in a dream world".

"May be but you are a big dreamer than I am.  You want to attend some meeting you are not even sure of being successful.  Just think, is it worth breaking someone's heart"?

 

These words from her changed something in me.  She was right.  Was it worth it.  It was 3pm and still there was long to go.

"Hello, am I talking to Mr. Vasu"? I asked on phone pulling my car to one side.

"Yes Sir, what time you will be reaching"?

"See I don't think I would be able to make it.  So just cancel the meeting and fix it some other day".

"But Sir, if cancelled today then it would take a long time to get another appointment".

"I know but I can't make it today.  Just cancel the appointment".

"Are you sure Sir"?

"Yes Mr. Vasu, please do it".

 

Neha was shocked to see me cancelling my important meeting for which I had took all this pain.  Being few hours with her I was slowly starting to realise the real meaning of life.  One project gone would not have made much difference.  I should have realised it much earlier but better late than never.  So I decided the rest of the day to spend with Neha to see the world through her eyes.

 

 

"I don't believe this!! You cancelled your meeting", she was asking me.

"Yes, there is no way I could make it on time".

"So what next now"?

"First we will go back and return this car.  From there we will take a bus back to Bangalore and collect my car from the mechanic".

"You in bus again, are you sure"?

"Yes I am sure.  Half of the day gone, lets spend the next half in your way.  To the fullest...."

"Dude, you are amazing.  I don't believe I was able to change your mindset".

"So, will you show me the real world then"?

"Of course dude.  I will show you how to live life to the fullest, to live like there is no tomorrow".

 

We then went back and returned the car at Vellore.  From there we went towards the bus stand and waited for the bus to Bangalore.  I was enjoying this trip now.  Letting out all my frustration I decided to live like there is no tomorrow and that too with someone like Neha, there was no doubt it would be fun.

 

"So did you call your fiancee"? she asked me waiting at the bus stop.

"No, why are you asking"?

"Call her and ask for sorry".

"But its too late now and....."

"Better late than never, have you not heard about it.  I am sure she would forget everything and will be very happy".

"How do you know that"?

"Because I am also a girl and one sorry from a boyfriend makes all the difference".

"Oh, that means you too have someone".

"Well that I will tell you later.  But for now call her".

"Ok, if you insist".

I called Sapna.  She was shocked to hear me.  Before I could apologise she started to say sorry about her behaviour and she said she should have understood it was important to me.  For the first time I felt disgusted about myself.  I then cut her in between and apologised to her.  As Neha said, she was very happy and also shocked because I had never apologised to her or anyone.

                    

                     ***************

 

"What's the name"? the office clerk in the college asked me after convincing him for a while.

"Its Neha".

"Neha what, what's the surname"? he asked me again.

"Sorry I don't know her surname".

"What Sir, there will be so many Nehas.  You don't know her surname.  At least do you know which branch she is in"?

"I think Commerce.  Search in final year Commerce".

"Ok give me a second please".

He started to search in his register.  This was the 10th college I was searching and there was no luck yet.  Everywhere they used to ask the same question, "what's the surname"? For the first time in my life I realised how important is someone's surname.  I had only given them information about her branch Commerce, her first name and that her parents run some orphanage and old age homes.  Here also he didn't find any Neha.  I had to go empty handed from here also.

                    

                  ***************

 

"You were right, Sapna was very happy". I said to Neha.

"See I told you.  Not only this you have to arrange something special for her once you reach Bangalore".

"Like what.  I am not very good at these things".

"Hmm, I don't know what she saw in you to fall in love with you.  You are not at all romantic".

"Oh please, I don't know to express but I do love her".

"Then just think everyday like you will be meeting her for the last time.  What all would you do".

"But why would I be meeting for the last time".

"Because if you stay the same, then one or the other day she is definitely going to leave you.  Every girl has some dreams.  She loves you, supports you in every aspect and in return asks only for your love and time.  Is that too much..  There is nothing wrong in expressing your love.  Just express and see how she will glow.  Trust me, your boring life could turn into interesting one".

 

 

We then got into bus to Bangalore.

"Ok now enough about me.  Tell something about you now", I asked her.

"What you want to know, about my love life"?

"Ya if you want to".

"Well I have never been in any serious relationship though I had few boyfriends.  I just recently broke up with one guy".

"Oh, may I know the reason.  You don't have to answer if its too personal".

"Don't be so formal dude.  Well he had many expectations which I knew I wouldn't be able to fulfil".

"Like..."

"Like he wanted to get married, have kids and blah blah....".

"And you didn't wanted that"?

"Dude, who knows what happens next.  We are not sure about next moment then how can we plan long term commitments.  Like for example, did you know that you will be cancelling your important meeting and will be stuck with a girl who is a total stranger to you? No right, then how could I have promised him all those things".

 

 

She was right, too much expectations from life was also not good.  We plan something but life has some other plans for us.

"How many girls did you date before your fiancee"? she asked me.

"None".

"What!! But why, I mean you are not bad by your looks.  Oh may be because of your attitude I guess".

"Nothing like that.  There were few girls crazy about me during my college days but I was not interested".

"Hmm, shall I ask something personal now"?

"What's that"?

"You didn't make out with any girl before your fiancee"?

"Well to be honest, I had been physical with one girl in college.  That's it.  After that it was only with Sapna".

"Hmm, was she from your college"?

"Yes, she was from my class itself and she was trying with me for a long time.  That day also it would have not been happened if I had not been drunk".

"Oh, you lost your senses.  Share the details please, I will not tell to anyone".

 

I knew Neha wouldn't let it go unless I told her everything.  So I told her about my first ever physical relationship.  She was from my class and she had a huge crush on me.  I knew that.  She was very beautiful and had many guys go crazy for her.  I liked her but not in other way.  That day was our send off party as we were in our final year.  We all were having a blast.  I usually don't drink much but that day all my friends forced me for drinks and I drank like a fish.  She asked me for a dance.  After sometime I was feeling uneasy so she took me to her place.  She used to rent an apartment.  I was lying on a couch.  She came next to me and held my hands.  She then slowly kissed me on my cheeks.  First I tried to push her but then she again came close to me.  She then kissed me on my lips.  She took my hands and put it around her waist.  She put her arms around me.  That's it, there was no stopping after that.  We had sex.  But the next morning I made it clear to her that it was only a mistake.  She said not to worry and it was only fun.  She had only crush on me and nothing serious.

 

                     **************

 

"I have covered almost 25 colleges now.  Still no luck", I was telling to Sapna on phone.

"Don't stress too much Sunil.  Go home and take some rest.  You can start again tomorrow".

"Ya you are right.  It's 6pm now and anyhow all colleges will be closed".

"You will find her Sunil.  Don't worry".

"Thanks Sapna and thanks for letting me do this.  No one could have understood better than you.  I love you, take care".

"Love you too Sunil".

 

First day had gone without any luck.  I was bit frustrated but it was not time to get frustrated.  Sapna had given me full support.  After all every girl wants her better half to be on her side with wedding shopping but here I had left her alone to take care of everything.  She is a gem of person.

 

I came back home.  I prepared myself some dinner and then after watching television for sometime I went to sleep to start all over again tomorrow. 

      

                     ***********

 

"Wow, interesting man.  If she was so beautiful why didn't you wanted to have any relationship with her"? Neha asked me after I finished telling her all that.

"Well, I never got such feelings for her.  More over she was not my type".

"And what's your type? May be someone who will always talk to you about work related or business deals right"?

"Please, I am not that boring also.  At least not in college".

"Hmm, you know the guy with whom I recently broke up, was one of the best guy I had ever met.  He loved me deeply and I felt very bad to break up with him".

"You could have explained your situation to him".

"My situation, then there would have been another problem", she almost said to herself..

"Sorry come again",  I didn't hear her properly.

"Nothing, god I want to go to toilet.  When will this driver stop man".

"Oh should I ask him to stop".

"No its ok, he may stop anytime now".

 

 

As soon as she said the bus halted for sometime.

"Wow, I feel so relaxed now", she said as if she had won something.

"Can make out by the look on your face".

"Don't you want to go to toilet"? she asked me.

"No I am fine".

"I know, you have the habit of going to only neat and clean toilets but dude learn to adjust yourself to any situation.  Life becomes easier".

"But seriously I don't feel like going".

"Ok as you wish but hey come on lets have a coffee".

"Here, in this stall"?

"Again making faces.  You said you want to see the real life right.  Now come on this is the real life.  You wouldn't have had better coffee than this".

"You sure"?

"Absolutely.  All your five star coffees are nothing in front of this.  I bet you will love it.  Now come on dude".

"Ok lets see this also.  After all who can win you in these arguments".

"Very funny.  Now come", and she drags me to go with her.

 

She was right.  That coffee tasted very nice.  Something like a real coffee.  She also taught me the art of having the coffee.

"See hold like this and now pour the coffee onto the saucer", she was guiding me to drink a coffee in a full local manner.

"Ok, like this"?

"Yes, now drink from the saucer like this, slurp...", she made sound almost audible to most of the people around.  But when I turn around almost everyone were drinking the same way.

"Wow, this does taste good.  How do you know all these things"?

"Well I travel a lot you see.  These are all petty things but life's most fun moments lies in these petty things dude".

"You are right.  Everyone should  learn from you to lead a life.  Wish all could get a fate like you".

"Like me? No dude, no one should get a fate like me".

"What do you mean"?

"I mean drink your coffee fast because the bus will be leaving anytime now".

"Oh yes, slurp..........".

 

We then got back into the bus.

"Dude, don't you have any special quality in you.  I mean everyone has one or the other thing.  Like me, I love talking to strangers and making new friends", she asked me.

"Well I was a great artist.  I used to do sketches of people".

"What do you mean by was, don't you do now"?

"Now, well after dad's death I got so involved with business, I don't really remember when was the last time I sketched something".

"Then no problem, I will give you a chance.  Sketch my picture".

"Neha we are in a bus now.  And I don't think I have it in me anymore".

"Talents never get lost anywhere Mr.  I am sure you can still sketch.  Even a moving bus can't stop you.  Now come on".

"I don't have paper or pencil or........".

"Excuses and excuses.  Here have this paper and pencil.  My bag always contains all these things.  You know I will not let it go".

"You are impossible.  Ok, I will try but don't laugh if its not good".

 

                     ***************

 

I suddenly get up in the middle of night and remember about the sketch.  How could I have been so stupid.  Its true I didn't had her photo but how foolish of me to forget that I could actually sketch her picture.  I remember exactly how she looked like.

 

I get up and take a sheet of paper and pencil and start to sketch her picture.  I try to sketch her exactly the way she looked like the other day.  Short hair covered with scarf, ear phones hanging from ears, pointed nose, oval shaped eyes and small lips.  Yes I remember each and every feature of hers.  I don't believe I forgot about my own talent.

 

After trying out for few times, about two hours later, I was ready with her sketch.  I was happy with my work.  She looked exactly the same.  Now with this sketch of hers, it would get bit easier with her search.  I didn't had her full name but now I had her sketch with me.  Whole new search for her tomorrow and this time I was sure I would find her. 

 

                     ***************

 

"Wow!! I didn't know I look so beautiful", she said looking at her sketch I drew for her.

"You like it"?

"Of course I like it.  Thank you so much.  You have an amazing talent and you were having second thoughts about it".

"I didn't know either.  I think its been 10 years or more I sketched something".

"You should always take time to do something you enjoy about.  Don't you love sketching".

"I do, it gives me immense pleasure.  I will make sure I will do it often now".

"What else you enjoy"?

"Hmm, not sure of anything else".

"Have you ever tried eating an ice cream getting wet in rain".

"What!! No, never.  What's so fun about it.  You can fall sick like that".

"Oh you should try that.  Why fear of getting sick.  You can fall sick without doing anything like that".

"But still.....".

"Your ifs and buts never end.  Once we get down if its raining, I will show you the enjoyment of eating ice cream while getting wet".

 

We soon reached Bangalore.  We got down at the highway to collect my car.  We had walked for some distance and as she wanted it started to rain.

"Hoo hoo, thank you rain god", she said.

"Oh no, come fast".

"What fast, don't you like getting wet.  Its so awesome.  Just forget about all the consequences and enjoy this rain dude".

"Ok, lets have an ice cream as well then".

"Wow, you are improving Mr.  Look over there, there is a shop.  Come on".

 

We bought an ice cream and then she started to teach me how to enjoy an ice cream in this wet weather.

 

"Now come on, lets eat before the rain stops".

"Ok ok, so how do you do that".

"Just start to eat ice cream when its raining.  The fresh water mixes with the ice cream giving it a beautiful essence.  Just have a feel and become a kid all over again.  You will love it".

"Ok let me try and see".

 

 

I was doing some crazy things with her but frankly speaking I was enjoying each and every moment with her.  I never knew life could be so much fun with these petty things.  She taught me life's best moments lied in these small things.

 

We then went to collect my car.

 

"Will you do something if I ask you"? she asked me before we could reach the garage.

"What"?

"Just appreciate the mechanic for his work and also apologize to him for your rude behaviour in the morning".

"Thanking is ok but morning I was bit upset".

"But now you are alright.  You see it right or not I am not sure.  But for me all are equal.  We should never degrade people lower than us or working under us.  They may be doing some petty jobs but just think if they don't do these petty jobs how would rich people like you survive.  If the chef don't cook for you, what will you eat.  You should always appreciate for others hard work".

 

 

She was teaching me some deep meanings of life.  These are the simple things we used to learn as kids in school that all are equal.  No one is superior.  But honestly speaking how many of us actually inculcate this attitude. Its human tendency to forget.  In this race of life, we so easily forget the actual meaning of being a human.

"Good evening Sir, your car is ready.  I tried calling you Sir but your phone was not reachable", the mechanic says as soon as we reach.

"Oh, thank you so much for your help.  I am also very sorry for my behaviour in the morning", I say to him.

"Its ok Sir.  We are used to such things.  But very few like you apologise.  Not to worry about it Sir", he says and feels very happy that I apologised to him.

 

That happiness which I saw on his face gave some contentment to me at which point I realised, our happiness always lies when we are the reason behind someone's happiness.

 

                     ****************

 

"Yes Sapna, I should have realised it much earlier", I was talking to Sapna over phone and telling her about my sketch.

"Its good that you have her picture now.  It will be a great help".

"Yes I know.  I will first cover up other colleges.  If no luck then I will again go back to the ones which I had covered yesterday".

"That's a good idea.  But do have your regular breakfast and lunches in between.  Just don't skip everything".

"Of course, I am in fact having my breakfast now.  How's everything there"?

"All good.  Dad had called last night.  They will be coming at the end of this week".

"Oh, did he ask about me"?

"Yes he did, but don't worry I said you are out on some business work and will be back soon".

"Thanks Sapna, I owe you a lot for all this".

"When this formality came between us.  I know how important she is to you and for me as well.  Its because for her I have my caring Sunil today.  Love you, bye".

 

                     ***************

 

 

The car was perfectly back to shape.  By the time we collected the car from him it was 5pm.

 

"Here Mam, we have a car now.  What next"? I asked her.

"You apologised to him only because I asked you or you really felt like", she asked me.

"Well both.  You asked after which I realised.  You are one amazing person Neha".

"Hmm, then will you do everything I would ask for this one day, or say for another few hours"?

"What else you want me to do"?

"I want to eat chats but not in any hotel".

"Then"?????? I knew where this was going.

"Roadside, it tastes better than in hotel".

"Ya I am sure, same like that coffee right"?

"Please, see we have only few more hours together and I want to make this memorable".

"Ok ok, lets go".

 

We then moved from there in search of some roadside chats for Neha.  There was no point in turning her down.  What all she meant was indeed true and so I thought of trying this out as well.

 

 

"Isn't it delicious"? she asked me having her panipuri.  She was having like she didn't had anything to eat from past few days.

"Ya it is", I said having mine.

"Be honest, do you like it or not"?

"Really I am enjoying it.  Its very tasty", I was really enjoying that.  It was indeed very delicious but I couldn't ignore the cleanliness though.

"See I told you, and please don't bother about cleanliness.  I am sure you won't fall sick".

"Hopefully.  You can have more if you want".

"Of course, I am going to have more", and she tells the man to serve her until she says to stop.

 

Neha had a great appetite I must say.  Looking at her I was not sure where she belonged to.  In the upper class or middle class.  The way she dressed showed her to be some rich dad's spoilt brat but the way she behaved proved her to be very down to earth person.  I was still confused but somewhere I was glad that I met her today and because of her I was seeing and experiencing all this.  I had no regret of cancelling my meeting.

 

 

"What!! Are you sure but how did this happen"? I was asking Mr Vasu over my phone.

"Yes Sir. I explained them about your situation and they themselves agreed to have a meeting in Bangalore day after tomorrow Sir".

"Well that's a great news Mr Vasu, and thanks for handling the situation".

 

Mr Vasu had called to inform about the meeting I had cancelled.  Mr Vasu had presented them with brief knowledge about our proposal and they were happy about it.  So now they wanted to have a personal meeting with me that too here in Bangalore.

 

I didn't believe that all this while I was crazily working out hard to have a contract with them, it came just like that when I had lost all hopes about it.  Neha was true, the more we long for something, the more we get disappointed.  We should only do what we can and if we are destined to get that, then no matter what it will eventually come to us.  As she said, focus on work, success will automatically follow you.  My hard work had payed off.

 

 

"That's wonderful news, you owe me a treat now", she said after I shared about the meeting news.

"Of course.  Anything you ask for".

"Wow, I am so happy for you.  See I told you if you are destined to get it, then no one can stop it".

"Yes, you were right.  The moment I forgot all about that I get the news from them.  Its so amazing.  I am feeling at the top of the world now.  So tell me how shall we celebrate this".

"Lets go to lakeside in Sankey tank.  It will not be crowded also at this time".

"Its already 6pm, aren't you getting late"?

"My deadline is 7pm and even if I am late no issues.  I am special you see".

"But what will you tell your parents.  I know they are out of town but what if they call you at home to check".

"Don't worry dude.  I know to handle all these situations.  First lets go instead of wasting time here.  And hey lets get some drinks on the way.  No celebration is complete without drinks you see", she winks at me.

 

                     **************

 

It was noon time.  From morning I had covered about 10 colleges but still there was no luck.  I still had many to go but somewhere I was getting disappointed.  It seems as if no one knows Neha.  Now sitting in this 11th college, I was wondering if at all something clicks here.

"Yes Sir, what did you say the name is"? asks the office clerk.

"Its Neha, final year Commerce department".

"Hmm, let me check.  Neha, neha, neha...." and he goes on with his search.

"There is no Neha in the final year Sir.  But we had one Neha last year who suddenly dropped out this year by choice".

"Dropped out!! Which department was she in"?

"Same, commerce Sir.  Its Neha K.  She just took TC at the beginning of this year without giving any proper reason".

"Did she look like this"? I asked him showing him Neha's picture.

"Hmm, oh yes she is the one.  Very bright student though.  She had highest scores last year".

 

                  ***************

 

As per Neha's wish we reached Sankey tank.  Since it was a week day and had been raining whole day, there was no much crowd.

 

"This place will close soon now", I told her looking at the timings near the entrance.

"We still have one full hour dude.  So come on".

"Its nice here.  Lets sit here".

"No, this is so much close to the entrance.  Lets go bit further".

"Ok.......".

"Here, its nice and calm here.  Come on, lets sit here".

"I still insist you give a call to your parents to inform them.  They would get worried".

"Chill dude, I will handle them".

"Are you allowed to drink"?

"I am over 18 years and its legal to drink at this age".

"But how will you explain your parents"?

"Don't worry, as I said I am special.  So no rules apply for me".

"But don't drink too much so that you lose your senses".

 

 

Sankey tank is one of the major lakes in Bangalore.  This artificial lake is surrounded by beautiful garden.  The most exciting thing about this lake is that during winter the lake is converted into the nesting grounds of migratory birds.  Its a perfect place to enjoy a walk as the cool breeze always blows over the place.

 

The main attractions of this tank are it includes swimming pool and forest department nursery.  There is also boat rides in the water of the tank.

 

We both sat without talking to each other for sometime and were enjoying the scenic place.  The last time I had been here was with Sapna on our first date as she insisted to visit this place.

 

We both were mesmerized in the beauty of this place.  With very less crowd and a cool weather it was a perfect time to enjoy this place.  I don't remember when was the last time I was so relaxed and contended in my life.

 

 

"What are you thinking"? I asked Neha who was sitting quite for a while now.

"Nothing, just wondering about god's creation and feeling bad for those who don't get to see this".

"Everything and everyone can't be perfect you see".

"True, they say all this depends on our karma".

"Yes it does. But why are you thinking about all this now".

"Just wondering if I have done enough of good karma".

"You are one nice hearted person I have ever met.  You always think about others.  Don't you think its your good karma".

"Don't know, but.......... Anyways, sorry.  Sometimes I get bit emotional.  My friends say it doesn't suit me".

"They are right.  You look good when you are smiling.  Don't ever let that smile fade away from your face".

"Ok, then lets start celebrating now.  I so badly want those drinks".

"You better watch out.  I am not going to let you get drunk, ok"?

 

 

We both started off with our drinks.  Neha was a crazy drinker.  But I didn't allow her to have much as she had to return to her place in proper condition.

"Who are you"? I asked her.

"After spending one full day with me you are asking who I am"?

" I mean, you are a total stranger to me.  You suddenly jump into my car from nowhere.  I then comeback to you to offer a lift.  Some funny situations take place.  You show me the real life.  I am not complaining but just wondering how all this happened".

"Don't think too much dude.  Just consider me as your long lost friend.  After sometime I will be gone and you will also get going with your life".

"But I would never forget this day.  My life will not be the same anymore now".

"Are you happy with this change".

"Very much.  I have never been so crazy in my entire life.  There is a reason for it you see".

"You can share anything with me dude.  Consider me as your secret treasurer".

 

                     **************

 

I just couldn't believe what I was hearing.  I had finally found her!!! Is this man really talking about same Neha.  Why did she drop out.  So many questions were arising. I had asked for more details from him for which he said I had to take permission from the principal.  They just can't disclose about someone like that.  And for my luck, the principal was on leave and would be returning only after two days.  I was not in a position to wait any longer now.  She was so close to me yet so far.  I decided to ask from her friends.

 

Lunch time had crossed and classes had already commenced.  So the only option for me was to wait till the classes finish.  If Neha had discontinued then why didn't she tell me.  Why did she lie to me.  I accept I was a total stranger to her but then we had shared some good moments together.  I also had shared some secrets with her.  Didn't she believe me.  All that I wanted to know now was why did she lie to me?

 

                      ****************

 

 

"Ok, where shall I start from.  I have never talked about these things to anyone.  Not even to Sapna", I say to her.

"Sometimes everything can't be shared with your partner.  That's when friends come you see".

"Friends, I don't remember if I have one".

"You don't have any friends!! Seriously"?

"Well not someone with whom I can share my feelings.  Most of them are with me because of my status".

"Then you can consider me as your best buddy for today".

"Only today"?

"I don't believe in attachments you see.  If we are destined to meet again, we will meet".

"Then how do you find friends.  This way each day you will be having a new friend".

"That's me.  I like making new friends but I don't believe in bonding with them.  Everyday new faces and believe me some days I find old faces as well".

"And in college, don't you have friends there or not"?

"Well no one very close though".

 

 

She tells me that she has no close relationship with any of her friends.  But she will always be there if they need her.  She doesn't keep any contact with anyone but all are her friends.  She doesn't like sharing all the matters but yes she likes listening to others.

 

"So what do you do when you feel very lonely or depressed at times"? I ask her.

"That happens very rarely with me but if I feel low, then I just start reading a book or get away somewhere to explore something, or make new friends".

"Hmm, quite interesting.  Is there no one you share your thoughts or talk to"?

"There is , I talk to myself.  They say no friend is better than you yourself.  I am my best friend.  I get immense relief when I talk to myself".

"How is that possible"?

"It is dude.  You have to talk to yourself at times.  You will be amazed to meet yourself.  You will find out what are you as an individual.  And you also should laugh daily.  There is a saying, the most wasted day of all is the one when you have not laughed".

 

She had some great knowledge.  With her I was getting to learn so many things.  I had never met anyone like her till date.  Her knowledge was par beyond her age.

 

"You are amazing Neha", I say to her.

"That I am", she giggles.

"So what is your biggest dream in your life"?

"I want to travel the whole world but I know its not possible".

"Why is it not possible.  Once you have finished your studies, you can take up some travel related course and achieve your dream".

"Ya ya, but you know what the problem is, I don't have enough patience to wait till then you see".

"You are only 20 Neha, you have an entire life ahead you...."

"Entire life....ya let's see where this life takes me".

"You have had enough.  No more drinks now".

"But dude, I want to, please....".

"I said no".

"Ok, hey you were to share something with me, now come on tell me".

 

 

I started to tell her about my childhood.  After I lost my mom, my childhood was very lonely.  My dad always used to be away because of his business.  I used to be with maternal grandparents most of the time.  I used to miss my dad a lot.  I was bought up in a way where more importance was given to money.  My dad never used to miss a single business meeting for any occasion.  Growing up in this environment I started to believe that nothing is more important than money.  I was allowed to play only with the kids of high society but they were never interested in playing.  With each passing year I started to keep away from everyone.  I didn't like making friends because I knew at one point they would leave me.  Before I could realise my dad passed away in an accident.  Whole his business responsibility came on my shoulders.  In attempt to flourish his business I forgot that I too have a personal life.  I still wonder what has kept Sapna with me till date because I have never really spent quality time with her. For me making money was the only passion.

 

                     *****************

 

"Yes she is Neha.  But she dropped out this year.  She was a bright student though", one of the girl said when I showed her Neha's sketch.

"Do you know where she lives"? I ask that girl.

"She used to live in college hostel.  She said her hometown was Goa".

"Goa!!! Are you sure"?

"Yes but she rarely went to her home.  I mean she used to go only during long vacation at the end of the year".

"Can you give me more details about her"?

"Sorry, I don't know much about her.  In fact no one knows much about her.  She never shared anything with us.  The only thing she talked to anyone included only study related matters".

"Didn't she have any best friend or....."?

"As I said she was somewhat different.  She used to live in her own world.  But yes she had one boyfriend as far as I know".

"Can you tell me where can I find him now"?

"His name is Vishal.  Right now I guess he will be in canteen".

"Thanks a lot again".

 

                      ****************

 

"I thought all kids with big house, lots of toys, lots of servants to look after are always happy", she said after listening to my story.

"Its not necessary all kids with all luxuries are happy.  What's the use of such luxuries when your parents don't have time for you".

"Hmm, then why didn't you try to come out of it".

"Where would I go and I had started to believe this is the only way of life.  Because I had never really seen the outer world which you showed me today".

"I am glad I could make you happy".

"Who all are there in your family"?

"My family, my parents and me".

"You don't have any siblings"?

"No, but whenever I feel like having a sister or brother, do you know what I do"?

"What"?

"I just go to that orphanage run by my parents.  I play with them, talk to them, eat with them.  They feel so happy and thank me but the fact is they are giving me happiness by letting me play with them.  Its so hard without parents, right"?

 

 

For the first time in this entire day I saw pain in Neha's eyes.

 

"Hey, you became emotional again", I said to her.

"Sorry, was just thinking about those who don't have any family".

"Don't think too much.  You look good when bubbly.  This sad face doesn't suit you".

"Hmm, I know. Here back to being myself", and she laughed.

"That's better.  Another 10 minutes and we have to get out of here".

"The day went just like that".

"Yes but you have given me the best memories of my life which I would never forget".

"Anytime dude.  I have also enjoyed a lot with you.  So what will you be doing for tonight"?

"Tonight"???

"You said its your third anniversary right, won't you do anything special".

"Oh, but where's the time now.  Whole day is gone".

"But you still have whole night dude.  Don't be such a bore".

 

 

Neha insisted I should do something special for Sapna like taking her to dinner or something like that.  Even I wanted to spend some quality time with Sapna.

 

"Ok, I will take her to dinner tonight.  I will just call her and ask her to get ready.  She will be very happy", I said.

"Don't be stupid dude.  She will be more happy if you don't give her a call".

"Now what does that mean"?

"I mean give her a surprise dumbo".

"Surprise!! You mean take her to dinner without any prior notice"?

"Are you going on any business meeting or taking your business partner so that you have to give any notice and all, its your fiancee man".

"But what if she has other plans".

"Just seeing you at her door, I am sure she will cancel all her plans.  Mark my words she will be super happy dude".

"But......"

"Again but, just be spontaneous.  You don't have to be formal always, at least not with your loved ones".

 

Neha was right.  Sapna would be thrilled to see this new side of me.

"Ok, now come on.  I will drop you to your place". I said as we reached my car parked outside Sankey tank.

"No dude, I will carry on from here".

"Neha its already late and....."

"No issues.  My house is walkable from here.  You don't worry".

"But still, I don't think its safe.  I mean.."

"I am a brave girl man.  Don't worry about me.  And you take care.  It was one fun filled day for me".

"It was for me as well.  Can we be in touch"?

"You know I don't believe in all this right.  If we are destined to meet again, we will meet".

"What if I feel like talking to you or seeing you"?

"Just close your eyes and talk to yourself.  Believe me you will feel more relaxed".

"But I will track you down Neha.  Not sure when but yes I will get you".

"Well then, good luck to you", she kissed me and bid good bye.

 

                     **************

 

Neha lived in hostel.  Her hometown was Goa.  I don't know still what all had to come.  Why did she had to lie about all this?  When she had bid goodbye to me on that day, I had seen something unusual in her eyes.  Her eyes revealed so many things she wanted to say.  I know she might be having her own reasons to lie and now I wanted to know what were those reasons.  In these three months she might have forgotten me but she was always in my heart.  I had considered her as one of my best friend with whom I had shared all my feelings.  She had opened that door of my heart which I had closed to everyone.  With each progress in my search, now I was sure she was not far from me.

 

I went to canteen in search of Vishal, her boyfriend according to that girl.  Hopefully he would know more details about her.  She was becoming a mystery to me and I at any cost wanted to solve this mystery.  I don't know why I want to meet her so desperately but yes I want to meet her at least once.

 

                     **************

 

"Hey Sunil!! How come you here, that too at this time"? Asked Sapna surprisingly seeing me at her doorstep.

"Well I had to cancel my meeting".

"But, you said it was important right? Anyways come on in".

"Yes, I will explain you everything later.  I have come to take you out to dinner".

"You have come to... what.. I mean you never decide such things without informing or.....", she was very confused with my behaviour.

"Its our third anniversary, so I thought I will give you a surprise visit and take you to dinner".

"Is everything fine with you Sunil"?

"Yes Sapna, now will you please get ready and come".

 

I knew Sapna would be surprised to see me like this but as Neha said she was more happy than surprised.  She readily agreed to come with me without making any excuses unlike me who always had one or the other reason to cancel our outings.  I had planned a very well dinner and some more surprise for her.

 

 

"So where are we going"? she asked me.

"Have patience my love".

"Wow, you are being very romantic today.  What's the matter.  Bagged some big deal or what"?

"Can't I be romantic just like that"?

"Well I have never seen you being romantic at any time though".

"Today I have realised so many things.  I have realised money is not everything.  Relationships do matter a lot".

"How come this sudden realisation"?

"Bangalore's traffic is never ending.  Let me tell you about my day out today".

 

I started to tell her everything that happened today right from the time I left the house to Chennai.  How I met Neha, how my car broke down, from where we took bus, how I had to cancel my important meeting, everything.  Sapna was very surprised to hear all this but was also very pleased because it had completely changed me as a person.  She was happy for my changed behaviour and my approach towards our relationship.

 

 

"Wow, this place is awesome.  I don't think we have ever been here", Sapna said as soon as we entered the restaurant.

"No, this is the first time and as it is our anniversary today, place had to be unique".

"This is too good Sunil.  I would never forget this day and why is this restaurant so empty".

" I have booked the whole place".

"What!!! You booked this whole restaurant!! But why"?

"Like I said, its our anniversary today and I have something special for you".

"You still have something.  I don't know if I am able to handle anything more than this.  Don't spoil me Sunil".

"You deserve to be pampered Sapna.  I never really cared about you or your feelings.  But today, don't stop me.  I want to give you all the happiness".

 

I had made all the arrangements in the restaurant.  Light music was playing in the background.  Lights were adjusted to suit the occasion.  This was the first time we were having romantic dinner, "A Real Romantic Dinner".

 

"How's all this Sapna? Do you like it"? I asked her about the arrangements I had made.

"Like it? I love it Sunil.  I had seen you organising only business deals till date.  But I never knew you can plan a very well romantic dinner as well".

"I have something to tell you, just a second".

 

I got up from the chair, went down on my knees, took out the ring from my pocket and facing towards her I said, "I love you Sapna.  I always did and always will.  I promise you I would never hurt you and try to give you all the happiness you deserve.  I will be with you in thick and thin.  I want to grow old with you because you are one amazing person I could ever have.  Will you marry me Sapna"?

"Oh Sunil..... Of course I will, I love you too, so very much", she accepted my proposal with tears of joy in her eyes and hugged me never to let me go.  I hugged her back and kissed her.  Finally after five long years of knowing each other and three long years of love, we decided to get married.

                    

                     *************

 

"Excuse me, Vishal"? I asked the boy sitting in canteen.

"Yes".

"Hi, I am Sunil".

"Sorry, do I know you"?

"Not really.  I wanted to talk to you about Neha".

"Neha? How do you know her"?

"Well, that's a long story.  For now just know that I am her friend and I wanted some details about her".

"Details, but you said that she is your friend".

"Yes, I had met her only once.  Can you please tell me where can I find her".

"Why do you think I know about her"?

"I got to know that you are her boyfriend"?

"I was, not anymore.  She has also left the college.  I don't have any contact with her now".

"But you must be knowing her address or contact number".

"She was one character.  We were in a relationship but she was a total mystery to me.  She never really shared anything.  I really loved her but she didn't wanted to get committed".

 

Vishal told me he and Neha got into relationship during their second year.  They were together only for six months.  Initially it was only for fun but later Vishal really started to like her and proposed for serious commitment.  But Neha never wanted anything serious and they broke off.

 

Vishal said Neha would never tell anything about her parents or hometown.  Whenever he used to ask, she just used to brush off the matter saying she don't want to talk about her personal life.  Vishal loved Neha very much and tried to convince her for serious relationship but Neha was adamant with her decision.  Vishal had last seen Neha when she had come to college to collect her TC and bid goodbye to all her friends before leaving the college. 

 

Vishal tried to ask her contact number and address so that they can be in touch as friends but Neha didn't give him any details but only said, "if we are destined to meet again, then we will meet".

 

             

"Another two days, but you said you have found her college right"? Sapna was asking me over the phone.

"Yes, but the staff here cannot give her details without the permission of principal".

"So get the permission".

"The principal is on leave and will return after two days Sapna".

"But Sunil, mom and dad will be coming soon.  I thought you would make it by then".

"I want to Sapna but you know this is also very important to me".

"I understand.  Ok you carry on and keep me updated".

"I am sorry Sapna.  I know its hard for you to manage there but.....", I could sense disappointment in her voice.

"Its ok Sunil.  Don't worry, I will take care here.  Love you".

"Love you too Sapna".

 

I know I was giving hard time to Sapna but finding Neha was also important to me.  In two days finally I will be getting some information about her.  Hope there is not another dead end.

 

"Good evening Sir, any luck today"? Anurag asked me as soon as I reached home.

"I found her college but still no luck with her whereabouts".

"But they will be knowing about her address".

"Yes they know but I have to get principal's permission who is on leave and will be coming after 2 days".

"Oh, another two days of waiting for you then".

"Yes, anyways how come you here"?

"I wanted your sign on these documents Sir".

"Oh, how long have you been waiting here"?

"Just 10 minutes Sir.  If you could sign these papers"?

 

I signed the papers and Anurag took my leave.  Another two days and hopefully I would get all my answers.  I had never made a friend as close as Neha in my entire life.  I could stop this search now and come back after my marriage but I want her to attend my wedding.  Neha was the one because of whom I had found this happiness in my life and I wanted to share with her.  I wanted to show her that I am a changed man now.

 

 

"Good morning Mr Sunil.  Sorry to keep you waiting", addressed the principal seeing me waiting in his cabin.

"Not a problem Sir but how do you know me"? I asked him with surprise as I had not yet introduced me.

"This is a silly question.  You are the famous leading business tycoon".

"Oh you do keep track of businessmen then".

"Well only successful businessmen", he laughed.

"Thanks for your compliment Sir".

"So how can I help you"?

"I am here in search of one girl Neha who used to study in your college".

"What about her"?

"I got to know she has left the college and I want to know her whereabouts.  The staff here said that it can't be given without your permission".

"Hmm, they are right but Mr Sunil, its against our rules to hand out this confidential information about someone especially when the student has left the college".

 

                     **************

 

I started the next day with new enthusiasm.  I was very happy about Sapna accepting my marriage proposal.  I knew she would but I was happy about my approach towards her which had a deep impact on her.  I had never seen her as happy as she was last night.  For the first time I realised what I meant to her.  I had a very special place in her heart.  Neha was right.  Making others happy would in turn make us tremendously happy and if it is for our loved ones then our happiness has no bounds.  I was never excited in my life to this extent, not even when I had won an award for best businessman.

 

There were still lot of things I wanted to change one of which involved my attitude towards my staff.  Till date I didnt had clear visualisation of my staff.  Except for some important members I didn't know anyone in person.  They greet me daily but I was least bothered to greet them back.  I don't know if  this was my pride of being supreme but now I wanted to change this behaviour and consider everyone equally.

 

 

"Good morning Sir", greeted Anurag as soon as I entered my office.

"Good morning Anurag.  Please see me in my cabin.

"Sure Sir".

 

He was astonished with my pleasant behaviour.

"May I come in Sir"?

"Please come in Anurag.  Have your seat"?

"I am fine Sir".

"Please have your seat Anurag".

"Thank you Sir.  You look very different and very happy today".

"Well I am and will be the same everyday now".

"I didn't understand Sir".

"I want to call a meeting of our whole staff.  I have some important things to discuss".

"Whole staff!! This is the first time we are having some meeting like this Sir".

"I know, now will you please arrange this meeting in one hour".

"Straight away Sir.  One more thing, that Chennai people had called to arrange a meeting".

 

 

I asked Anurag to give those Chennai people any date they wish for.  Anurag arranged a meeting of our whole staff.

 

"Good morning everyone.  I know you all may be wondering about this meeting as this is the first time we all are gathered at one place.  To ease your tension, no one is getting redundant.  I guess this has eased the atmosphere now".

 

They all had a small laugh among themselves.

"That's good.  Well I have few things to share with you all.  I know I was never a good employer.  I still don't know many of your names here.  I never cared to listen to your queries.  You all have worked hard to build this empire. But I have never appreciated your work.  I want to promise to all of you that things will be different now.  I want to share a friendly relationship with you all.  Your hard work will be very well appreciated.  I have called this meeting to assure you all that everyone will be treated equally and please feel free to talk to me regarding any concerns.  I hope we will make this work.  Thank you one and all".

 

I could see the happy faces of my staff members.  I was feeling proud about my new attitude.

"That was great Sir.  I had never seen this side of yours", said Anurag once the meeting was finished.

"As I said, you will see me like this everyday now".

"May I know the reason for this sudden change Sir"?

"Yesterday's day out changed my whole perspective about life and its meaning Anurag.  I am glad that my flight got cancelled yesterday.  And I would also want to apologise for my behaviour towards you till date".

"You are embarrassing me Sir.  You don't have  to do this".

"But I want to Anurag.  You have tolerated me these many years inspite of my arrogant behaviour".

"Please Sir,  I can understand your position.  Running an entire company is not a joke and people tend to become arrogant at times.  I don't have any issues with that".

 

                     ***************

 

"I am trusting you on this Mr Sunil and giving you her details as I am very well aware about your reputation.  Hope I will not be in any problem" said the principal who after much convincing agreed to provide me the details about Neha.

"Absolutely Sir.  You can mark my words.  I assure you that you or your college name will never show up in any case".

"Well in that case, I will get her details for you.  She was a very bright student.  She didn't give me the exact reason for her discontinuation but then you can never understand today's young generation you see".

"Very true Sir.  Do you know her in person"?

"Yes of course.  She had come through scholarship.  Only I knew about her true identity and she had requested me not to disclose about it to anyone".

"True identity!!! What does that mean Sir"?

"Well she was an orphan and used to live in orphanage until she joined here in hostel.  I have only her orphanage address but I am not sure if she still lives there.  You can try your luck though".

 

 

Orphan!!!! I couldn't believe what I had just heard from the principal.  Neha was an orphan.  This was another and biggest shock for me.  I now remembered why she said that her parents run an orphanage.  She considered them as her own parents.  I can now understand what she felt when she was asking about my family.

 

The principal gave me the address of her orphanage which was at the outskirts of Bangalore, about 100kms.  I was now able to put everything in place now.  That day she had come to collect her college leaving certificate.  But where did she go after I left her.  I wished she returned to her orphanage.

 

Her orphanage was the last hope for me now.  If I couldn't find her there then it will be the end of my search.  If she has left her orphanage I am sure she would not have told them about her whereabouts as far as I know her.  I decided to set off my journey to her orphanage the very next day.

 

                     ***************

 

 

"When can I talk to your parents"? I asked Sapna.

"Anytime.  In fact they are very happy about the news".

"Oh so you told them about the proposal"?

"Of course.  They were pressurising me from a long time.  How about this weekend"?

"I am cool with it".

"Sunil, you are giving me word just like that.  I mean don't you have to check your appointments"?

"Other things can wait sweetheart.  Talking to your parents is the first priority now".

"Wow, I must thank that girl in person who has changed you to such an extent".

"True, so weekend, Saturday or Sunday"?

"Saturday for dinner, is it fine"?

"Ok, no issues".

 

Saturday dinner was fixed.  I was going to talk to Sapna's parents regarding our marriage.  Usually these things are managed by elders but since there is no one in my family, I had to do this.  Sapna's parents were not very hard to talk to but yes I had made them wait for a long time now.

 

"Hello young man, how are you"? greeted Sapna's father.

"Very well uncle, thank you.  Hope I am not late".

"You are always very punctual son.  Have your seat.  Ladies are in the kitchen".

"Oh there must be some big feast then"? I gave a light laugh.

"Of course, today is the special occasion after all".

 

Sapna and her mom came out of the kitchen to welcome me.

 

"Hello son, exactly on time"? asked her mom.

"Oh you both know him na ma.  Whether its any business meeting or family dinner, he is never late", teased Sapna.

"Do you want me to go and come back after a while then"? I asked Sapna sarcastically.

 

We all had a laugh at it.  Sapna's brother couldn't make it as he was on duty.  We all were well settled and it was time for me to come to the matter.

 

 

"Ok everyone, may I have your attention please", I started to address Sapna and her parents and continued, "Uncle and Aunty you must be knowing the reason for today's gathering.  I know I have made you wait for a long time now but not anymore.  I officially want to ask your daughter's hand in marriage for myself.  I am sorry I have to do this as you are very well aware that no one is there on my family.  I am not saying I am the best guy but I do promise that I would try to be a best husband and look after your daughter very well.  I will be with her in all the phases of life.  I assure you, your daughter will be very happy with me.  So uncle and aunt can I get a right to call you mom and dad from now"? I concluded my speech.

Sapna's parents were very happy the way I approached them.  They gave their blessings and assured that they will soon fix a date for wedding.  Finally I was going to settle down with the love of my life.  Sapna is the best companion anyone could have and I couldn't have asked for more.

               

                 *************

 

"Are you serious? I don't believe this Sunil"!!! Sapna was shocked to hear about Neha being an orphan after I called to update her.

"Even I am under shock Sapna.  None of her friends or college mates know about this except for the principal".

"But why did she kept this a secret".

"The principal said that she didn't wanted anyone to sympathise her on this matter and therefore she didn't wanted to disclose her true identity".

"This is bizarre Sunil.  I can understand how you must be feeling now".

"She has become a total mystery now Sapna.  I am just so confused".

"Don't stress yourself too much.  Will you be going to her orphanage"?

"I am setting off tomorrow.  That's the last place I could find her.  If she has left from there, then I am coming back Sapna".

"Don't lose hope Sunil.  I am sure you will find her.  Just be calm and remember one thing, I am always there for you.  Don't worry anything about here, I will take care everything.  Love you dear".

 

 

Sapna's parents had come down.  She didn't let me know about what stress she was going through but I very well understood her plight.  Another two days and her brother will also be coming down.  If I coudn't find Neha in orphanage I would be left with no other option but to return back.  There is no much time left for the wedding now and I could not be selfish anymore.

 

Sapna was the one who had suggested me to invite Neha for our wedding.  She wanted to meet her in person and thank her for all the changes she had brought in me.  I just hoped that I could find her.

I called Anurag and informed him about my tomorrow's trip.

"I will be leaving tomorrow early morning Anurag".

"Sure Sir, will you be returning tomorrow or you are planning to stay back".

"I am not sure yet.  First let me find her.  I will keep you updated".

"Ok, hope you find her Sir.  All the best".

 

                     ****************

 

Our wedding date was fixed and it was after 3 months.

 

"Do you think its too early"? Sapna asked me about the wedding date.

"I think its too late", I winked at her.

"Sunil.... how will we manage within three months.  There is so much to do".

"Your parents might have thought about it love.  Don't you worry".

"They said that if not after three months then there is no date for next two years".

"Oh my god, I can't wait that long now".

"Really, I don't believe you".

"Tell me what should I do to prove you wrong".

"Just promise me one thing, that you will never ever change".

"I promise Sapna.  I have realised that this is the real me.  These many years I was living according to rules but not anymore".

"Hey why don't you invite that girl Neha to our wedding"?

"I don't know anything about her Sapna".

"Then try to find out Sunil.  I really want to meet her".

 

 

Sapna's suggestion made me to think about the matter now.  I do wanted to track down Neha and I guess nothing is better than having her on my wedding.  Somewhere, directly or indirectly she was responsible for this wedding.

 

If I had not met her that day, then I guess I would be still running behind to flourish my business and ignore my personal life. If not for her then I would have lost Sapna, my love, forever.

 

I didn't know how to start her search and I didn't had enough time as well.  There were lot of things I had to concentrate on.  I had bagged that Chennai deal and right now was working on that.  I had few business meetings as well.

 

Anurag was the only and best person I could think of.  I had to tell him the whole incident about Neha and asked him if he could help me in my search as I personally can't afford enough time.  He readily agreed to help me and I knew he would never turn me down.

 

 

"I don't have enough details about her Anurag except for her name", I said while discussing about how to track down Neha.

"Do you know her full name Sir"? he asked me.

"No Anurag.  I know only her fist name.  I don't know where she lives or which college she studies.  I don't have any information about it".

"I will make the list of colleges in Bangalore and see if we can have any luck".

Anurag tried his best to find Neha but even after two months he didn't had any clue about her.  He was very sorry about it though I knew it was not his fault.  Only a month was left for our wedding and we went to Madikeri, Sapna's hometown.

 

I decided that I will search for Neha personally.  Sapna was not very comfortable of me leaving her at this time but I was left with no other option.  I wanted that one person to be on my wedding who had changed my life.  I had promised Neha that I would track her down and I guess the time has come to find her.

      

                     **************

 

"Sorry Sir, we cannot disclose any details about anyone unless you have any permission letter from higher authority", said the lady at the orphanage centre when I tried to ask her about Neha.

"From where should I get the permission? I am not asking any details, I am just asking if I could meet her", I was trying to explain.

"Look Sir, our madam is not there at the moment.  Its up to her who meets the girls here.  Without her consent I can't let you to meet anyone".

"Ok, where can I find your madam then"?

"She has gone to her hometown to attend some wedding.  She will be coming back only after three days".

"Three days!!! Look its very important for me to meet her.  I have my own wedding in two weeks.  I have come to invite that girl.  She is a very good friend of mine".

"Rules are rules Sir.  You are not allowed to meet her without the permission".

"But at least you can check if that girl still stays here?  I will not bother you after that.  Please Mam, its really important".

 

 

That lady was not ready to listen what I was trying to say.  She was very adamant at her words.  Another three days was a long wait for me.  Sapna's parents had come, her brother would be coming soon.  I was standing there helpless.  Why is this becoming so difficult.  I am here at her doorstep yet so far from her.  I didn't even know if Neha still stays here.

 

"Excuse me, excuse me", I called one of the girl who had come out from the orphanage.

"Yes..."?, she turned around with a puzzled look.

"Hi, I am Sunil.  Look I need some help from you.  Can you please tell me if Neha still stays here"?

"Neha..., sorry we are not allowed to tell about anyone to any stranger".

"Do all of you have the same slogan here"?, I got little annoyed now.

"Yes and Mr if you want to know anything then please wait till our madam comes back", and she started to go.

"Hey hey, look I am sorry.  I didn't mean that", I tried to stop her.  I explained her everything about how important it is for me to meet Neha.

 

"I understand, but I don't want to get involved in any problem.  The rules here are very strict especially after the incident just two weeks back", she said.

"What incident"? I asked her.

"Two guys had come to meet one girl here.  They said they were her friends which was true because that girl knew about them".

"And......."

"They took her with them.  Our Mam was not there at that moment.  Then the girl returned next day in a very bad condition.  They had tried to sell her to someone but luckily she somehow saved herself from them".

"Oh that's very bad".

"Yes, after that incident, no one is allowed to meet or take any girl with them unless it is approved by our Mam even the girl knows about them".

"Look, I am not that kind of person.  I would meet her only after taking permission from your Mam but before that I just want to know if she still stays here".

 

Finally the girl agreed.

 

 

"Ok, what name did you say"? she asked me.

"Neha, Neha K.  She was doing her graduation in Bangalore but then she left the college this year which was her final year".

"Neha.....hmm.... I came here only three weeks back.  In these three weeks I have not heard about this Neha".

"Oh....... that means she doesn't stay here anymore then".

"Look I am sorry I couldn't help you but I can do you one favour", she said seeing my helplessness.

"What's that"?

"I can give my Mam's contact number.  You can call her and explain her everything".

"Oh that 's a brilliant idea.  Its very nice of you".

"But you should promise me that I would not be in any trouble".

"Trust me, I don't even know your name.  So how would you be in trouble".

 

That girl gave me the senior in-charge's mobile number.  Now this was the only means to find out about Neha.

 

 

"Yes Sapna, tell me", Sapna called me in between and the girl went on her way.

"Did you reach there? Could you find her"? she asked me.

"No Sapna, not yet", I then told her everything that happened here.

"What next Sunil"?

"That girl has given me the number of senior in-charge.  I will try calling her now".

"Ok, brother will be coming tonight".

"Yes Sapna, I know that.  If she don't give me any details, then I guess I have to stop all this".

"Don't worry Sunil, you have come this far.  I am sure you will not come back empty handed".

"Thanks for your support Sapna".

"Anytime Sunil, take care, love you".

"Love you too".

 

Every effort I was making to find out about Neha was not taking me anywhere.  If this lady also decides not to speak to me, then there is no point of my search and I will have to go back with those words from Neha, "if we are destined to meet, then we will meet".

 

 

"I am trying her phone continuously but its not reachable", I was telling to Sapna on phone.

"Hope you have got the right number".

"That girl gave me this number.  It should be right".

"May be there is no coverage in her hometown".

"I think so.  Sapna, is it ok if I stay back till she returns".

"But Sunil you don't even know if Neha still resides there".

"I know but I am not finding any alternative way".

"Look I don't mind if you stay back but what is the use if she don't live there.  I don't think they will give you her details if she has moved from there".

"I don't know why but I feel she is still here".

"But Sunil, you can continue your search after the wedding right"?

"I can but Sapna I wanted her to attend our wedding, that's the reason I took so much pain.  Don't you think it will all go waste"?

"You are right, stay back Sunil.  At least you don't have to regret later.  Its just I am missing you".

 

Even I was missing Sapna.  I wanted to be next to her helping out in the preparations.  But I am not feeling like going back.  Somehow I am getting a strong feeling that Neha is still around me and calling me.  That girl said she has never heard about Neha but she can be wrong.  Neha never mixes with anyone.  May be that could be the reason she has never heard about her.  I know this is too unlikely.

 

I can explain my situation to the senior in-charge and get her details.  May be she can understand everything.  With so many concerns running around in my mind, I again tried her number and this time luckily it got connected.

 

"Hello, hello Mam this is Sunil here.  I want to talk to you about..."

"Neha, right", she said before I could complete my sentence.

"How do you know this"?

"She had mentioned about you.  Even I need to talk to you about her".

 

 

Finally after so many twists and turns, I would be meeting Neha.  The lady said she had planned to return after three days but since my matter was urgent she would return the next day.  She didn't give me any details over the phone but she said she has something to hand over to me.

 

After talking to her, one thing was sure though Neha didn't live there I could get the details about her.  At least she had mentioned about me.  That concludes even she considers me as her friend.  My gut feeling about her presence around me was proved to be true.  One more night to spend and I will be meeting Neha.

 

I went to the nearby motel and checked in for the night.  I called Anurag to inform him about my stay.  That night I had seen something in Neha's eyes which wanted to tell so many things.  Now I understand that she wanted to tell her true identity.  Now there was no stopping me.  Let her be in any part of India,  I would go and bring her back.  I would never let her go this time.

 

 

"Wow, that's great news Sunil.  I am so happy for you", said Sapna when I told her about the news.

"I am super excited Sapna.  Finally tomorrow I will be getting her details.  If she has mentioned about me then the senior in-charge would definitely give me her whereabouts".

"Its good that you decided to stay back Sunil and I am sorry for asking you to come back".

"Don't embarrass me Sapna.  If not for your support I would have never made it till here".

"But still, at one point I felt like you to return".

"That's because you love me.  Now come on don't be sorry and smile".

"Ya, I am smiling now".

"Did your brother reached"?

"Yes he came just an hour back.  He was asking about you".

"What did you say"?

"I just said that you have some important business meeting and would be coming back in two days".

"I am so sorry you have to do all this.  It's our wedding and......".

"Now see, who is being sorry".

 

 

We talked for some more time and finally hung up.  After I had set out on this search operation, me and Sapna never really had long conversations.  It has been two weeks now but luckily these two weeks didn't go waste.  I  was thinking about all the ways I had approached to find Neha.

 

I didn't had any information about Neha except for her name when I started this search.  I had scanned so many colleges to find her.  I had never searched for anyone in my life the way I had tried to find out Neha.  She had said money can't buy everything which proved true in my case.  Not a single penny of my wealth helped me to find Neha.

Tomorrow will be a new day.  I was very excited.  I have so many things to talk to her.  I am not sure if she will be happy to see me or not but yes she will definitely be shocked that I came searching for her.  She would not have expected that I would track her down so soon.  My heart is filled with excitement and waiting to see the sunrise.

 

                     *************

 

The next morning I got ready and went to the orphanage centre to meet the senior in-charge.  She had asked me to come around 9am.  As I entered the office, the lady who had misbehaved with me the previous day apologised for her behaviour and asked me to have a seat.

 

I took my seat and I could hear someone addressing me and I turned around,

 

"Good morning Mr Sunil, I am Mrs Parvathi Kumar.  How are you"?, the senior in-charge lady introduced herself.

 

Mrs Parvathi Kumar was an elderly lady in her late 50s.  She was a very well dressed lady in a saree, her hair neatly tied, black eyes, medium built and about 5.5 feet tall. 

 

"Good morning Mam, I am good and thanks for coming back early".

 

She indeed had helped me heaps by returning early from her hometown.

 

 

"No issues and I am sorry on behalf of my staff.  Actually few days back there occurred an unlikely incident because of which the rules are very strict here now".

"Oh, what happened"? I had to pretend of not knowing.

"Well that's a long story, doesn't concern you anyhow.  So how did you get here"?

"That too is a very long story Mam.  You said you also wanted to talk to me about Neha".

"Oh yes, few months back she had mentioned about an outing you both had".

"Really!!! I thought she would have forgot about that day".

"And why did you think so Mr Sunil"?

"Well with all the research I made about her to get here made me feel like she is a very reserved girl, talkative but don't believe in making friends.  She makes you feel you know about her but yet she seems to be entirely different at times".

 

Mrs Kumar agreed with my words but she said Neha was entirely different in her early years.

 

 

 

"What you are saying is true Mr Sunil but Neha was not the same always.  She was a young and bubbly girl.  She was a new born baby when she had come to this orphanage.  Her mother died while delivering her and her father was a drunkard and had no job.  He left her here saying he can't take care of her", said Mrs Kumar.

"That's a very tragic story.  Does she know about all this"?

"No, we never told her anything.  She was one of my favourite girl.  It was very easy upbringing her.  She always used to be happy and friendly with everyone.  She had lot of friends and everyone liked her very much.  She used to bond with everyone and had high attachments".

"I am not sure of attachments but yes she is indeed a very friendly person".

 

Mrs Kumar couldn't stop telling me all about Neha and her childhood days.  She said Neha was a very bright girl and started to tell about her achievements during her school days be it in studies or in extra curricular activities.

 

 

"From what you are saying I can realise that she is indeed one of your favourite girl", I said to Mrs Kumar.

"Yes Mr Sunil, her presence would lighten up the whole centre.  Not only me she was everyone's favourite".

"But how did you recognise me in an instant"?

"When Neha told me about you, she also said that you will be coming tracking her.  But I had never expected you to see here so soon".

"She really said that, I don't believe".

"She considered you as a nice person and a friend too which I think is true.  You had only her name but still you made it till here.  Only a true friend can do this".

"She is the one who changed by life Mrs Kumar.  I was leading a very robotic life but she filled my life with colours, emotions, attachments and values.  I don't have any friends till date but only her".

"She would have been very lucky to have a friend like you Mr Sunil".

"From a long time I am seeing you are using only past tense about her which means she has moved out from here right"?

 

 

Mrs Kumar took a deep breath before she could continue.  I felt that she was trying to say something but was struggling with her words.

 

"What happened Mrs Kumar? Is Neha here or moved out and if moved out, then can you please share her details"?

"Just a second Mr Sunil.  I will get the cover she has left for you".

 

Mrs Kumar went inside and I was sitting there and wondering when will my wait would finally come to an end.

 

"Here Mr Sunil, this is the cover she has left for you", said Mrs Kumar.

"This looks like some letter.  Anyways where is she now Mrs Kumar.  Can I get her address"?

"I am very sorry to inform you Mr Sunil but Neha is no more.  She was diagnosed with cancer and she passed away about 2 and a half months back", Mrs Kumar wiped her tears after conveying the unfortunate message to me.

 

                     *****************

 

I was sitting there numb with no reaction.  I was only listening to what she was saying but nothing was making sense to me.

 

"Mr Sunil, Mr Sunil!!!! Are you ok"? Mrs Kumar asked me by shaking me.

"What you said just now......", I asked recovering my senses.

"Yes Mr Sunil, its true.  I know its hard to believe.  She was diagnosed with blood cancer in her first year of college.  Doctors had started treatment on her and given some hopes.  But then she slowly started to detach from her friends.  She remained friendly but she didn't keep any attachments".

"So that was the reason she left the college"?

"Yes, because by the end of second year doctors realised that she will not make it.  So she wanted to lead rest of her life here with us".

"The other night it seemed she wanted to tell something but I never realised it could be this fatal".

"Life is so unpredictable Mr Sunil.  We had never imagined that such a lovely girl would depart from us so soon".

 

 

Collecting the letter from Mrs Kumar I left from the centre with a heavy heart.  I was in pain but there was not a single drop of tear in my eyes.  I wanted to cry and shout but was not able to.  I wanted to curse god for taking away such a beautiful person from this world that too at a tender age.  I was still in a shock and was not able to digest that a girl who had changed my life has left her own life.

 

A sad thing in life is when you meet someone who means a lot to you only to find out in the end that it was never meant to be and you just have to let go.

 

"Hello, Sapna"? I called her number.

"Sunil, what happened, did you meet that lady"?

"I am coming back Sapna.  I will tell you everything when I get there".

"But did you get any details about Neha"?

"Yes, I can't tell you anything now.  We will talk when I reach there".

 

I looked at the letter in my hand which was the only memory of Neha. 

 

"Hey Dude,

 

Now that you are holding this letter you very well know that I have played my last innings.  While getting here you also have known many information about me.  I know I had lied to you about my identity on that day but I am not sorry for that.  I didn't wanted anyone to sympathise me for who I am because I don't feel sorry for me.  We all are different.  We always can't get everything in life.  Instead of longing for something which you don't have why can't we be just happy with what we have.  At times I used to feel bad when I used to see children being cuddled by their parents but then I saw there are also people who struggle every day of their life to have one decent meal a day.  In comparison to them I am far more in a better position.  This orphanage has given me shelter to live, food to eat, clothes to wear, friends to talk to and education to come up in life.  What more could I have asked for.  I don't think my own parents could have provided me with these facilities.  Then why should I complain or why should anyone else sympathise me.

 

In schools it was not under my control but when I joined college and stayed in hostel I requested the principal not to disclose my identity to anyone, not even the staff or lecturers and hence I told all my college mates that I was from Goa.  I always loved making new friends and going to new places.  Bangalore was also one such place for me.  I was enjoying my life when I came to know about my disease.  For one moment I lost my senses but again I thought this is also the part of life.  Doctors had given me hopes that I could survive if I take proper treatment.  I didn't lose hope and continued by life accordingly.  But I didn't keep any close attachments with anyone.  Then I met Vishal in my second year.  He was the one about whom I had mentioned you.  He was a very nice guy and I had crush on him since first year.  He also used to stare at me but I didn't wanted to get close to him because of my cancer.  The more I tried to stay away from him, the more he came close to me.  One fine day he proposed me.  I was on top of the world.  I really did love him but I was not in a position to accept his proposal.

 

He knew I liked him and he was crazy about me.  Instead of turning down his proposal and giving him the reason, I accepted with the condition that there would be nothing serious between us.  He readily agreed for that.  I had some wonderful moments with him.  He was the first person to touch me.  He was the first one with whom I realised meaning of love.  He loved me selflessly.  Vishal wanted to have serious commitment with me but then I broke off with him.  It was not easy for me but I didn't wanted him to long for me because I knew I would not make it because by the end of my second year doctors realised that no treatment could save me.  For one week I remained depressed.  I wanted to live and have a beautiful life with Vishal but again as I said we all are different.  We get only what we are destined for.  After many sleepless nights I finally decided that I am not going to die like this.  I would make every moment of my life special.  I would lead rest of my life in such a way that even death would feel ashamed.  I decided to cut off my studies.  That day when we had met I had come to bid final good bye to my friends.

 

When I met you I realised that you are not very happy in your life.  You had everything but yet you were not enjoying your life.  That's why I decided to stick to you and show you the real meaning of life.  To my surprise you slowly started to enjoy my company.  That one day spent with you was a memorable day to me as well.  I was happy that I was able to make you realise that happiness always relies in smallest things.  Happiness is not always about any business deals or buying expensive things but its about helping others and being the reason for others happiness.  You realised these things and with each passing hour your attitude was changing.  I might have lied to you about my identity but the things that I shared with you was genuine and from my heart.  When I was parting from you I felt like telling you everything but again you would have felt bad for me and would have tried to help me in every possible way.  I didn't wanted that.  I didn't wanted you to think that I told all those things because I was dying.  No I shared all those things because I meant it.  You said you would come back to track me and believe me I knew you would come.

 

I knew I would not be alive by the time you find me.  That's the reason I am writing you this letter.  Please don't ever be sorry for me.  I would always want you to remember me as a bubbly young girl not some grief stricken girl.  I know by now you would be a changed man and I am happy that I could change someone's perspective about life.  Please remain the same.  Life is very unpredictable and don't waste it in unnecessary materialistic happiness.  Live your life to fullest and always be compassionate towards others. Be happy and contended with what you have.  Don't strive for something because someone else have it.  I will be always in your memories and yes convey my regards to your fiancee Sapna and I wish you a very happy married life in advance.  One more thing if we are destined to meet in next life we will meet.

 

 

Your loving friend,

 

Neha".

 

                           *************

 

"Hey Sunil, so good to see you back", said Sapna hugging me as soon as I entered the house.

"How did the meeting go Sunil, all good"? her Dad asked me.

"Oh let him have some rest at least, no more business talks now", said Sapna's Mom.

"Welcome back Sunil, seeing you after a long time.  You go and get some rest, we will have a party later at night", said Sapna's brother.

 

I straight away went to room after taking their leave.

 

"Is everything alright Sunil, where is Neha, didn't you find her and....."? Sapna asked me seeing me lying on the bed.

"Here, read this letter.  I will have a shower and come".

 

I was not in a position to tell her about Neha's death.  Even though I had told Sapna about Neha and her personality I wanted her to know Neha through her own words.  This would give a better picture about her.

 

 

I was deeply touched after reading her letter.  I had tears in my eyes but I didn't wanted to insult her by crying.  I was missing her and feeling bad because a girl with such a beautiful thought had to depart so early from her life.  She was way too knowledgeable for her age but I am happy that she spent her last days with grace and not by grief.  She was someone who had thorough knowledge about true purpose of life.  There are so many people around us who struggle everyday to make a living and we who have every luxury still thrive for something more.  She didn't had any home but she accepted her orphanage as her home, she considered Mrs Kumar as her own mother, she found siblings in other girls over there.  She was true that her parents indeed run orphanage.  She had so many reasons to feel lonely and depressed but she took these things with a positive attitude and always remained happy with whatever she had thinking it as god's gift.  Again she taught me true meaning of life and I thank god for that "ONE DAY OUT" with her.

 

                       **************

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

           

      

          AFTER FEW MONTHS

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Sapna, are you ready? We are getting late now", I call out for Sapna.

"Have patience my dear.  I am almost done".

"I guess you didn't take so long to get ready in our wedding as well".

"You keep blabbering.  See I am ready.  Shall we go now"?

"Hey, you are looking gorgeous".

"You are also not bad".

 

It is Anurag's wedding.  I had to personally talk to both his and his girlfriend's parents and they finally gave their consent.  In fact they are very happy about the match.

 

My wedding also went very well.  I was depressed for a while but then again I took it with positive attitude just like Neha and everything became so easy.  I agree there are so many things to worry about but everything can be solved just by having positive attitude.

 

"Hello"? I answer my call and it was Mrs Kumar who wanted to meet me and was waiting at my office.

 

 

"Good morning Mrs Kumar, how are you today"? I greet her.

"I am very well Mr Sunil.  Sorry to drop here without an appointment".

"Don't embarrass me now Mrs Kumar, please take your seat.  This is Sapna, my wife and Sapna this is Mrs Kumar.  I have told you about her".

"Oh yes, nice meeting you Mrs Kumar.  Sunil always tells about you of what a wonderful person you are", says Sapna.

"He is being too generous.  In fact its because of him that we are able to have so many facilities at our orphanage now".

"You are again embarrassing me now".

"No Mr Sunil, its true.  Your generous donation is supporting us to a great extent".

"Ok, I take that.  May I know your purpose of visit"? I ask her.

"Next month we are having a small annual function like every year.  We want you to be the chief guest".

"Me and chief guest"!!!

"Yes Mr Sunil and we would appreciate if you could also join him Mrs Sunil".

 

 

I accept her invitation for the annual function.  We then proceed to attend the wedding.

 

I wanted to open an orphanage centre but then I decided to donate funds to Neha's orphanage and many such organisations.  This I was not doing only for the sake of Neha but also for my own happiness. 

 

"Happy married life, bless you both", me and Sapna congratulate Anurag and his better half.

"Thank you very much Sir, we both owe you".

"If so, then promise me one thing".

"What is it Sir"?

"Just live your life to fullest".

 

Life and death are evident.  Coming into this world is not in our hands but we could make our departure a memorable one to others.  That is what Neha did.  She made her death a beautiful memory by the way she lead her life.  She may not be here with me now but she will always be there in my heart as my true friend and a well wisher.

 

 

 

When life gives you hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have thousand reasons to smile.  Dream what you what to dream, go where you want to go and be what you want to be because you have only one life to do all the things you want to do.  This is the way of life.

 

"A DAY OUT" indeed was an unforgettable and a memorable one.  We all meet different people each day but very few like Neha leave a deep impact on us.

 

 

 

                      

 

 

             

              ******END*******



© 2017 Swetha


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

202 Views
Added on August 16, 2017
Last Updated on August 16, 2017


Author

Swetha
Swetha

Sydney, NSW, Australia



About
I am a newbie here. I used to write short stories but now trying with novels..Please feel free to leave your reviews.. Also please visit the website woxpert for my other novels... more..

Writing
Final Word Final Word

A Story by Swetha


Part 1 Part 1

A Chapter by Swetha