Preface

Preface

A Chapter by SydneyPseudonym
"

Jumping right in

"

Losing Generation by Sydney Popsuj

 

 ”Gats,” she whispered in my ear, ultimately waking me up.  I groaned.  
“Yes, Eliot?  What do you want? Don’t you realise how early it is?”  She mumbled her apologies, cuddling up next to me.  I shuddered at how cold she felt, but pulled her closer.  
 It had been a long night for both of us.  Full of terrifying twists, and watchful waiting.  We had attempted to keep out of the whole corrupt business, but we were ultimately dragged in.  The crash had affected us the worst.
 ”Where are we? I know you told me, but I forget.  I remember leaving Lennie at the lake, and Adam in the field, but what happened after? The-whatever we took-it’s gone, but I can feel its presence still.  It won’t go away,” she held her head in her hands as if it was causing her pain.  I pulled her closer, stroking her soft hair. I knew she wanted to cry, but she was too strong to do that. We were in far over our heads, and no matter what, we knew they’d come for us.  
  “We’re in the maintenance sector of the subway.  We hopped a train here and hid at the first station we hit.  Adam’s in field, and Lennie’s at the lake, as you said, but we also lost Abe and Tommy….Dessie too,” I added knowing that the words would utterly destroy her.  Two names completely evaded the conversation, even though if anything of the previous night was to be discussed, they should be mentioned first.  We didn’t have the courage to. 
  “Do you think…”
I shook my head.  ”No one but us.” She curled back into my arms, supporting me.
  “Leave me with a good memory before he returns,” I pleaded in my head.  ”God, you’re not up there, but I need to talk, I need to think.  And if by any chance you’ve materialized, let me be the sacrifice of being wrong.  Before this gets worse. Please.  Please.  Please. Please,” I implored and importuned.

  She interrupted me before I finished the prayer with a gun to my head.  ”We’re finding Kate.”

 ”She’s dead.  We both know that,” I flatly said.  She spat at me and told me to let her believe what she wanted.
  “Eliot, we both can draw the simple conclusion.  No matter how much you cared, no power, even the divine power Doc supposedly had, can bring anyone back from that.  We fucked up, all of us, their deaths are on them just as much as us.”

  “Forgive me if I actually have a conscience,” she retaliated.  ”Perhaps I’m feeling the deaths for the dead.” She was falling apart.  I grabbed her shoulders and looked at her with a sympathising expression. 

  “You know we can only hide for now.” She looked back at me with a vacant stare, challenging my knowledge I assumed she shared.  Then without warning she lifted up her gun and hit my head with the butt.  I fell hard and fast, as she prepared to leave.

generation gone generation gone generation gone generation gone lost


I awoke hours later to a huge bruise, but no death.  My pack was gone, as was the gun.  All that remained was myself and an old leather bomber.  The dandelion seeds still remained on the sleeves.  Shivering at the New York City winter, I quickly put it on. It fit in all the wrong places, and tied me to the scene.  In the pocket I found a quick letter written that I had read over and over again on the train the night before.

                Hi Gats,

     I’m pretty positive I found something.  Bring the Generation and we can look into it.  Daisy’s here already, and we’re getting ready to move out.  Meet us by the old yellow Royce by the hoop.  It’ll be worth it, I promise. Oh, please pay Lea, she promised she’d get it to you ASAP so I think a dollar should do.

            Salute from the Amiable Captain,

                 Buch 

If only I hadn’t listened.  



© 2013 SydneyPseudonym


Author's Note

SydneyPseudonym
Work in Progress. Please leave what you think :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

204 Views
Added on August 28, 2013
Last Updated on August 28, 2013
Tags: preface, novel, book, vintage, old 1950s, 1920s, author, young, young adult, writing, write, writer, read, reading, spilled ink