ADVICE / HINTS for SUBMITTING your BEST POEMS

ADVICE / HINTS for SUBMITTING your BEST POEMS

A Story by T. F. Rice

 

SUGGESTIONS from the EDITOR / HINTS for SUBMITTING your BEST POEMS:

 

A first line is very important. Does the first line of your poem draw the reader in?

 

◘  If a “Sense of Place” poem, does it “transport” them to your chosen
place? 

 

◘  If a “Point of View” or “Original Idea” poem, does it: grip the reader with white knuckles, demand that they listen up to what you have to say, make them care? 

 

◘  If a more “Abstract” poem, does it gift the reader enough imagery / poetic language, allowing them to relate it to something “Concrete” of their own choosing?

 

Try putting the poem aside and reading it later, to read as the reader does, without the added details only in your mind. You may need to move lines around, change punctuation, add words, tie together any rough spots. A reader is hooked when they can draw on their own memories to meld with your poem. Smiles!

 

 

 

Originally published in The Other Herald, July 2007.

 

© 2008 T. F. Rice


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
Poems for me are not clear logic or offering of some product. Even some poets are bussinesmans . Poems have to flow with resonations of real life. Mistakes are important they make poem on live also crushing rules of grammas and don't following logic. At our lifes we have to follow logic of time , work, family , school etc. Poem can give us relive and make us truly free what you think about that herr doctor.

Posted 5 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

369 Views
1 Review
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 9, 2008

Author

T. F. Rice
T. F. Rice

Wyoming County, NY



About
T. F. Rice lives with her husband and their teenage son in a small town in New York state in the U.S. She also lives with her creative clutter -- she presses flowers for making candles and cards, recy.. more..

Writing