Six

Six

A Chapter by T.M. Loftis

My legs carry me faster and faster down the black and white marble floor of my hallway. Somehow along the way, I’ve managed to get the key to my suite from my waistband pocket without having to stop or even dropping anything. I hit my door and rush inside, slamming the it shut behind me and leaning against its cool, dark wood. My breaths burst out of me in rapid pants and I struggle to get enough air to my panic-stricken lungs.

Cat, hearing my commotion, comes charging out of her room looking like a woman on a mission in her black on black ensemble. Her long, toned legs definitely came out to play today. She’s wearing short, black denim shorts, frayed around the hems. Her black wedges make her five-foot ten-inch frame tower over me. A skin-tight, cropped black tank completes the look. She’s twisted the waves of her luminous, dark hair into a messy bun on top of her head. A few loose tendrils have escaped and fall around her face, hints of deep purple stand out amidst the ebony. Even without her makeup on, she’s stunning.

“Hun, are you okay?” She asks, her amber eyes searching me over.

I stare at her, unsure of what to say. My mind is a wreck of tormented thoughts and burning desires. Nothing makes sense anymore.

“If someone did something to you, just tell me who they are. I’ll kick their a*s�"no questions asked. Nobody messes with my friend and gets away with it!” There’s a slight edge to her voice as her amber eyes dance on the edge of fury.

I realize I better say something before Cat barges out of the room on a war path. “No, I�"uh, I’m fine. It’s not that.” I pant out the words as I continue to try to catch my breath, knowing that I’ve got to come up with a better response�"and quickly. My right side stitches as I speak forcing me to hold my hand over the spot to soothe the pain. “I woke up this morning and felt like I needed to go for a run, so I did. I’m just not adjusted to altitude running so it’s taking me a little longer than usual to recover. That’s all.” I do my best to sound sincere and hope that Cat believes me. My labored breathing and trembling legs help my case with her, even if their actions aren’t completely caused from running.

Cat crosses her arms and looks at me quizzically. I’m convinced she’s studying my nose, which I now know is not broken nor bleeding, but I’m pretty certain it’s still red from the impact against Brayan’s solid chest. “Alright.” She quips. “But if anyone does ever mess with you�"well, you know I won’t let that s**t fly.” A sly smile curls on her lips.

She may look like a supermodel, but there’s a lethal promise behind her amber eyes. I definitely wouldn’t want to be on her radar. “Yeah, thanks Cat.” I say as the sound of my blood that had been rushing in my ears begins to settle.

“Want some water?” She asks gently as she strides towards the kitchen. The cork platform of her wedges pad softly on the polished wood of the floor.

“That’d be great.” I say, releasing a long and steady breath as I try to calm my nerves.

I take a seat at one of the tall barstools as she fills a glass with water from the refrigerator. The soft, grey leather of the seat is cool against me. Cat leans over and slides the glass across the granite counter top towards me. I gulp it down. The water instantly quenches the heat rolling inside of me. My breathing steadies and my pulse slows. I can feel the blood that had stained my cheeks with a flush slowly retreating. The flames beneath my skin become embers, slowly winking out one by one.

Cat walks over to the small window above the sink to pull back the wooden shutters and let some fresh air in. As she reaches for the wand, I notice something I didn’t see yesterday. A small, delicate tattoo inked between her shoulder blades, just under the base of her neck, is on full display.

That looks familiar.

It is familiar. It looks very similar to what I saw tattooed on Brayan’s back earlier. True, I only saw the top half of his design�"and his was larger, but it had the same scrolling edges. But why would they have the same tattoo?

It’s just a coincidence. You haven’t even seen all of Brayan’s tattoo, Cailan. You’re jumping to conclusions.

I shove the building flood of worry and questions out of my mind. “I didn’t know you have a tattoo!” I exclaim to Cat, genuinely excited to ask her about it.

She turns to face me, a smile on her face reaches her eyes. Cat reaches behind her back and places a hand over the black, scrolling design. She chews on her bottom lip and her eyes light up. There’s no trace of that contained fury from earlier as the gold circles in her eyes glow brightly for a quick moment, before fading to a shade lighter than her amber.

“Oh this? Yeah, I got it when I turned eighteen. It was a dumb, rebellious move on my part. I may have been lashing out against my parents for not being with me for my birthday.” Her voice is solemn and her smile vanishes as she glances restlessly around the kitchen. She doesn’t make eye contact with me.

I don’t have any tattoos and have never really considered the idea of getting one. The desire to know more, to know if it is in fact the same as Brayan’s, gnaws on my insides before finally ripping through. The question flies out of me, “What is it?”

Cat finally looks at me, her amber eyes grow full of sadness as they lock on mine. “It’s a triskele�"a Celtic symbol. My family heritage is Irish Celtic. The design is a portion of our family crest. I guess I thought if I had something permanent on me that represents my family, that they would always be with me�"even when they never are.”

My heart crumbles into a million aching pieces at her words. “Oh, Cai. I admire that you find a way to love and accept people, no matter the circumstance. I think it’s beautiful. And I think your parents are very fortunate to have a daughter like you.” Despite my broken heart, I smile at her in hopes that it will help bring hers back. Sorrow doesn’t wear well on such a beautiful girl.

And her tattoo is beautiful. It looks like three small, delicate, swirling spirals that each meet in a curling flame at the midpoint. It’s an alluring and graceful with a fearlessness to it. Artwork worthy of being permanently inked on no other person’s skin than Cat’s.

Cat rolls her eyes up towards the beamed ceiling of the kitchen as she tries to prevent tears from spilling down her face. “S**t.” She says, lightly tapping at her eyes with perfectly polished fingers. “Ever since I met you yesterday I’ve been nothing but water works. I swear I’m not this kind of person. I�"I don’t know what’s wrong with me.” The words barely choke out of her quivering lips.

I stand and move around the edge of the counter towards Cat. She’s perfectly still, overcome with emotion, barely even breathing. She’s normally about an inch taller than me, but with her platform wedged shoes, she’s pushing six-foot three. I do my best to stand on my toes and wrap my arms around her, knowing that sometimes the words to comfort don’t exist and you just need a hug.

I tighten my embrace. “Hey, no worries.” I say, gently comforting her. “I get it.”

I pull away slowly. Cat, towering over me, bats away the remaining tears glossing her eyes. She clears her throat, “Let’s finish getting ready and then go grab a bite. We have that welcome meeting thing in a little bit, anyway.”

“Sure.” I offer with a smile. Relieved by the thought of being able to do something and get my mind off of Brayan for a while. “I just need to take a quick shower and then I’ll be good. It won’t take me long.”

Cat rests her hands on her curvy hips. “Girl, by the time you get ready I’ll probably still be perfecting my eyeliner,” she declares with feigned attitude. “This,” she points a baby pink nail to her beautiful, angular face, “does not walk out that door without makeup on. Ever.” She winks a gold-laced eye at me as her feline grin slowly spreads on her lips.

“Ha! Girl, please.” I shake my head in disbelief. She’s stunning. I don’t know why she thinks she needs even a drop of makeup. But I guess that’s part of what makes Cat, Cat.

I slide in my barstool as we each head off to our own rooms. Cat’s platform wedges echo in her wake.

I rummage through what little clothing I have in my closet, trying to find something to wear to the welcome meeting. By no means am I going to be pulling out formal attire, but I would like to make a good impression. I’ll be meeting some of my professors, and to me, first impressions are a big deal.

After short eternity spent sorting through several versions of my tried and true jeans and tee uniform and a few rejected ideas, I finally decide on a pair of dark amethyst colored skinny jeans and a silvery-grey, silk chiffon tank. A little casual, slightly dressy, but not too fussy. Perfect.

I grab my outfit and head for the shower. Knowing I’m short on time, thanks to my apparent need to know all things Brayan which lead to the unfortunate encounter earlier, I make quick work of my shower. I don’t even give the steam from the hot water a chance to fog the mirrors before I’m out and dressed. As I begin to comb through the tangles of my damp auburn layers, Cat walks in from her room.

“Mind if I finish getting ready in here?” She asks as she sets a pink, glittery cosmetic case on the granite vanity counter. “I need a bigger mirror than what’s in my room. It takes a lot to make this work.” She says motioning to herself.

“Sure, go ahead.” I reply, over-exaggerating an eye roll in disbelief of her words. “I’ve just got to dry my hair and put on a little mascara and I’ll be done. Shouldn’t take too much longer.” I say as I continue to comb the length of my hair, working on a particularly stubborn knot loose.

Cat’s feline eyes look me over. “You look nice, Sweetie! I love those colors on you. That shade of blouse compliments your fair complexion perfectly. And, it’s almost the same shade of grey that’s in your eyes. Stunning, Cai�"really.”

I can feel blood rush to my cheeks as I blush, but her compliment brings a smile to my face that stretches from ear to ear. “Is complementing my fair complexion your way of telling me I’m freakishly pale?” I ask with a flat voice and a wink.

“Haha, no silly girl! Your skin is gorgeous! You have no imperfections to try to hide. It’s so not fair.” She whines as she sorts through a large cosmetic bag she’s pulled out from the cabinet beneath her sink. She fishes out a black eyeliner pencil from the very bottom of the heaping mess of lipsticks, blushes, and eyeshadows.

“Hey, I’m not the supermodel in the room.” I say, catching Cat’s amber eyes in the mirror.

She smirks, “Oh but you are, you just haven’t realized it yet.” I cut my eyes towards her, skeptical of her opinion. I pale in comparison to Cat. There’s not a person alive who’d think differently.

It doesn’t take us long to finish getting ready. I quickly dry my hair, opting to leave the layers down instead of in my go-to ponytail. I apply a light tint of blush to my cheeks and sweep on a coat of mascara, hoping that it will help me look a little less pallid. I do a quick double take in the mirror, softly tousle the long layers of my hair, and determine that I actually don’t look half bad.

Nice job, Murray.

Cat, who’d buzzed back into her bedroom a minute ago, comes breezing back into the bathroom. A sweet smell of orchids and rain wafts in with her. “Hey, Cai.” She calls, holding up a pair of bejeweled black sandals. “What size are you?”

I study the sandals, shimmering in her hands as they reflect the lights from the vanity. “9.”

“Yes! Me too!” Her enthusiasm is contagious and I can’t help but to smile along with her. “These will go perfectly with your outfit! And don’t turn down the offer because you’re worried about ruining them somehow! Please wear them?” Her amber eyes glow in question.

“They are really pretty.” I say, taking the sandals from her. I run my fingers over the smooth onyx jewels fixed on thin leather straps. I look at the brand. Of course, they probably only cost a couple hundred bucks. That’s all.

“Don’t you even think about it.” Cat’s voice is a cool, stern demand. She read my mind.

“How’d you even know I was going to protest?” The corner of my lips turn up in question.

“Sweetheart, because you somehow have this mindset that makes you think you don’t deserve to be a little spoiled and that you don’t deserve to partake in the finer things in life.” The golden rings around her irises lighten ever so faintly as she locks her kohl rimmed eyes on mine.

The slight variation of the color change opens the door for the flood of questions to rush back in. I know I just saw that. Images of Brayan’s midnight eyes with those iridescent silver rings swarm my mind as I begin to make comparisons between he and Cat. They both have strangely beautiful eyes that seemingly change and shift with their moods. Their sheer beauty is unequaled by any other person I’ve ever seen. The preternatural movements of their bodies exude strength and skill rivaled by none. And the tattoos�"are they the same? But Cat said they’re friends�"just friends.

I quickly shove the thought aside. I know I can’t keep traveling this path, letting this curiosity consume me. I’m reading too much into what’s probably nothing.

“But, if it’s the last thing I do,” Cat continues pointedly as she aims the eyeliner pencil she’s in the process of putting away in my direction, “I’m going to prove to you that you do in fact belong here, and that you do in fact deserve to be spoiled.”

Going against my instinct and not wanting to truly upset Cat, I slip the beautiful black leather sandals on. The gunmetal silver buckle clasps delicately around the base of my ankle. They fit perfectly against my narrow foot. At least Cat knows me well enough to give me flats and not six inch heels.

“See sweetie, they’re perfect! Now, let’s go eat before I starve to death!” Cat exclaims, bouncing back to her room. The sweet scent of orchids and rain lingers in her wake.

I look down at my pigeon-toed feet and wiggle my toes under the thin, black leather straps. The dark, lustrous jewels strung across the tops of the straps shimmer with each tiny movement. Even though I despise myself for accepting Cat’s offer, I can’t help but to admire them. They are really pretty.

I go to my room, grab my small leather cross-body bag from the chair, and sling it ungracefully across my shoulder. I pick my phone up from its resting place on foot of my bed and see that I have one unread message from Uncle Oliver.

Morning! I woke up and went to the bookstore.

Spent a bit of time there.

U know how that goes.

Leaving 4 Jal now, text u when I stop next.

Have fun today!

A smile spreads across my face, reaching my eyes, as I read the message. He pokes fun at me for all of the books I have, yet he’s just as terribly obsessed over them as I am. I hear Cat shut her bedroom door and a wave of excitement runs through me. My day certainly didn’t begin how I had planned for it to, but maybe things are finally looking up. I’m choosing to be optimistic. There’s still plenty of things to see and do today.

Placing my phone and I.D. in my bag, I zip the top of the worn leather cross-body up and head out to the main room. I gently pull my bedroom door shut and see that Cat is already by front door waiting on me. She must be hungry. I laugh softly to myself at the thought of her starving to death while being the great friend that she is and patiently waiting on me.

“Alright, let’s do this!” Her voice is vibrant and full of energy as she holds the door open for me. “Food first, always. Then we can go make the little boys drool.” She says with a sly smile and golden wink. A giggle escapes me at her utter ridiculousness. Although, I do admire her ability to be unapologetically herself in any situation.

As I pass through the open door, Cat giggles pops me on my backside. “Hey!” I yelp.

“Hey, what?” She fakes her innocence and bats her kohl rimmed eyes at me.

“That kinda hurt!” I say, holding a hand over the spot on my rear and knitting my brows together despite having a smile spread across my face.

“I don’t think it hurt you, you seem like a pretty tough cookie to me. I think it surprised you.” She remarks, linking my arm in hers and leading me down the hallway. I breathe in her sweet, invigorating perfume of orchids and rain. Her platform wedges echo off the shining marble floor and polished wood fixtures.

As Cat and I enter the dining hall, I immediately notice that things are beginning to pick up here. There are several packed booths and tables and the food court area is teaming with students. The hum of conversations twines with excitement and fills the air. Everyone must have the same plan we do, eat and then go to the welcome assembly. We make our way through The Market and towards the food court, winding and weaving through the crowd of gathered people.

“So…What do you recommend other than the paninis?” I ask, looking eyes roaming around to the various options.

“Like I said yesterday, it’s all pretty good. Especially when you’re starving!” Cat sings, edging her way through a group of students standing in the middle of her path talking. I trail along after her, mumbling I’m sorries to the displaced people in her wake.

I continue to scan the signs at each station. “Hmm…What about Italian?” I ask. Cat’s eyes widen, “That sounds yummy! I could so go for a big, greasy slice of pizza and maybe balance it out with a salad…Or, another slice of pizza.” She curls her fingers under her chin, feigning deep thought.  Cat hardly looks like the type that would dare even hold a slice of pizza, but with her, I’m beginning to think she breaks the mold in more ways than one.

We wait in line at the Italian for a few minutes. The aromas of garlic and spices making my hunger pangs grow. Ordering first, I opt for a slice of pepperoni pizza, edges draping off the sides of the white paper plate it was placed on, and a small garden salad. Cat, unsurprisingly, splurged for two slices of pepperoni pizza, foregoing the salad. I watch her take the plate of pizza from the server and can’t help but to think about how many girls, myself included, would kill to be able to eat like that and still look like a supermodel.

We take our plates, grab sodas from the refrigerator stationed to the left of the Italian eatery, and head to pay out. Despite the growing crowd there are several registers open, so we don’t have to wait. The cashier quickly rings each of us up. As I swipe my I.D. card to deduct the payments from my meal plan, the woman has already begun ringing up another’s student’s purchase. 

“Let’s see,” Cat hums, surveying the dining area, “where do you want to sit?”

“Doesn’t really matter to me.” I say as I scan the dining area. “There’s a few tables open near the windows over there.” I say, motioning towards the tall windows providing views of the manicured courtyard and majestic Sangre de Cristos.

Cat being Cat, leads the way strutting through the crowd like a model on a catwalk, pizza and all. She pays no to the attention she gathers, from guys and girls alike, with each graceful step she takes. Part of me wants to believe that she’s utterly oblivious to this, but I know she’s well aware of what she’s doing. She is Catriona Brown, after all.

We settle into a corner table between two windows in the back of the dining hall. The Market is alive with conversations and excitement as everyone is preparing for the first big campus event of the year. As we eat, a few girls stop by our table to greet Cat and catch up briefly. They all know her from classes last year. Cat graciously introduces me to each of them before they head on to their own tables.

“Your friends seem very nice.” I offer.

“Yeah.” Cat replies with a mouth full of pepperoni pizza. “They are.”

She doesn’t elaborate any more on them. My mind begins to think that this lack of detail from Cat is strange for her. I’m a bit confused as to why she doesn’t offer anything else about them. Maybe they’re not as good of friends with each other as I had originally thought. We finish our meals, mostly in silence. The dens of conversations carry on around us.

Chewing on the last bite of her pizza, Cat says, “I think we should probably head over to the auditorium now. The assembly starts in about twenty minutes and we’ll want good seats.”

“Okay.” I say as I place my used napkin on top of my plate. I’m still a bit stunned by Cat’s reaction to those other girls.

We dump our trash, wind our way back through the crowd, and head out of the building. The auditorium is across the sprawling campus, so we are having to walk quickly. I’m struggling to keep up with Cat as she strides out the doors and down the cobblestone path. For a girl walking in platform wedges, she sure can book it.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


As we wind our way down the cobblestone paths of Aspen Spring University’s campus nestled amidst the towering Sangre de Cristos, I can't help but to admire the gothic style architecture of the buildings. Although they each share the same weathered grey granite walls, they are all uniquely beautiful.

Each building is topped with spires that seem to reach as high as the peaks of the mountain ranges that surround the campus. Large, pale granite and bronze fountains and sculptures are scattered throughout many courtyards. Aspens, pines, and beds full of bright, blooming wildflowers make up the gorgeous landscape. Whoever designed the university’s layout did a great job of making sure that it blends in seamlessly with its surrounding area.

Despite the openness of this campus and its small student population, the gargoyles nestled between the spires and sitting amidst alcoves create an eerie feeling of being continually watched. I shiver at that thought as I apprehensively peer up at one seated at the base of a spire above me. This one shaped like a large cat with menacing eyes, jagged teeth, and razor-sharp claws.

Cat plays tour guide while we continue our trek, pointing out all of the buildings where my classes will be, and mixing in little stories here and there about the history of the campus. All the while, my eyes continue to hunt every haunting gargoyle hidden in the many nooks and crannies.

As we near the auditorium, my right side begins to pang from the brisk pace. I must not be in as good of shape as I thought I was. Cat on the other hand, isn't even at a loss of breath. Here I am, about to go to my first big college event, clenching my side and sucking air like it’s going out of style while she looks as flawless as ever. Envy twists in my veins at her preternatural ability to always be stunning.

The pathway cutting through a courtyard full of red and purple wildflowers to the ornately carved doors of auditorium is made of large granite stones sunken into the dirt. Small, conical evergreen shrubs hug either side of the stone-laden path.

The auditorium itself is grand and stately. Next to the basketball arena, it is the largest building on campus. It closely resembles an old-world, gothic style church, with its oversized, ornately carved wooden doors, vaulted tile roof, oriel windows, and turrets. And of course, those damn, creepy gargoyles�"watching me. Two large lion statues, sitting on their haunches and carved from granite a shade lighter than the building, flank the entryway as we step through the open doors.

"Wow," I say, looking around the opulent foyer, “this is incredible."

"Stunning, isn't it?" Cat replies. She watches me as I spin in a circle, taking in the stateliness of the building.

"I've never seen anything like it before." I state quietly. It doesn’t seem appropriate to speak with a raised voice in a building such as this. And I haven't seen anything like this before. We certainly didn't have anything like this in Mesa.

The floor of the foyer is made of ivory marble with gold veins spidering throughout it. There are numerous pieces of artwork, that I've never seen the likes of, hanging on the walls. Golden and bronze busts and oxidized sculptures of all sorts are tucked into alcoves around the grand room and displayed upon stands and tables throughout. There are long, polished tables lining the walls where all of the different departments have provided packets of information. People are roaming throughout the room, visiting tables and helping set things up.

“This is where the meet and greet will be after the welcome assembly.” Cat says, motioning to the room. I notice she's eyeing something, so I follow her stare over to a table laden with cookies and cakes and treats galore.

She flicks her eyes back to me. “What? They just look really good, and I'm kind of hungry again.” She pleads with me, looking innocently down at the polished marble floor.

I look at her and laugh gently, "So go get one�"I won't tell."

Cat’s glossy pink lips fall open, “I can do no such thing! How rude would it be to eat in front of all these people when we haven't been invited to do so yet?" Her tone insinuates that such an action is unheard of and catches me off guard.

"Oh, I uh --"

"Besides," Cat cuts me off. A sly smile splays across her lips. "It's a little-known secret that the donuts are always the last to be set out. And the donuts, well, they're to die for." She whispers the last words slowly, making the top-secret information covetous. And who knows, maybe they are. Leave it to Cat to have the inside scoop on the food situation.

"Come on.” Cat says, gently grabbing my elbow and leading me through ornately carved, interior doors which open to the spacious seating area and stage. "We need to get in here so we can get good seats! I hate ending up in the very back. The back is where all the people sit who enjoy floating through life without a plan. I, on the other hand, like to have all my ducks in a row. It’s always wise to obtain all the information that you can when you can.” We step through the arched doorway and Cat leads us to and empty space along the dark wood wall to our left. We stand there in silence for a moment and survey the space.

I glance at Cat and my eyes find hers. The golden rings around her black pupils faintly glow in the dim lighting provided by the sconces strategically hung throughout the auditorium. “I knew there was a reason why I instantly liked you! I live by a strong philosophy that when it comes to meetings, classes, and things of such importance�"winners always sit in the front.” I wink at her as a grin splays across my lips.

Cat beams at me, her smile reaching her lustrous eyes. "Exactly!" She exclaims, barely containing her excitement.

The spacious auditorium is lavish and elegant. The theater style seating is upholstered with plush velvet fabric in the same shade of navy that is our university’s color. The seats are placed on either side of a wide, navy and gold flecked, carpeted walkway the runs right through the center of the grand room and ends at the stage. The large stage, located at the front of the room, is framed by theater style curtains of the same navy color and rich, velvet fabric as the seating. There is a large, polished dark wood podium at center stage with the university’s seal and its quadrants, the Stag with its stately antlers, a mountain peak with a rising sun cresting above it, a skeleton key, and an open book, embossed in gold on the front of it. Directly behind the podium is a row of chairs, presumably for today’s speakers.

As Cat and I make our way down the long center aisle towards the front of the room, I look around and notice that about half of the seating is already occupied by students. Most of whom are seated in the back half of the room. Many of them turn their attentions to us as we continue on past them. Knowing that so many eyes are watching me, a small wave of anxiety courses through my veins. Being the center of attention has always made me extremely uncomfortable. I breathe in deeply and try to settle my nerves.

Cat leads us to the center of the third row from the front and we settle into our seats. My anxious bones welcome the soft cushion of the velvet upholstery as I continue to focus on taking slow, deep breaths to calm myself. There are a few students seated in the rows in front of us and a few others seated at the far right of our row. I am very aware of the situation and trying not to breathe too loudly and draw any more attention to myself as I work away my anxiety. I knew from the moment we entered the front doors that Brayan was somewhere here. I could feel the slight zing of energy building at the base of my spine, telling me so.

Cat leans forward over the seat in front of her, “Hey, Nic! How’s it going?” She asks a girl with cropped, messy brown hair who spins in her seat and faces us.

“Oh, hey Cat! Long time no see. I’m fantastic! How was your summer?” The bubbly voiced girl asks.

“So not long enough.” Cat remarks with a dramatic eye roll before shifting slightly to face me. “Hey, this is my friend and new roomie, Cailan.” She throws a toned arm around my shoulders and pulls me towards her in a quick embrace, pressing the side of her face against mine.

The lively girl, Nic, reaches over the back of her seat and shakes my hand. “Hi, Cailan! My name is Nicole, or Nic, I’m a junior here.”

Taking her tiny hand in mine and returning the handshake I reply, “Hi, it’s nice to meet you, too. I’m a freshman and well, you already know the rest.” I smile and look to Cat.

Nic returns a beaming smile. “Welcome to Aspen Springs! I’m sure I’ll be seeing you around, so don’t be a stranger!”

I meet Nic’s large, round eyes, “Thanks, I won’t.” As I finish my reply I notice some people walking out from behind the curtains and taking their seats on the stage. Nicole quickly spins back around.

Cat leans in close to me, “I think you’ll really like Nic, she’s one of the sweetest people I know here, other than you.” She whispers, winking a kohl rimmed feline eye.

By now, the tiny spark of energy that I became instantly aware of upon entering the auditorium has grown and expanded into a flame that’s danced up my spine, swirled through my chest and settled in my bones. He’s really close.

The lights on the stage adjust, dimming slightly, and Cat and I both turn our attentions to it as more people file in from behind the velvet curtains. Brayan, wearing a President’s Select navy polo that hugs every muscle of his powerful torso and puts his lethal arms on full display, and dark denim jeans cuffed at the top of a pair of well-worn, black motorcycle boots, approaches the podium.

Oh, holy hell on fire.

Goosebumps fan across my paling skin. My mind races, my blood rushes, filling my ears. I don’t know how I’m going to hear anything said much less remember all of the information that I need to know with him standing right in front of me. I take a deep breath and slowly release it. I’ll just sit here quietly and try not to draw any attention to myself. Maybe he won’t see me.

He begins to speak and the entire place falls silent as conversations halt and all eyes focus on him, all ears eager to listen to his every word. The only sounds I can hear are my heart pounding in my chest and the blood rushing in my ears. 

Focus, Cailan.

Brayan’s deep and commanding voice spills from the speakers and fills the room, “Good afternoon and welcome, all, to Aspen Springs University. My name is Brayan Collins and I am the Head of the President’s Select.” There’s not a single person stirring in the room. Even those seated on the stage behind him have their sole attentions focused on him and his prominent presence. Brayan scans the room slowly, his midnight eyes sliding from row to row and person to person before pausing on me.

S**t. My breath hitches. Eyes widen.

I dare not move as Brayan continues. “On behalf of the entire President’s Select and the university, I want to officially welcome each of you to the Fall semester. I hope that you all had a fun and rest-filled summer and that you are recharged and eager to strive for honor and greatness in the months ahead.” His eyes don’t flinch as they stay frozen on me, pinning me in my place. Surely others witness this.

Nervous energy twists through my veins. The tingle at the base of my spine claws its way upwards and spiders across my shoulders and down, causing the hairs on my arms to raise. I’m helpless as I stare into his midnight eyes. I can just make out the silver shards that ring his dark pupils from here. 

His large hands, knuckles turning white, tightly grip the sides of the podium as he leans over it slightly, as if he’s trying to get as close to me as he can. My heart pounds against my rib cage. The muscles along his arms ripple with tension as he continues, “It is my pleasure to introduce to you the President of Aspen Springs University, Doctor Alaric Dean.”

Brayan continues to hold his smoldering, dark gaze on me as he releases his white-knuckled grip and steps away from the podium. Dr. Dean quickly rises from his seat on the stage and approaches the podium, the two of them shaking hands. Making his way to last chair on the stage, Brayan takes a seat, keeping his fiery focus on me. I notice the muscles in angular jaw tense and flex beneath his dark stubble.

Can’t he just stop torturing me? Does he find some sort of sick pleasure in my anxiety? I hate that he has this effect on me. I hate myself for letting him do this to me. But I still can’t help but to wonder what it would feel like to have those strong, callused hands slowly trace their ways down my body. To wonder what it would feel like to hear his voice whisper my name with a fiery passion that only he could. Rage and desire war with each other, tumbling through my body and igniting bones. His midnight gaze still holds me.

I’ll never be able to make it through this meeting. Not with him eyeing me. Not with my body responding to his every movement. And not without the pressure of wanting to flee or wrapping my arms around his broad shoulders splitting me into a thousand shards.

Brayan, midnight eyes still locked on mine, tilts the edges of his lips up in a sheepish grin, causing a dimple to form beneath the stubble of his angular cheekbone. The star lit silver of his eyes faintly glows under the dim yellow of the stage lighting.

A tingle dances its way across my pale skin. Something inside of me urges me to move closer, to be right next to him, to touch the disheveled strands of inky black hair that fall around his face.

I clench my fists together tightly in my lap, fighting back the urge. It takes everything I have, but I force myself to look away from him.

“Good afternoon.” The president’s booming, raspy voice echoes throughout the auditorium. The armrests on the sides of my seat vibrate in response. “My name is Doctor Alaric Dean, I am the president of this fine university. I would like to formally welcome each and every one of you to Aspen Springs University.” He scans the expanse of the crowd, pushing up his wire frame glasses that have slid down the bridge of his slim nose.

Dr. Dean doesn’t look anything like I expected the president of a university, especially one as prestigious as ASU, to look. He looks to be in his mid-sixties. His thick, graying hair is grown out, covering his ears, and slightly disheveled. He is wearing tan slacks with a wrinkled, long sleeve checkered shirt. His blue bowtie, a shade lighter than his shirt, sits slightly askew around his neck. His sport coat is worn and has definitely seen better days. But he has an endearing manor to himself, almost grandfatherly.

Doctor Dean continues. “As we begin this Fall semester, I look forward to meeting as many of you as I can. I have much faith in the fact that we have the brightest students in the world, and I cannot wait to witness your brilliant minds at work. But enough about me, this day is for you. As you may have noticed upon entrance into the auditorium, there has been a reception area set up just outside these doors. There you will be able to mingle with each other, enjoy some refreshments, and meet our fine staff.” He pauses for a moment and looks back at the group of people sitting behind him, offering them a smile.

"Also, you'll be able to take a glance at the many student organizations ASU offers, so please be sure to check out the various tables set up for those. Several of the organization presidents and leaders are up here on stage so be on the lookout for them.” He says, turning slightly and motioning towards those seated behind him.

My eyes flick to Brayan, locking with is midnight stare instantly. His lips still wear the sheepish grin. I suck in a deep breath and part my lips, utterly taken aback by his sheer beauty. I want to return a smile, to be that brave�"but I can’t. All I can do is sit here and be paralyzed by this preposterous attraction with no ability to control my body’s reactions to him.

Dr. Dean looks back at the audience and pushes the nosepiece of his glasses higher. "Well, I'm sure you all are tired of hearing to this old man bore you to death.” He grins. “Go, mingle, make some friends, explore your opportunities, and thank you for your time. I look forward to meeting those of you that are new to us." The echo of his deep voice booming through the speakers vibrates through my core.

Everyone around me, including Cat, stands to applaud and I force myself up from my seat and follow suit as Dr. Dean exits the stage. I hope that I get the chance to introduce myself to him. I know that I am out of place here and the need to prove my worth weighs heavily on me.

"Let's go!" Cat grabs my hand and pulls me through the row of chairs and out the end. "We don't want all the donuts to be gone by the time we get out there!" I struggle to keep up with Cat. My legs are weak and my body is a wreck of nerves and desire and tension.

As we are rushing up the center aisle towards the lobby, I look back over my shoulder at Brayan. He's still on the stage, standing now, and he's still watching me. He hasn't taken his midnight eyes off of me the entire he’s been up there.

Creeper, much?

My inner-self just can’t help herself. I stumble over my barely moving feet, almost falling face first. Cat helps to steady me.

"You alright?" She asks as she looks me over. Concern plagues her bright amber eyes.

"Yeah, uh�"I’m fine. Just pigeon-toed people problems. No biggie.” I say, quickly brushing off her concern.

I try to push my focus towards the donut mission and away from Brayan before I seriously injure myself.

 The lobby is teaming with students and faculty alike. Even more organization and department tables have been set up since we passed through here on our way to the welcome meeting. A new wave of anxiety washes over me. I don’t even know where to begin.

Cat closes her eyes and lifts her chin, sniffing the air. "This way.” She directs, making her way through the crowd towards a tower of donuts strategically arranged at the center of a large rectangular table.

I try to follow close behind, but I'm finding that it's a near impossible thing to do as I bump into several others along the way. The lobby of the auditorium, though spacious, doesn’t provide for much extra room when well over a thousand people are crammed in it. Cat, on the other hand, maneuvers gracefully through the crowd. She makes everything look easy.

By the time I catch up to her, she's already eaten nearly an entire donut. She turns and hands me a donut on a gold napkin. "These are amazing.” She sighs, as she finishes the first one off.

I bite into the chocolate donut covered in a decadent dark chocolate frosting and sprinkles. Heaven. Pure sugar coma heaven.

My eyes must have spoken for me because Cat, who’s been eyeing me intently, chimes in, “See, I told you!"

She reaches across the table a second.

As I devour my way through the sweet, sugary goodness of the donut my skin pricks up. I begin to search the lobby. I notice a few tables that I make mental notes of to visit before leaving and then my eyes come to a crowd of girls gathering in the center of the lobby. The total fangirl mania can only mean one thing, Brayan.

And there the powerful male stands, the eye of his own storm.

The girls swarm him, asking him pointless questions, competing with each other to be the sole object of his attention. There other guys watch in shock at the force that is Brayan. But all of the girls’ pining and flirting and primping and preening isn't working for them because his attention is already solely focused on one person, as it has been all afternoon.

Me.

My heart races and my pulse thunders in my ears. I can feel my knees growing weaker by the second. I place a hand on the edge of the table to brace myself against falling. At his height, he towers above the hoard of girls surrounding him, making it near impossible for me to ignore his stare.

Starlight on a midnight sky.

Cat, following the line of my eyes, nudges me forward. "Just go talk to him. I'm not blind, I've seen him watching you today," she says. She puts more force into her push making me release my hold on the edge of the table. My safety net.

I turn around, my eyes pleading with hers.

My voice is barely a whisper as I address her. “Cat, I think he's made it very clear that he wants nothing to do with me. Yes, I don't get why he keeps looking at me, but I'm not going to go talk to him. Not right now."

"Okay, okay.” Cat says holding up her hands in defeat. "But you should, eventually. I know I said he's one of those guys that knows that he can have any girl he wants, but I've never seen him so intently focused on one girl before. Maybe he sees you differently than he sees the others." She shrugs her shoulders and looks down at me with her intense golden stare.

Ha, yeah. Different is the most accurate word in that statement. My inner-self jumps at Cat’s comment.

"Look, I'm sure I'll be forced to talk to him again sooner or later. Apparently, we have the same major.” I say, meeting her endless amber eyes in challenge.

Cat's glossy pink lips turn up in an evil, little grin.

"Quit looking at me like that.” I say as I do my best to look convincing.

"Like what?" She asks innocently batting her long eyelashes. I roll my eyes at her ridiculousness and we both manage to laugh.

"Well, if you want to stand here all day and discuss Brayan, you're going to have to pick one of his little fangirls to do that with. I see some tables I'm going to go visit.” I make a mental note of the nearest table, looking for the easiest escape route from this conversation.

"Alright.” Her sheepish grin lingers.

"I'm going to go scout out the other tables with food, holler if you need me!” She exclaims. I eye her as she graceful makes her way through the throng of girls and across the lobby.

A sigh of relief escapes me. I turn and head for the English department's table.

Stepping around a few guys visiting with each other and lingering in my path, I notice that Dr. Dean is helping man the department’s table.

Perfect!

I straighten my posture, confidently approaching the table. I believe in the power of first impressions and I want to make a lasting one. 

“Hello, Dr. Dean.” I say, extending my hand for a handshake. He takes my hand in his. His dry, callused skin scrapes roughly against mine. “I would like to introduce myself to you. My name is Cailan Murray. I’m a freshman English Literature major.”

“It’s very nice to meet you, Cailan. The please is all mine.” He replies with a sparkle in his eyes and firmly shakes my hand. “I must say,” his low, booming voice continues on, “I actually remember your name quite well. Your mother was one of the brightest students to ever grace these grounds, I was so very sorry to hear of her accident. Please accept my deepest condolences.” His face softens as sorrow knits his greying brows.

I’m caught speechless for a moment and I try to think of what to say. I wasn’t expecting him to know me and I certainly wasn’t expecting him to bring up my mom. “Thank you, Dr. Dean. That really means a lot to me.” My voice shakes a little too much for my liking. Crying like a baby in front of the president of ASU would not be a great first impression to make.

His dark brown eyes search my face for a moment from behind his wire framed glasses. “And as for you, I read through your file during your admissions process.” A smile spreads across his lips. He places a large, callused hand on the side of my bare shoulder. “It seems that the apple didn’t fall far from the tree. I’m much looking forward to seeing you in action.”  His winks a dark eye at me, still smiling.

His words bring a smile to my face. I can’t help but to feel like a giddy, little girl on the inside. The president of ASU knows me and he thinks I’m as intelligent as my mom! Pride swells within me, pushing against my chest. I can only hope to be half of the person my mom was.

“Thank you, again.” My smile reaches my eyes. “I know I’ve got some big shoes to fill, but I’m always up for a good challenge.” I say, trying my best to sound cool, confident and collected and not like the emotional wreck I am on the inside.

Dr. Dean takes a step back and straightens his posture. He’s a lot taller than he looked on stage. “I am positive that you will find our academic programs vigorous and demanding, yet I’m sure you will excel with flying colors. After all, you are Fiona’s daughter.” He remarks, looking fondly over the top of his wire rimmed glasses. His chocolate brown eyes shine brightly. 

Suddenly, the hairs on the back of my neck prick up, the feeling slowly crawls across my bare shoulders. Brayan must be standing closer to me now, watching me. I dare not look around to find out. I can’t make a fool of myself in front of Dr. Dean. “Thank you. I, um�"I can’t wait to get started.” My words rush out of me and Dr. Dean looks at me quizzically.

He points to some pamphlets spread out on the table next to us. “Please, take a few moments and look through these. You may find a group or organization you would like to join within the department.”

My eyes follow the direction of his large hand. “Yes, sir. Thank you, again.”

I move over to the next table where all the pamphlets are neatly arranged and begin looking through them. I’m slightly relieved that I was able to get away from Dr. Dean’s attention before the Brayan effect came on full force and slightly irritated by and questioning why my body just knows when he’s close by.

I huff out an annoyed breath and pick up a few pamphlets that contain information on groups I find interesting. I refuse to let Brayan ruin this entire day for me. Determined to make the best of this situation, I gather my courage and look around the room, reading the signs for the various other tables, and trying to figure out which one to visit next.

Near the table to the right of me is one of the guys I saw Brayan with at the Rec earlier today. His short hair, slightly longer on the top, is arranged in a perfect mess. The fiery, copper-red color of it easily separates him from the others around him. He too is wearing a President’s Select polo which must mean this is their table.

I can’t help but to let my eyes roam him and absorb the sight. Though not quite as tall as Brayan, but still tall in his own right, he’s equally powerful. His lean, muscular frame fills out his polo. His thin, angular features beneath his fiery red hair are works of art. His pine green eyes pop with flecks of emerald surrounding his pupils. His thin lips are turned up on the edges in a disarming smile that I’m quite positive he’s used to his advantage more than once. I wonder what other qualifications it takes to be in the President’s Select organization other than the obvious two�"really smart and really hot.

I know I should keep on moving and avoid that table at all costs. But my legs ignore my mind and I quickly find myself standing right in front of fiery haired god.

“Hi! I’m Garrick, Second-in-Command of the President’s Select.” He says proudly, extending his hand in a friendly gesture.

I’m thrown for a loop for a moment. I had mentally prepared myself for this guy to be as difficult and broody as Brayan, but surprisingly he’s not. His outgoing personality has me instantly smiling from ear to ear.

I place my hand in his and shake. His grip is firm, but not painful. I can feel the rough skin of calluses across his palm. They must be from all the weightlifting he does. “I’m Cailan.” I reply. “I’m new here�"a freshmen. It’s nice to meet you.” My eyes lock in on his. I’ve never seen green eyes so captivating before. The bright emerald flecks in them dance amongst the deep pine.

“Were you at the Rec this morning? I think I saw you while we were lifting?” He quizzes me, shoving his hands in the front pockets of his khaki-colored pants. His lean biceps flex against the tight sleeves of his polo.

Oh, lovely.

“Um, ye�"yeah.” I stutter. I can’t believe he recognizes me. I never thought he saw me at the Rec earlier. I must have been too caught up in Brayan to realize that this guy�"Garrick, was paying attention, watching me.

I continue quickly, trying to rescue myself and hoping that I’m not turning twelve shades of red from embarrassment. “I, uh, I went for a run this morning and decided to take a look around after it.” I’m pleased with my quick response. I feel like I sound convincing.

Garrick’s laugh rises higher than the conversations carrying on around us and a few people turn to look in our direction. He leans in closer to me. His scent of evergreen and warm cinnamon is soothing and inviting. “Well, it’s nice to meet the girl who managed to get Brayan so worked up.” He says as a dimple forms with his grin just below his angular cheekbone.

Oh holy hell on fire, he witnessed way more than I even expected. How could I have been so utterly oblivious earlier? And what exactly does he mean about Brayan being worked up? The questions spiral in my mind.

I force myself to keep my eyes steady on his as I try to quickly think of a way to respond to what he just said. Much like Brayan and Cat’s eyes, his are captivating and preternatural. There’s something ancient in them. Something that spans beyond.

My ever opinionated inner-self takes the opportunity to chime in. So maybe that’s the third requirement of the President’s Select�"the eyes.

Captivating eyes that contain stories and worlds beyond my imagination. Eyes that see things that others have not and feel sorrows and joys greater than any on this Earth. Eyes that can shred through the pages of my soul before I even realize what’s happening. I wonder if maybe my inner-self is right for once.

I can’t go down this path here in the middle of all these people. I think quickly, trying to come up with something to cover my tracks. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” I retort, biting my lower lip. I try to look away from him, but I can’t.

Garrick raises his coppery brows and shoots me a knowing look. Before either of us can say anything else, energy slams my body, igniting my veins and swarming my bones as Brayan steps up right beside me and straightens to his full height, towering over me. He’s so close that the slightest movement of my fingers at my side will graze him. His scent, leather and bergamot, overtakes my senses. His midnight blue eyes narrow in on me, the abyss of them almost removing any hint of the silver rings. I’m completely intoxicated by him.

He growls, “Freshmen aren’t allowed into this organization. Besides, we don’t know how smart you really are.” A smug grin tugs on the edge of his lips. He crosses his arms across his powerful chest, the muscles of his arms tensing and flexing beneath his golden tan skin. He’s mere inches away from me and my body is on fire. Every cell is crying out with nerves and longing. I want to run my hands through the layers of his inky hair, feel the shape of the muscles under his perfectly tanned skin, breathe in his scent until it becomes a part of me�"until I know nothing other than leather and bergamot.

I breathe in deeply, settling the wildfire within. I clench my fists at my sides, straighten my stance, and turn to face Brayan completely. “I realize that I am not a junior. I also realize that you don’t know what I am capable of academically. But what you need to know is that I will be a junior sooner than you realize. I’m only one credit away from being classified as a sophomore thanks to dual-credit classes, and I am very well aware that you do not get to pick who is and is not a part of this organization. Dr. Dean does.” My voice is calm and even, my words lethal.

My inner-self is proud of the punch I just threw. I’m shocked as well. I’m usually not that assertive of a person, but something about Brayan brings the sass right out of me. And it feels good. Relief floods through me, driving away some of the tension that had threatened to consume me. Maybe I can handle him better than I thought.

Garrick, who’d been silently observing the show, bursts out in a fit of laughing and several people around us turn to look. I’m still facing Brayan, hands now placed on my hips. My blue-grey eyes challenge him. The silver in each of his eyes illuminates quickly and then recedes back into the midnight abyss.

His dark eyes are open wide. His mouth, no longer in a cocky grin, is slightly parted. Brayan looks…stunned. I stunned him. Me. Little, new girl, Cailan. I allow the faint trace of a smug grin to spread across my lips, knowing that this will send Brayan even further over the edge.

Brayan keeps quiet, not daring to say a word back. Something flashes across his midnight eyes�"shock. He drops his powerful arms to his sides, clenches his fists, causing the muscles in his biceps to ripple, turns around and stalks away. The crowd of people in his path part for the furious male as he storms through the center of them and leaves the auditorium.

I spin back around quietly reveling in my victory and meet Garrick’s shocked face.

His green eyes widen as he exclaims, “See! That’s exactly my point. I’ve never seen anybody have that type of an affect on him�"ever. And I’ve known him for a really long time.” The emerald flecks in his eyes dance brightly as he laughs softly to himself. He rests a finger on his chin as if in deep thought. “In fact, I’ve never seen anyone brave enough to enter a battle of wits with him. Most people just take the easy way out and cower down.”

“Well, I’m not most people.” I reply, shrugging my shoulders.

“No, no you are not.” Garrick’s voice is deeper now, filled with awe.

A big, toothy smile spreads across his beautiful, thin-featured face. “I may just have to keep you around. I kinda like seeing him squirm.” He winks an emerald eye at me.

Gentle laughter tumbles out of me. I think I kind of like Garrick. Although he is very attractive, I can tell that he’s definitely more of a friend type to me. He’s got an endearing, brotherly quality about him. At any rate, he’s at least a good buffer to have between myself and the ever-delightful Brayan.

I chew on my bottom lip before I respond. “I’m game for that. Is it bad that I kind of enjoy seeing him squirm?” I ask playfully.

Garrick chuckles, “Nah, never! Like I said, he never reacts this way to anyone.” He takes a step closer to me, learning in a little. Evergreen and cinnamon tickle my senses. “He’s met his match in you, Cailan.” The flecks of emerald green surrounding his pupils pulse faintly under his coppery brows.

My mind whirls in response. Please tell me I did not just see that happen�"again.  But I know I need to hurry up and speak before he catches me starring at his eyes. “Well, I’m not so sure about that. He’s a little broody for my taste. And please, call me Cai. All of my friends do.”

I find myself hopeful that he and I will be friends. Even if that means more excruciating run-ins with Brayan.

“For sure, Cai.” He replies through a lopsided grin. “Hey, what’s your major?”

My body begins to relax with the ease of the conversation. Garrick seems like a very easy person to be around. Nothing at all like his friend.

“English Lit�"I’m a bookworm.” I smile at him sheepishly.

His evergreen eyes glow brighter. “Ha! This is too perfect! Brayan is�"”

“Also an English major.” I say flatly, cutting him off. “My roommate told me. This isn’t the first encounter I’ve had with him.”

“Who’s your roommate?” He quirks an eyebrow up in question.

“Cat Brown, she’s here…Somewhere.” I say as I scan the crowd. “Probably wherever the best food is.”

He erupts with laughter again. “Sounds like her! I’ve not seen her since May. She’s the best, isn’t she?”

“For sure. I got really lucky with the roommate lottery.” I say, returning his bright smile with one of my own.

Garrick, noticing that there is a line of people forming behind me now to visit his table, steps to the side a bit. I follow. 

He continues on, ignoring the students waiting in line at his table. “I’m not an English major. History�"Ancient Civilizations to be exact. But I usually see Cat around quite often. We’ll have to hang sometime.” He offers. “Grab a bite to eat or something.”

My chest expands with the offer of friendship. “That sounds great, Garrick. It’s been really nice meeting and talking to you.” I look over at the growing line of people waiting to get some information from him. “I guess I better go and quit holding up the line. I’m pretty sure I’ve given several of the girls here a reason to hate me already. I don’t need to make any more enemies.”

Garrick moves closer and embraces me in big bear hug. I’m caught off guard and unable to move my arms that are trapped beneath his. He’s tall, maybe not as tall as Brayan, but he’s a good six-foot two-inches with lean and defined muscles. He squeezes tightly, pressing my head into his rock-hard chest. All I can think about is how I would definitely want him on my side during a fight.

His voice rumbles in his chest against my ear. “Don’t worry about them, they’re just jealous. You’ve got the attention of the thing they want the most but can’t have.”

He releases me from his strong embrace.

“Maybe.” I say quietly, biting my bottom lip and looking up at him.

“Hey,” he says gently, looking down at me, “don’t let anyone, especially any one of them, take that beautiful smile away.” He brushes the bottom of my chin with his callused thumb.

“Thanks, Garrick.” I reply, flashing a smile at him. I’m finding it very hard not to smile around him.

He takes a quick glance at the line at his table and turns his attention back to me. “And who knows, maybe you’ll be a President’s Select member before you know it.” He stuffs his hands in his front pockets. “You’ll have my vote if the President asks for our opinions before making his final decision.”

“We’ll see.” I wonder what it would be like to be in the same organization as Brayan. To work with him on a daily basis. To battle him on a daily basis. To be constantly slammed with that feeling

You know you’d secretly like it.

I want to scream at my inner-self to shut up but I’m fairly certain I’d make a complete fool of myself.

 Garrick flashes another brilliant smile before turning towards the table. “Don’t be a stranger, Cai.”

I nod my head in response, return his smile, and turn around to find that Cat is approaching quickly.

“Hey!” She’s waving big over a few people that are standing between us.

“Hey, Cat!” I call back.

“So, I see you were deep in convo with Garr?” She questions, her amber eyes searching mine for answers.

I try my best to play it cool. “Yeah, I just met him and he seems pretty cool. Super friendly�"very smiley.” I grin.

Cat giggles. “He’s literally the happiest person you’ll ever meet. I don’t think that kid ever has a moment that passes without a smile plastered across his face.” She looks over at him as he helps some students in line at his table.

“Yeah, he mentioned he knew you and that he hadn’t seen you in a while. It sounds kind of like he may be interested in meeting up with us sometime.”

Cat’s eyes glow brighter at the thought of that. “Oh yeah? Maybe we can hang before class starts on Monday.”

I smile thinking about that. I really did enjoy talking to Garrick. I’d like to get to know him a little better. I’m excited about the possibility of finally having some real friends in my life.

“What do you say we get outta here? I mean, unless you’re not done browsing.” Cat asks while twirling her hand around in the air.

“Yeah, I’m done.” I quickly scan the busy room one final time.

“Great, I’m thinking maybe we can hit up the bookstore before they sell out of a lot of the books and materials we will need for classes.”

Grateful for the offer of an opportunity to keep my mind busy I reply, “I was actually wondering about that earlier. I even brought my schedule with me in case I managed to make it there.” I say, patting the side of my leather cross-body. “I don’t want to go into my first day of classes unprepared.”

Cat flashes a toothy grin at me. “A girl after my own heart.” She croons.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


The on-campus bookstore is located in the basement of the Student Union building which is a short walk from the auditorium. Cat and I reach the building in no time.

The Student Union is massive. It is designed with the same gothic-style architecture found throughout the campus with its grey granite walls, pale statues, and leering gargoyles.  The main entrance to the building is flanked on either side with two of the large gargoyles in the forms lions with long, curling tails, dagger-like claws, and pinned back wings.

I eye the suspiciously and I walk past them. I again can’t shake the eerie feeling of being watched by them.

Upon entering the Student Union, I find the interior to be in stark contrast to the harshness of stone exterior.

 We enter into the main lobby of the three-floor building. The floor is set with the same black and white marble lining the hall of my dorm. There is a large bronze statue of a stately Stag in the center of the lobby, its majestic antlers reaching towards the towering ceiling. The entirety of the inside looks like a very elegant ski resort lodge. There are plush cream leather sofas and oversized chairs nestled in every nook and cranny. Large fur rugs shades of browns and blacks line the floor spaces between them. Several wood-burning fireplaces are located throughout the main floor. Adding to the effect is a solid wall of floor-to-ceiling glass windows overlooking the lake with the rocky peaks of the Sangre de Cristos just behind it. Despite it being one of the most active and centrally located buildings on campus, it seems like it’s actually a very mellow atmosphere and a really great place to study.

Wow.” Is all I manage as I look around the main floor.

“Pretty awesome, huh?” Cat begins leading the way to a spiraling staircase carved to look like organic, twisting tree limbs. The staircase twists its way through all three levels of the Student Union.

“Pretty breathtaking.” I reply in awe. “I can’t get over how beautiful this entire campus is and the fact that I actually live and go to school here.”

Cat steps down a few of the twisting stairs, stopping and turning to look back up to me. “Don’t sell yourself short, Cai. This place doesn’t just let anyone in. You earned your place here.”

“I know.” I reply, feeling a little deflated. “But it’s just so different than where I’m from. People from Mesa don’t end up in places like this. It’s not normal. I’m still adjusting, that’s all.” I halfway smile at her.

“Well, Cailan. I think it’s pretty safe to say that anyone who ends up here isn’t exactly normal.” She states matter-of-factly. “I mean, we students here are literally the brightest of the bright.”

“True.” I nod, failing to think of a better reply.

In your case, Cailan, that would be bright with a side serving of mental.

I think my inner-self can jump off the top of this staircase with a little help of a push from me.

“The bookstore’s this way, down the stairs,” Cat says, snapping me back into reality.

We make our way down the broad, twisting staircase and into the expanse of the basement of the Student Union. The basement houses not only the bookstore, but an apparel store, computer/technology store, and a coffee bar. The sweet aroma of coffee beans is heavy in the air.

We enter the bookstore. It’s smaller than I expected it to be. A little less grand and lot more college. Textbooks and materials are meticulously stacked and arranged on rows of metal shelves tightly packed together with barely enough space to walk between them. There are a handful of students in here. Most others, I assume, are still at the welcome assembly.

It’s easy to navigate the small store and with the help of one of the student workers, I am able to find all of the books and materials I need for each of my classes. Cat makes just as quick of work with her list as well.

She and I, arms loaded with textbooks, head to the registers to pay. Cat stands in line ahead of me. She turns around, glancing at the stack of textbooks I’m trying not to drop everywhere and asks, “How many hours are you taking?”

“Sixteen�"five classes. Biology is a four-hour course with a lab.”

“Bio One?”

“Yeah,” I answer, “with Dr. Atanasov, I think. I’ll have to check my schedule when my hands are a little less occupied.” I adjust the weight of the heavy stack of books in my arms.

“I took that with him last year. He’s very by the book, but I think you’ll like him. His labs are great.” She says as she drops her stack of books with a loud thud on the counter to pay.

“Haha, I hope I’ll enjoy it. I’m sure I’ll have lots of questions for you.”

“It’s what I’m here for.” She smiles at me over her shoulder and swipes her card to pay.

Cat moves to the side and waits for me as I complete my transaction. I slightly panic at the sight of the $577.68 bill of textbooks and materials.

I thank God I’ve got a scholarship to cover the cost. There’s no way I would be able to swing this if not. What’s crucial is that I know I have to keep a 3.7 G.P.A. in order to maintain the scholarship. If not, then I’ll be shipped back home quicker than the blink of an eye, tail tucked between my legs.

I finish paying for my books and we make our way back up the winding staircase to the main floor. The warm afternoon sun is filtering through the aspens and pines and shining through the large windows of the building. It is casting a soft golden, almost heavenly, glow across the bright white and cream-colored furniture.

It’s very peaceful in here.

I walk over to the wall of windows and Cat follows me.

“Gorgeous, isn’t it?” She asks me as she moves to stand next to me.

I breathe out a relaxed breath. “It’s breathtaking. This whole place is. It’s hard to believe that a place like this even exists.” I say as I stare out at the blue-green water of the placid lake. The day is warm and still. Not even the slightest breeze is fluttering through the aspens.

Cat looks out the window and smiles. “There’s a lot of beauty in this world, Cai�"not just in Red River. You just have to allow yourself to see it.”

I nod my head in response. Her words are true. Maybe instead of trying so hard to distance myself from Mesa and its memories, I should allow myself to see the beauty in who I am and where I come from. With that thought playing in my mind my hand absently finds the delicate turquoise stone of my mother’s necklace resting at the base of my neck. I haven’t removed it yet, and I don’t plan on ever doing so. I rub my index finger and thumb across the cool, smooth surface of the stone.

This is all for us mom. I promise to make you proud of me.

Cat nudges me with a sharp elbow. “This day is too gorgeous to waste away not having any fun. Let’s go put our books up in the room and go into town. There’s a super cute boutique I want to check out and a great little diner we can grab dinner from.”

“You’re still hungry?” I ask, turning to face her. Her eyes glow in the bath of golden sunlight.

Cat shrugs her shoulders. “I’m not that hungry right now, but I will be after shopping!”

I laugh at her. “Okay, I’m down for that. I don’t mind browsing around while you shop til you drop.”

Cat narrows her bright amber eyes at me. “Hey, you may find something you like there as well. They’ve got a lot of really cute and affordable things.”

“We’ll see.” I shrug my shoulders at Cat in response but offer a small laugh. At any rate, I know I will at least enjoy spending the time with Cat and forming our friendship.

 

 

 

 

 



© 2018 T.M. Loftis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

54 Views
Added on February 11, 2018
Last Updated on February 11, 2018
Tags: Young adult, new adult, fantasy, romance, fiction


Author

T.M. Loftis
T.M. Loftis

Writing
One One

A Chapter by T.M. Loftis


Two Two

A Chapter by T.M. Loftis


Three Three

A Chapter by T.M. Loftis