Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

A Chapter by T.M. Loftis

 

 

Cat and I had dumped our haul of books off in our suite and are now in her pearlescent white Range Rover. I find myself admiring the opulence of the SUV’s interior. It has plush, black leather bucket seats with camel-tan trim and details. The dash and doors are trimmed in a lustrous woodgrain. The shiny silver instruments and gauges gleam in the beams of sunlight coming through the front windshield. This is by far the nicest vehicle I’ve ever been in. But, of course Cat would have this car, it fits her perfectly.

“Oh my god, I love your car!” My voice screeches like a squeaky pre-teen girl.

“Not gonna lie, it’s pretty hot.” Cat replies with a cocky grin, shifting her dark shades in place and opening the moonroof.

“For sure!” I exclaim. “It compliments you style well, Cat.” I wink at her.

“Wanna drive?” She asks, not taking her eyes off of the winding road ahead.

I hesitate for a moment. “Haha, um, nooo…I’d be way too afraid I’d hurt your car somehow.” I cringe at the thought of getting behind the will of this vehicle. There’d be no way I could ever repay should I damage it even the slightest way.

A giggle escapes Cat. “Silly girl, I’d trust you with anything. Really though, if ever you want to, just say the words!” Her sparkling white teeth shine beneath her wide smile.

“Alright.” I’m not going to lie�"I’d love to drive it. But I’m just way too afraid to even try.

Cat rolls down all the windows and heads towards town. The purple streaks in her dark hair piled on top of her head stand out in the sunlight pouring in through the open windows. A few escaped strands fall around her shades and frame her face. I wonder to myself if there’s ever a moment of any day that she doesn’t look drop-dead gorgeous. I lift my chin toward the bright blue sky, visible through the open moonroof, close my eyes, and soak in the warm rays along with the mountain fresh air.

“I’m pretty sure life doesn’t get any better than this.” I point out as I tie the layers of my auburn hair back to keep it from flying all over the place as we drive through the winding mountain roads.

Cat smiles, “I sure can’t complain!”

She reaches for the stereo and turns the volume up. I can feel the deep bass bumping through the seat. “Gangster rap?” I ask, smiling suspiciously.

Cat eyes me out the side of her oversized designer shades and raises her voice over the music blasting from the speakers. “Everybody needs a little gangster rap in their lives. Don’t act like you don’t like it!” Laughter erupts form me and I roll my eyes at Cat. I wouldn’t expect anything less from her.

We wind our way through campus and towards the main entrance and make the drive down the narrow, tree-lined mountain road leading to the town of Red River. The towering pines and aspens hugging the shoulder of the paved road create an eerie feeling as we drive through them. I feel so small compared to the sizes of the monstrous trees and who knows what lies beyond them. We finally reach the main road of Red River and Cat hangs a sharp right and heads towards the boutique she had told me about.

Red River is a very small mountain village. It only has one main paved road that cuts a path right through the heart of the town. Restaurants and shops and tourist centers line both sides of the wide street. Several lodging places for the hoard of tourists that visit each ski season are mixed within them. Old-fashioned street lamps dot the entire length the road lending to the charming, quaint atmosphere of the village.

The summer tourist season has mostly come to an end and it’s still too early for the fall and winter tourists to be in, so the town is pretty dead today. There are no people wandering around the usually bustling sidewalks and past decorated store-fronts. We pass just two cars as we make our way down the street.

Cat slows and pulls into a small, dirt parking lot next to a shop whose windows are filled with dressed up mannequins and colorful jewelry displays. She puts the car in park. “We’re here!” Cat squeals. “I just love this place, it has some really unique finds!”

I get out of the car, push my sunglasses up on my head, and look up at the sign hanging above the purple-painted wooden door on the side of the building.

The Divine Doe

I laugh to myself at the name and wonder what the heck kind of store this must be. Cat must be able to read my mind because she quickly comes around the front of her car and chimes in, “I know the name is whatever but just trust me, it’s a pretty cool place.”

I knit my brows together at her justification. “After you.” I motion towards the weathered door.

Cat enters the store ahead of me. The old, wooden planks of the floor creak beneath her steps, and we are immediately greeted with a warm welcome from an older woman. I assume she must be the owner.

“Welcome! Welcome!” Her voice is raspy with age, yet kind. The tiny woman steps out from behind the register. “Well if it isn’t Miss Catriona! Would you just look at yourself. Just as lovely as ever!” She embraces Cat in a tight hug. Cat, still in her wedges, towers over the woman who is barely five feet tall, if even that.

“Hi, Miss Sybil!” Cat exclaims excitedly. “I’ve missed you so much! I couldn’t wait to get back here to visit you again.” Cat and the woman continue their friendly embrace.

The woman steps back slightly, peers up at Cat, and smiles endearingly. Then her eyes move to me. “Well. Where have my manners gone?” She walks over to me, with a slight limp of age, and extends a small, frail hand. I take it gently in mine. “The name’s Sybil Saint Michaels.”

“Hello, Ms. Saint Michaels. I’m Cailan Murray, Cat’s new roommate.” I do my best to sound proper, grown-up, and respectful.

“The pleasure’s all mine, Cailan.” She smiles warmly at me, her skin wrinkling around her eyes. “But please call my Miss Sybil, all my friends do. Ms. Saint Michaels makes me sound old. And I certainly don’t feel that way!” She winks at me and releases her hand from mine.

 “That’s the outlook to have, Ms. Sybil!” I reply, laughing at her humor.

She smiles and winks again. Her oversized bifocals take up most of her face beneath her short, white curls. I realize that her eyes are a strange shade of bluish-purple. With the late afternoon sunlight filtering in through the store windows, they almost look lavender in color. At first thought I begin to think how strange this is. However, I seem to be surrounded by uniquely beautiful people, so maybe I’m just the oddball in this equation.

She places her hands on her rounded hips and looks up at each of us. “Now don’t let this ol’ woman stop you from enjoying your time in here. I’ll be behind the counter if you girls need anything.”

“Thanks, Miss Sybil.” Cat fondly replies.

Cat and I begin to browse through the racks and display tables stuffed full of all sorts of attire and accessories. I have to admit, she was right. These clothes are really cute and fairly priced. I may just walk out of here with something after all.

Cat, not to my surprise, immediately begins pulling clothes from racks in varying shades of pink. I browse the length of a table set up with displays of jewelry of all sorts. Not being a big fan of wearing jewelry, especially the chunky pieces, I find a beautiful pair of small studs made of a garnet colored stone. I check the price tag on the back and find that they are actually affordable. Garnet is my birthstone, so I talk myself into purchasing them.

“Cai!” Cat squeals at me from across the room. She’s holding up a soft, chiffon halter top in a not-so-bad shade of blush pink. “This!” She comes rushing over to me, barely missing running into the edge of a display table, with her arms full of other articles of clothing. “This is soooo you!” She holds the halter up in front of me.

I take the hanger from her hand and study shirt. It is lovely, even if it is pink. The soft chiffon gathers around the neck of the halter in a band of sparkling jewels. Shades of red and pink stones encrust the band. “It is very pretty.”

Cat begins to beg. “Please try it on! It’s the perfect color for your fair complexion. It will make you glow!” Her amber eyes are wide and bright, convincing me with excitement alone.

I look for the price tag but before I can turn it over to see the price, Cat interjects. “It’s totally affordable, I already checked!” I grab the tag from her hand and see that it is priced as being on sale for twenty-four dollars.

“See!” Cat chimes, already leading me towards the fitting rooms.

“Okay, okay. I’ll try it on. But you should know, I’m just not that into pink.” I confess as we make our way around a shoe display.

We each enter our fitting rooms, I pull the lavender curtain close behind me and begin to try on the blogs. I hang the chiffon blouse on a white metal hook and take a seat on a fuchsia, velvet-topped bench.  I decide to opt for the element of surprise and not look in the small, rectangular mirror in my room until I have the halter top completely on. I fasten the clasp around my neck and turn to face the mirror.

Cat was right. This is gorgeous.

Look at you! Cai, breaker of hearts, slayer of Brayan.

I am completely shocked to see that the blouse does just as Cat said it would. The blush rose color gives my pale skin a healthy and radiant glow and fits perfectly, showing just enough skin around my shoulders to be a little edgy and appealing without looking s****y. The cluster of jewels on the collar reflect light and illuminate in feminine reds and pinks.

I pull back the lavender curtain and step out of my fitting room at the same time Cat steps out of hers. She’s in a short rose-red romper that adequately shows every inch of her long, tan and toned legs. There’s not a model in the world that can compete with Cat.

“Girl! Look at you!” She purrs, walking in a slow circle around me, amber eyes roaming up and down my body. Coming to a stop next to me, we both face a wall-length mirror next to the dressing rooms.

She places her hands on her hips, posing and turning, admiring her reflection before turning to me. “Cai, you have to get this halter! If you don’t, I will buy it for you! Just look at yourself in that color!”

I run my hands down the sides of the of the blush chiffon. The delicate fabric soft and silky beneath my fingertips. “It is really pretty, but I don’t know if I’d ever wear it. It’s not really my style.” I admit as I catch her golden gaze through the mirror’s reflection.

Cat rolls her eyes, “Oh, shush it. You’re going to get this shirt and you’re going to make all the little boys on campus wish they knew Cailan Murray.” The edges of her glossy pink lips turn up in a mischievous grin.

She releases my auburn hair out of its ponytail and quickly twists the layers around in a messy bun and secures it on top of my head. “See, you can’t deny how hot you look right now.”

Cat’s compliment makes my cheeks stain with a blush. I’ve never considered myself to be hot, but this blouse does make me feel pretty.

My fingers find the small turquoise stone around my neck as I begin to wonder what my mom would think. This blouse kind of reminds me of her. She was always the more elegant and classy one out of the two of us. It looks like something she’d try to convince me into getting.

“Cute necklace.” Cat comments, standing beside me and spying the precious stone.

I hold the cool stone between my fingers. “Thanks. It was my mom’s. She wore it every day. My Uncle Ollie gave it to me yesterday.”

“May I?” Cat asks softly as she motions for a closer look.

I drop the stone and allow Cat to take it in her hand and examine it.

She carefully studies each side of the small stone, first the front and then the back. As she turns it back over, I notice that her eyes widen slightly and the golden rings around her pupils blaze brilliantly and rapidly before returning to normal.

That’s weird.

Before I can even begin to wonder any more about Cat’s reaction to the stone, she begins to interrogate me with a series of questions.

“Do you know where your mom got that necklace?” She sounds overly curious.

“Um, no. She, uh, she’s had it for as long as I can remember.” I try not to be thrown off by Cat’s strange interest in the necklace.

“So you don’t know if it’s like a family heirloom or if she bought it somewhere?”

“No, I have no idea. I just know she used to wear it all the time.”

She continues quizzing me. “And you said your uncle gave it to you yesterday?”

“Yeah, right before he left.”

She crosses her arms, slightly narrowing her eyes. “You said your mom died when you were ten, so he had it all these years and never showed it to you before yesterday?”

“He said he found it in a box of her stuff not too long ago and thought that yesterday would be the perfect day to give it to me. He and I had both been looking for it for a long time, we just assumed it was lost forever.”

I wonder why she’s taking such interest in my necklace�"why she even cares.

As if she can read the questions in my mind, Cat plasters a smile on her face. It doesn’t reach her eyes. “Well, I just think it’s absolutely beautiful and you are lucky to have something so special to remember your mom by.” Her voice is light and bubbly, back to normal.

I smile and lightly place my hand over the stone at the base of neck.

Cat spins around, facing the mirror and quickly changing the subject. “What do you think about this romper?”

Slightly taken aback by the sudden change of pace in the conversation I reply, “I think you’ve got to get it. It screams Cat Brown. I mean if I had legs like yours, I’d never keep them undercover.” I smile at her though my mind is still plagued by her strange response to my necklace.

Cat struts towards her fitting room and pauses just before entering through the curtain. “You know, Cai. You’ve gotta give yourself a little more credit. You’re way more beautiful than you think you are.”

I go back my fitting room, pulling the curtain closed behind me and change back into my shirt. Cat’s strange behavior and barrage of questions about my necklace play on repeat in my mind.

I finally convince myself to brush it off as it being Cat’s way of getting to know me a little better. After all, she was just trying to connect the story together. I can’t forget that she’s not had the easiest of lives or the best family dynamics, either. Even though I lost my mom, I have so many fond memories of her. Cat has both of her parents and nothing really to show from it.

That’s the way to look at it, Cai. Always remember to count your blessings.

Before I leave the fitting room, I pull my phone out of my bag and text Uncle Oliver. He should be getting close to home by now.

Hey! Just checking in�"had a

good time at the welcome earlier.

Out shopping w/Cat now.

I hit send, shove my phone into my back pocket, and pick up the halter top. I catch my reflection in the mirror on my way out. My hair is still knotted in a messy bun. My cheeks are flushed and my eyes look tired. I glance down at my necklace. The small turquoise pendants rests delicately at the top of my chest against the silvery-grey fabric of my tank. Why did Cat have so many strange questions about it?

Cat is already at the register, credit card in hand. Somehow, she’s managed to acquire a mountain of clothes to buy, most of which I never even saw her pick up or try on. I can barely even see Sybil from behind the barrage of clothes on the counter.

“Hey, Cai?” Cat asks from the counter across the room as I go to pick up the earrings I found earlier.

“Yeah?”

“I was thinking maybe we’d head on over to the diner from here? It’s almost 5:30 and it can get crowded really quickly because it’s kinda small inside.”

“Okay.” I reply as I pick up the earrings and head to the register.

“Pretty girl, did you find everything you were looking for?” Miss Sybil’s lavender eyes stare up at me. She’s barely taller than the top of the register sitting on the counter.

“I did, thank you.” I say with a smile.

She begins to ring up my total. “Forgive me for being a nosey, old broad, but I recall that you said your last name is Murray. Is that right?” She looks at me over the top of her large, round bifocals.

“Yes ma’am, it is.”

“You wouldn’t by chance be related to Fiona, would you?” She looks at me, expectation playing in her lavender-blue eyes.

I smile, slightly thrown off by her question. I wonder how she knows my mom. “Uh, yes. She’s my mom.”

“Oh, I just had a feeling that you’re her daughter. I remember her quiet well, and you favor her so much. It’d be hard to convince me that you’re not her daughter.”

“Thank you.” I say, willing the scarred cover inside of me to remain shut and keep my emotions in check.

“I was absolutely heart broken when I found out about her terrible accident. She was such a lovely young woman. Beautiful on the inside and out. She used to shop here all of the time when she was in college. Guess I kind of tell my age with that.” She giggles.

Don’t cry. Don’t cry. Don’t cry.

“Thank you again, Miss Sybil.” I manage quietly as I grab the handles of the plastic bag she’s placed by blouse and earrings in. “She was a very beautiful woman and I’ve heard so many wonderful things about her since I’ve been here. I miss her so much, but it’s nice to be in a place where her memory is alive.” I smile genuinely at Miss Sybil and turn to look at Cat who has tears welling up in her darkened eyes.

Please, Cat. Don’t.

I think Miss Sybil can tell I’m trying really hard to keep my emotions at bay because she politely changes the topic. “You two beauties better run along now, before the diner fills up. If I remember correctly, it’s green chile cheeseburger night. You know how big of a hit those are ‘round these parts.” She winks a beady, lavender eye at us.

“Thank you, Miss Sybil,” Cat replies. “We’ll be back soon! Take care!”

Smiling at Miss Sybil I say, “Yes, thank you. It was a pleasure meeting you.”

A distant look clouds her lavender-blue eyes making them appear stormy. “The pleasure’s all mine, dear. Don’t be a stranger.”

I smile at her, wondering about that look, and turn to follow Cat out the door.

“Bye, again!” Cat sings out as she pulls the wooden door shut behind us, the bell at the top rings in our wake.

My phones buzzes in my back pocket from Oliver’s reply.

Hey! Just got to Jal.

Glad u are having fun!

Gonna stop by the

deli & get a salad to eat.

Will send a pic to prove

my words ;)

I laugh to myself and put my phone in my cross-body. I can’t believe he’s actually taking the food picture thing seriously.



© 2018 T.M. Loftis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

49 Views
Added on February 13, 2018
Last Updated on February 13, 2018
Tags: Young adult, new adult, fantasy, romance, fiction


Author

T.M. Loftis
T.M. Loftis

Writing
One One

A Chapter by T.M. Loftis


Two Two

A Chapter by T.M. Loftis


Three Three

A Chapter by T.M. Loftis