"When Skies Are Grey(The Sunshine Song)"

"When Skies Are Grey(The Sunshine Song)"

A Poem by TadKent
"

A song I wrote for Lisa. I hope it explains a little of our story to you.

"

The other night dear, while I lay sleeping

I dreamt I held you in my arms.

When I awoke love, I was mistaken.

So I hung my head, and I cried.

 

Where did today go?

 

I've been trying to find a way love,

To say "I'm sorry" without the words.

It's just a song dear, but I'm hoping

It'll heal at least a little of the hurt.

 

Where'd that sunshine go?

 

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine

You make me happy when skies are grey.

You'll never know dear, how much I love you.

Please don't take my sunshine away.

 

I've been thinking something lately,

That if I've got you everday...

What's my excuse then, what's my problem?

Why are any days grey in the first place?

 

 

© 2010 TadKent


Author's Note

TadKent
Sung to the classic tune (mostly).

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Ya know I downloaded that song and added it to my itunes last night. Interesting interpretation of the song and it's meaning. I like how you combine it with your own feelings, but I, personally, think that you can go far deeper into your own emotion. I think that the things you say, especially in the last few lines are lacking some spark that I'm pretty sure you could give it if you dug deep enough. You've got a lot of talent. I like reading your work... but I think everyone, a lot of writers, are afraid to hit that dark nerve that really digs into wounds. I suspect there is a wound here somewhere. Embrace it. Dig into it. And this poem will be amazing.

Be careful using so many lines of an already popular song in your work.

Thank you for sharing.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Very very sweet. I love it, interpreting the song into it was brilliant.

Posted 13 Years Ago


very romantic...so sorry we all have to go thru heartache...

Posted 13 Years Ago


i do love this song :D


Posted 13 Years Ago


Such a an age old question and the saddest song of old............A lovely write my new friend

Posted 13 Years Ago


it's odd how we can have everything we've ever wanted, but something goes wrong. maybe we feel compelled to ruin what's good.
it's as if we feel that we don't deserve what we have. so we get rid of it, or just create tension without meaning to.

the last stanza is my favorite.



Posted 13 Years Ago


actually, i quite like the idea of this.. tho instead of the usual popular song version.. i keep hearing this in a very forlorn, twangy, appalachian voiced porch song.. minimal instrumentation, just the voice and some plucked strings.. but the itchy sort of twang is a must *grin* draw it out so it is mostly unrecognizable with less emphasis on the trad melody, sweeping it gently into the soft refrain we all know so well.. like you'd hear from tom brousseau. you know? i could hear him singing something like this..

well done, truly..



Posted 13 Years Ago


This is good. I know most of what you are saying because I know who you are talking about.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I read Dawn's comment, and I totally know what she means... but I'm sure the sunshine song is public domain (SURELY) by now. I like the sweet nature of this, but we don't know what you're saying sorry for, as readers. That would be a super juicy insight, however, I don't think a song in the tune of "My Only Sunshine" is the appropriate venue for expressing such. Maybe that's just me. I liked it regardless.
KH

Posted 13 Years Ago


Ya know I downloaded that song and added it to my itunes last night. Interesting interpretation of the song and it's meaning. I like how you combine it with your own feelings, but I, personally, think that you can go far deeper into your own emotion. I think that the things you say, especially in the last few lines are lacking some spark that I'm pretty sure you could give it if you dug deep enough. You've got a lot of talent. I like reading your work... but I think everyone, a lot of writers, are afraid to hit that dark nerve that really digs into wounds. I suspect there is a wound here somewhere. Embrace it. Dig into it. And this poem will be amazing.

Be careful using so many lines of an already popular song in your work.

Thank you for sharing.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I think I might understand this differently since you once told me about you and Lisa >w<
But heck, here's my perspective anyways :P
It's a simple but very well done and sweet peace, it does exactly what you wanted it to and the metaphors are beautiful. Oh yeah, and I love the ending :D
Great Work ^-^
-Cathrine

Posted 13 Years Ago



3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1942 Views
30 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 26, 2010
Last Updated on June 26, 2010
Tags: sunshine you are my sunshine lov

Author

TadKent
TadKent

Fresno, CA



About
I'm a twenty-one year old musician from Fresno, California. I've been in an incredible relationship with the Love of my life for three years now, so I am very much taken. I write all kinds of things, .. more..

Writing
Lisas Letter Lisas Letter

A Story by TadKent


Monsters Monsters

A Poem by TadKent


Ghosts Ghosts

A Poem by TadKent



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Sneak Peek. :) Sneak Peek. :)

A Chapter by TadKent


Its Okay Its Okay

A Poem by Moflo