Chapter 4: Family leaves, mayhem begins

Chapter 4: Family leaves, mayhem begins

A Chapter by Tali Katzman

As I was sitting in my room everything was still, but my mind was racing. I couldn't let it go, this thing that I want to reach for.

'To be a time lord' I mouthed the words, shutting my eyes and running my hands through my hair, exhaling deeply.

Suddenly I got startled and quickly stood up, hearing the sounds of luggages being dragged on the floor. I rolled my eyes, 'great they are leaving', I said dismissively with no emotion and returned to lying on my bed.

"Sweetie we are leaving", my mom shouted from downstairs, but I didn't answer, I just kept staring at the ceiling, absent minded.

Suddenly I heard footsteps, someone climbing up the stairs slowly, and then I heard the sound of the door handle turning.

"Hey sport", my dad said, as he came in, dressed in a long sleeved shirt and jeans with snickers.

"I'm ok", I said with an exhale turning around to see that my dad has moved from the door and was now sitting on the bed beside me.

"It’s going to be ok sport", my dad said with a sympatric smile while messing my hair and patting me on the shoulder, which kind of hurt.

"Yeah dad, sure", I said with half a smile looking at the floor and then at my dad, who was still giving me a sympathetic look, and I just couldn’t take it. I scooted further away from him, his arm sliding away from my shoulder, and when he tried to resist, I stood up.

"No dad stop", I said as I stood up and walked across the room to my window.

When I looked outside I saw my mom and sister uploading the car, which made me give a big sigh of despair, and then I saw my dad's reflection through the window glass walking towards me, rubbing the bridge of his noise, which he always does when he tries to keep himself in check, so I knew I was making him pretty upset.

"Listen Sport."

"Randy, dad."

"Randy" ,my dad repeated not too happily.

It usually takes a lot out of me to upset my dad in the slightest, I guess today I'm on a roll, getting grounded for the weekend while my family goes on vacation in the lake house, AND upsetting my dad right before, I should get an award or something.

"I'm sorry dad I'm just, you know angry", I said as I kept looking at what was going on outside, the sun descending, leaving the sky colored in soft strokes of bright orange and red, Twilight.

 I noticed the other houses, looking exactly alike, turning on the lights around the house as natural light began to slowly disappear, the lawns colored as the sky, the piles of dead leaves long gone.

 The kids were returning from playing outside because their parents wouldn’t let them play in the dark, the sounds of a normal busy sunburn neighborhood slowly winding down into calmness.

I gave one long sign at this regular sight that I always see through my bedroom window and I always feel like for me, time stands for something different then other people do. It's hard to explain, like explaining what a certain color is, it's just is.

"What are you angry about Randy?" my dad asked which startled me, breaking my train of thought.

"Nothing dad, everything's perfect", I said dismissively, looking at my dad's grin expression through the reflection of the window.

"Well, I guess we will have to continue this conversation when I get home."

I smiled a sly smile, yeah , he is probably thinking what I thought, counseling ,'can't believe my own dad thinks I'm crazy', I thought while shaking my head and rolling my eyes, which luckily my dad didn’t see because he already left my room.

I kept looking outside the window, the sun has completely gone now, leaving complete darkness behind except for the neighborhood, which was lighted by street lights and the of the light from the houses' windows.

I saw my family, looking like little busy ants packing everything for the vacation at the lake, I caught a glance of my sister who was helping mom put another beg inside the back car door, and I took one arm, made a small round with my fingers right around her figure and made a fist, imagining I was squishing her like a bug.

I kept my face planted to the glass's window looking as the car was slowly making its way from the driveway onto the main road disappearing in a few seconds, when I caught the last glimpse of the car I stood bold upright.

 "That's it, they are gone, and I'm alone, at home, with no adult supervision…"

I said to myself as I looked at the darkness outside. Then I got my face of the window.

"Ha", I laughed, seeing that I left a mark on the window, a perfect imprint of my face.

"Cool", I said as I rubbed my hands on the imprint.

"Mmm…." I thought as I turned to face my room which messy filled with papers scattered all across the floor, clothes sticking out of the closet's cabinets, the usual stuff.

"10:47", I said, looking at the watch that was sitting on the cabinet next to the bed.

"Well…" I said to myself, as sly smile spreading across my face, and rubbing my hands together.

" The night is still young , might as well make the most of it".

 

Now I know what you're thinking, any typical teenager given the chance to have the house all for their own disposal for the weekend they will probably invite over the entire student body, turn on the music to full volume and party until the sun doesn’t shine.

Well, I'm not like any typical teenager, if I would come up with a guest list I would have amm…zero people to invite. My idea of the perfect weekend is to spend my every waking hour drawing, listening to music, reading my favorite books or surfing online, and if I really want to let loose, I put my feet on top of the living room table.

So that's what I did basically for the first hour, but got bored pretty quickly. I mean how I can enjoy killing Zombies if I know my family is going to spend the weekend in the Lake House, hiking, fishing and swimming and oohhh man!

"NO!!" I screamed as I came out of my day dream to discover I let my guard down and was eaten by a killer Zombie. "Man I almost finished the level", I said in frustration, and threw the console on the sofa and turned off the TV.

So there I was, just sitting aimlessly on the living room sofa, staring at the empty TV screen, hearing the ticking of the father clock that was sitting from across the living room.

"Tick,Tick,Ti…"

"Wait what", I said, then tried to hear more carefully, yeah that's what I thought, the father clock stopped working, wait what?!

"The thing never stopped working, ever" .I said to myself in utter confusion.

"I must be losing my mind or something from pure boredom, what time is it anyway?"I said to myself after letting out a sigh and rubbing my eyes, looking at the direction of the father clock.

"Hey cool", I said, the clock stopped, just one second from midnight.

"Wow midnight, maybe I should get some sleep", I said as I climbed from the comfortable couch with considerable effort nearly tripping over myself and yawning, and suddenly I heard a loud crash coming from upstairs, from my room.

"What the hell", I said with alarm, fully awake I ran like the wind, taking the stairs two at a time, nearly falling in the process then ran through the corridor bursting through my bedroom door to find…nothing.

I looked around the room, panting and breathing heavily, scanning for anything out of place. I couldn’t find anything out of the ordinary, the room seemed like it was in its usual massy state, the only thing different is that the window was wide opened.

"Oh, the wind must have blasted it open", I said with a long sigh, imagining I was going to find, I don't know an alien or a killer Zombie in my room waiting to kill me, I play way too many video games.

As I was walking across the room to shut the window, feeling the chilly breeze running through it, I caught a glance of my watch, it stopped.

"No way", I said in utter confusion, how can both clocks stop at the exact same time, I mean the electricity is working, all the lights are on. I looked around my room, and looked at the living room, all the lights were on but the watches stopped?

I was rubbing my head, squinting hard to stay awake, and then I thought that maybe I'll worry about the lights later, when I wake up or something. I went back up the stairs into my room, and when I turned the light's switch, the light wouldn’t go off.

I stopped, played with the switch for a bit in frustration, hitting it with all my force.

"What the hell is going on?" the watches stopped, the light won't go off? Maybe I'm not the only one who is having this problem, I decided to look outside the window, maybe see people walking outside with dazes expressions on their faces, wondering what's going on too. So I opened the window, but there was no wind.

"Weird", but I decided to let that slide, having no wind is the least of my problems.

I looked outside, and saw nothing, just pitch blackness, no movement, no life, no nothing. Suddenly I felt a gust of wind and a blurry dark shape fly through the window, and when I looked into my room to see what it was, I screamed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 



© 2010 Tali Katzman


Author's Note

Tali Katzman
It's just a two page dreft,I'll post the whole chapter this weekend.

*Not edited

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"Hey sport", my dad said, as he came in, dressed in a long sleeved shirt and jeans with snickers.
"Snickers" is a delicious peanut chocolate candy bar.
This line had me laughing for about 5 minutes, no lie.
But on a more serious note,
I may have stated this before but paragraphing your story might make it flow better. The time it takes a reader's eyes to travel from one line breaker to the beginning of the next line could be the determining factor in whether they want to continue reading or not.
Story alone, still a very cool idea and it has potential.


Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I wasn't terribly thrilled by this chapter. It needs more tension, with the real story coming soon.

Posted 13 Years Ago


this is wonderful. i can't stop reading. for a while i had a thought of writing something linked to doctor who and just thought it odd. well not any more ^_^

Posted 13 Years Ago


your story is coming together nicely. I like this line from the story, "if I really want to let loose, I put my feet on top of the living room table." it made me laugh. :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


hehe, loved the end bit. I want to read more now, and I will xD
hahaha snickers...
a good chapter! basic storyline, though it was still interesting



Posted 13 Years Ago


"I saw my mom and sister uploading the car," Uploading, how does this work? lol

I really like this story...having read it a few times now. This is a good chapter as it really starts to hook the reader.....

Posted 13 Years Ago


i like where this is going.....i am still reading it which is a good sign. I know you have some clean up to do but i like it so far.....

Posted 13 Years Ago


LOL at Christian's review. He's so silly to point that out, but I'm glad he did because I probably wasn't going to catch that you meant sneakers if he didn't. I love and hate the cliff-hanger ending at the same time. It's interesting the way this Time Lord process is starting. Clocks stop (which I could see coming), but then the world fell into pitch blackness too. I'm wondering what those key details are going to lead to in the complete story. I was amused by the "if I really want to let loose, I'd puy my feet up." The main thing I enjoy about this story is how down to earth it is. This isn't a story that sounds like it was created by an AUTHOR, it sounds like it comes purely from the perspective of your main character. It's light-hearted, amusing, frustrating, captivating and an overall nice read. Keep it up.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Hmmm.I'll ignore the spelling mistakes.But there are others. Primarily,you keep on flipping btw first person & third person,especially in Chapter 2-1,which is a strict No-No.you might want to change the manuscript a bit to keep it all in first person.
Now I'll come to things I liked.Firstly,it wonderful what you've achieved at your age.You understand people,complex emotions,strange thoughts...Beautiful.You manage Randy exceptionally well,considering you're a girl.You sustain the suspense,weave a tight story along the plot,and pull off lots of tricks generally seen in mature writers.You've made a common plot into an interesting story,a rare feat.Your characters are intelligent,thoughtful,and realistic.Overall,this story has turned out to be a fantastic read.Hats off to you,Miss Katsman.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Nice, I like how you did the zombie bit, "NO!!" I screamed as I came out of my day dream to discover I let my guard down and was eaten by a killer Zombie.

I've had that happen to me so many times. ^_^

Little repetitive sometimes on the after thoughts (utter confusion), but I liked the surprise ending I wonder what it is.

Posted 13 Years Ago


"Hey sport", my dad said, as he came in, dressed in a long sleeved shirt and jeans with snickers.
"Snickers" is a delicious peanut chocolate candy bar.
This line had me laughing for about 5 minutes, no lie.
But on a more serious note,
I may have stated this before but paragraphing your story might make it flow better. The time it takes a reader's eyes to travel from one line breaker to the beginning of the next line could be the determining factor in whether they want to continue reading or not.
Story alone, still a very cool idea and it has potential.


Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

693 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 12, 2010
Last Updated on May 13, 2010


Author

Tali Katzman
Tali Katzman

About
I am a writer. Images race inside my mind and I just try to get them on paper.Music is my escape,helps me think and create a fantasy world. I write sci-fi/adventure/fantasy/fiction short stories.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Bleak Desire Bleak Desire

A Poem by r


The Storm The Storm

A Story by Adora.xo


I Wish I Wish

A Poem by Adora.xo