Chapter 5: I'm offered the job of a lifetime

Chapter 5: I'm offered the job of a lifetime

A Chapter by Tali Katzman

I couldn’t help myself but keep screaming at the top of my lunges; half hoping someone would hear me through the open window. Right in front of my closed bedroom door stood a crouched dark shape, wearing a long cloak covering its face, or it was I hoping was its face. The shape slowly started to rise, which made my heart beat even faster and now I was filling it in my throat.

My eyes were dead locked with fear as the shape reached its apparently full height, which wasn't that tall, and began to steadily approach me. I instinctively retreated, but there was nowhere to go, I could feel my back hit window's glass, which sent a chilling sensation through my body, my eyes opening wider with the shock of the cold.

I kept breathing slowly, as I was cornered, my visitor approaching slowly and now its covered face was just inches away from mine, my breathing was uncomfortably loud in compared to the dead silence that surrounded the room.

And then the figure pulled out its hands from its long cloak, but I was so scared I had my eyes shut. I could hear it taking off its cape, its dead cold breath felt like ice on my face, and I just couldn't resist, I had to open my eyes.

I slowly started opening my eyes and through the small slits I could just make out a blurry shape in front of me, and just as fast I shut then, taking a rapid intake of air, and started to whimper.

'Oh god,oh god' I thought in my head, why doesn’t this person attack already, I mean here I am standing helpless without anywhere to go.

'aaa….just take whatever you want and go!' I screamed with as much force as I could, though the fact that I was shaking like a leaf and had my eyes shut tight didn’t really make it sound very conveincing.

I   could still feel it just inches away from me, it's icy breath on my face making me goos bumpy all over. But for some reason I suddenly has this need, this urge to open my eyes, as if I was compelled but some kind of force. My body took a will of its own, ignoring the alarms that were going inside of my head 'what are you stupid!?" but my eyes wouldn’t listen, and finally they opened.

In front of me stood a girl, no older than me, a little taller I would have to uncomfortably admit, with the most stunning face I have ever seen. I couldn’t help but to just keep staring at her, that perfect pale heart shaped face and those big mesmerizing eyes of the purest blue, almost gray.

And she just looked at me! She stared at me right back, a beautiful sweet smile spreading on her face and her eyes lighting up, and mine just got wider with shock.

"What umm…." I started mumbling; remembering I actually had a voice, after that hypnotic feeling abruptly left me.

 

'You can see me, I mean really see me can't you?' she asked with a sweet voice, almost like honey.

"umm…what?!" is all  that came out of my mouth, I was so confused and lost , and in all this weird situation the only thought that crossed my mind was 'how the hell did this girl get into my room?!'

But apparently I wasn’t just thinking that, because, as if reading my mind, the girl was suddenly startled, as if she heard my inner voice shouting.

She came back to her senses and stepped close to me, if that was even possible, and I could still hear my breath through dead silence that surrounded us both, and with the smallest whisper she said.

“You want the job, don’t you?”

“What wait what job?” I asked, confused, ‘what in the world is she talking about a job?’

She stepped back looking at me with one eyebrow raised and her arms crossed, then she gave a small sign and as if I didn’t hear her the first time she repeated the question.

“Do you, Randy Burns want the job?”

She asked with an edge of anger to her voice, the sweetness fading slightly and her expression became a little more icy.

“What…wait, how do you know my name?” I asked urgently, ignoring her question completely, which set her off.

“Randy Burns, for years and years you have begged for this job, nagging and annoying, and now the time has finally come and you won't accept it?!”

"What JOB?!" I shouted at her, my voice echoing through the room.

"to become a time lord you nut!" she shouted back at me, but what came out was way more than an echo ,the whole room was shaking in response, the lights turning on and off, my watch kept changing times, things were falling from places, and when the trammeling finally stopped and I finally got my balance back after falling on the floor, I looked at her with the most series look.

“Yes Randy, you were chosen, finally.”

"Finally?"

“yes, I needed to wait for the perfect time, and this is that time”

'ha..I’m..what',I was at a complete loss of  words, the thing that I wanted ever since I could remember was actually a job, and here is a girl who is offering it to me because ‘it's time’?

As my mind drifted into different thoughts I was pacing around the room with my head either staring at the ceiling or at the floor. While I was shuffling along I could still feel her looking at me, waiting patiently.

"so, what do you say?" she asked with a smile, but not a sweet smile, but an alluring dark one.

I looked at her when she asked me that, and then I contemplated all my thoughts and simple asked:

“Prove it.”

Her smile remained the same, but it seemed as if she expected that response from me because she wasn’t the least bit surprised.

“As you wish Randy Burns”

Immediately I regretted my request for she grabbed me roughly by the arm and ran off to the direction of the door which suddenly burst open as a strong gust of wind blew through it out of nowhere. I didn’t have any time to react or even think of pulling my hand back as we ran through the corridor at top speed, and through the windows that were whizzing by I caught the most amazing sight I have ever seen. It’s as if time was set on fast forward, the moon coming down from the sky the sun replacing it and with it the darkness and the starts disappeared into twilight and then to daylight, the clouds mending themselves in their proper place.

I was shocked beyond words, which I couldn’t utter anyway since we were heading towards the top of the staircase at top speed.

"What are you doing?!" I shouted, but my words were lost as I saw the girl's shape suddenly become blurry and translucent, like a dark wind and suddenly I had this chilling feeling running through my entire body as if I was dissolving, and I was! My whole body disappeared, and the only thing I could feel were my mind and a blurry look of what was happening around me, and a second later I fell on the grass of my front lawn.

I was just lying there for what seemed a while.

 Suddenly aware of where I was and what just happened I checked myself to see if I was solid again, and when I realized I was still whole I gave the longest sigh of relief ever.

I didn't even get a chance to look around but when I tore my gaze away from the lawn I saw the most bizarre scene. Everything was still, and I mean not moving at all kind of standing still. All the cars who were on the road were just standing there, and I noticed that the fume coming out of them stopped in mid-air,all the people who were outside, stopped dead still, their expressions frozen and their bodies stopped in motion.

I was at a loss for words, which was happening pretty often that day.

As I rose from the grass suddenly I felt a cold gust of wind and there she was, that girl in the black cloak with the pale heart shaped face and cold icy blue gray eyes looking non-too shocked at what was going on around and simple said with a smile on her face looking back at me.

“Convincing enough?”

 



© 2010 Tali Katzman


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Good, fast, breathless chapter. I hope these two keep growing as characters.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Aha, I finally had time to read it. Very good, I noticed that your writing has gotten better over the past few chapters and this is a definite improvement. Salutes Comrade!

Posted 13 Years Ago


this is coming together perfectly....i can't get over this.

Posted 13 Years Ago


hehe, getting to the action now
a interesting chapter, I want to see how it all turns out. and I want to know more about this girl. haha, had fun reading the chosen bit, it was funny

An exciting chapter!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Tali, you need to make sure that when you start a sentence you start with caps......

Great job with the visual stuff though,,,,,

Posted 13 Years Ago


I like how this ends as well.......it makes me want to turn the page.....

Posted 13 Years Ago


wow....this is really changing direction big time isnt it? lol

this story is turning into a race against time life and death struggle. i like those.......

Your imagination is great!

Posted 13 Years Ago


I thought the force compelling him to open his eyes was a nice touch and it was kinda funny when the big bad mystery being turned out to be a gorgeous girl. Go figure. I was annoyed with her getting annoyed with him. I can see why it played out that way, but if it was me, I would've said, "B***h, do I look psychic to you? Expand on "the job" or gtfo my room." Ugh. I'm glad he snapped at her. I also liked how her smile changed from sweet to alluring and dark. I was amused by him asking her to prove it as if everything that happened to this point wasn't proof enough. This chapter was kinda exciting and very intriguing. It makes me want to know what happens next. Well done.

Posted 13 Years Ago


All grammar errors aside, I really like what I've read so far. In this chapter, the story has certainly taken an interesting spin. Also, you do a good job of writing in first-person narrative and capturing the perspective of the protagonist -- emotions, thoughts, reactions, etc. Overall, good job thus far!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Most of the beginning was incredibly boring, but now it's starting to show some promise. I'm still confused about the time lords. He says he wants to be one, but who are they really (in this story)? I mean, do ordinary people know they exist? Because that would answer if his desire was a legitimate possibility or just a hopeless wish.

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

723 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 27, 2010
Last Updated on May 27, 2010


Author

Tali Katzman
Tali Katzman

About
I am a writer. Images race inside my mind and I just try to get them on paper.Music is my escape,helps me think and create a fantasy world. I write sci-fi/adventure/fantasy/fiction short stories.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..