Friends Forever

Friends Forever

A Story by Tally

 

Billy and Ginger
 
Their relationship was most unusual. Often they were referred to as the “odd couple”. But still they remained friends, through thick and thin and were often caught lazing together, catching the rays of the hot fireball in the sky.
 
Their place was the yard, a mix of paving stones and grass. It wasn’t big but also not too small. It was quite old fashioned, with its outdated outbuildings, which often brought solace for them when they were caught in the odd unexpected downpour.
 
How they became friends in the first place was not known. They just sort of found each other, seeking comfort and companionship, spending the majority of their latter years together.
 
They were from totally different backgrounds. Ginger, in his younger days, was spry and quite athletic. He was known throughout the neighbourhood, often roaming the streets seeking fun and excitement. Billy, on the other hand was never a wanderer. His domain was and always had been the yard. He was a lot slower than Ginger, but he enjoyed being that way. Each to their own.
 
Sometimes, when they were together, one would annoy the other. As a penance the ‘annoyer’ would generally receive a clip around the head from the other. Sometimes, the spat would escalate and a fight would ensue. However, the latter was few and far between. They usually just preferred to enjoy the company of each other.
 
Billy was an out and out vegetarian, living a healthy lifestyle. Whilst Ginger was a meat and fish lover, the fish being his favourite dish. As a result, they rarely ate a meal together, just meeting up afterwards and chilling out together for the rest of the day.
 
Sadly, as mentioned, both Billy and Ginger were in the twilight of their days. Therefore, it was inevitable that one would pass before the other. Sadly, Billy was the first to go. Leaving Ginger to mourn the sad loss of his dear friend. Ginger was inconsolable, he went days mourning his loss. He lost his appetite and almost became a shadow of his former self. Although his other companions tried their best, they just couldn’t bring Ginger out of himself. He seemed to go off into his own little world, searching with all his might to find his dear friend, trying to convince himself that Billy was still there, just hiding.
 
The death of Billy had such a big impact on Ginger’s life that it wasn’t much longer before he too passed on. Age was against him and he just seemed to lose the will to live.
 
Billy and Ginger, who had been firm friends in life, were now once again reunited. Billy the rabbit and Ginger the cat were together again in heaven.

© 2008 Tally


Author's Note

Tally
Not too sure about this one. I felt it was something I wanted to write as it was based around a true story. My grandmother had both Billy and Ginger for pets when I was younger.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

193 Views
Added on April 1, 2008

Author

Tally
Tally

Watford, United Kingdom



About
I am a mother of three young children. I live, with my husband and our pet dog, Lucy. I am new to writing, although I have a very lively and vivid imagination, full of ideas for stories which have a.. more..

Writing
The nights The nights

A Poem by Tally


Lady Moon Lady Moon

A Poem by Tally


Dragon's Den Dragon's Den

A Poem by Tally