The Prince and the Pea

The Prince and the Pea

A Story by Tandakku
"

The story of a Prince desperate for a wife, who places a pea beneath the mattresses of his potential wives. He soon realizes that destiny can't be ignored when the Prince of Close By Kingdom comes by.

"

There once was a Prince who lived in the Close By Kingdom. He lived his life as any normal Prince would; he slept, he ate, he learned about his soon-to-be kingdom. He ate his vegetables every day, exercised every day, and played with his younger brother every day. All in all, he was a pretty normal Prince.

His father worried about him, however. For, though the prince lead a normal life, he had turned eighteen just that summer. Yet his son had turned no eye toward any princess.

Don’t get him wrong, the king wanted his son to be happy with his chosen bride, but the king was getting on in his years. The prince needed to marry, and he needed to do it soon.

And so the king decided to set up a test.

-----------------------------------------------------
Every day for three weeks, a Princess was introduced to the prince of Close By kingdom. Grand meals were made every night, while each woman presented impeccable manners and humility. The king was impressed with each girl, and each girl impressed with the prince.

Each girl was sent away in the end, however, because none could pass the test that the king set out for them. Each night the princess of the day slept on a bed comprised of a hundred stacked mattresses, which the prince would chivalrously help her onto. The princess knew not of the pea at the very bottom of those mattresses.

“A proper queen must be aware of everything.” The king explained to the prince.

But every morning when the king asked the princess how well she had slept, she would reply, “Very well, thank you.”

And so, one by one, they were turned away.

The king turned to his last option.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Soon the prince of Faraway Kingdom had arrived. Breathless and disheveled, though dressed in royal garb, the king nearly mistook him for a servant. For, though the prince of Faraway Kingdom exuded all the mannerisms his position called for, he was very plain. He possessed no remarkable features as the king believed the future queen of his kingdom should; his skin was pale and freckled, his shaggy hair a mottled brown. His frame still contained the gangly stature accredited to a newborn horse, though he had long outgrown his teenage years.

All in all, the king was not impressed. He frowned as he sent the prince of Faraway Kingdom to bed. If this Prince were to become queen, was the queen not supposed to poised and beautiful?
-------------------------------------------------------------------
The next morning the prince of Faraway Kingdom joined the king and his son at the breakfast banquet. None said a word for a few minutes, though the king’s son shot worried glances at the prince.

“How did you sleep, Prince?” the king asked around a mouthful of fruit.

The prince turned mottled brown eyes on the king. Another plain feature of the prince, the king thought. The prince paused, frowning. “Actually,” he began, considering his words, “Not well.”

The king’s fork stopped halfway to his mouth. His son looked up from where he had been staring nervously at the tabletop. “What?” The prince of Close By kingdom wheezed.

The prince of Faraway Kingdom looked at the prince of Close By kingdom. He seemed relieved to be talking to the prince instead of the king. Nonetheless, the king’s gaze bore into the side of his head. “I didn’t sleep well. I tossed and turned all night. I had the distinct feeling that there was a lump right in the middle of the mattress!”

The king’s son grinned. “Would you like to stay another night?”

The prince of Faraway Kingdom matched his smile. “Of course.”
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
The king groaned as he watched his son and their guest interact. Their guest had been with them for only three weeks, but it seemed that, to his son, he had known him his entire life.

The wedding was set for the weekend, and though the prince had passed his test, the king could not find it in himself to be happy for it. His son seemed so happy, and yet…

The king wished he could get the prince out of his kingdom. He did not want such a plain person to represent his kingdom, it simply could not be good.

Something needed to be done.
----------------------------------------------------------------
And so, every night that week, the king planted the pea under the mattresses of the prince of Faraway Kingdom. The king simply knew the prince had peeked the first time.

Yet every day the prince joined them at breakfast, he seemed tired. He simply grew worse and worse throughout the week, until finally falling asleep right on the table.

The king had no choice but to admit that the prince could feel the pea beneath his mattress.
--------------------------------------------------------
The wedding was the most grand and beautiful that the nation had seen so far. Both Princes, even the prince of Faraway Kingdom, were stunning. A bit of make up went a long way.

The king remained dutifully silent throughout the ceremony, until…

“If anyone has any objection to his marriage, let him or her speak, lest they be silent-“

“I object.” The king felt that, as king, this was his duty.

The king’s son turned to look at him, betrayal painted across his face. The prince’s bride-to-be kept his gaze dutifully on the ground. “What do you mean?”

“He cannot be the queen of our kingdom. I forbid it.” The king declared, and though the ceremonial hall had been silent before, it somehow got quieter.

“But… He’s perfect! He passed the test!” The king’s son cried, gesticulating wildly. His bride-to-be had yet to move.

“He is not right for this kingdom. You need to leave now, Prince.” The king stated contritely. A collective gasp seemed to resonate around the room.

The prince of Faraway Kingdom left the room without a word. And though the king of Close By kingdom felt satisfaction that he had saved his son from a bad choice, this satisfaction quickly left him by the next day.

For, the next day, the king awoke to find his son had run away.

© 2009 Tandakku


Author's Note

Tandakku
Constructive criticism welcomed. A better, longer version of this story will be made (this is more of the children's version).

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Rae
Love it, love it, love it!!! Can't wait for the longer version.

Posted 13 Years Ago


cant wait for the longer version...i liked this very much

Posted 14 Years Ago


This was pretty cool to read. I liked it ^_^

Posted 14 Years Ago


It was good, I like the story. :]

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

332 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on June 12, 2009