The Mystery of Roanoke Chpt 1.

The Mystery of Roanoke Chpt 1.

A Chapter by Tate Viviano
"

Chapter one of the mystery.

"
The sky cried out one cold winters day in the town of Boone, North Carolina. The winds flew in furry as rain hammered down into the streets. As I looked out of the window of my dormitory. I could see no one traversing the storm on Appalachian State's campus. To my luck it was a saturday so instead of classes I could spend my day cosy and dry. I busied myself with laying in my bed my head in a book. Dostoyevsky's "The Idiot." an assignment for my english literature class. I found myself very much liking Dostoyevsky's style of mocking the lives of the aristocracy and showing them as a dysfunctional lot with problems of no real importance. As I read I could hear the gentle patter of the rain with echoing thunderclaps in the distance. After a few hours I thought it was time for some lunch. I got myself out of bed and got dressed. When I was ready I walked to my door, as I put my hand to the handle something quite curious happened. A letter was suddenly slid under my door and I saw a shadow pass the doorway. I leapt into the hallway to catch who had done this and to my shock there was not a soul to see. "Strange." I said. I returned into the room shutting the door and locking it for I was quite taken aback. I picked up the letter to see who it was from. "How very strange Indeed." I said aloud. The letter was addressed from my uncle Oto. I had not heard from my uncle since I had first came to University . You see my uncle and I where very close throughout my life. My father had died when I was very young in a tragic accident that was never explained to me. So my uncle Oto my father's brother who had no children of his own took on the task to be there for me as a father would. He was there for my first words, he watched my first steps. He taught me to write and read all sorts of things. We spent so much time roaming the forests of the mountains, catching bugs and fish. He taught so much about his life's passion and career in Archeology. He worked for the Smithsonian for a time and earned himself a name in the field and eventually was hired by many different benafactors.He told me of all the treasures and legends from  days of old. The places of Machu Picchu, the homes of the Pueblo people. He filled me with the same passion he had. As a young adult I set myself to follow in his path. I was always found with my nose in books about the history of the world. My uncle was very pleased of my interest in his craft. I came with him to whatever excavation he had uncovered no matter where it was, to my mothers protest. And as I grew ready for University my uncle insisted I went to the school he did in our home state. On the day  I came to study here he had accompanied me filled with such pride and joy. As I settled in he said his goodbyes with the glint of tears in his eyes. He hugged me tight and said."My boy how proud I am of you! You will do very good here!". "Thank you uncle so much! I'm sure it will be good here. Though a little lonely without you here." I said a little sorrowful. " My boy don't you worry. I will be here to visit you as often as I can and write you every week." he said jovially." And also lad, I have some exciting news to leave you with." he gave me a wink. "Well what is it uncle?!" I asked. " I am starting an on a new attempt at solving an old mystery." he said slyly. " Oh really and what might that be?" I retorted with a hint of sarcasm. " I have been commissioned by a private benefactor to excavate and research the mystery of the "Lost Colony of Roanoke" off on the coast!" he said with a beaming grin. " Why uncle that is incredible! That would be a history if you solved it. Do you think you have a chance?" I asked a little concerned but also joyed."Well I hope to shed a little light but it will be a thrilling chace regardless. So in the summer when you have holiday time you will have to join me in the hunt!" He took my hand and shook it while he finished this. "Yes uncle that will be fantastic!" I beamed at him. " Well my boy I am off I will write when I get to the coast." with that he left. Word never came though. I had not heard from him for three years. Now there was a letter strangely delivered to my door. I was trembling from a little joy, rage and shock. I carefully opened the letter it was five quickly drawn scribbles. " I need you in Roanoke." Thunder boomed in the distance.


© 2017 Tate Viviano


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

193 Views
Added on January 15, 2017
Last Updated on January 15, 2017
Tags: Historical Ficiton


Author

Tate Viviano
Tate Viviano

CO



About
I am twenty three and have been really writing poetry and stories since I was eighteen. I enjoy the poetry of the Sufi's as well as the greats such as Maya Angelou. I am so excited to share my work an.. more..

Writing
Brother Brother

A Poem by Tate Viviano