Mott's  Machine

Mott's Machine

A Story by Tegon Maus
"

It appeared to be comprised of spinning wheels, levers, pumping pistons and a maze of intertwining different sized pipes that terminated in three smoke stacks

"

 

 

           "What's going on?"

          "I don't know.  She's been acting strange all day,"

          As we entered the room Tilley raced back and forth as if chasing an invisible mouse into the same part of the room over and over.  At last, facing the wall, she sat up to beg.  She turned in a circle several times and then rolled over.  She stared at the wall, barked twice and then sat up to beg again.

          "Tilley," I scolded, entering the room.  She turned her attention to me for a moment.  I entered the room and ran my hand over the wall where she had focused her concentration.

          Audry raised her hands in silent question.

          "I don't know.  I don't get it." I said, walking back to Audry.

          Tilley began to bark as she ran around the room only to return to the same spot, sitting up again.

          "Oh my God, Ben," Audry gasped, clasping her hand to her mouth.  Slowly, her hand extended as she pointed toward Tilley. 

          For a moment as she spoke I felt dizzy, awash in a feeling of vertigo or something akin to being seasick.  As I turned,  just in front of Tilley a tiny point of blue light began to appear.  It shifted, moving to the right to vanish as it met the opposing wall.  A moment later it reappeared as if passing through the wall to reenter the room again.  It swirled like smoke caught in a slow moving fan, growing brighter, becoming more solid in appearance.  At first, it was but the one tiny blip of light and then another and then a third.  Each raced back and forth along a new larger form taking shape.  As it began to materialized, it appeared to be a machine, reaching well over two feet tall and nearly five feet long.  It was comprised of spinning wheels, levers, pumping pistons and a maze of intertwining different sized pipes that terminated in three smoke stacks.  It was a fearless combination of polished brass, bright reds, blues, yellows, greens and was now running at full bore.

          Upon its full materialization the floor began to vibrate to its cadence.  It bounced slightly like a car engine running a little over idle.  The three tiny points of light traveled from one end to the other over and over.  After a few moments they too began to change.   

          The first held steady at the end of the machine not attached to the wall.  Slowly it transformed itself becoming a set of tiny arms, then legs, then a torso and then, to my astonishment, a pair of thin translucent wings before ultimately becoming a complete person.

          He stood no more than twelve inches tall and was dressed in white socks that reached to the top of his calves, dark green pants and a white shirt.  Pulled tightly over it was a long, pale blue overcoat that reached just below his waist in front.  The tiny creature stood on a raised platform, turning to look at us and then frantically back to the control console and then back to us.

          The remaining two passed each other, stopping for a moment to adjust this control or that, as they in turn became solid.  Dressed less formal than the first,  they both wore work overalls.  Dull blue from head to toe with matching caps and dark stains like oil wiped on the chest, they paid us no mind at all as they filtered from position to position.  They were far too involved in whatever they were doing to the machine to care.  They flew headlong into the wall, disappearing for brief moments and then returned with what could only be described as parts.  They worked feverishly adding several lengths of pipes, valves and square devices to the machine, expanding it all the more.

          "My God, Ben, what are they?" Audry gasped, gripping my arm.

          I stood there in shock, placing my hand on Audry's grip, not knowing what to say.

          The well dressed one held up a hand, gesturing for us to hold on before returning to his console. 

Suddenly, the other two turned to look at us and began arguing amongst themselves.  The first shook

his fist at the other two, who flew into the wall all  without a sound, only the thrum of the machine.  Shortly the two returned... with help. 

          Now there were five.  The two new arrivals wore yellow overalls and carried a yellow colored cylinder.  With a wild frenzy of motion the first two pulled levers and spun the large round handles of valves until a hatch located in the side of the machine opened with a puff of steam.  The yellow clad workers filled its vacancy with their roll and the hatch slammed shut.  The machine kicked into overdrive, pounding the floor with renewed vigor.  Steam burped from it at every opportunity, at every bend, every joint. 

          The first worked his control board like a man possessed, throwing this lever, and then turning several knobs as the machine gained momentum.  As it reached its peak, vibrating as if it would explode under the stress of its own labor, it belched a puff of steam from the taller central stack. 

          Swirling in the heart of this newly formed cloud floated a piece of yellow paper.  It twisted

and turned floating closer to Audry and me, becoming larger until it hovered just out of reach.  Printed upon it the words...  

          "I am Mott.  We are the Katoy."

          My heart jumped in my chest.  My mind swirled with disbelief and confusion as the paper dissolved in a sprinkle of gold dust, vanishing before it could reach the ground.  Audry slipped to the floor, brushing the hair from her face.  I crouched to sit  next to her as the machine geared up again.  The tiny men worked at the machine with total dedication and just as before, a silent belch of steam propelled another note toward us.

          "We want to help Roger," It read and vanished just as before.

          "Mott, do you know where Roger is?" I asked.

          As I moved closer, the image of the machine faded, almost disappearing all together.  The tiny men crumpled to the floor in pain. 

          Mott, now translucent in appearance, waved me off with both hands to push me back.  As I settled back into my original position the machine returned

to its pristine condition.  Mott and his companions revived and the operation began in earnest again.  This time the little men in yellow flew into the wall and returned with a green roll, sliding it into its berth, slamming the hatch shut.  Just as before as the machine reached a level near self destruction as it expelled a green piece of paper wrapped in great billows of steam. 

          "Yes, the Katoy are always with Roger," the paper read.

          "Where is he?  If you know please, tell us," Audry pleaded.

          The machine pounded wildly as Mott and his workers winged the length of it, resetting levers and knobs.  The wheels suddenly ground to a stop and then slowly began to spin in the opposite direction.  After numerous adjustments, Mott jumped back upon his raised platform.  As the machine reached a new level of madness another note drifted our way.

          "We know Ben but who are you?" it read.

          The tiny men hung in the air, bobbing up and down lightly along side the machine watching us with folded arms, waiting for our response.

          "Mott, this is Roger's sister, Audry," I said, feeling a little silly.  I had begun to think Roger a lunatic and yet here are the very creatures for which I questioned his sanity and I was the one now speaking to them.

          The Katoy sped to Mott as an argument ensued.  One or two pointed at us before striking their tiny fist into their other hand.  Mott swung an irritated leg at them, pretending to kick at them followed by an angry shaking of his fist.  The four workers vanished into the wall once more.  This time it took longer for them to return.

          Mott stomped his foot, banging his hand against the machine impatiently.  At long last the blue workmen returned.  Each held a small flag, motioning back and forth as they entered the room flying backwards.  Three new men, dressed in bright red

overalls and caps slowly floated out of the wall, following the lead of the blue.  On their shoulders rode a roll of gold paper.  With a fresh cloud of steam the hatch opened for a third time and the roll deposited.  At the moment the hatch slammed close the machine bounce with an unseen wildness, shifting about the room like an out of balanced washing machine.

          Mott was anchored at his station as it bucked and jumped about.  Feverishly, he worked at the console until, at last, a great billowing cloud spewed forth.  The paper flew higher than all the others combined, nearly touching the ceiling.  As we waited for it to drift closer the machine slowed in its gyrations, eventually stopping all together.  Mott slowly floated from his platform, drifting slowly to the middle of the machine as the workmen disappeared, reentering the wall.

          At last, the paper made its way to us.  Upon its golden face words were written in bold black letters.

          "Ben, Roger has no sister." 

          I glanced quickly at Audry and then to Mott as the tiny man shook his head, holding his hands behind his back and drifted into the wall as the machine began to dissolve, fading from sight in a thousand glittering sparkles.

 

 

© 2013 Tegon Maus


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

An endearing little tale - mysterious and funny in equal measure. It's always hard to take diminutive aliens seriously, my problem, not theirs - although they really need to get a new communication gizmo. The lovely Audry, an impostor - surely not! I've finished my Twelvetrees saga if you want to take a look.

Posted 10 Years Ago


WOW! What an imaginative story!...I wanted to know what was going on just as much as Ben and Audry did. You have written a delightful little mystery. Nicely done!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Hi Tegon! Was hoping to read something new from you, but I realized I have already ready this. Guess I'm going to have to start paying to read your work. How are your book sales going? My grandson loved your book!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Tegon Maus

11 Years Ago

Hi Wendy !! I've missed you ! Most of the new stuff is still in the works. I set this out becaus.. read more
Oh wow. Am I to understand they went to all that trouble for the wrong Roger?

Posted 11 Years Ago


Tegon Maus

11 Years Ago

Hi Marie... no. It's a ploy... the Katoy are a creation generated by a Proton generator to drive a w.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

651 Views
5 Reviews
Added on January 18, 2013
Last Updated on January 20, 2013
Tags: Tegon Maus, machines, invisiblity, colors, dog, notes

Author

Tegon Maus
Tegon Maus

CA



About
Dearheart, my wife of fifty one years and I live in Cherry Valley, a little town of 8,200 in Southern California. In that time, I've built a successful remodeling /contracting business. But tha.. more..

Writing