The way I remember it...

The way I remember it...

A Story by Tegon Maus
"

When he came in... no one spoke, no one moved. Grandpa always sat in the same chair... no other when he came to the house.

"

 

          The way I remember it....  I remember every Christmas was the same... dozens of people at my parents house standing around talking... just talking.

             My mom always had a mountain of food on the table... glazed ham, roast beef, turkey... all the cookies, pies, cakes you could ever hope to eat and no one touched a thing... not a single potato chip. No music, no alcohol, no one even sat down... just talked.

            By 2:00 in the afternoon, my grandfather closed the store and made his way to my parent’s house.

          When he came in... no one spoke, no one moved. Grandpa always sat in the same chair... no other when he came to the house. At the moment he sat down my mother would hand him a beer.

          Every year was the same... he took it... took a sip and said ‘Merry Christmas’ raising the bottle.  At that moment the room exploded into music, laughter and cheerful voices, food and drink... all at the same instant.

          Now it was Christmas... Grandpa said so.

© 2015 Tegon Maus


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

reminds me of my grandpa somewhat, very nicely presented.

Posted 5 Years Ago


this reminds me of my own grandparents-- my Pop-pop too had his own special chair that no one else could use (I still miss them 40 plus years later)--nicely done, Tegon (cool name)

Posted 6 Years Ago


What a great memory, Tegon! Funny how we all celebrate so differently. Is it your turn now, do you declare it Christmas?

Posted 6 Years Ago


Tegon Maus

6 Years Ago

Nothing like that Wendy... I was raised in a very strict German family. My Grandfather ruled everyth.. read more
Wendy Seames Garner

6 Years Ago

My paternal grandfather was German. My grandpa was always sitting in the chair by the front window,.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Sam
I'm so in love with this! The line, "Now it was Christmas.. Grandpa said so." ties everything together so perfectly! Keep up the great work :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Wow I liked this and {not but} am not quite sure what to say.

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

413 Views
5 Reviews
Added on December 20, 2015
Last Updated on December 20, 2015

Author

Tegon Maus
Tegon Maus

CA



About
Dearheart, my wife of fifty one years and I live in Cherry Valley, a little town of 8,200 in Southern California. In that time, I've built a successful remodeling /contracting business. But tha.. more..

Writing