ATM

ATM

A Story by Tegon Maus
"

I went into the bank and gave it to someone I could look in the eye… never, never to a machine.

"


Most of you are probably too young to remember a time without ATMs.  As it turns out I remember all too well.   When they were first installed there was a total mistrust of them. It was okay for you to take money from one but you NEVER gave money to one… at least I didn’t.  I went into the bank and gave it to someone I could look in the eye… never, never to a machine.  Now I’m as forward thinking as any and as time went by I relented and began to put in checks. That was a long time ago.  Now, I use one without hesitation but in the back of my head I still have a little something were giving money to a machine is concerned.  As often as possible I like to put in cash, turning it front to back, mixing 1’s with 20’s and every combination I can think of.  It’s not much but it tickles me. It’s my way of saying  “screw you” to the machine. 


It whirls, clicks and makes all the noises imaginable as it counts, separates and then double checks… then right at the end the noises stop. For a brief moment all is quite…  and then it spits out one lousy, wrinkled dollar bill  saying  “No!  Screw you!”  


© 2016 Tegon Maus


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Beautiful writing. Loved the ending of this. Hard to think that a machine would exact revenge like the way humans would. Kudos.

Posted 7 Years Ago


I hadn't really thought much about it, but yes, you are right. Nice story!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Some of us aren't too young. Way to show that machine!

Are you interested in suggestions?

Posted 7 Years Ago


I really enjoyed this; I like how it's a trivial matter but they have their little way to best it. I've never put money in an ATM but I could definitely (perhaps a bit sadly) imagine myself doing this. The end was perfect for this, it made me laugh.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Haha, this is a great short story. I'm impressed with your talent.


Posted 7 Years Ago


I appreciate you submitting this to my contest, but the rules clearly state that the piece needs to be exactly six sentences long, which this obviously is not.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Tegon Maus

7 Years Ago

Yep ! You're right !!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

479 Views
6 Reviews
Added on July 16, 2016
Last Updated on July 16, 2016
Tags: ATM, money, time, banks

Author

Tegon Maus
Tegon Maus

CA



About
Dearheart, my wife of fifty one years and I live in Cherry Valley, a little town of 8,200 in Southern California. In that time, I've built a successful remodeling /contracting business. But tha.. more..

Writing