Tiny House

Tiny House

A Story by Tegon Maus
"

Parked in the back corner was a tiny house. You know the one… it was a little over twenty feet long and about ten foot wide.

"

   As time goes by I find it increasingly difficult to talk with people, especially young people. I don’t understand them… what motivates them or worse yet what will set them off.  A case in point… my wife sent me to the store to get butter and English muffins for Sunday breakfast. As I entered the parking lot something at the opposite end caught my eye.

Parked in the back corner was a tiny house. You know the one… it was a little over twenty feet long and about ten foot wide.    Covered head to toe in a rich, dark brown siding its windows were wrapped with a pure white trim that made them glisten. Its pitched roof was coated with a bright green metal and white trim giving this miniature building a gorgeous and inviting appearance.

   I deliberately park close by so I could take a closer look.  Not surprisingly, sitting on its back porch, a young man of 23 or so,  with his feet dangling over the edge was enjoying a smoke. It was one of those vapor things that released copious clouds of white smoke when he exhaled.

   I wanted to say something… anything that convince him of my desire to look inside so I approached him after he expelled the next in a made storm of billowing white clouds.

   “Hi,” I began moving closer once I had his attention. “I like your fort.”

   The young man suddenly jumped to his feet.

   “Screw you old man,” he snorted before slamming the door leaving me standing alone in the parking lot bewildered.

   My wife might be right… maybe it’s best if I don’t talk to people. 

© 2017 Tegon Maus


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This story made me smile! You can write a short story and be so descripted and keep your readers attention!
Love this!

Posted 2 Years Ago


Tegon Maus

2 Years Ago

Thanks for the read... greatly appreciated !!
KATHY SUE SILLS

2 Years Ago

You are so welcome!
I love this story.. in all it's perfect imperfections.. I chuckle when my daughter looks at me and say.. oh mom.. that is such generational thinking.. I just look back and tell her she is "right arm and farm out"

Posted 2 Years Ago


Haha, I can imagine the look on your face when that happened! It sure could be difficult for y'all to understand the younger generation. Trust me, sometimes I don't get them myself...lol.
Nice work!


Posted 6 Years Ago


I was brought up to respect those older when I was a boy. Alas that has now been eroded today. He could have said, 'hey pops its not a fort do you want to take a look inside'-his loss Tegon.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Tegon Maus

6 Years Ago

Thanks for the read Will... what's a mother to do ? He just took 'fort' the wrong way.
I must getting too old to understand the young as well, how rude of him!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Tegon Maus

6 Years Ago

To be fair... I did call his house a fort. I was trying to be funny and it backfired !
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
:-) I tend to notice that your humor and unique craft is lost on a lot of readers. You are one of my favorite writers on this site...I've returned to hunt for potential scripts; you have so many great pieces to choose from (!)

Posted 6 Years Ago


Tobias H. Reese

6 Years Ago

I'm presently looking for a sci-fi mystery/drama
Two or three characters I could play myself,.. read more
Tegon Maus

6 Years Ago

I know what you mean... take a look at my story Count William. Not John Carpenter... but
Tobias H. Reese

5 Years Ago

Count William is brilliant. (I actually wanted to film this a few years ago...stillllll haven't mana.. read more
For a short story it is quite pleasant and entirely interesting throughout.

Posted 6 Years Ago


It was the young man's loss - it seems unlikely that you would have learnt anything from him but just think of what he could have learnt from you. As I grow older I make a point of speaking with strangers at every opportunity and most of the time it goes well and only rarely goes bad. In my experience it's not a generation, gender or class thing - it's just people.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Tegon Maus

7 Years Ago

Thanks for the read Wez! I agree ! Hateful b******s aren't they? It's my fault for being a smart.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

649 Views
8 Reviews
Added on February 12, 2017
Last Updated on February 12, 2017
Tags: Tiny House, Vapor, Young vs Old, Fort

Author

Tegon Maus
Tegon Maus

CA



About
Dearheart, my wife of fifty one years and I live in Cherry Valley, a little town of 8,200 in Southern California. In that time, I've built a successful remodeling /contracting business. But tha.. more..

Writing