Black Moon - Chpt 3

Black Moon - Chpt 3

A Chapter by Tegon Maus
"

The creature took a few steps backward, turning to face me. He in turn swirled the liquid around and around and then the unthinkable. He grabbed me by my jaw forcing my mouth open...

"

Chapter 3

 

 

"What happens now?"  I asked, half to myself, half out loud.  The rain had slowed and the murmur of voices had begun to well, growing steadily to become a cheer.

 

At last Daneba barked orders and the Turtle men grabbed Tahki from behind and tied her hands.  Just as quickly a thousand angry voices filled the air and the Norha charged the platform in hopes of her rescue.  The next few moments were lost to me… everyone began shouting, pushing, arguing, fighting, among themselves and the Kindred echoed what was happening on the platform.

 

Tahki screamed unintelligibly and the Norha did their best to rise to her call.  As a result the Kindred once again quickly divided itself into two groups… the Norha who tried desperately to reach her and those that were equally determined not to let them.

 

"Kill her! Kill her now," Inamid screamed in common shaking her fist in the air inciting all who would listen.  She charged at Tahki repeatedly but was held back by Tayen,  the Shalic's second wife and the crowd responded in kind, driven by her words.

 

"No More," I screamed lifting the spear and to my surprise they believed my threat.  Calm slowly enveloped all those present.

 

"You cannot do this, release me!  Why would I kill him?  Why now?  I am the next in line.  I am the promised Shalic!  It makes no sense," she pleaded her eyes wild, staring right at me.

 

"She has a point,"  I said turning toward Daneba.

 

"Why do we listen to the words of the Cowan?  We are Ogin... keepers of the law,"  a young man shouted, pointing at me, moving closer.  "He is not of the people."

 

"Pules… tyro to the Shalic,"  Bowen whispered, nodding toward the young man.

 

"Tyro?"

 

"Apprentice… student… one that carries the law… when the Black moon comes again for the Ogin they will need a practiced shaman to pass on the law to his tyro and he to his and so on until it is their turn to stand here as keepers of the law again.  Pules will be that man.  It will be good for the Ogin… it will be good for the Kindred."

 

"Daneba has an apprentice?"

 

"As do all Shaman.  It is the way of the Kindred brother."

 

"He carries the spear,  is this not enough?"  Daneba intoned pushing her way forward to stand in front of the one called Pules.

 

"He is not one of us.  He is of the lawless ones," he snapped turning his back toward me.

 

"He is the Soul Bearer, he holds the spear," She said sternly.  "He is one of us."

 

"If he is one of us let him kill her," Inamid said, suddenly moving to stand in front of me; in her hand the knife that killed the Shalic.

 

"The people watch," Daneba whispered harshly grabbing the woman's wrist.

 

The two of them stood for a moment speaking low between themselves in Jonda or Ogin or some combination; none of which I understood.  I did however notice that each overtly struggled for control over the knife.

 

At the moment I stepped forward placing my hand on theirs to take it, Inamid twisted her hand, pulling free of Daneba holding the dagger high over her head and the crowd cheered wildly.

 

"I am the wife of the Shalic.  I am the law," She shouted walking a wide circle around us.

 

Daneba's expression burned with anger.

 

Inamid now stood in front of me still holding the knife over her head.

 

"I am the wife of the Shalic - no more," she shouted, allowing her voice to trail off as she dropped the knife to the ground.

 

There was a moment of silence and then a roar of disapproving voices.

 

I shifted uncomfortably, gripping the spear for personal comfort all the more.

 

Daneba immediately picked up the knife and handed it to me.

 

"Take it," she intoned through clenched teeth.

 

I did as she asked but kept a wry-eye on the unruly crowd.

 

"Littlefield will decide,"  Daneba shouted grabbing my hand with the knife forcing it high over my head.

 

Her proclamation was met with a very loud mix of cheers, grumbling and boos.

 

"Come," Daneba commanded and everyone on the platform followed her lead.

 

In single file we made our way off the back of the platform to a huge tent.  The Turtle men held those that pushed and jeered in place as we entered.  As the last of us passed under the flap the biggest Norha I have ever seen forced himself into the opening.

 

His muscles twitched, his huge chest heaved, his face glowered and his eyes burned as he looked at each of us one by one as if he were measuring who he would need to kill first.

 

He grunted a few angry words but made no move to enter the tent.

 

Slowly the Turtle men moved to stand between the intruder and myself, flexing their arms and shoulders.  I clutched the spear as Eloise pressed closer to my back.  I could feel her trembling.

 

"He is Grake… Tyro for the Norha," Bowen whispered, suddenly at my side.

 

"Why is he here," Eloise asked before I could form a thought.

 

"For my protection," Tahki said.

 

Still holding the flap the monster lowered his head and spoke again, his voice held less anger this time.

 

"He asks your permission to watch over my safety," Tahki offered.

 

The thought that a Norha, any Norha, would have any level of concern beyond his own stomach stunned me but here the creature stood.

 

To my disappointment everyone was looking at me, expecting an answer.  I shot a quick look toward Daneba for a clue as to what to say.  She stared at me with an unflinching expression and my mind burned with indecision as the beast spoke again.

 

Everyone turned to look at him as he grappled with what he was trying to say.  His fingers flexed impulsively as he held the flap open, his head still bent in respect, his voice however was filled with an unsettling level of intensity.

 

"He insists he be allowed to enter," Bowen said softly.

 

"So I gathered," I returned trying to stall for time to think.

 

In my hesitation the monster took a step inside, allowing the flap to close behind him and Eloise and I took a step backward in unison.  No one moved, no one said a single thing as he slowly made his way across the floor, his head bowed but his eyes looked solely on me until he stood slightly behind Tahki.

 

"Now you've done it," Eloise whispered from behind me and with that everyone began talking at the same time forming a circle around me each pressing their point - whatever that was - I didn't understand a single word.

 

"Hold," Daneba shouted and the tent fell silent.  All the Shaman gathered around her speaking amongst themselves.  Each in turn shot a distasteful look in my direction.  Their conversation grew hotter, more intense as it progressed until  suddenly it stopped.  Everyone now stared at me.

 

My attention was divided between them and the Norha that stood in the corner behind Tahki.  I couldn't stop looking at him.  He was huge, larger than most of the Norha I was familiar with.  In turn, I was the sole focus of his attention.  His eyes, set deep in his head, peered out from under a thick, hairy ledge of a brow.  He looked at me the way a hungry dog watches his master's plate - waiting for an opportunity to pounce.  His body rocked back and forth lightly as if he were readying himself.

 

The one called Pules suddenly wailed loudly, instantly crossed his arms and turned his back to me as did three more of the shaman.

 

"They say you should decide her fate but it will shape the fate of the kindred," Bowen whispered to me.

 

"Me?  What the hell would I decide?"  I groused.

 

"Do you see?  He fears for himself not for the people.  I say again he is not one of us," Pules shouted harshly.

 

"The law is the law.  He is the Soul Bearer - he holds the spear," Daneba returned.

 

"He holds the spear because he picked it up.  He was not chosen," one of the other Shaman said sternly.

 

Daneba drew a deep breath before swinging her gaze toward me.

 

"Take it from him," she ordered, pointing at me.

 

My heart jumped with panic at her words.

 

Pules immediately stepped in front of me, grabbing the spear placing his hand just above mine.

 

I looked to Daneba as to what I should do.

 

As if reading my mind she lifted her chin and then said, "Let it go citizen."

 

Reluctantly I did as she asked and my hand swung loosely to my side as I stepped back.

 

Pules face shifted as he tried to conceal his euphoria and I wanted to punch it.

 

Slowly his face began to shift to one of disappointment.  He began to strain with his efforts to lift it before attempting to swing it one way or the other.  Trying to conceal it at first, he gave way and openly struggled to move the spear.

 

It stood where I left it as if it were rooted at the center of the world itself.  He did everything possible to shift it but failed.  It gladdened my heart more than I could say.

 

"Anyone else?"  Daneba asked.

 

To my surprise each of the Shaman except Daneba herself stepped forward to try to move the spear from where it stood.

 

"Let me try.  It belongs to the Norha now, just to be sure," Tahki said quickly.

 

A rush of whispers quickly spread around the room.

 

"Let him try," Pules said with a sneer, pointing at the Norha.

 

Again everyone looked to me and all I could do was shrug in response.

 

He moved quickly to stand in front of it, inspecting it up and down its length before seeking Tahki's permission.

 

At the moment she nodded her approval he grabbed it - wrapping his huge hand around its diameter.  The muscles in his arm flexed wildly trying to take possession of it.  He grunted, strained and then wrapped another hand around it bending his knees in an effort to budge it - all to no avail.  He struggled with it much longer than the others but eventually gave up stepping behind Tahki once more.

 

I stepped up to the spear and a small part of me was afraid it would not move for me as well.  As I gripped it, it tilted easily and I passed it from hand to hand for good measure as Pules looked on filling me with delight.

 

"It's settled then," Daneba said, drawing my attention to them again.  "Shalic Littlefield will decide."

 

"I can't decide,  I am not even sure what we're talking about," I groused.

 

"Who gets to kill Tahki, who is Shalic after you," Pules said and it set off another bout of arguing amongst the Shaman.

 

"I am innocent.  I promise you Citizen I did not kill the Shalic.  I was about to be the new Shalic... the spear was to be mine.  Why would I kill him?"

 

"Who knows why you do anything?"  I grumbled.

 

"Citizen, listen to me.  Prove me innocent and I will give you the one thing you want," she coaxed.

 

"You have nothing I want.  I hope they vote to kill you."

 

"Nothing?  I have the one thing you have sought for the past two years.  I will admit that the pleasure I felt knowing it was torturing you as well as the Jonda was exquisite but I've grown tired of it.  Prove me innocent and I will give him to you," Tahki said a little too smugly for my comfort.

 

"Eon is alive?"  Daneba pressed, stepping closer.

 

"More alive than dead," Tahki offered lightly.  "Free me and he is yours."

 

Inamid began to scream and beat her chest.

 

"You can not trust her.  She must be punished," Bowen whispered to me.

 

Tahki and the Norha voiced their position and the tent fell into chaos.

 

Daneba took control again barking an order to one of the Turtle men.

 

In his absence Daneba stepped in front of the Norha, inspecting him closely.

 

"Do you speak common?"  She asked.

 

In a deep, slow, gruff voice he said "The words fall from my mouth like rotten fruit."

 

At that moment the Turtle man that dove outside the tent, reappeared, in his hand a small silver bowl.

 

Handing it to Daneba the other Shaman gathered around her.  To my surprise and personal discomfort she took the knife that killed the Shalic and sliced the palm of her hand bleeding freely into the silver bowl.  She passed the knife and bowl to the right and that Shaman did the same adding his blood as well.  One by one each did the same until the bowl had made its way back to Daneba.  She added some herbs, and small bones waving her hand slowly over its contents.  A whisper of smoke rose from the liquid and she passed it along again and again each in turn added a little something to the mix, saying a few words over the bowl until it reached Daneba once more.

 

"Drink this and you will understand all who speak and they you," she said.

 

Much to my relief she handed the bowl to Bowen.  I can not tell you how happy that made me.  She spoke to him for a moment and he lifted the bowl to his lips.  He took the liquid into his mouth and then swirled it around, puffing his cheeks out washing it thoroughly around in his mouth for a moment.  He nodded his head to signal his readiness.

 

Daneba suddenly grabbed the Norha pushing him to stand in front of Bowen, saying something I did not understand.  He looked immediately to Tahki and she nodded in return.

 

Much to my shock Bowen pulled the Norha's mouth open with both hands and then spit the contents from his mouth into the Norha's.  A part of me was glad to see the brute treated in such a manner, thrilled to see it to be honest.

 

The creature took a few steps backward, turning to face me.  He in turn swirled the liquid around and around and then the unthinkable.  He grabbed me by my jaw forcing my mouth open placing his other hand on my head forcing it back and then spit the concoction into mine.

 

My first reaction was to spit it out but he anticipated my desire covering my mouth and nose under one enormous hand, suffocating me.

 

I panicked.

 

"Swallow it and he will let you go," Daneba said.

 

I fought for all I was worth but in the end complied.  It was thick, bitter and tasted like nothing I would have ever put in my mouth in a thousand years and it burned like fire all the way down to my stomach.

 

"Water," I gasped, holding my throat, fearing the substance was eating its way through me.

 

"Not yet Citizen, but soon," Daneba words drifted to me.

 

In my current predicament I was about to pass out or die, I couldn't tell which.

 

My head swam and my stomach churned wildly of its own volition and I feared I would wretch,  My body ached as if I had been chewed up, spit out and passed around to be chewed up again.

 

"Awake now are we?  Why don't you listen to me?  Do you know the trouble you're in now? Well do you?"  Eloise asked pulling me upright, shaking me.

 

"I feel sick," I return.

 

"I'm not surprised.  Come on then, they're waiting," she said.

 

"Who's waiting?"

 

"All of them.  They're just standing around outside waiting for you."

 

"Tell them I'm sick and won't be coming," I groaned and tried my best to turn over.

 

"Citizen we're waiting for you," Daneba said holding open the flap to the tent.

 

Reluctantly, I pulled myself upright and did as she asked passing through the open flap to where she and the others now stood.

 

"What did you do to me?"

 

"Only what was necessary.  The Shalic is to be buried at Algoma,  It will take nine days to reach, only those on the platform will go.  You will tell the people to go home and wait for your decision," she said earnestly.

 

"How am I going to do that?"

 

"You can now speak to all and they to you."

"You had to have him spit in my mouth to do it?"

 

"The Norha is to follow you, hear all you have to say and all that they say to you."

 

"You expect me to wander around the countryside with... with him?"

 

"I will keep you safe brother," Bowen said stepping closer.

 

"The knife was used by only one... one that stood among us," Daneba said giving an stern look to us all.

 

"This is foolish.  My husband's murderer stands here and we waste time with this... this Cowan.  Kill her now and be done with it," Inamid demanded.

 

"The law says she has the right of denial," Daneba added.

 

"I am the law," Inamid returned, quickly, sternly.

 

"With respect... he is now the law," Daneba countered pointing at me.

 

Inamid simply folded her arms and gave Daneba a sour look that could cut through stone but said nothing.  Her eyes moved rapidly around the circle to the other Shaman.  Only Daneba and two others stood their ground; the rest withered under her stare.

 

"Give him nine days... one day for each tribe.  Then he decides," Daneba said coolly.

 

"And if he decides to save her?"  Pules asked, moving closer.

 

"He is the law," Daneba said flatly.

 

"Then the Kindred are doomed," Pules spit moving to stand behind Inamid.  "We are the law."

 

"Hey, I didn't ask to be Shalic.  I didn't steal this thing," I shouted shaking the spear.  "I hate the Norha as much as you."

 

Everyone just stood there, shocked I presumed by my outburst.

 

At that moment Tayen, the Shalic's second wife, entered, in her arms the Shalic's daughter Shada.

 

"They have removed and wrapped our husband.  What are your wishes?  I am of the thought...," She said lowering her head as she spoke.

 

"When does second wife tell first wife what we are to do?"  Inamid snapped cutting off the younger woman.

 

"I meant no disrespect.  I thought our husband...," Tayen began.

 

"Go, the duties of a second wife call.  Leave the child." Inamid ordered.

 

The younger woman simply nodded her compliance setting the child on the ground and turned to leave.

 

Almost instantly the toddler began to cry.

 

"Come little one, Nana shay will fix it,"  Inamid said sweetly squatting to call the youngster to her.

 

What I found interesting was the way everyone present turned a shoulder to her and flinched at her words.

 

"Choose well Cowan, war among the Kindred hangs on your choice," she said, motioning for Pules to follow her as she left the circle.

 

"Yikes," I said half to myself and half out loud.

 

"She has been the Shalic's wife for a long time... change is hard for us all Citizen," Daneba offered, her voice sullen.

 

Everyone took that opportunity to file onto the platform, following her lead including Eloise and myself.

 

This time, looking out into all those faces I shook a little inside but I did as Daneba asked.

 

"Go to your homes.  We go to bury the Shalic and I will have word for you in nine days," I said, turning to face a new group with each new telling, sending each tribe home one at a time.

 

It all sounded the same to me as I repeated the message Daneba had instructed me to convey.  Somehow it seemed to be in the language of each group that they needed to hear.

 

"So... it is done.  Choose wisely Shalic Littlefield," Daneba said.

 

"Citizen," Tahki began.

 

"Take her," Daneba ordered and the turtle men did as she asked.

 

The Norha's gaze was glued to her to the last moment and then I could feel it as it switched to me.

 

"Bowen, why did everyone become uncomfortable when Inamid took the child?"

 

"She called herself Nana shay," he returned.

 

"What does that mean?"

 

He looked to the ground before answering.  "It means she who cares for the abandoned."

 

"I don't understand."

 

"Sometimes the parents of a child are killed in battle.  That child is taken in by women with no children of their own... a Nana shay."

 

"She isn't abandoned.  Tayen is her mother," I protested.

 

"You can be so clueless," Eloise said striking me with the back of her hand.

 

"Clueless?  Me?  What are you talking about?"

 

"We go to Algoma Citizen.  You have nine days use them wisely," Daneba said pushing past me.



© 2017 Tegon Maus


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

300 Views
Added on November 27, 2017
Last Updated on December 16, 2017


Author

Tegon Maus
Tegon Maus

CA



About
Dearheart, my wife of fifty one years and I live in Cherry Valley, a little town of 8,200 in Southern California. In that time, I've built a successful remodeling /contracting business. But tha.. more..

Writing