Cherry Icees

Cherry Icees

A Story by Creepy Swine Guy
"

You just never know.

"

      It was a rather benign day to that point. I’d gotten off of work a bit after five and was leaving with my usual compliment of annoyance and aggravation, courtesy of my dimwitted boss, Jake. Jake outperformed himself that day, he'd gone above and beyond the call of duty and was far beyond his usual clueless self. So I stopped at our local convenience store to get myself an Icee; that cool cherry wave always seemed to wash away the troubles from even the most exasperating of days. The problem was that I forgot to get a second Icee. You see, my five-year-old daughter Stephanie loved Icees too. She espescialy loved getting them there at Lewis Brothers Store, where she got to draw her own Icee. But I was a block from home when I realized my blunder; there was no going back now. I would just take my medicine like a man. The inquisition began as soon as I hit the door.

 

     “Daddy?” She asked in an accusatory tone. “Did you have an Icee?”

 

     “No honey, I just got out of work”

 

     “Than why is your tongue red?”

 

     Busted! There were no appeals to be heard, no clemency hearing, I was just flat out guilty. I was no match for my daughters ‘hairy eyeball’. I’d been wrapped around her little finger since the day she was born, and we both knew it. The days after her birth were at the same time, the best days and the worst days of my life. I’d been blessed with this wonderful little girl, but her mother and the love of my life, Jenna, died as a result of uncontrollable bleeding during childbirth. On top of that, Stephie almost died as well, something about her lungs hadn’t been right. She teetered between life and death for several weeks, but in his infinite mercy, on March 23, God allowed me to take my daughter home and I have clung to her and loved her with all of my being since that day.

 

     But on this day, I was guilty as charged, and my only redemption was at the Lewis Brothers Store. So Stephie marched me out to the car and we started the seven-mile drive to salvation. About halfway there, we hit the light at the corner of Main and Elm just as it changed from red to green. I was so absorbed in my discussion with Stephie, that I damned near slammed into the car in front of me that was still sitting at the intersection even though the light was now green. I managed to snap back to awareness just in time to jam the brake pedal to the floorboard and avert a collision. The driver in the other car was a black kid, maybe 19 or 20. He wore his baseball cap sideways on his head like the gang kids do and the music that he bopped his head to, was loud and anchored by an offensive base beat. As I slammed on the brakes I mashed my palm onto the horn, but the bellowing of the horn had no apparent effect on him. He very slowly and deliberately turned and looked at us through his rear window with that a stupid grin and waved. I wanted to curse him but Stephie was in the car so I kept my head and held my tongue. I simply put the car in gear and began to pull out around him, but as I did he jerked his car to the left, effectively cutting me off again. When the light turned red he took off and went through the red light. Why you little b*****d! I thought, but I kept my thoughts to myself.

 

     As we neared the store, the flashing lights of emergency vehicles swirled above the parking lot. A fire engine, an ambulance and a police car sat in front of the store where the pickup truck has smashed through the front of the store. We pulled up to the intersection in front of the store where an officer waved us to turn left and around the store. As I passed the officer I rolled down the window to get the scoop.

 

     “What happened?”

 

     “Old man ran his pickup into the store. We think he had a stroke.”

 

     “That’s terrible, was anyone else hurt?”

 

     “The clerk has a broken arm. The truck slammed into the damned Icee machine and knocked it across the store. She managed to get mostly out of the way but it landed on her arm and broke it.”

 

     I pulled ahead and over to the shoulder and sat in stunned disbelief. My daughter had come within minutes of being killed. She would have been standing dead in front of that Icee machine if that punk hadn’t blocked our way. Just then he passed us again, this time without the music. He slowed to a near crawl as he passed but he wasn’t ogling the storefront like everyone else, he was looking away from the excitement and at us. He smiled, waved and drove on.

 

     Later that night, I sat in the living room, in my favorite chair staring blankly at the television. I was thinking about the fellow that had cut us off and how he'd slowed us down. There was no question those few minutes had saved Stephie's life. I was so deep in thought, that I never even heard Stephie walk up behind me.

 

     “I couldn't remember where I saw that man before but now I remember Daddy." She explained. "That man in the car ... he was with me in the hospital when I was sick. You know … when I was a baby.”

© 2008 Creepy Swine Guy


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"Be not forgetful to entertain strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares." (Hebrews 13:2).




Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Jerry,
This is an excellent story and I am so glad a mutual friend sent me a read request!


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ooohh, I have the goosebump thing going on. That was really good. Reminds me of the big truck I sat next to at a traffic light once. The driver could see the car that was running the light but, I couldn't ... because his truck blocked my view... As the light turned green for us, I started off like a race horse at the gate... teenager you know. The man in the truck blasted his horn and scared the s**t out of me. I slammed on my brakes as a reflex I guess... as I saw the speeding car go through the intersection... Life's little mysteries, miracles make it all worth while. I am thankful for that truck driver and for you too!

Kristina

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Excellent, ecellent story! I'm sending this one on to a few freinds. Very well done and I love that little twist at the end. I've had a few of those unusuall happenings in my life too. I hope I have learned not to make such quick and angry judgements when they happen.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

"Be not forgetful to entertain strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares." (Hebrews 13:2).




Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

oh, wow! An incredibly woven story.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This gave me chills, I love it. Thanks for submitting it to my contest.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

o i loved it! i truly do believe in guardian angels and this story touched me. not only that but...see, i dont like little kids. but my nephew, there's nothing in the world that i wouldnt do for him. going back to the store for a damned icee is something i can see myself doing. i really like this story.

Posted 17 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Well this is definately going in my library. This is such a wonderfully touching story. I am awe
struck. You're talent is a blessing and an inspiration to any one that reads your work. I'm
speechless.

Debby

Posted 17 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow, that was intense. Incredible story.

Posted 17 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow, this was a wonderful story! The twist at the end, it was so very ironic, but perfect. I especially loved the relationship between the father and his daughter. I must say the following line made me chuckle: "I�d been wrapped around her little finger since the day she was born, and we both knew it."

I honestly can't think of any CC for you. Even the format was wonderful, and I could easily read it. Many times authors don't put much thought into the format and it comes out cluttered and hard to read. Unfortunately often times I can't.

My only compliant when it comes to this story is that you made me have a craving for Icees; so not cool of you... XD

Elle B.


Posted 17 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

65 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 5, 2008
Last Updated on September 29, 2008

Author

Creepy Swine Guy
Creepy Swine Guy

Central, NY



About
The Ten Commandments of the Writer's Cafe (King Swine Version). 1. Thou shalt not plagiarize. 2. Thou shalt not treat badly any writer based on their age, social status, ability or creative view.. more..

Writing
Erased Erased

A Chapter by Creepy Swine Guy



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..