Rick's Lucky Day

Rick's Lucky Day

A Story by Creepy Swine Guy
"

If it weren't for bad luck ...

"

 

     Rick Coolidge sat rigidly on his stool in abject horror, staring at the two cards lying on the bright green, felt-covered blackjack table in front of him. Six hours ago, he’d sat down at the $25 minimun bet table with his life savings. When he lost that, all he’d have would be his plane ticket home and his room for his last night in Las Vegas. But something wasn't quite right. As his dark brown eyes squinted against the cigarette smoke that danced up from his fellow gambler's ashtray, Rick ran his hand through his black hair in uneasy contemplation of what was happening to him.
 
     “Sir?” The dealer interrupted Rick’s trance of disbelief.
 
     “Oh … Sorry.” Rick said, snapping out of his haze long enough to turn over the two cards that he’d already stolen a peek at.
 
     “Another Blackjack!” The dealer loudly announced.
 
     “I’ve never seen anyone this hot before!” Said the statuesque redhead with dark brown eyes as she leaned into him. She was close enough to press various parts of herself against him in a manner that made the casino seem even hotter than it actually was. Being a rather nebbish fellow of fragile physique, Rick was unaccustomed to such attention.
 
     “It’s got to end soon.” Rick muttered uncomfortably, as he anxiously organized his stacks of $100.00 chips.
 
     Rick’s words echoed the thoughts of the pit boss who stood fifty feet off to the side, quietly watching this once in a lifetime spectacle of good fortune. But no end was in sight. In the next hour, Rick won 15 of the 16 hands that were dealt. He'd sat down with his last $175, and now he had something over $27,000 and he didn’t like it. No sir, he didn’t like it one little bit.
 
     You see, in his 37 years, Rick was never one to attract too much good fortune; as a matter of fact he’d resigned himself long ago that bad luck stalked him like a crocodile slinking up on a sipping gazelle. He saw his run of good fortune not as the long overdue balancing of Lady Luck's books, but as a curse to be fended off. This near pathological fear of good fortune took over when the pit boss invited him to move to a higher limit table.
 
     “Yeah, that’ll be good.” He answered nervously, figuring he’d bet everything that he had except for the $175 he started with. But fate had a different plan. The phenomenal run of luck continued into the night. He made big bets hoping to lose and he won. When he bet small to fend off the winning, he’d lose. By the time fatigue began to set in, Rick had completely lost track of his winnings. His good fortune had drawn a crowd, which only made him more nervous. His hands trembled with each wager. His situation was much less troublesome to the redhead from the previous table; she’d followed him to the high rollers table and saw every spectacular win at close range. As a matter of fact she was fast becoming Rick’s new best friend.
 
     “I guess I should call you Lucky. Well Lucky, my name’s Vanessa and I must be your lucky charm.”
 
     “M-My name is Rick.” He stammered as he raked in yet another pot.
 
     “Where are you from Rick?”
 
     “New York.” He answered as the dealer drew a losing hand.
 
     “Ooh!” She squealed. “You win again Rick.”
 
     “I’d like to cash in now please.” Rick said to the dealer, having given up in his effort to lose a hand. “I go home tomorrow,” He explained to Vanessa. “So I decided to shoot my wad and gamble my $175.00 until I lost. But I didn’t lose, all night I can’t lose and here I am now; cashing in.”
 
     “What's wrong with winning?" She quizzed.
 
     “Nothing ... per se," He explained. "It's just that I am not a lucky man. When good things happen, things that are equally bad come along to even things up. This looks exciting, but something bad is gonna happen!"
 
     “Excuse me sir, I’m sorry to interrupt, but I’ll need some I.D.” The pit boss said.
 
     “How would you like to buy a lonely girl some dinner?” Vanessa offered as Rick handed the pit boss his drivers license.
 
     As onlookers offered back pats and handshakes of congratulations, Vanessa continued to work Rick. But he was finally coming to grips with his good fortune and decided that since this was his lucky night, he’d just accept whatever hospitality this stunning woman had to offer. As Vanessa and Rick discussed where they wanted to dine, the crowd that had formed around Rick slowly began to dissipate. Jack Cameron arrived at the table in time to see the pit boss come back with Rick’s Check.
 
     “There you are Mr. Coolidge, 2.7 million dollars after taxes!”
 
     “Okay you lucky man, lets spend some of that on dinner, and then we’ll go back to your room for some entertainment.” Vanessa said with a stern but playful poke to Rick’s chest.
 
     “I gotta be up by eight though,” He cautioned. “My flight leaves for home at eleven and it goes straight through to New York, I don’t want to have to take the late flight and stop over in Detroit.”
 
     “How ‘bout I just keep you uhmmm … up … all night!”
 
     “I guess I really am, finally lucky.”
 
     Rick had grudgingly begun to let go of his fear of good luck. Finally he accepted that he was not necessarily meant to always lose. His lifetime of bad luck had struck a just balance with this phenomenal run of good fortune. Rick gleefully tucked his check into his wallet and escorted Vanessa out to the waiting limousine.
 
     About that time, Benny Cameron lumbered into the casino and found his brother Jack at one of the low money tables and sat down. Jack handed Benny a drink that he’d ordered along with his own when he arrived.
 
     “How’s it goin’?” Benny asked, as he ran his fingers through the sparse hair that hung over his rather prominent forehead, pushing the hair out of his eyes and back from his receding hairline.
 
     “Not bad, I’m even but some guy just had a run. He couldn’t miss. They say he won over two mill.”
 
     “Damn.” Benny replied in awe. “Why can’t I ever catch a run like that?”
 
     “Stop whinin’ little brother. Did you get everything done at the hangar before you signed out?”
 
     “Yeah, everything is done but the fuel line on that 737.”
 
     “You stupid s**t; that needed to be done tonight.”
 
     “It’s taking a short hop to Reno Jack. They’ll change the line in Reno and it’ll be fine”
 
     “Didn’t you read the memo you schmuck. They changed planes to get more seats. That plane is going nonstop to JFK in New York.”
 
     “It’ll be alright Jack.” Benny said, taking a sip of his drink and tossing $100 onto the table to buy chips as he silently thought to himself. I hope.


© 2008 Creepy Swine Guy


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Loved the ending- I expected Vanessa to pull a fast one on him and take all his money, but it turned out to be even worse than I thought! I think the only thing that struck me as off is when Rick changes his point of view from 'something bad always happens' to 'looks like i'm finally lucky afterall.' It didn't feel natural after the way his personality was presented in the first part of the story. Perhaps if the moment he changes his mind is given a little more attention? Great story, regardless. I really enjoyed it!

Posted 17 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

You definitely did your research on poker, or so this story suggests! It's as though I'm amid the gamblers.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love stories like this! Thanks so much for sharing it!

-CW

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Aw poor Rick! Finally catches a break and there is impending doom right around the corner. Hopefully Vanessa will make him miss that flight. Loved this story, it was really well written and it kept my interest easily. Well done.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was a great story. The only thing odd was the guy coming to grips with himself being lucky. I think if you made it more of a questioning rather than a decided conclusion, it might stenghten its pull.
Well done.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Congratulations!

This piece is a finalist of "Promote Me! IV"!
Rick is an easy character to grow attached to. I love that the ending is hinted to, yet still grabs a hold of the reader. Well done.

As a reward from Promote Me! IV, I have sent out 115 read requests for this piece.

Use the following link to vote before Oct. 15th 2014
http://www.writerscafe.org/contests/Promote-Me%21-IV-%28Not-Poetry%29/50253/

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Creepy Swine Guy

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much :^)
I loved this story as well.... truly awesome. BUT...

You left it open!!! How could you?!! I need closure d****t! lol
Now, I could tell myself.... he made it ok or perhaps he missed the flight
because he was "busy"....

OR

he crashed and died ... even-ing things out as he initially feared.

Now his fate is in my hands. Sigh.

Outstanding work my friend!



Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

that was a trully amazing story. the ending was sooooo perfect. great job. your writing is soooo good

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

That made me giggle. I didn't see that coming. I figured it would have been the evil-money-grubbing-red-head. I agree, though, that the total sum did seem a bit high, but I'm no gambler.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I loved the way you ended this! It does make the reader wonder does Vanessa keep him or does he get on to the plane? Great write!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

How interesting, does he die on a plane with no gas or does this woman keep him up all night making him miss his flight? who knows. wonderful story!


Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1045 Views
36 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 6, 2008
Last Updated on September 29, 2008

Author

Creepy Swine Guy
Creepy Swine Guy

Central, NY



About
The Ten Commandments of the Writer's Cafe (King Swine Version). 1. Thou shalt not plagiarize. 2. Thou shalt not treat badly any writer based on their age, social status, ability or creative view.. more..

Writing
Erased Erased

A Chapter by Creepy Swine Guy



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Home Birth.. Home Birth..

A Story by Rain