Maintenance Failure

Maintenance Failure

A Story by Creepy Swine Guy
"

You'll just have to read it and find out.

"
It was a radiant, balmy summer day. The water was a color somewhere between blue and green that made a scenic picture upstream where it gurgled down over the two to three foot boulders in the old river. In the spot where I was fishing, the water was running a bit more than the spot downstream where Peter had decided to try his luck. Though the sun shone brightly, the birds sang and a cool breeze cooled the air, something didn’t seem quite right. I had gone on vacation for the specific purpose of finding a little peace and quiet, but now that I had it, it was causing a clenching queasiness in the pit of my stomach. After every cast I turned and scanned the brush behind me for snakes as I thought more than once that I heard a rustling in that brush. But there was nothing there. I scanned the trees and the skies as if I was some caveman who feared some prehistoric death from above. None of it was rational, but I didn’t care. My heart was pounding feverishly and my hands had even begun to tremble.

 

Oh stop it. You’re being ridiculous. I told myself.

 

I picked up my tackle box and started down the trail towards Peter. I called out to him as I got close to the place where I’d left him. I'd called him a few times and wondered why he didn’t answer when I remembered how he’d shushed me last year and admonished me about shouting by the water and frightening the fish. So I stopped calling to him and just worked my way down the path.


At the opening in the trail the trees opened up to an expanse of slow moving river. There by the water were Peter’s tackle box and fishing pole. But Peter was not there. I wondered where the hell he had gone for a moment, then I remembered the berry bushes that he’d commented on on our way in to the river. So I followed the trail to the berry bushes but there was no Peter. The ominous feeling of unease was beginning too come back as I hurried down the trail back to the river. There I began rooting through the brush. Maybe Peter had taken ill. After all he was 47 and had had one previous heart attack.



As I rummaged through the brush I found it, overgrown with weeds there was an old sign that had fallen down. I turned the sign over to see that it read ‘Danger, Crocodiles. Keep away from water.’

© 2011 Creepy Swine Guy


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Poor Peter! I do believe he was lunch! of course, that's just the way my mind works.
An ominously dark tale, with just the right amount of twisted humor thrown in for good measure. You left it wide open for the reader to deduce the fate of the narrator's freind. I like that...

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Poor Peter! I do believe he was lunch! of course, that's just the way my mind works.
An ominously dark tale, with just the right amount of twisted humor thrown in for good measure. You left it wide open for the reader to deduce the fate of the narrator's freind. I like that...

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love the unexpected twist. The ending leads us to believe that Peter was eaten, but it's so open that we could be wrong. Who knows? Maybe he just moved to a different spot. It's so well written. Another wonderful write.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
?
oh no, not Crocodiles
I did not expect this from the title. Nice story
Loved the unexpected ending

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

262 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 1, 2011
Last Updated on August 2, 2011

Author

Creepy Swine Guy
Creepy Swine Guy

Central, NY



About
The Ten Commandments of the Writer's Cafe (King Swine Version). 1. Thou shalt not plagiarize. 2. Thou shalt not treat badly any writer based on their age, social status, ability or creative view.. more..

Writing
Erased Erased

A Chapter by Creepy Swine Guy