Rain

Rain

A Story by T. Greyman
"

Love isn't as powerful as you might think. It comes in varying levels.

"
The bus pulls up to the stop.
You climb on and scan your card without even looking at the driver.
It's an early start, you're tired and grumpy, the bags under your eyes and the scowl you wear on your face tells it. You're not a morning person and it shows.
The weather reflects your mood. Cold, grey, and the rain does nothing to help matters.
Find a seat, easy enough. You go straight for the one towards the back that's completely empty so no-one will be sitting directly next to you. Better hope it stays that way.
Take your seat, look out the window and avoid eye contact with anyone near you. That's the way it goes.
There's something about buses that instantly makes you bleak and withdrawn, like a barrier that sucks most of the emotion out of you, leaving you not exactly empty, but just uncaring.
You change the song on your iPod to something you've probably listened to countless times before, the predictability is a little comforting.
And you stare out the window.
Small raindrops are falling across the window, you follow them with your eyes and smile a little.
Does it remind you of your childhood?
When you'd watch them have a little race you always rooted for a particular drop, sometimes it won, sometimes it didn't. You probably cheated a little and rooted for the one closest to the bottom.
Your nostalgic game takes you back.
Your childhood, when you still had fun. You didn't have to fear responsibility, fear independence, and your social life was empowered by the cool toys you owned or the funniest jokes you made.
The bus door opens, don't look around. But you do, you always do but you're not sure why.
Someone steps in, a young, short woman in a hoodie with shoulder length hair soaked and poking from the sides of the hood.
She turns away from the driver and looks for an empty seat.
She notices you, you notice her.
Your eyes lock for a second, just a second.
You feel perhaps compassion, lust, a dull form of love even?
You notice her sharp, blue eyes that pierce into you, even though they clearly itch with tiredness.
Her shabby, rushed outlook and that quick make-up job she put on this morning.
Not a morning person.
You look into each other, even though the time was small it was enough for you to feel deep affection.
I'm here to tell you that she felt it as well.
But that's stupid, you've never believed in the concept of soulmates, have you.
She sits somewhere behind you, finding a spare seat of her own so no-one is sitting next to her.
You think, "If I just stood up and sat next to her...", your mind probably going wild over a stranger at this point for no real reason, you're not lonely or a hopeless romantic.
But you still picture yourself making conversation, it's not awkward. You ask her for coffee, something simple. She says she can't, but there's something about you that intrigues her. She gives you her number if you ever want to hang out, you text her a few days later, you hit it off, start dating, grow up, get married, have kids.
This doesn't happen.
You remain in your seat, looking out that window.
You watch the rain as it goes down that window to the end.
That cold raindrop which fell from so high, only to hit a wall and travel its way down to the end.
Just like you.

© 2013 T. Greyman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Congratulations!
This piece made it to the top ten out of 373 other submissions of the "Promote Me! (Again)" contest.
For making it this far, if you submit this piece to the "Promote Me!" group library, then I will accept it into the library.
If you win the voting phase (which closes 7/18/14) then your piece will be featured on the "Promote Me!" group and other such promotions.
Link to group is: http://www.writerscafe.org/groups/Promote-Me%21/11216/

So, If you like this piece follow the following link and vote for it!
http://www.writerscafe.org/contests/Promote-Me%21-%28Again%29/50038/

I chose this piece because it artfully uses a small window to fully explore a missed chance. The POV, concept, and voice were strengths.
Favorite line: this doesn't happen.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

C. Rose

9 Years Ago

Boom. This piece is now in 94 more RR lists as your reward. I really wish I had 6 more friends so I .. read more
T. Greyman

9 Years Ago

Why are you so awesome?



Reviews

A nice piece, I loved it and laughed at the situation, we guys often do this. :) Nicely portrayed.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Wow, this piece is amazing. I love it, nicely penned.

Kaze~

Posted 9 Years Ago


If anyone's gotten the link to this story through the "Promote Me! (Again)" contest page, then I invite you to look at some of my other work.
A couple of favourites seem to be "The Mountain" and "An Outstretched Hand", and I'd recommend "The Painful Truth", "Behemoth of the Mind" and "Internal Monologues #1" as well.
Excuse the shameless plugging, I just got back into writing to find out one of the pieces I wrote seems to be doing pretty well.
Have fun and stay miserable.

Posted 9 Years Ago


I dig the second person narrative-poem style you have going here.
Very unique and speaks to the reader in a very interesting way. Second person is hard because it's easy to antagonize your reader, but you pulled it of gracefully. I like the slip into first person for a line. It has punch.
Great work!


Posted 9 Years Ago


This was a very interesting layout, a sort of blend between poetry and prose. Romance isn't usually my thing but I could relate to the parts about not being a morning person and the bus!

Posted 9 Years Ago


I thought that the layout was very strange, why did you set it up like that? I found that it had the feeling of a poem, but it wasn't. I found this intriguing because it happens very typically, and even with the second person view it still conveys the story without being dull. What's more I loved the way the second person view improved it. To me, it sounded like a voice in your head was narrating the events. The idea that love comes in a scale is interesting too, I would be interested if you did something else with a love higher up on the scale. Good job T.Greyman!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

T. Greyman

9 Years Ago

Thanks.
To be honest, writing about things involving love and such are a little out of my comf.. read more
T. Greyman

9 Years Ago

If you're into the second person narrative you might enjoy "Internal Monologues" or "Joyous Skin".read more
Mysana

9 Years Ago

The special thing with your story is that I actually don't like second person narration.
Congratulations!
This piece made it to the top ten out of 373 other submissions of the "Promote Me! (Again)" contest.
For making it this far, if you submit this piece to the "Promote Me!" group library, then I will accept it into the library.
If you win the voting phase (which closes 7/18/14) then your piece will be featured on the "Promote Me!" group and other such promotions.
Link to group is: http://www.writerscafe.org/groups/Promote-Me%21/11216/

So, If you like this piece follow the following link and vote for it!
http://www.writerscafe.org/contests/Promote-Me%21-%28Again%29/50038/

I chose this piece because it artfully uses a small window to fully explore a missed chance. The POV, concept, and voice were strengths.
Favorite line: this doesn't happen.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

C. Rose

9 Years Ago

Boom. This piece is now in 94 more RR lists as your reward. I really wish I had 6 more friends so I .. read more
T. Greyman

9 Years Ago

Why are you so awesome?
I like this story, how you manage to say so much within just a few words. The ending is very true to life. There are so many chances not taken. We are all so set in ours ways. Very poignant as the inner world of the main character is portrayed very sympathetically. You might try a version with the main character in the first person to compare which works best. Very unusual to use 'you' instead of 'I' or 'he' or 'she' but still a good choice as the story was very affecting that way.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Dem feels bro.
Also you're not exactly making this track easy to write... one drone track coming up...

Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
gcp
awww that's a sad story - I feel like a raindrop some days...

I'd say always go for it - better to regret something you did that something you didn't, right?

----------

minor typo : Your nostalgic game take you back - 'takes'?


Posted 11 Years Ago


T. Greyman

11 Years Ago

Changed it, I should probably proof read more clearly before I submit it, ha!
People don't rea.. read more
gcp

11 Years Ago

Sneaky typos get everywhere - I'm sure they breed in prose after it's posted!

Yeah, I g.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

489 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 9, 2013
Last Updated on March 9, 2013
Tags: Love, Loneliness, Sadness, Hope

Author

T. Greyman
T. Greyman

Barnet, North London, United Kingdom



About
One of you. more..

Writing
Hey, Dad. Hey, Dad.

A Story by T. Greyman



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Joyous Skin Joyous Skin

A Story by T. Greyman