Fairy Tale in the modern world.

Fairy Tale in the modern world.

A Story by mattefox
"

3 different fairy tales set in the modern world, with some animal rights undertones throughout.

"

 Once upon a time there lived three young adults; no, not fairies, not goblins, not princes or princesses. They didn’t live in a land far far away, nor a land called Oz, nor a place called Wonderland �" they were human, and they lived on a planet called Earth, unfortunately. This story will perhaps tell the tale of how these particular three humans survived on this place called Earth… or didn’t. OR, this story will perhaps tell the tale of how these three humans overcame certain obstacles, defeated their terrors, and subsequently lived happily ever after. But probably not.

 

Jack

4th March 2016 4:39pm

Chapter 1

 

The air was wet with secretion, and Jack’s hands were uncomfortably clammy. He paced the aisles of the warm warehouse-like building with his eyes almost glazed over; like a robot, he threw grains from a bucket and into lines of troughs. The longer Jack walked, the more he felt the intense ache deep in his bones… there was only twenty minutes until finishing time, he could make it.

Aisle after aisle of living meat, soon to be churned into hot dogs, sliced into bacon, ground into mince…  

Jack clutched his stomach…gagged… “Ugh” he groaned.

“Get out of here, Jack! I don’t want none of that mess here!” A strong cockney accent shouted from across the large, dim shed. “Dirty b*****d” he muttered.

Jack trundled through the puddle of vomit, and stepped it through the tiny sprinkles of hay that was barely covering the concrete floor. He made his way to the room in the back of the building, and slid down the corrugated iron wall.

“Clocking out early Jack?” a boyish voice said.

“I’m sick.” Jack replied.

“I can see that. You need some Magic Beans, my friend,” the voice belonged to a gangly young man who seemed to be making himself at home upon a previously tidy desk.

Jack’s eyes lit up slightly, “that sounds like you’re offering”

“Might be”

“Why are we still here then?”

“Alright, so we going to your place then?”

“Why not yours?”

“Parents are home”

“Peter, when are you gonna move out mate, you’re almost thirty for f***s sake.”

“Age is but a number, my friend!”

 

Jack wriggled the key a few times, and then used the little energy he had to nudge the door with his shoulder until it opened.

“I like what you’ve done with the place,” Peter mocked, whilst stepping over a stack of dirty plates and bowls. “Where’s your hot roommate?”

“Aurora? I reckon she’s asleep” Jack replied. There was newspaper covering the main window in the living room, and the only piece of furniture in sight was a stained mattress on the floor.

“This your bed?”

“Yeah.”

“At least you’ve got some good bedtime reading” Peter chuckled and leaped on the mattress.

“Here, take this,” Jack handed Peter a tablespoon, and a syringe.

“These are just delightful” Peter grinned; examining the yellowish tools he was presented with. “Now, I know you’re feeling eager, my friend, but I’m not using these.”

“What a fantastic time for you to become sensible” Jack swiftly pulled the tools away from Peter and stumbled to the kitchen. After a few moments of crashing and loud splashing water, Jack shouted for Peter to come in the kitchen.

“Do you have a belt on? Take it off” Jack asked, tapping his foot.

“Very forward of you,” Peter muttered through a grin.

 

 

Red

 5th March 2016 11:04am

Chapter 1

 

The security guards eyes narrowed as they followed Red around the aisles of the supermarket. She was wearing leopard print ugg boots and a crimson dressing gown and the security guard could not peel his eyes away from her gradient red and black hair. Red had convinced herself that she had built up quite the reputation in her new town, so she swiftly fished in her dressing gown pocket to find her tatty purse, to assure the security guard that she had money and intended on paying; the security guard raised his eyebrows and carried on his patrol of the subsequent aisles. Red was staring lovingly at the many choices of artery-clogging bacon but simply could not decide, so she picked her ‘bag for life’ up from the floor, and threw in about five different varieties of pig belly and back.

After a few moments of lingering around the self-service machines, she walked through the security system with her chin raised high, and skipped all the way home with her aluminum lined, woven bag filled with meat.

 

“Granny, I’m home, and I brought breakfast” Red shouted, entering the bungalow door.

 “…What did you get?” Red’s granny asked slumped in a sofa chair that seemed to hold an imprint of her body shape.

“Bacon, and lots of it”

“Get beef next time would you, you know I like beef”

“Will do Granny, do you want a sarnie?”
“Yes please, and a cup of tea if you wouldn’t mind love” Gran shuffled in her floral chair, grasping a piece of paper tightly in her palm.

Red put the rashers of bacon under the grill, walked back into the living room and stood between her grandmother and the 15-inch TV screen. “How are you?” she asked, with furrowed brows.

“Oh I’m fine love, don’t you worry about me,” she glimpsed at the piece of paper and immediately welled up.

“What’s that?” Red stood on her toes to mimic trying to look at the paper.

“It’s our Wolfie,” Gran tilted the piece of paper to reveal a photograph of a large, shaggy dog.

“Oh Granny, you mustn’t dwell on it �" he’s in a better place now, you know that. Wolfie wouldn’t have liked it here in Cornwall anyway; he loved the City too much.”

“You’re right about that Red �" bunch of carrot crunchers out here. Never liked country folk.” Granny scrunched up her nose. “Might be worse than those immigrants.”

“Oh Granny,” Red sighed, preparing herself for the usual rant.

“Hm, ain’t nobody worse than immigrants; stealing all our bloody jobs. They’re responsible for Wolfie’s death you know; if you’d have got that job at Tesco instead of that young Indian girl, we would have been able to afford the chemo bills. They come straight into our country and get handed everything they need”

“She was born in Manchester, Granny.” Shaking off the casual racism, Red proceeded to make the sandwiches by buttering the bread whilst staring out the window at the huge amount of empty land they had as their back garden.

 

 

Snow

7th March 2016 1:30pm

Chapter 1

 

The crowd began to push and shove, and everyone within half a mile radius could feel the rising tempers of the angry congregation. The gathering of people appeared to be showing solidarity with each other, but were directing all of their bottled up hatred towards a certain, yet unsuspecting building; it was a quaint, normal looking French restaurant that seemed to blend in with the rest of the buildings around Covent Garden. However, to these, mostly young individuals it seemed to spark such a range that never showed any signs of simmering down. Couples and families that walked out of the restaurant were also receiving a great deal of abuse from the crowd, shouting things like “You aren’t human, you have no compassion” and “Karma will kill you eventually”.

Finally, a chubby, stout looking fellow emerged from the restaurant doors rubbing his clammy hands together, and announced that he had had enough of the constant grief and that their company will be moving to a different location within the month.

“You do realise that is not the point, don’t you?” A tall woman with a threatening black bob haircut moved her way to the front of the crowd to measure herself up to the hunched over man.

“What do you want from us?” He said.

“We want you to stop serving foie grais, it’s disgusting… you’re disgusting.” 

Several cheers were heard from within the crowd.

“It is our best selling dish. You do not understand; why do you care about what we sell?”

The crowd laughed.

“No, it’s you who clearly doesn’t understand. Do you know how they make foie grais? Of course you do, but it seems that you need your memory refreshed… Roughly twice a day, ducks and geese are force-fed through a tube… a tube that is pushed 5 inches down their small throats, and about four pounds of grain and fat is pumped down into these tubes… All so you can tuck into their delicious fattened livers and satisfy your fat, greedy stomachs.” The woman slowly edged closer to the manager’s face, seeing him grow paler and slightly green. “I’m feeling quite peckish actually, how about I do the same to you?”

“They are just animals,” the manager of the restaurant said, and panic immediately filled his wide, red face.

 

Jack

5th March 2016 2pm

Chapter 2

 

Jack rolled over onto his back and peeled open his eyes; Peter was snoring loudly, curled up in the corner, and Jack had a pulsing headache �" both signs of a good night.

“Oi, Peter” said Jack, throwing a burnt spoon at his head.

“What?” He rolled onto his side and squinted at Jack.

“Shall we pick up again?”

“Are you mad?” Peter scrunched up his face and turned the other way.

“…What are you doing then?”

“Going back to sleep”

“…Ok” Jack clutched his head and rested it lightly on a pillow whilst gazing at the ceiling, “I had a crazy dream”

“That’s nice” Peter grabbed the blanket and pushed it against his ears.

“I woke up and there was this huge tree outside my window… so huge, like, too huge to be real. God knows why, but I decided to climb up it… it took me ages… and when I finally go to the top… there was nothing there… Weird, right?” Jack stopped gazing at the ceiling for a moment to peer over at Peter, who was fast asleep again. “Right.”

Thump, thump, thump. Jack needed to get rid of his headache, and in the fastest, most convenient way.

 

“Gregg? You all right, mate? Yeah, it’s Jack, how’s it going? You got about a quarter of a gram? Yeah, nothing much �" just for me init” Jack stood up, balancing his phone between his shoulder and ear, whilst hopping on one leg trying to put on his jeans. “Sweet, see you in ten,” and he shot out of the door.

 

Jack jogged to an alleyway next to a convenience store near the harbor, and nibbled on a half eaten snickers bar he found in his pocket whilst he waited. The dealer walked around the corner with furrowed brows and tightened fists; his exterior oozed that of a bulldog, (or a giant), he had a barrel-chest and a large, bulky head.

“Hey Gregg, what’s up man, it’s been a while” said Jack, with a smile on his face; however, the smile was not returned from Gregg, his eyebrows were lowered, narrowing his eyes, and his jaw stiffened.

“You’re a right piss taker. Where’s my money?” asked Gregg.

“I…I owe you money?”

“Try, £700”

“Are you sure?”

“I don’t forget”

“You know what they say, elephants never forget,” Jack muttered.

“What did you say?”

“Nothing, I was agreeing with you, I trust you, Gregg. If you say I owe you £700, I owe you £700.”

“And you had the cheek to call me up, you’re a pathetic addict mate”

“I’m sorry. I’m stupid. I forget things. I’m an idiot”

“Where’s the cash then?” Gregg’s cholesterol ridden face grew redder.

“Listen, Gregg, I am sorry �" and I will get this money to you man! But I have no money at the moment.”

“How were you gonna pay me for the quarter gram then?”

“I was kinda hoping that I could just owe you…” Jack smiled, and winced.

“…You’re getting me this money by the end of next week, or you’re fucked.”

“What do you want me to do? I’m on about £8 an hour. You’re asking for a miracle Gregg.”

“Don’t f*****g say my name again.”

“Tell me what to do, and I’ll do it.”

“Get my money. That’s what I want. And get it by next week.”

“What do you want me to do?” Jack yelled.

“Sell one of your bloody cows for all I care, just get the money,” and he walked off.

There was clearly an air of sarcasm in what Gregg suggested, but he didn’t care, it was a great idea in his mind.

 

“Dairy Cow 4 Sale

Prized Breed

Price Negotiable

Contact: [email protected]

 

Jack posted on the “Cornish Sellers” Facebook group, and patiently awaited the many expected replies.

 

“First of all, if you want anyone to take you seriously as a salesman, you’re gonna need to change your profile pic” Peter said.

“Why?”

“You’ve got a spliff in your mouth”

“Fair enough. Will you take one?”

“Yeah, stand in front of the newspapers �" it’s arty.”

“Good idea,” Jack shuffled in front of his window, and flashed a cheesy smile.

“That’s great. The replies will come piling in, don’t you worry.”

 

The sun went down, evening arrived, and still no responses. Jack began to give up hope, until he received a message from someone named “[email protected]”:

 

“Interested in ur cow. Can we meet up to discuss before? Where do u live?”

 

Jack rejoiced in the response, and the two arranged to meet at the harbor pub the next day.

 

Morning arrived and Jack eagerly jogged down towards the harbor and waited patiently with a pint of water at the bar. After a few moment of swinging his feet at the bar stool, he noticed a woman entering the pub; she had long red hair pulled back into a tight bun, and was wearing equally as tight clothes that showed lots of cleavage; she had drooping grey circles under her eyes, which contrasted with the sky blue of her iris.

Jack was unsure how to attract her attention, as they did not exchange names, so he simply stuttered, “…Cow?” Luckily the woman turned his way, and flashed a smile, “Hi, I’m Red.”

 

They both talked for over an hour, and Jack jogged back up to his house with a lighthearted smile.

 

“How much you getting?” Peter asked, jumping up and down on the mattress.

“Nothing,” Jack mumbled, not looking Peter in the eye.

“What? Why?” Peter immediately stopped in his tracks, “She didn’t take you seriously did she? It’s the dungarees, I bet”

“Whatever, I don’t want to talk about it �" let’s just do it again”

 

“Dairy Cow 4 Sale

Prized Breed

Price Negotiable

Contact: [email protected]

 

A couple of days passed, and Jack finally got a response:

 

“Dear Jack,

How old is your cow? Is she in good condition? I would like to meet you at Clover Heath Land car park tomorrow at noon.

I can offer £2000, and nothing more.

Hope to hear from you soon.

 

Kind regards,

Mrs. White”

 

Jack jumped for joy; so many questions ran through his mind, but nothing was going to stop him from meeting this woman. He waited until roughly 10PM, and then made his way to the farm.  

 

Jack had never been to the farm at night before; you would think it would be peaceful and full of sleeping cows… but that was not the case. He was roughly 100 meters away and he could hear groaning and ‘mooing’ from the animals trapped inside. He dodged the security cameras, and squeezed through a gap in the corrugated iron walls. He hastily ran through the aisles trying to find a semi-healthy animal, but none were to be found; if their ribs weren’t showing prominently, then they would have sores in their eyes and feet, or have swelling and lesions over their udders. I can’t sell any of these things, Jack thought to himself.

Finally, he came across a cow that physically didn’t have anything that made her look ill; Jack grabbed the cow, and pulled her to her feet.

 

Jack stored the cow in his truck outside his house until morning; by 11:45am he set off to the heath to meet the eager buyer, whistling all the way.

 

Slightly late, Jack parked his truck opposite the buyers and climbed out clumsily; “Hey, I’m Jack,” he said, glancing at the slender woman; he stared for a while, admiring her long, perfectly sculpted legs, and how her yellow skirt fitted perfectly around them. “So, what are you going to use old Milky White for then? She produces some great milk, I’ll tell you that,” said Jack.

The woman remained silent, staring at him.

“Once she’s dry, she’ll make some great burgers,” said Jack, “enough to feed the whole family.”

Still, silence.

“…Maybe just a farm hand then?”

“I’m taking this cow, and I’m not paying you a penny, scum,” said the ominous, Ms. White.

“…Sorry?” said Jack, lifting one brow.

“You heard me,” said the woman, raising her chin slightly and strengthening her jaw.

“…Um, I don’t think I can allow you to do that,” Jack stepped backwards slowly towards his truck, but before he knew it he was being strangled by someone behind him with huge, hairless arms.

 

Once he regained consciousness, Jack looked around him to find that the two criminals were nowhere to be seen. He rubbed his neck, then checked his phone and saw that he had a text from Red:

 

“Great news. Meet me at the harbour my love X”

 

Jack shook off his confusion and hopped back into his truck and drove away to meet Red.

 

After suffering some bouts of blurred vision and nearly crashing twice, Jack finally made it to the habour safe and sound, and saw his true love waiting for him. “Red, what’s up? What’s happening?” said Jack, grabbing her by the waist.

“I escaped from Granny’s house, I can move in with you. And I brought you a present…” Red smiled.

“That’s amazing, Red. What is it?”

Red fished in her dressing gown pocket and pulled out a wad of twenty-pound notes, “I stole her pension.”

They both smiled at each other, “I know what we should do with that… Let me just call my mate,” Jack got out his phone, “Hey Pete �"“

 

Jack looked around his unfurnished living room, and watched the two people he loved the most get along just like he imagined they would. Peter showed Red how to cook the Magic Beans, and Red watched attentively. Jack grinned whilst inhaling deeply and slipping back into his drug-induced dream climbing up the Beanstalk.    

 

Red

5th March 2016 5:20pm

Chapter 2

 

Red and her Granny sat in the living room and watched reality TV shows together until the early evening; Red was mindlessly scrolling down Facebook and came across something that caught her attention:

 

“Dairy Cow 4 Sale

Prized Breed

Price Negotiable

Contact: [email protected]

 

Red turned to her Granny and observed her sad eyes, she thought of how happy it would make her. She also thought of how the cow would be a great investment because they could start selling milk, and then when she’s milked dry, they could both eat her for tea. Little did Red know that a cow has to continuously be impregnated for her to produce milk… But her excitement did not allow for her to think that deeply.

 

The next day came, and Red made her way to the harbor pub where she had arranged to meet the ‘Jacky boi’ fellow.

“…Cow?” A skinny young man, with a sunken face called over to Red.

“Hi, I’m Red,” she strutted over to the bar and plopped herself down next to him.

“Jack.”

“So, you’ve got a cow for me, that’s so cool” she squeaked innocently; despite her worn out, haggard appearance, her voice was young and innocent.

“Yes, yes I do. So, why are you interested in my beloved… Milky White?”

“Oh it’s a long story really, don’t wanna bore you. I live with my Granny, and it seems luck has been against us lately you know; her dog, Wolfie, died recently, and then we found out that we can’t afford our house in London anymore so we had to move down here, it’s quite nice really but Granny hates it. Now Granny’s quite ill too but we can’t afford anything to help her like a stair lift and whatever, because our benefits have been cut. Granny reckons it’s the rise of immigrants coming in, but I think that’s rubbish.”

“Well, I’m sorry about all that,”

“Sorry, didn’t mean to tell you me life story.” Red began fiddling with her hands, “So, how much do you want for the cow, two hundred quid?” Red’s eyes lit up.

“…Nothing.”

“What? Is it because you want sex? Well I don’t do that anymore, I don’t care what you’ve heard about me.”

“I’m giving her to you for free” Jack flashed a half-hearted smile, “I can’t make you pay. I can tell you’ll take good care of her.”

“I’m speechless” she smiled, and kissed Jack on the cheek, “thank you so much, you will make Granny so happy.”

“I’ll drop her off tomorrow.”

 

Sitting in their usual spot, Red and Granny watched Jeremy Kyle whilst eating the remainders of their bacon, “god knows why those Muslims would be against eating this stuff �" don’t trust anyone who doesn’t eat meat, ain’t that right Red, my love?” said Granny, chewing with her mouth open.

“Yes Granny,” she groaned, staring at the front door patiently awaiting Jack’s arrival.

Ding, dong.

“Who’s that? Better not be any bible bashers, tell them to go away love” said Granny.

Red leaped out of her seat and rushed to the door.

“Hi” she said.

“One dairy cow for… A little miss Red?” Jack smiled.

“What did he say? Who is it?” asked Granny.

“It’s my friend Granny,” Red replied. “Bring her round the back” she whispered, and closed the door.

“Weren’t you going to introduce me?” asked Granny. “Was it your boyfriend?”

“Come to the back garden Granny,” Red assisted her Granny to the back door, and told her to watch out for a truck.

“What are you playing at girl? It’s cold out here,” Granny said, squinting as she looked into the distance. A few seconds later Jack arrived in his truck, parked next to the gate and hopped out.

“Just watch, Granny” Red pleaded.

“Who’s that skinny boy? Oh love, he better not be your boyfriend. How about your last boyfriend, the hunter bloke… He was bloody gorgeous, so manly.”

“Shh Granny.”

They both watched silently as Jack opened the back of his truck, jumped inside the dark hole and then slowly began pulling out a large figure.

“What is that, Red? What is this boy putting in our garden?” Granny shouted.

“It’s a cow, Granny, for you.” Red held her Granny’s hands and looked into her aged eyes. “Do you like it?”

“What do I want with a bloody cow, love?” Granny stared back, blankly.

“…You…you like beef. And, I thought we could sell her milk to get some extra money…” said Red, stuttering.

“Cows have to be bloody pregnant for them to produce milk, you foolish girl. Do you want to impregnate that cow? Show me how to take care of a cow, show me how to milk it. You absolute fool.” Granny snatched her hands from Red’s grip, and walked back into the living room. “Get rid of the foolish thing.”

At this point, Jack was running through the large green garden, smiling widely at Red. “Did she love it?” he asked.

“Take her back” Red said, looking at the floor, not blinking.

“Wah…What? Why?”

“She hates it, she hates the cow, and she hates me too.”

“Your Gran doesn’t hate you Red.” He pulled her closer to him, and she nuzzled into his neck.

“…Yeah, the truth is…” Red looked up at Jack, “I hate the b***h! She makes me steal meat for her, and then she makes me feel guilty for it. She’s a huge racist, and she thinks she can get away with it because she’s old. She thinks I owe her my life because she took me in when my parents died… I didn’t ask to be saved by her! She’s an evil, old witch.” Everything seemed to come out of Red’s mouth at 100 miles per hour; she exhaled deeply afterwards, as if a huge burden had been lifted off of her. “She always loved that stupid, ugly dog more than she loved me, she didn’t even care when it tried to kill me �" she sent me out of the house-”

“- Let’s live together,” said Jack, interrupting.

“…What?”

“Me and you, let’s move out.” Jack smiled, “I don’t have any money at the moment, but I reckon I can get some pretty fast. I’m gonna take back this cow, and I’m gonna sell her if it’s the last thing I do.” He pulled Red in closer, and kissed her passionately.

A smile filled Red’s face, “I’m sorry I can’t look after Milky White for you”

“Who?”

“…Your cow”

“Oh yeah, right. Anyway, got to go, see you,” he kissed her again, and ran off.

Red swiftly wiped the grin off of her face, stormed into the living room and switched off the television.

“Oi, I was watching that,” Granny shouted, “Have you got rid of that blasted animal?”

Red widened her legs, and folded her arms, “I’m moving out, Granny.”

“No you bloody well aren’t”

“I am.”

“When?”

“Today?”

“Today? Hah! Where are you going to find the money, you’re useless and unemployed.”

“I’m moving in with Jack, and we’re going to live happily ever after.”

“Oh shut up you stupid girl. You’ll come back groveling to me in no time, you always mess everything up,”

“You’re a horrible person, I’m never coming back,” Red raised her voice, releasing anger that she had held in for years. “All you do is boss me around, make me steal for you, make me go and fetch stuff around town all of the time, make me cook and clean for you �" I’m not Cinderella, Granny, I’m Red.”

“Stop talking about those ridiculous Fairy Tales you foolish little b***h. Your cousins, Hansel and Gretel will come and look after me, I don’t need you. Get out, you ungrateful wretch.”

“Hansel and Gretel have always hated you. They’re scared of you. Oh, and you know why that is? You want to know why they never visit?” Red grimaced, “when they were younger I told them that you eat little children,” she shouted, triumphing in Granny’s horrified face.

Red picked up her woven bag, stepped out the front door, slamming it behind her �" then skipped all the way down the road, still in her red dressing gown.

 

 

Snow

7th March 2016 2pm

Chapter 2

 

Snow hopped into a red truck, whilst dusting off her hands and smiling; “Hi baby” she kissed the tall, clean-shaven driver.

“How did it go?” the driver, presumably her boyfriend, smiled and started the car.

“Okay” her grin widened as they drove out of central London.

 Her boyfriend looked backwards and forewords trying to concentrate on the road but also trying to read Snow’s facial expression. “What did you do this time?”

“I didn’t do anything to him that he didn’t deserve!”

Her boyfriend shook his head, “you look beautiful by the way, despite your terrible temper.”

“Oh you’re so charming.” Snow blushed, reapplying her blood red lipstick in the mirror.

 

They drove into a side road in the heart of Brixton, and entered a small apartment building.

“Hi guys, how’s everything going?” Snow asked, linking arms with her boyfriend and observing the room that held seven young men on computers.

“Achoo, not bad, Snow; I’ve made some banners for the �" achoo - protest at KFC next Tuesday,” said the first man.

“Brilliant. Can one of you check out anything going on in the Cornwall area? I’m visiting my parents in St. Agnes tomorrow and I wanted to see if we could widen our influence.”

“Guess that’ll be me then…” a second man replied.

“What’s wrong with you?” Snow asked.

“Oh, he’s just �" achoo �" grumpy again,” said the first man.

“I’ll answer for myself, thanks. Maybe if you wouldn’t sneeze every four seconds I’d be able to concentrate, and be in a better mood.” Said the second man.

“Boys, boys, it’s fine, I’ll do it” said Snow.

Seconds later, “I got something” a third man said.

“That quickly? Great job.”

“Happy to do it” the third man flashed Snow a wide smile.  “There’s a guy in the Crosscombe area by the harbor who is selling a dairy cow by the looks of it.”

“Let me talk to him” Snow sped to the computer and grabbed the keyboard, “Tomorrow at noon… Secluded car park… Nobody to hear him scream…”

“Snow! Stop that.” Her boyfriend demanded.

“We’re leaving at 7am tomorrow morning, baby” Snow grinned, “and great job boys, I’ll make dinner at 8.”

 

The next morning Snow and her ken-doll boyfriend set off on their five-hour journey from London to Cornwall; they were both singing harmoniously for the majority of the trip and their voices were like something out of a… I don’t know… A fiction book of some sort!

“Your voice is so charming,” Snow smiled at her boyfriend, “How close are we?”

“About… five minutes,” he said, checking the Sat Nav.

“I’m going to crush this peasant,” said Snow, aggressively biting into an apple.

“Snow, princess, I’m not going to let you get out of this car if you don’t calm down” her boyfriend placed his airbrushed-like hands on her leg. “We don’t want an incident like the last time,”

“I’ll be good, I promise. Just get out of the car and grab him if I signal you too”, said Snow; she extended the end of a deep, red lipstick and glided it across her lips, puckering them slightly as to suggest a kiss.

 

They both sat in the car for a few moments, awaiting the seller, and Snow passed the time by filing her nails into a sharp point; her boyfriend sat watching her lovingly.

“He’s coming, I see him,” said Snow, hopping out of the car. She stood in front of the truck; her legs stood apart, one hand on her hip and the other grasping a shiny, half-eaten apple. The seller scrambled out of his truck, and Snow tensed her shoulders so as to stop herself from laughing at him.

“Hey, I’m Jack,” the cow seller reached slightly forward to initiate a handshake but Snow didn’t even twitch, so he gradually moved backwards and just smiled.

 

Jack, the cow seller, spoke some nonsense for a while �" stuff that was slowly, but surely causing Snow to bubble up with rage. She tactfully remained silent for a few moments, and Jack grew confused, until she mentioned to him that she intended on rescuing the cow, and paying him nothing.

“…Umm, I don’t think I can allow you to do that,” Jack stepped backwards slowly towards his truck.

Snow hit her truck, seconds later her boyfriend jumped out and grasped Jack by the neck until he stopped struggling and closed his eyes.

“Is he out?” asked Snow, jogging over to Jack’s truck to set the cow free.

“Yes princess,” he replied, setting Jack down onto the floor. “He’ll be awake any second now so we need to get her moving,” he grabbed the rope around the cow’s neck, and pulled as hard as he could without hurting her. “Come on, girl.”

 

The couple sped off in their truck, cheering and laughing, before the cow seller even regained consciousness. “Are meat-eaters getting more stupid or is it just me?” said Snow.

“That guy was an idiot,” said her boyfriend.

“It breaks my heart to see animals being treated this way. Just the other day I rescued three blind mice from the science center �" disgusting”

“That’s awful Snow,” her boyfriend patted her on the shoulder with the other hand still occupying the wheel.

“Look, a café. Let’s stop off there; I hope they have some Vegan food.”

The couple parked outside the motorway café, and walked in together hand in hand. “Ooh apples” said Snow, excitedly trotting over to the candy apple stall. “Buy me one, please, charming?”

“Sure, my princess - two candy apples please,” said Snow’s boyfriend.

The woman selling the apples was silent for a few moments, then she leant down behind her counter and took out a shiny, large red candy apple, “A special apple for the lovely lady” she grinned, and handed snow the glistening fruit.

 

 


 

© 2017 mattefox


Author's Note

mattefox
Something I did for University a couple of years ago.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

153 Views
Added on November 26, 2017
Last Updated on November 26, 2017
Tags: animals, animal rights, vegan, fairy tale, fairy, tale, fantasy, jack and the giant beanstalk, snow white, little red riding hood, story, modern world, twist

Author

mattefox
mattefox

Kent, United Kingdom



About
20 years old Studying English and American Literature with Creative Writing Love everything animal and nature I try to write when I can more..

Writing
Book. Book.

A Poem by mattefox