DANDELIONS

DANDELIONS

A Poem by NeiL ArandA
"

If nothing ever changed; there would be no butterflies

"

 

Dandelions


I wish people would watch where they are going

But it's hard to navigate around these narrow sidewalks

 

If they would just simply accept me

I'll trade and move across the street

Where there's much space to wiggle

and not be confined on this parched,

precarious concrete crack

 

Not much rain this year either

Yet thank God, I managed to bloom !

But it was damaged and trampled

not once, not twice but a hundred times over

 

I wish people would watch where they are stepping

Nevertheless, I might still,

still attract some prospects this summer

 

I hear again the laughter of daisies and tulips

across that well manicured lawn

 Where monsoons come almost regularly,

everyday from the ground

 

No wonder butterflies and bees congregate there

The grass is greener and their flowers

are more vibrant and sweeter

 

Then out of the blue, you came

Fluttering in your most gorgeous

gossamer wings

And you graze my flower...



by Neil ArandA  05/02/2014

 

 

© 2015 NeiL ArandA


Author's Note

NeiL ArandA


Whether you love them or hate them, dandelions are among the most familiar plants in the world.
They're one species that just about anyone can identify at a glance, as familiar to humans as the dog. Dandelions are, quite possibly, the most successful and resilient plants that exist, masters of survival worldwide.

Nowadays, they're also the most unpopular plant in the neighborhood – but it wasn't always that way. Only in the twentieth century did humans decide that the dandelion was a weed before the invention of lawns.

Butterflies and bees by nature aren't really attracted to dandelions. Their flowers are minute and don't hold enough nectar for sustenance and honey production.

Words and thoughts inspired by Kalypso ...

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is beautiful Neil, I love it! It is a shame that people do not watch where they are stepping and trample over the most sensitive souls... leaving dirty footsteps all over their hearts. You have captured the sadness of the forlorn... the loneliness of the outcasted...yet gave them the light of hope that even those cast aside are treasures in the eye of a butterfly.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

NeiL ArandA

9 Years Ago

waiting for your next visit
Ghost of Jupiter

9 Years Ago

I silently visit this one often...flutter in and flutter out without a sound... it is a lovely spot .. read more
NeiL ArandA

7 Years Ago

Don't stop writing K



Reviews

This was really moving Neil. The personification of the weed and its thoughts of its surrounds, its lot in life, its reason for being. Really inventive and well told. They are so resilient though and you also conveyed that well here.
I have to say that we may think similarly because I have often looked in admiration at the buddleia bushes that grow out of chimney stacks no less, all year round and thought - what a tough wee plant they are too.
A grand write filled with life lessons and metaphor. Good penning Neil.
:)

Posted 9 Years Ago


NeiL ArandA

8 Years Ago

Sorry for the late reply to your review ANTO. I do agree with you. What we sometimes minimize, margi.. read more
Awww This is so sweet. You know... dandelions can grow anywhere, even in the most harsh places... perhaps they are meant to inspire strength.
A great write.
I wrote a story about a flower garden titled Room Enough to Bloom. Feel free to read it.

Posted 9 Years Ago


NeiL ArandA

8 Years Ago

Thank you for grazing this piece Melinda and spending your time here.
What an amazing, compelling piece! As a flower gardner, I was made to feel quite ashamed of my treatment of the ever abundant dandelion. (the leaves made a GREAT salad, though.) As we can apply this to our lives, where we overlook, forget about (or try), and turn our heads to what is conceived as ugly, or unpleasing to the eye. The line "I wish people would watch where they are going" is very powerful in this piece as people only have eyes for their cell phones or the task at hand. Loved this! You certainly made me think!

Posted 9 Years Ago


NeiL ArandA

9 Years Ago

You can really relate to this Riss .... I used and poured out all the experiences I encountered in l.. read more
I share your opinion about this beautiful flower. Here in Belgium it's also considered as a weed. We also have the thistle, a purple flower that is also considered as weed and I think it's one of the most beautiful flowers in nature and it's also very resilient.
I like the metaphor you use with this flower in your poem. Nonetheless they need no special furtiliser or beautiful grass, they still grow and coulour our roadsides in their simplicity. Picture them away and everything will be dull and grey. Very well done, Neil.

Posted 9 Years Ago


NeiL ArandA

9 Years Ago

Thank you Rudi for your thoughts. I have seen people on another part of the globe. How they thrive a.. read more
Rudi J.P. Lejaeghere

9 Years Ago

My pleasure, Neil, have a good day. :) Rudi
This reminds me of a novel by renown Japanese writer Natsume Souseki titled "Grass on the Wayside", and his autobiographical tale of having people tread upon his heart with indifference, being crushed under the weight of obligations and shallow human interactions which grew empty over the years... and the way that he would confine himself to 'the wayside', wary of others in his life. In fact the novel ends with him remarking that it was futile to avoid those sorts of things, because everything would just keep repeating. That by his nature, he was meant to be trodden underfoot. Not exactly a cheerful story, but unfortunately one which many can relate to. I like the way that you take this sort of idea, and combine it with such an ambivalent plant such as the Dandelion, either a flower, or a weed? There is something magical about that moment when we connect with someone else in a profound way that seems to give meaning to life that we thought could never exist. To have someone gently touch us, to connect, and to share a moment which matters to both... rather than indifferent steps, a gentle grace. To be accepted as more than just a weed, or even a flower, but rather for who we are.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

NeiL ArandA

9 Years Ago

Nusquam. It seems to me that you are well verse with Japanese stories and may have read thousands of.. read more
Nusquam Esse

9 Years Ago

Yes, I lived in Japan and I speak Japanese; so I naturally am well versed with Japanese culture and .. read more
Many aspects here to consider. This is a treasure of concepts. The prospective is illuminating on several levels.

Posted 9 Years Ago


NeiL ArandA

9 Years Ago

Thanks Valormore...Thanks for dropping by again.
Plants fall in and out of fashion. Black-Eyed-Susans are weeds too. I love them. I love dandelions the most when they are ready to fly. I like the poem and the metaphor I see in this...if only they would watch where they step...we are all delicate and especially beautiful at times I think.

Posted 9 Years Ago


NeiL ArandA

9 Years Ago

Appreciate your thoughts here Icelandicblue... Yes you are right. Everyone no matter how misplace an.. read more
I do love this on so much. Well done.

Posted 9 Years Ago


NeiL ArandA

9 Years Ago

I promised someone that I would write her a piece as a token of her friendship . Not knowing how and.. read more
Matching Socks

9 Years Ago

You're welcome Neil. I read this on HP too and I adored it. Beautiful.
There is so much one can take from this. Truly brilliant. I like the concept of a flower being alone staring across the field at the ones that flock together. It reminds me of being in high school, sitting by myself in the lunch room with my book, looking up from the pages at the "popular" crowd, wondering why the always seemed to attract so much attention. Great food for thought, this is. Well done.

Posted 9 Years Ago


NeiL ArandA

9 Years Ago

So many feel and can relate to what you just said. They are many picky butterflies but they are some.. read more
I love dandelions :) This is a very cool poem, great job! :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


NeiL ArandA

9 Years Ago

Thanks Kieta for the visit and your time

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

3314 Views
24 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on May 2, 2014
Last Updated on July 15, 2015
Tags: Friendship, Loneliness, Weeds and Butterflies, Compassion, Indifference, Hardships, Affluence, Poverty

Author

NeiL ArandA
NeiL ArandA

Pearl of the Orient Seas



About
JESUS AND THE SPARROWS Consider The Sparrow Here Jesus was walking alone along the Mediterranean Sea near Tiberius in the northern part of Israel and He offers seeds to some sparrows searchi.. more..

Writing
ABSCOND ABSCOND

A Poem by NeiL ArandA



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Aware Aware

A Poem by Sami Khalil