DANDELIONS

DANDELIONS

A Poem by NeiL ArandA
"

If nothing ever changed; there would be no butterflies

"

 

Dandelions


I wish people would watch where they are going

But it's hard to navigate around these narrow sidewalks

 

If they would just simply accept me

I'll trade and move across the street

Where there's much space to wiggle

and not be confined on this parched,

precarious concrete crack

 

Not much rain this year either

Yet thank God, I managed to bloom !

But it was damaged and trampled

not once, not twice but a hundred times over

 

I wish people would watch where they are stepping

Nevertheless, I might still,

still attract some prospects this summer

 

I hear again the laughter of daisies and tulips

across that well manicured lawn

 Where monsoons come almost regularly,

everyday from the ground

 

No wonder butterflies and bees congregate there

The grass is greener and their flowers

are more vibrant and sweeter

 

Then out of the blue, you came

Fluttering in your most gorgeous

gossamer wings

And you graze my flower...



by Neil ArandA  05/02/2014

 

 

© 2015 NeiL ArandA


Author's Note

NeiL ArandA


Whether you love them or hate them, dandelions are among the most familiar plants in the world.
They're one species that just about anyone can identify at a glance, as familiar to humans as the dog. Dandelions are, quite possibly, the most successful and resilient plants that exist, masters of survival worldwide.

Nowadays, they're also the most unpopular plant in the neighborhood – but it wasn't always that way. Only in the twentieth century did humans decide that the dandelion was a weed before the invention of lawns.

Butterflies and bees by nature aren't really attracted to dandelions. Their flowers are minute and don't hold enough nectar for sustenance and honey production.

Words and thoughts inspired by Kalypso ...

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is beautiful Neil, I love it! It is a shame that people do not watch where they are stepping and trample over the most sensitive souls... leaving dirty footsteps all over their hearts. You have captured the sadness of the forlorn... the loneliness of the outcasted...yet gave them the light of hope that even those cast aside are treasures in the eye of a butterfly.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

NeiL ArandA

9 Years Ago

waiting for your next visit
Ghost of Jupiter

9 Years Ago

I silently visit this one often...flutter in and flutter out without a sound... it is a lovely spot .. read more
NeiL ArandA

7 Years Ago

Don't stop writing K


Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pax
Upon finishing reading this, I went back to my review about the weeds. Yes Dandelion is a certain type of weed, that goes and roam the lands in their free nature. Perhaps in me, I believed that a weed has a free spirited nature.

“If they would just simply accept me”

This particular line struck many cords in my being and to whomever read this. I guess all in some way or the other we would feel not accepted in society or family or in a crowd, there are various reason to why, I can only view a few; Like its either a matter of personal perception or an impression that is wrongly viewed or you simply didn’t suites to a person’s personal taste of appearance or attitude. Perhaps that is why we as a community or a group there will be atleast one or a group of persons would stand-out or be left-out. Either way it’s part of how our own personal taste becomes who we are and how unique are we from the other. If someone or a group of people didn’t accept me, I am sure there are others will. Because I always believe about this saying: “You can never please everybody”. With that thought, If I don’t fit in anyone’s standards, then it’s not my problem, we please those who believes in us, not those who didn’t a single bit.

-I wish people would watch where they are going-
-I wish people would watch where they are stepping-

Me too, how I wish that’s applicable to all or applicable to all situations, but sadly it isn’t. Not all people were shown the path of the light or taught by rich old wisdom. Some of us walks upon in the darker edge of the road, that is why some people doesn’t really care who they step upon. Some are just good enough to take careful notice or barely not notice at all whomever they’ve stepped upon. I guess what I am saying is, we can never judge easily on why a person didn’t see the destruction or effects to where they walk upon. Because I know there is reason to everything we do or act upon. All I could say is that we must be considerate first and then well know.

The ending was nice, I like it, and I was reading the authors note about: “Butterflies and bees by nature aren't really attracted to dandelions.” I watch this documentary about plant on how they think. I learned that by instinct plants do whatever is necessary for them to live, like us they learned to adapt, they learned to defend themselves or how to attract pollinators to them. So I guess dandelion found a way or learned how to attract pollinators.

Also this piece led me to think on why we segregate ourselves from other blooming town, or why we live a different life, alone in the road full of strollers, or why we live such indifference.

---“maybe because some choices we’ve made leads to this path, either for us to learned something the hard way or to experience life and leave more room for growth in due time. Either way our endurance and survival are based on how we strive to live, love, adapt, cope & hope.”

Also this piece reminds me how we humans create such destructive path toward nature, leaving them breathless & some going extinct because of habitat lost and deforestation… and How humans live without careful watch that some of our processing technologies are depleting our natural resources. So in this perspective, we as humans forget to be considerate and be watchful on what we took or step upon. I guess all of us learned our lesson the hard way and sometimes it becomes too late for us to even realized what we’ve done.

I hope I am making sense here, lol, so glad I came by and read this wonderful piece my friend, and it’s been several months I haven’t written a much longer review like this, thanks for sharing a thought provoking piece, yet again…

This piece talks about human nature and the beauty of nature combine together in a harmonious poetry. Very expressive piece…. Saved to faves!





Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 3 people found this review constructive.

NeiL ArandA

9 Years Ago

I have seen once again your sharp edged review Pax. It took me a while to reply to this for I don't .. read more
Pax

9 Years Ago

"He lavish one plant so much and He deprived the other on the other hand."

ahh, that's .. read more
Many layers to peel here, I love butterflies, and I've always been intrigued by dandelions, so you had me there already but your stunning poetry won me over....simply beautiful.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Wow. This was indeed vibrant and sweeter than honey.
"I hear again the laughter of daisies and tulips
across that well manicured lawn
Where monsoons come almost regularly,
everyday from the ground"

I'm still taking in th beauty of your words and descriptions...Excellent...:)..........................

Posted 9 Years Ago


I am delighted to have come across this today...a truly magnificent piece of work!

My best,
Kelly

Posted 9 Years Ago


NeiL ArandA

9 Years Ago

Kelly thank you that you find this piece interesting. I will return the favor .
Non-toxic, edible, vitamin-packed and reputed to be an herbal cure-all - all from a humble little plant. Who are the dandelions in our lives? Overlooked, unrecognized and yet thriving in the most unlikely circumstances. But therein lies the humility and potency of souls who can thrive in the most adverse of conditions and produce something that might be needed at some point in time.
Character lies within.

Posted 9 Years Ago


NeiL ArandA

9 Years Ago

You nailed that and right on target . The best and most expensive violin in the world were made and .. read more
This is beautiful Neil, I love it! It is a shame that people do not watch where they are stepping and trample over the most sensitive souls... leaving dirty footsteps all over their hearts. You have captured the sadness of the forlorn... the loneliness of the outcasted...yet gave them the light of hope that even those cast aside are treasures in the eye of a butterfly.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

NeiL ArandA

9 Years Ago

waiting for your next visit
Ghost of Jupiter

9 Years Ago

I silently visit this one often...flutter in and flutter out without a sound... it is a lovely spot .. read more
NeiL ArandA

7 Years Ago

Don't stop writing K
Simply beautiful I love Dandelions.


Loved these stanza's lines here.
Then out of the blue, you came

Fluttering in your most gorgeous

gossamer wings

And you graze my flower...


thank you for sharing. blessings. kindred poet



Posted 9 Years Ago


NeiL ArandA

9 Years Ago

Wow thank you Ms Kindred Poet that you have graze my piece. I will return the favor and kindness you.. read more
Benita-Staebell M - KindredPoet

9 Years Ago

you're very welcome. blessings. kindred poet
More poems should be written about these glorious dandelions. Where I live, dandelions represent the main food source for hundreds of bee hives. Hundreds of pounds of dandelion honey are produced each year. Dandelions are also edible. Without dandelions, Nature would be out of balance. One reason for the decrease in the bee population is the use of chemicals that kill this honey bee's food source. Dandelions are allowed to grow on my lawn, and my neighborhood bees thank me for it. Be kind to the bees.

Posted 9 Years Ago


NeiL ArandA

9 Years Ago

Thank you Aethereal for finding this piece worthy of your time and attention.
Aethereal

9 Years Ago

Most people have no idea why I don't destroy my lawn's dandelions with chemicals as they do.
NeiL ArandA

9 Years Ago

They are flowers too once we get to know them ...and we teach them how to grow in rows :)
This poem made me think of the courage of child, left on the street to fend off for himself. Hardship would be less painful if someone has shown compassion and care just like what the butterfly did to the dandelion. The last stanza is my favorite as it talk about hope.

Posted 9 Years Ago


NeiL ArandA

9 Years Ago

First I love your new avatar . Thanks Gab for your insightful take on my piece . You are right on th.. read more
gabrielle

9 Years Ago

Welcome Neil. There are many interpretations that could be drawn from your poem. Thank you for appre.. read more
NeiL ArandA

9 Years Ago

Not vintage ..timeless perhaps . Yes so many you can still draw .

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

3311 Views
24 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on May 2, 2014
Last Updated on July 15, 2015
Tags: Friendship, Loneliness, Weeds and Butterflies, Compassion, Indifference, Hardships, Affluence, Poverty

Author

NeiL ArandA
NeiL ArandA

Pearl of the Orient Seas



About
JESUS AND THE SPARROWS Consider The Sparrow Here Jesus was walking alone along the Mediterranean Sea near Tiberius in the northern part of Israel and He offers seeds to some sparrows searchi.. more..

Writing
ABSCOND ABSCOND

A Poem by NeiL ArandA



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Aware Aware

A Poem by Sami Khalil