Amnesiac

Amnesiac

A Story by Lydia

     I take a deep breath as I turn the handle of room 7B of Cardons-Miachel Hospital. Hopefully there will be news of improvement waiting for me on the other side of the door, but I refuse to get my hopes up just to get them beaten down. As usual the only person who greets me is his mother, Ms. Nettles, who looks so much older than she did a month ago before everything happened. I take my seat beside her, and sit my bag and car keys on the table beside his hospital bed. I look over at him to find that he is asleep like he usually his. He only wakes up for a few hours everyday, and those are always so frustrating. Even though it's a little disappointing, I'd rather see him sleeping peacefully than being so confused. 


    "Any improvements?" I ask Ms. Nettles who stares straight at him like her gaze might make him magically remember all the memories he has lost. Like it might make him remember her, me, and himself for that matter.


    "Not really. He woke up for about thirty minutes at about two o'clock this morning. The nurse, and I asked him the same questions as always, but he still couldn't tell us who he was, and he didn't know me. We asked him a few other questions, but he didn't answer any of them correctly. Then he just drifted back to sleep," she explained with a small shrug of her bony shoulders.


 I nodded since there wasn't much else to say.


    "We asked him what year it was, and he said it was 1894," she told me, chuckling slightly at the memory. A small smile formed on my lips. If we weren't able to laugh at some of the stuff we'd be crying constantly. Even though it was kind of humorous it was still a painful reminder that he isn't the same Denver that we know.


   "I miss my boy," she says quietly. I look over at her with sympathetic eyes as she presses her lips together and shakes her head. Her greying hair brushes across her back and shoulders as she does so. I try my best not to cry around Denver's family. I feel guilty when I do. Why should I cry? It was her son. I can't understand what it feels like for your child to not know who you are. But I do know what it feels like for your boyfriend, whom you've loved deeply for two years, to not remember you.


   Denver stirs in his sleep, and both of our heads shoot up to see if he might awaken. He doesn't, though, just winces slightly as if he is having a bad dream. I wish all of this was just a bad dream.

 
   We fall back into silence once we realize that he isn't going to wake up for now. All of these silent days in this hospital room leave me way too much time to go over that day in my head, and what I could have done differently. It was about a month ago, and we had been hanging out at the arcade just enjoying our last summer break together before college. It was starting to get kind of late, and I didn't want to miss my curfew, so I asked him if we could go home. We had drove his car to the arcade, but his brother needed it so we traded him the car for his motorcycle. Once we reached the parking lot Denver realized that his brother had only brought one helmet. He insisted that I use it. I didn't think much about it, and I quickly snapped it on  and climbed onto the motorcycle. We were riding, the wind blowing my hair back when suddenly there was honking, screaming, and then I don't remember anything after that. I woke up in the hospital the next morning with minor injuries, and was released within two days. Denver obviously didn't have it that easy. When he was thrown off the motorcyle he hit his head, and since he wasn't wearing a helmet it did a good bit of damage. When the doctors told me that he had amnesia I hardly believed them. The only time I'd ever heard of someone having amnesia was in some cheesy chick flicks I'd watched with my friends. It didn't seem real.


   Ever since then I've spent every day here. As mentioned before, he slips in an out of conciousness all the time. When he does wake up either Ms. Nettles, one of the nurses, or myself will ask him questions to see if he will remember. The doctor said that the type of amnesia he has usually doesn't last more than a couple months. So, any day now he might wake up and suddenly remember everything. Well, it will probably take a few days for everything to come back, but you get what I mean.
 Denver lets out a quiet moan, and once again his mother, and my own heads shoot up again. This time we find that his eyes are open, and he is glancing around the room frantically. It doesn't alarm us like it used to. "You take it this time," Ms. Nettles insists, patting me on the knee before slipping out the door. She obviously doesn't have much confidence that today is the day.

 

   I watch Denver's eyes follow her as she shuffles into the hallway. His breaths quicken as he starts to try to get up. I quickly jump up, and come over to the side of his bed where I grab him by the shoulders, and lightly push him back down. It really must be terrifying to wake up, and not know where you are, or who you are.


   His deep green eyes stare into mine, lacking the twinkle they used to have. "W-who are you?" he stutters out, still looking as if he is in a panic.


    It doesn't matter how many times I hear that question, it still hurts me. I force a smile anyways, and sit down on the edge of the bed. "You don't remember me?," I question as if it takes me by surprise, "Of course you know me. I'm your-" I start, but then stop once I see the look on his face. He doesn't look panicked anymore, just sort of confused. He furrows his brow, and frowns as if he is in deep thought. This is progress. He never gets out of the panic stage.


  "What is it?" I ask him, but he doesn't look at me. He just continues to stare at the floor with that deep-in-thought look in his eyes. I watch him, waiting for him to say something, and inwardly pleading that he won't slip back into the comatose state he spends most of his time in. Then his eyes flick upwards, and he is staring at me again. I shift uncomfortably under his studying gaze. Then a look of recognition sweeps over his soft features, and his head snaps back as if he had ran into something.


   His eyes widen, and his mouth forms an 'o' shape. "Alana...," he speaks softly.


    My heart starts to beat fast, and I can hardly contain my excitement. He said my name. I fight back the urge to go get his mom, and instead allow myself a huge smile. The corners of Denver's mouth twitch upward slowly. He looks like the boy I know. The one who loved to laugh, and was always smiling. "You remember me?"


 He nods his head slowly as if he can hardly believe it hisself, and his hair falls over his eyes. He flicks his head just like he always used to. "How could I forget?" he asks so effortlessly.


   For a minute I'm stunned, and I just stare at him in disbelief. "I am pretty unforgettable," I reply, hoping that my sarcasm will make him remember even more. He c***s his head to the side, and then he laughs. His laugh was always so contagious, and before I know it I'm laughing with him. Then he opens his arms, and pulls me into him. I bury my face in his shoulder, and I can't hold back the tears any longer. Atleast they are happy tears. I pull my head up, and wipe at my eyes. "I missed you so much," I choke out. Denver slips his hands to the back of my neck, cradling my head in his hands. He pulls my face closer to his, and gently presses his lips to mine. I can't believe my Denver is back.

 

   Then, I hear the door open, and I pull away quickly to find Ms. Nettles standing in the doorway with her hand still on the doorknob. She used to act extremely uncomfortable whenever Denver and I would do anything remotely affectionate, but this time a huge smile spreads across her face. "Denver?" She gasps just as dumbfounded as I was only a few minutes ago. I look over at Denver whose toothy grin has spread across his face once again as he makes his second recognition of the day. "I'm back...mom," he says before she runs over and they embrace.

 Mother and son reunited.


 

© 2012 Lydia


Author's Note

Lydia
Thoughts, and critique welcome!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Cut the 1st paragraph. It’s dull (sorry) I think cutting into a conversation is more mysterious! Instead of “I nodded...” try, “I had no response.” It’s snappier.
I think for the title you should focus more on your character’s feelings rather than the surroundings. Surroundings don’t reveal who your character really is. I want to know her. Good points, with Denver. Nice. That’s the juiciest bit of the story – milk it for all it’s worth!
Spacing “Atleast”
I don’t like the last line. I’d like this story more romance based to really get emotion out of me!

Posted 11 Years Ago


wow this is so romantic..and i love the ending..i actually didnt see it coming..i thought it would end as him still being amnesiac and sad..but WOW you turned it around...my favorite line was the ending..it was short and sweet..i love your stories. PLEASE WRITE MORE STORIES..u have a real talent for both stories AND poems...:o you are truly talented. :D

Posted 11 Years Ago


I like this a lot. I will say, your paragraphs are a little bulky. Consider making them a little smaller. Also, consider starting the scene where it begins, in the room and then adding the info later. I love the message: motorcycle safety/life can change/be lost in a blink of an eye, and I love the setting of it all. The end was well done, not corny, but touching. I like how his mom is happy, not judgmental. You have created real and likable characters here who are true to real life situations. A great write. I was hooked from start to finish.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Just two things-hisself and atleast. They were together. But seriously, wow. Really great. I think you expressed how Alana and the mum felt amazingly well. Good job :) I love it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is a very heartwarming story. I like how you mentioned you've only seen Denver's kind of condition in cheesy chick flicks. I can totally relate to that kind of feeling. Life is a very funny experience, especially when you undergo what feels like a scene in a movie. But you know how they always say, your life flashes before your eyes right before you pass away... Well, this way you won't be bored watching your life :) I can only imagine the feeling you must've had when he returned! It makes me happy to read a good story.

Posted 11 Years Ago


i am at a loss for words. you are a supremely talented youngster. amazing work. keep at it :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


For one so young you write very well. No exaggeration or examples of treh pen running away with you. Just keep reading and writing and soon you will be well-known I am sure.
ATB
Alex.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Amnesiac....A word i learnt from my fav mexican series(Rafaela).I could feel what Alana and Ms. Nettles felt.So vividly illustrated and nicely done work.Brava

Posted 11 Years Ago


I really enjoyed this, you moved emotionally from willfully hopeful, but overall worn down to joyousness so seamlessly. You've done a wonderful job here. It was a very nice warm fuzzy short story.

Posted 11 Years Ago


It's a nice happy story, good write!

Posted 11 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

736 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on May 29, 2012
Last Updated on June 21, 2012

Author

Lydia
Lydia

Enchanting Wonderland of Fantasies, AL



About
Hello, people of Writerscafe.org! Here are some random questions to get to know me better: 1. What's your favorite candle scent? Anything that has some kind of baked good in the name. 2. What f.. more..

Writing
Over Again Over Again

A Book by Lydia



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Anomalies Anomalies

A Story by The Jay


Pandemonium Pandemonium

A Poem by Lydia