Good Enough

Good Enough

A Story by Lydia

  "I don't think you should do this," he says for what seems like the hundredth time today. He doesn't understand what I go through everyday. He doesn't understand what it feels like for your parents to constantly put you down. No one seems to understand anything. I slam my hands down on the vanity, and hold back a scream that gurgles in my throat. I clench my jaw, and press my lips together in an attempt to not go off on him. I hate when people who have no idea what they're talking about try to convince me to not do something. I look at him through the mirror because I can't bear to look him in the eyes right now. "Daniel, I have to leave. I can't take it anymore. I'm sick of being put down, and always being told that I'm not good enough. Dang it, I am good enough!" The last part comes out as a shout, and I try to hide the tears that are making my vision blurry.

 
   "What about me? You're just going to leave me here?" he asks so calmly as if my outburst didn't even happen. Sometimes I can't believe how selfish he is. Yes, I am going to just leave him here. I love him and all, but sometimes just loving somebody isn't enough. It has to be two-sided, and right now I don't feel like it is.

 
   "What about you? This doesn't have anything to do with you, Daniel. This is about me finding a place where I can feel like I'm worth something. It's not about you, or us, or anything like that. Why do you have to be so selfish?" I shout back at him. He winces as if he's been slapped. My trembling hands reach for the suitcase in the closet, and I lower it onto my bed. Maybe I am being too harsh on him. Maybe it's true that he really is trying to help me out. Maybe he does care.


    I feel his arms wrap around my waist, but I push him away. I purse my lips as I fight off the sudden urge to hug him, and just let it all go. I unzip the suitcase, and begin to go through my drawers to find clothes. I don't even pay attention to what I put in there. Whatever I don't bring I'll get whenever I get to wherever I'm going. I still haven't really figured that part out, yet. Where I'm going, that is. I figure that is the least important factor at the moment.


   When I turn around to pack another pile of clothes I find Daniel unpacking my clothes just as fast as I'm packing them.

   "What are you doing?" I demand. His big brown eyes look up at me, and I feel my arms go weak.

 

   "Just calm down, okay? You're just upset right now. Once everything between you and your parents settle down it will all be alright. You need to think this through more, Savannah." He opens his arms, and I feel my legs moving toward him. I have to stop letting him make my desicions. I reluctantly halt my movements, and shake my head.


    "I've thought it through long enough. I've been thinking about it for two years now. Does it even matter to you what I go through with them?"


   He sighs like it's such a hard question to answer. I wait for a good thirty seconds, but he stays silent with his head lowered, his blonde hair blocking his face so I can't see his expression. "That's what I thought," I scoff and grab the clothes he unloaded and throw them back into the suitcase. I begin to zip it back up, but he grabs my arm.


     "It does matter to me. But what are you going to do after you leave? You have nowhere to go. You're seventeen years old, just a kid, and face it, Savannah. You'll never make it out there in the real world. If you leave, you'll be back by next week." I can't keep the anger from showing on my face. How dare he? How dare he tell me that I can't make it? I jerk my arm away from him, and storm out the door. I'll show them what this "kid" can do. So, I slam the door behind me, and I don't look back. I leave with a smile on my face, and not a single goodbye.

© 2012 Lydia


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

"When I turn around to pack another pile of clothes I find Daniel unpacking my clothes just as fast as I'm packing them." I love that line..:) i think this was a good story but I feel like it was a chapter in a book...maybe you should make it into a book...im eager to know what happens to savannah..but then again, making into a book would ruin the dramatic ending and intense beginning..so either way its fine. your story rocked. the ending gave the reader a chance to imagine what happend to savannah. TWO THUMBS UP! :D bravo!

Posted 11 Years Ago


I really liked this! Kept me reading it the whole time, and then I was disappointed when it ended :( I think you should make a second part to this, because it is really good!

Posted 11 Years Ago


I would love to see what happens next. I love the courage of the character to do what is needed and best for her. A nice prelude would be the circumstance that pushed her over the edge, or, rather, in the next scene. There is no way something like this wouldn't inspire doubt after acting upon it, but I am sure her decision is sound. I like Daniel's character. He is a perfect devil's advocate, because you can believe he cares, and doesn't agree from a viable perspective. One question: did she leave with nothing or did she finish packing?

Posted 11 Years Ago


Catera, Daniel is supposed to be her boyfriend.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Can't quite figure if Daniel is the protagonist's partner or a parent. Sets the scene well, but I do feel this is a scene-setter for a journey to come. This is only the second piece of yours that I have read (I will read more); I find that you like to rattle along at a fast pace. This usually is the mark of an author who does not like to waste words embellishing the scene, but rather allows the reader to fill in the picture. I like that. I also like the word 'kid' as a term of endearment, although you do not use it as such; this has caused me bother in the past.
ATB
Alex.

Posted 11 Years Ago


This could get on more in a 2nd part.Nice,interesting,great piece!You're a great writer!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Ooh I hope u do make more. This story seems like the one that goes: Main character finally has enough, leaves out to anywhere, and goes on a sad and frustrating life changing adventure with a bit of suspense in it.
Great story btw!! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Sophie, that is a really good idea! I might just do that.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I think you should make this longer, continue her journey. Maybe not a book, but like, "good enough part 2" and so on. Really well written, can't wait for more! Message me if you decide to write more to it :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


This made me sad. I mean, it wasn't written particularly sad, she was angry. But it felt like that sadness you get when you're facing an inevitable tragedy. For him or her, or both, I'm not sure. I felt it was written well though.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

356 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 2, 2012
Last Updated on June 2, 2012

Author

Lydia
Lydia

Enchanting Wonderland of Fantasies, AL



About
Hello, people of Writerscafe.org! Here are some random questions to get to know me better: 1. What's your favorite candle scent? Anything that has some kind of baked good in the name. 2. What f.. more..

Writing
Over Again Over Again

A Book by Lydia



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


15. 15.

A Poem by SuicidePact.


Fade Fade

A Poem by Lydia