The interview of The Unknown Giant

The interview of The Unknown Giant

A Story by The Turnip
"

This is a fictitious interview regarding a short story collection I have in the works.

"

The new book by Charlie William to be published by Charlie and The Primer Bulbs Publishing September 2009.

 

A rare interview with the author.

Interviewer Kennith Roxroth: How are you today?

Charlie William: umm . . . ok.

KR: So you have a new book, Whats it about?

CW: Ahh . . . its umm, its, about a lot of things.

KR: Whats your favorite character from the novel?

CW: Possibly the woman with the lions . . . or the asexual male prostitute.

KR: The woman with the lions – what inspired that?

CW: Recently it has seemed to me that a great deal of social change is going to take place well within our life time. And the most fundamental aspects of every day sociology and even interpersonal relationships are going to go places that we would never begin to imagine within the world of today.

KW:And you attempt to imagine?

CW: Someone needs to.

KR: What kind of places?

CW: Like . . . sex or friendship, drug culture, emotions, jobs, technology, religion, God, death, – The book begs the question – what will become of the man of tomorrow?

KR: Is it science fiction?

CW: Not in the generally accepted way. It does have to do with the shape and form of the world of tomorrow and it does have a lot of social commentary, but there are no flying cars or sex bots.

KR: No sex bots?

CW: Not in this one. I made it a personal goal not to include a single sex bot – I hate the idea. It has just been too over played. I think as a society we can – if we try hard enough - to come up with much more twisted outlets for our sexual urges. - And I think we will.

KR: So this is a short story collection?

CW: It is. But it has a nice frame to the stories. There is rhyme and reason to why these stories are being told – a kind of story within the story.

KR: Who is telling the stories?

CW: I wont say, but let be known that he is a very large man. With an unheard of amount of filangies.

KR: Filiangies?

CW: Yeah, you know, fingers.

KR:Oh. What was your favorite part to write?

CW: Ahh . . . once again maybe the woman with the lion. That was a fairly intense scene.

KR: And really disturbing.

CW: But does it seem so unlikely?

KR: Crowds and all?

CW: Yeah.

KR. Maybe not.

CW: I'm not attepting to say these things will happen or even that this will be the direction that the world will follow. I'm simple stating that baring in mind all of the past and most importantly the last few decades, its not so unrealistic. Although, on an earlier note, I would have to say that the store titled "The journalist" was the easily the hardest to write.

KR: Why?

CW: Largely because the story contained the most hard toothed play on facts and figures. Plus, it was all in first person. I hate writing in first person – and there was less fiction - but it seemed necessary for the whole of the book.

KR: What is the average length of each story?

CW: That varies a lot. There are a few stories that are barely two pages while a few creep past thirty six pages. There where some comments that deserved more time then others. . . .plus its fun to keep everything varied and this way makes it easier for all the parts to imply all the other parts.

KR: What do you think about being published by the infamous Charlie and the Primer Bulbs Publishing?

CW: I knew they where a band but I had no idea they where also a publishing house. I guess I'm neutral assuming they get the book out there.

KR: Have you heard their music?

CW: Yeah I have. I wont say I like it. Who combines Chicago jazz and delta blues with 70s punk? Its different and avant-guard, but perhaps its a little too abstract for me. I prefer at least somewhat linear lyrics.

KR: Have you heard how he writes his lyrics?

CW: ( Giggles ) Yeah. From what I understand he collects words he hears through out the day, writes them on a big piece of paper and shoots at them with a handgun. The words that remain become a song.

KR: It almost seems fitting that these guys should be publishing your book.

CW: ( Laughs ) Yeah, I suppose so.

 

An Exert from the intro to Chapter three:

 

     "Because there existed days which required such action, because of static and fiction or walls curving and become buckled, it seemed most beneficiary to the youth to take a simple slow walk. For regardless of the placement of the sun or temperament of weather, one with little doubt always benefits from the removal of ones self from familiar environments. And having a deep understanding of this, the youth took upon his walking with above all leisure in mind and a particular detachment from any predetermined path or pace. Where he should go took little president from the off set and yet, would come to take less impact upon his thoughts and considerations as he went on his way. From past experiences and impressions, the areas could be bloody red iron works or lush open fields that to walk through where to walk through open waters, and these did little more then mumble simple incomprehensible things to him in a seemingly foreign tongue. Often times during these outings thoughts would come to mind so effortlessly and leave and create with a smoothness not unlike the transition from one sleeping dream to another. When startled from his waking slumber by an especially abstract thought, it took massive consideration to track from where it rose."


Critical accl..

"It is art-and more vivid and alive and meaningful than our own living." - Newsweek

 

"An extraordinarily accomplished first novel" - New Yorker

 

"An electric piece of work that takes off like a screaming rocket. It sizzles, it snaps, it dazzles. It's one whoosh of a book.!" - Woman's Wear Daily

 

"One of the most compelling and brilliant challenges any contemporary writer has raised against the absurd jurisdiction of death." - The Washington Post

 

© 2008 The Turnip


Author's Note

The Turnip
This is a fictitious interview regarding a short story collection I have in the works.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

155 Views
Added on May 28, 2008

Author

The Turnip
The Turnip

Dnever, CO



Writing
I Am Victor I Am Victor

A Story by The Turnip