Fear

Fear

A Story by The Uncommon Muse
"

Short piece about fears

"

She clasped the baby tightly, her eyes wild with fear and determination.  “I won’t give her up!” she hissed as she backed away from me.

 

“Leah” I soothed, “Give the child back to me.  You know you can’t do this.  She is not yours.”  I walked slowly towards her as the hospital staff and the child’s mother watched anxiously from the other side of the nursery’s glass wall.

 

For every step I took towards her, Leah took one backward, clutching the little pink bundle in her arms.  I looked into her eyes, careful not to break contact with her.  It was imperative that I keep her focused and keep her from fleeing with the child.  I knew she must look like a lunatic to those on the other side of the glass wall, but I knew better.

 

Leah was one of the hospital’s best pediatric nurses.  She adored her job and patients sang her praises in letter after letter to the hospital, but this case, this child, had been the final straw that broke her heart and her reason. 

 

The child’s fifteen year old mother was a meth addict who spent more time high than she did sober.  This was the grim inheritance of the pink-bundled innocent, born an addict, destined to be raised by a mother who was still a child herself.  

 

“She doesn’t deserve her!” Leah spat, angry tears magnifying the anguish in her eyes.  “I have to save this baby!” 

 

Leah was consumed with fear that Children’s Services would give the child to its mother.  She had seen the system fail numerous times and desperate not to let that happen again, Leah had attempted to abduct the child, but an unexpected shift change had caused confusion and thwarted her escape.

 

“Leah, you know that’s not your decision to make.  If the child is in danger, Children’s Services will ensure she is taken care of.” 

 

“You and I both know Children’s Services will just give her back to her mother, Officer Jenkins, don’t patronize me.  I am saving this child from a lifetime of pain and addiction, from a mother who cannot care for her as well as I can!”

  

She drew the child tighter to her chest, causing the baby to whimper softly.  Leah soothed her gently as her fear-clouded eyes silently beseeched me to just let her leave.

 

“Leah, this is not the way to save her.  I know you love these children.  Stop and think.  Do you want to give up everything you’ve worked for?  Do you want to spend your life running from the law?  What kind of life is that for the baby?  You can still do so much good Leah, dont throw it all away." 

 

I held my breath as I watched the emotions chase themselves across her eyes, waited for the truth of my words to penetrate the fear shrouding her mind.   

 

Leah’s shoulders bowed as sanity returned and she whispered, “I just wanted to save her.”

 

I walked forward those last few steps and took the child from her unresisting arms.

 

“I know, Leah, I know.” 

© 2010 The Uncommon Muse


Author's Note

The Uncommon Muse
What do you think of the piece?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I liked this. Your poems are good, but I liked this story especially. This woman reminds me of the mother in Chuck Palahniuk's, "Choke." I'd like to see you write more fiction.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Building Leah's character, there was a lot of deep emotion. If you were expanding on the piece, it might be interesting to include mentions of how she has dealt with similar situations in the past.

Posted 13 Years Ago


That was a very moving and successful piece. I found myself trying to keep from crying (which I would have) as I continued to read it. Very emotional and very beautifully written. I love it and can't wait to read and see more of your works.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

268 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 2, 2010
Last Updated on June 2, 2010

Author

The Uncommon Muse
The Uncommon Muse

Tallahassee, FL



About
I'm a writer focusing on erotica, fiction and poetry. I love creating characters and breathing life into them. I rarely write poetry just to write poetry. My poetry is intensely personal and is wri.. more..

Writing