Thought of You Today

Thought of You Today

A Poem by Theresa
"

My Grandfather and I always celebrated our birthdays together and it is especially hard this time of year.

"

I decorated my tree today

And I thought of you underneath the ground where you lay

The heartache started as the tears began to brew

Then I turned and was greeted by your smile as if on cue

Your picture sitting on top of my wine rack

Facing my tree, facing me, bringing me back

Back to a time when you were here

The burn grew in my eyes and then I dropped a single tear

I wiped it from my cheek with my finger tip

Walked to my glass and took a sip

I hoped it would make the pain go away

Or atleast numb the pain that was caused by that day

It made it worse causing tears to spill down my cheek

I wanted to look at you again even if it was just a peek

I mustered the courage since for you I could never deny

And there you were staring at me with you baby blue eyes

I took a deep breathe and this is what I had to say

I miss you on this day and I hope you are in heaven enjoying your birthday

Happy Birthday Grandpa I love you and Miss you! 

© 2009 Theresa


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Grandparents are becoming the lost generation in our society and it's wonderful to see an expression of love for them. Nice piece.

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is such a beautiful piece, with such heartfelt emotion that I had a lump in my throat. Really powerful and so well written. The loss of someone dear to us is always painful, but even more so poignant on special occasions when the normal happiness of the moment and the history of that occasion contracts so much with the loss in the present. I really felt this poem's meaning and could totally (unfortunately) empathise; a very special poem.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Your words brought tears to my eyes. My father passed away during last years holidays. Your reference to Grandpa made me think of my son and niece's pain. Sorry for your loss my dear. Keep writing it helps.

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is such a beautiful expression of love to your grandfather... What wonderful memories you shared, and still treasure... So sorry for your loss.. He seemed a most wonderful man to have in your life...

Posted 14 Years Ago


A beautiful poem. We need to remember our missed love one's. Description and your story brought me into the poem. I remember my Grandparent daily. Their wisdom became my wisdom.
Coyote

Posted 14 Years Ago


Touching and very heartfelt! Thank you for sharing an emotional piece!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Aww!! :)) I love this poem. It's written with a lot of heart!
I can just feel the love radiating off the words.
Great job!

Posted 14 Years Ago


I thought maybe I had already commented on this poem. It's very heart-felt indeed. I lost my grandfather many years ago, but still think of him often. I find it's better to use the energy to think of the good times rather then his being gone. We have to be willing to believe they're always with us in some way and consider them when we accomplish each task or goal as though there right there with us, even though we dont see them.

Posted 14 Years Ago


This was emotional and very sad.
I very much enjoyed reading this.
It reminds me of my grandmother, who she may rest in peace.


Posted 14 Years Ago


My paternal grandmothers birthday is Nov. 25, mine Nov. 28. We enjoyed celebrating together, which also included fantastic Thanksgiving meals at her home. She's been gone 8 years now. I miss her and can relate so well to this poem. Funny how Thanksgiving/Birthdays just aren't the same without her. I miss her spirit, laughter and her dang cigarettes that she left burning in every ashtray because she was too busy talking to smoke them!! lol Thank you for sharing this with us and God Bless YOU over the holidays.
Peace n Light

ps. remember, we are never alone!

Posted 14 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1121 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on December 8, 2009

Author

Theresa
Theresa

Patchogue, NY



About
I am 25 years old and I am only one semester away from my bachelor's degree in Marketing, but now decided I wanted to go back to my first dream; becoming a writer. I've always loved to write and I jus.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Anna Chapter 1 Anna

A Chapter by Theresa


Chapter 2 Dean Chapter 2 Dean

A Chapter by Theresa


Chapter 3 Anna Chapter 3 Anna

A Chapter by Theresa



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..