In Times of Melancholy

In Times of Melancholy

A Story by Charley Rix
"

It was all his fault, but he never expected this. It is time to move on, but why is it so hard?

"

                He leaned against the cold railing. The sun shone brightly in the cloudless blue sky. He felt betrayed by the sun’s rays of warmth. The surrounding air on the roof was chilly and piercing, just like any other November.

It wasn’t supposed to happen like this

His eyes closed as his head fell into his hands like a dead weight. He felt tears burn behind his eyelids, threatening to pool into his hands. He tried, hard, to keep his sobs in his dry, scratchy throat. He started to shake; he really should have brought a jacket. The wind ruffled his short brown hair, shifting the tangles that he had put there hours before.

                He became aware of the boxy lump in his pants pocket. He wished he could forget, or better yet, if this never happened in the first place.

God, this is all my fault.

 I’m so stupid!

                He punched the concrete wall when, accompanied with his thoughts, tears spilled onto his cheeks. Now it was even harder to choke back sobs and a few escaped his throat. The pain in his hand was burning. But that was nothing compared to ache of his heart.

                He moved his sleeve up to his face to wipe away the tears. His face felt red, hot and puffy. Pushing his head back to catch the wind to cool him down, he leaned against the concrete. His emerald green sweater was thin, the wind easily cutting through it. His jeans were black and boot cut, barely hiding his back socks and tennis shoes.

                His hand moved to touch his face and feel the puffiness around his eyes. One thing kept repeating in his head-

It’s all my fault, I wish this didn’t happen.

The sight from the rooftop was as beautiful as it was deceiving. The rooftop over looked a lake of crystal, the water was the most extravagant of blues-

Just like her eyes

He shakes his head, trying to relax again. He didn’t realize that he was gripping the pale, grime covered concrete railing until he looked down to face his white knuckles. Releasing the railing from the grip, he looked at the brilliant oranges and reds of the forest, shifting his weight back and forth.

                He then became aware of the cube he had forgotten about in his pocket. Struggling to keep his face neutral and calm, he reached his unmarred hand into his pocket and pulled out the box. The box is an onyx black, smooth and velvety to the touch; the jeweler’s band embroidered into the top in white. With shaky hands, he opened the cube with unknown delicacy.

                There lay a ring. It was a simple ring. A ring adorned in garnet, her birthstone, sapphire, his birthstone and a diamond set carefully in the center. He always said that the sapphire matched the color of her eyes. It was her favorite gemstone.

There was no need for this anymore

                He took the ring out of the box and held it in his hand for a moment. He had made up his mind and threw the ring as far as he could off the roof. His eyes followed the ring’s travel to the lake, glistening in the sun and landing with a plop. He remembered the engraving before the ring drifted to the bottom of the lake; Forever and Always.

                Quickly the box followed the ring and he felt warmth and tension pull behind his eyes again, another sob caught in his throat. Covering his mouth with his hand, he decided that now would be a good time to leave; a good time to say one last final goodbye.

                He smiled just a bit for the first time in months as he realized that she would finally be able to leave this place. She had been here for a long time; so has he. He walked to the door to the staircase passing a blue sign with an H and a down arrow on it. The stairs were shorter than before he realized.

                He walked solemnly through the white, sterilized hallways of the hospital. He knew the way by heart for he had been here a long time.

© 2011 Charley Rix


Author's Note

Charley Rix
I would love any reviews and your opinion on what you think happened.
Thank you for reading.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I think it's very nice, in a simple way. And I like that.
I like the simplicity. As I read it, I could feel the pain but it was also released at the end with the character. I very much liked the end and when you read the story again it's better than the first time.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I well like this:)

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
2 Reviews
Added on September 25, 2011
Last Updated on September 25, 2011

Author

Charley Rix
Charley Rix

About
My name is Charley Rix. I write short stories of whatever inspires me. I hope you enjoy my Writing. ~TheyCallMeTheDoc more..

Writing