Ch. 33: It All Falls Down

Ch. 33: It All Falls Down

A Chapter by Tina Bee
"

Myra learns that not every story has a happy ending.

"

Over the next six weeks things were not the same. Mom finding out about my sexual experience with Jimmy had pushed her over the edge and she called up a clinic to get me on some type birth control. Lucky for me they had absolutely no appointments until the middle of September. Until then I was on complete lock down. Anywhere mom went I had to follow. I was allowed to talk to whoever called me, but there was no sneaking out.

 

I talked to Amber, Violetta, and sometimes Jimmy on a daily basis. I tried hard to keep up with the search going on for Eliza. The day after the detectives left her story was plastered all over the news stations. Some whack job at the local newspaper had gotten inside information which of course stated I was connected to this case and the news was printed up and distributed for the entire city to read.

 

The effect was phenomenal. Suddenly everyone wanted to know where Eliza Clovers was. There was a press conference every other day on the search for her and that turned up hundreds if not thousands of leads. Almost every night Eliza's aunt was on the news pleading for her safe return. People drove back and forth from here to Gilroy just to search for her. By the end of week number two Eliza's cell phone was found in a cornfield about thirty miles from south of Gilroy.

 

That night I cried on the phone with Amber who was always reassuring me that none of this was anyones fault.

 

"It was supposed to be a night of fun and Eliza should've known better than to go off with a stranger," Amber would say vehemently.

 

I didn't have to the heart to tell anyone of the last conversation I'd had with Eliza. I replayed it in my head over and over and over again. I remember telling her to go because I was so focused on being alone with Jimmy. Other times I'd remember how Jimmy and I had saved her from killing herself that same morning. Whenever I thought of it all I immediately had to vomit.

 

Some days I found myself on my bathroom floor crying my eyes out. Mom was of little condolence. Any chance she could get she reminded me that I could be in Eliza's shoes right now.

 

"And who would be crying over you? Who would care that someone had taken you and your loved ones didn't know where you were?" Mom would ask me and this would cause me to break down in even more sobs.

 

My brothers learned of Eliza's disappearance from their friends. Once my name was dropped the protesters were back in full swing like somehow their cause had been renewed. Some wore, "Where's Eliza?" t-shirts that her aunt was making to spread awareness of her disappearance. I was being blamed for Eliza's disappearance and this time around I didn't fight the protestors. Somehow, deep down inside me, I knew it was true. If only I'd told Eliza no. If only, if only, if only.

 

By the first week of August Greg had come back from Florida. Once he'd heard about the new developments he rushed right over. All I remember is crying in his arms as he consoled me. However because of my past actions Greg and I had to be down in the living room which made things awkward.

 

On this day, a week after Greg's return, we sat on the couch watching TV. It had gotten to the point that my tears flowed on their own and I needed little provocation to start crying.

 

"It's almost the first day of school," Greg announced and I looked at him as butterflies floated around in my stomach.

 

"I know, but mom has decided to put me on home study," I told him and he looked relieved.

 

"Which is good. You'll get more work done and you won't be distracted," Greg said and I was a little thrown off by his take on this.

 

"Yes, I'll be here all day with nothing to do, but cry my heart out," I told Greg and just looked at me.

 

"You don't have to cry. One day that girl will come home and all this will be long forgotten. Try worrying about yourself for a change. It's what Cadence always tells me," Greg said to me like that would cheer me up.

 

Greg spent most of his time on the phone with Cadence who lived on the east coast about three thousand miles away from us. She and Greg constantly professed their love to each other. It didn't matter who was around either. They were already making holiday plans for her to fly out and meet his parents before Greg left to Columbia University in New York.

 

"I wish I could find love," I told Greg and he said nothing to me.

 

David had yet to return one phone call or text message from me since I'd returned from my fateful trip. I even went as far as asking Sonny if he could call Joker's shop just to see if David was there, but he refused and cursed me out for being so stupid.

 

Talking to Jimmy was of no use because he mostly went on and on about the MySpace page he'd created for Eliza or about the next concert coming up in October. He simply bored me to death and at times I was grateful mom watched me like a hawk so I wouldn't be forced to spend time with him even though I liked The Crew.

 

I sent MySpace messages to everyone when I logged on so they would know I was thinking about them during this time. After all this I still didn't feel like an accepted member.

 

"You seriously need to get out of the house," Greg told me.

 

"I know, but I can't without my mom following me around," I said to him and sighed very deeply.

 

"Then go out with one of your brothers. I'm sure Mike wouldn't mind taking you around," Greg said to me and that was an idea I'd never even thought about.

 

"Maybe you're right. It's so boring in here and Buster is only entertaining for a little while," I said to Greg who laughed.

 

"I like your mom's little dog," Greg said and like clockwork Buster came running out of mom's room before she met Greg and I in the living room.

 

"I'm going out to the store. Is there anything that you two need?" Mom asked Greg and I.

 

"No thank you, Mrs. Freedmon," Greg said, but I wasn't as nice.

 

"We ran out of strawberries and I'd really love some pork rinds and lime. If you could grab me a bag of licorice and pretzels that would be nice. Oh and some fried chicken from the deli, I'd love you forever," I told me and she looked at me with narrow eyes.

 

"You sure do have an appetite on you," Mom commented and I knew despite her apprehension she'd bring me everything I'd asked for.

 

"Staying in the house all day does stuff to you," I told her in hopes that she'd relent and let me out of her sight for just a moment.

 

"Let's just hope you lose that tubbiness building in your thighs," Mom commented and I didn't take her seriously even I had noticed my weight gain over the passed few weeks, but I attributed it all to stress.

 

"Please," was all I responded to mom with and she just rolled her eyes as she picked up Buster and left.

 

"Now that we're alone," Greg said turning toward me, "I've been meaning to tell you that you're gaining weight."

 

"Yea and what?" I asked Greg who cocked his head like I was being idiotic.

 

"Remember, the night back in my car, could your weight gain have anything to do with it?" Greg asked me and I became confused.

 

"What are you talking about?" I asked so I could understand him.

 

"When was your last period?" Greg asked me flat out.

 

"Last month," I told him which was partly true.

 

I had some scanty bleeding, but it had relieved me of any worries in the menses department.

 

"Good, now you just need to work on losing it so you can get healthy again. It pains me to see you this way, Myra," Greg said to me and I started to smile.

 

"I know, but it's just the stress of this whole thing is getting to me," I told Greg and what happened the next moment would change my life forever.

 

The television screen flipped from its regularly scheduled program to breaking news. The image and wording at the bottom of my screen made my stomach flipped when I read the words: Remains Found.

 

Greg went to change the channel, but I told him to keep it there. The anchor began her report:

 

"This is live footage from Arroyo Grande where searchers have just uncovered the remains of what appears to be a human body. We're just getting word that investigators believe this body may belong to that of fourteen year old Eliza Clovers who vanished more than one hundred and fifty miles to the north in the city of Gilroy. Clovers is a local teen who's been missing since fourth of July weekend after she went to a concert with friends. Nothing has been confirmed as yet, but we will keep you updated on this story," the news anchor said and before Greg could speak to me I jumped up off the couch and ran upstairs to get my cell phone.

 

It was already ringing. The caller ID read Jimmy and I answered.

 

"It's on the news, they're saying they found her body!" I screamed into the phone and I could hear sobbing in the background.

 

"We just heard. Violetta was over visiting Eliza's aunt when a couple of detectives came over and told her that remains matching Eliza's description had been found. They don't usually do that unless the likelihood that it's the person," Jimmy told and I felt the room spin.

 

"How long have you known?" I asked realizing that the detectives couldn't have just left from Eliza's place.

 

"They were there about two hours ago. I'm guessing it just hit the news stations. Myra, I want you to know that none of this is anyones fault especially not yours," Jimmy said and the wailing in the background became even more intense.

 

"Who's that?" I asked, but I could already tell who it was.

 

"Amber, she's all shaken up. We all are really. This isn't good. Nothing like this has ever happened to one of us," Jimmy explained to me, but I could understand the totality of the situation.

 

"How long until they can positively ID the body?" I asked Jimmy and I could Greg coming up from behind me.

 

"It could be a week or maybe longer before they're sure. I'm guessing if it's her they'll need to pull dental records," Jimmy said I could hear him moving away from hysterical Amber.

 

"Where are you?" I asked him because I needed to be near them all.

 

"We're over at Robbie and Crystal's. It's pretty far from where you are though, but I'd be willing to meet you at the park in twenty minutes," Jimmy said and in my haste I agreed.

 

"I'll be there," I told him hanging up.

 

"Who was that?" Greg asked me.

 

"My friend, he was with me when Eliza disappeared and he wants to meet me at the park," I said and Greg looked angry.

 

"For what?" Greg asked me and I wasn't listening because I was too busy getting my shoes on.

 

"To talk. I haven't seen any of them since we left Gilroy almost two months ago and this whole thing has been hard on them. They've known Eliza since last year. They're like family. Eliza is their family. Not her aunt's family. No, not them," I said and I could feel myself rambling.

 

"You can't go out there in this state," Greg said to me, but I wasn't listening.

 

"She's their's, not hers, I don't know. I've got to get out of here," I said and now I was running to the front door.

 

I was greeted by the warmth of the sun which I'd been denied for so long. I didn't realize it, but I was running. I ran all the way to the park and at the sight of the swings I began to throw up. I could see Eliza and I sitting on the swing set the night we'd first met. She had been so happy and carefree. No troubles in the world. I was crying as I was threwup and I would've collapsed on the ground if Greg wouldn't have caught me.

 

"Myra, you need to get back in the house," Greg told me, but I could barely hear him.

 

"She was there on the swings. That's where she was and should still be," I told Greg and I knew I wasn't making any sense, but I couldn't stop.

 

My shirt was covered in vomit and I looked a mess. I was rocking back and forth by now and I held on tightly to Greg. I could see the concern in his eyes, but when I saw Jimmy approaching I tore away from him and ran toward Jimmy.

 

"Oh my God, are you ok?" Jimmy asked me with his eyes wild.

 

"No, no, no I just threw up all over myself over there by Greg," I said turning around to see Greg looking at Jimmy and I.

 

"We need to get you home," Jimmy said taking my hand.

 

"I will not leave. Eliza is over there!" I said pointing to the swing set that was now occupied by two small children.

 

"Please, calm down," Jimmy told me as he stroked my face that was vomit free.

 

"It can't be her," I told Jimmy through my tears.

 

"Nothings been confirmed yet," Jimmy said to me in a quieter tone, but his voice prevented it from sounding reassuring.

 

"Just the other day she was here. We rescued her, remember?" I asked Jimmy.

 

"Yes, I remember," Jimmy said sorrowfully and I knew I was upsetting him.

 

"Could it really be her?" I asked Jimmy hoping for some doubt to come from him.

 

"It could be," Jimmy said not sparing my feelings like others would have.

 

"What will we do if it's her, Jimmy? What will The Crew do? How will it go on?" I asked him and now we were moving toward Greg who was just standing there by my barf like an obedient dog.

 

"We have to go on," Jimmy answered me and that did nothing to calm me.

 

"Greg this is Jimmy, my friend," I said to him and they eyed each other and said low hello's.

 

"She needs to go home," Greg told Jimmy.

 

"I know, she's in a no shape to be out here like this," Jimmy agreed and Greg nodded his head in agreement.

 

They began walking me home and I knew I was going on like a lunatic. Before they could get me to my house Mike and LaTanya pulled up beside us.

 

"What is going on?" Mike asked jumping out of the passenger side seat.

 

"It's Eliza," was all I managed to get out.

 

"A body's been found and they think it might be hers," Greg told Mike who's eyes grew so full of concern he nearly knocked both Greg and Jimmy out of his way.

 

"Let me take her in, thank you both," Mike said taking my arm and leading me up the walkway.

 

"Mike, she was there that night when the stars were bright in the sky," I blabbered and he bit his lower lip with concern.

 

"Even in death the spirit still lingers," Mike replied to me and somehow this comforted me in a great way.

 

I wasn't even moving on my own or at least I had no recollection of it. I remember entering the house and seeing the television. The five o'clock news had just begun and Eliza's story was number one. Mike diverted me from there and let me up the stairs and into my room.

 

"I will change my shirt, but then I have to go back to the swings," I told him and he just stood there as I closed the door.

 

I went to my dresser and got a clean shirt and put on some shorts. I went to the door and opened it and now Mike was joined by LaTanya.

 

"She doesn't look good at all," LaTanya commented and Mike agreed.

 

"I don't think she should have been allowed to hear news like that. She's bereaved. I will wait until my mom comes home and then we can go to see the movie," Mike told LaTanya who I could see was smiling softly.

 

"We can stay with Myra as long as we need to. She's more important than some movie," LaTanya said.

 

"That's so beautiful," I blurted and started sobbing.



© 2013 Tina Bee


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

What an awful tragedy. Since Myra is throwing up all the time and
gaining weight, I wonder if she is pregnant.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

481 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 14, 2009
Last Updated on July 2, 2013


Author

Tina Bee
Tina Bee

Sacramento, CA



About
My new book, "The Brighter Side of Low" is now up for viewing. Read it today and new chapters have been added as of July 1, 2013. More chapters coming soon! I've completed my second book titled, "A.. more..

Writing
As We Knew It As We Knew It

A Story by Tina Bee


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Tina Bee